Start by marking “New Poems of Emily Dickinson” as Want to Read:
New Poems of Emily Dickinson

New Poems of Emily Dickinson

For most of her life Emily Dickinson regularly embedded poems, disguised as prose, in her lively and thoughtful letters. Although many critics have commented on the poetic quality of Dickinson's letters, William Shurr is the first to draw fully developed poems from them. In this remarkable volume, he presents nearly 500 new poems that he and his associates excavated from h ...more
Published September 24th 1993 by University of North Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about New Poems of Emily Dickinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Poems of Emily Dickinson

Sparrow
New Poems of Emily Dickinson -- a bold title! -- by William H. Shurr, with Anna Dunlap and Emily Grey Shurr, offers hundreds of new poems found within Emily's correspondence. Many of them are "fourteeners": a line of iambic tetrameter followed by a line of iambic trimeter. New Poems was published in 1993, and I recently spent a year obsessively reading it.

Emily Dickinson has a matchless, branching mind. Questions about her mostly return unanswered. Her secretive life repels investigative prying.
Roxana Toloza Chacón
Oct 16, 2016 Roxana Toloza Chacón rated it it was ok
This is not a comment on Emily Dickinson's poetry but on the entitled editing of the volume. There were some interest insights, but overall I disliked the tone and the work done. I'm just not sure I can get on board with this revision of material the author didn't even meant to present as such. I am aware there is a case to be made in favor of it, but I do not think I particularly enjoy it.
Katherine Martin
Nov 20, 2015 Katherine Martin rated it really liked it
Emily Dickinson has been a personal favorite of mine since a young age. Her odd habits and obscurity were a source of interest and contemplation to me. I had read many of her poems, but never sat and really studied her works until this book.
I felt that the compilation was very well done. Background information and research was very clear and well done. Some of the "new poems" were a bit odd and I question their being considered a poem, but either way it was a very interesting presentation of the
Louise
Oct 08, 2013 Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, poetry
I have to admit that I wasn't really paying attention when I picked this one up... got a pleasant surprise when I realized this included "new" poems that I'd never seen before. Shurr obviously worked very hard to extract these lost bits of poetry from Dickinson's letters, and the book is well-organized. My only complaint is that there's just a little too much academic blather going on -- great if you're looking for a super detailed discussion of what poetry is and how Dickinson's is distinct and ...more
Rheanne
Dec 22, 2015 Rheanne rated it liked it
Emily Dickinson's New Poems taught me the power that can be injected into a poem as short as four or five words. Her miraculous talent to pose something incredibly witty or inquisitive and thoughtful so quickly blows me away. This technique can be applied not only to poetry - I'm positive that it would also help in my prose writing to tighten up and rid myself of "showing not telling".
Sasha
Jul 11, 2016 Sasha added it
Shelves: poetry, poetics
Unsure how to evaluate this book, as it's not exactly a scholarly work, not quite lit crit, not quite a collection of poetry....but hey, it's Emily Dickinson!
Cherri-Ann Trust
Cherri-Ann Trust rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Waandora
Waandora rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2014
Sophiee
Sophiee rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
arynne Cavanaugh
arynne Cavanaugh rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Denise Foster
Denise Foster rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Suleiman Abualbasher
Suleiman Abualbasher rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Abdellah Salhi
Abdellah Salhi rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2017
Gena
Gena rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2008
Hklardizabal18yahoo.Com
Hklardizabal18yahoo.Com rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Giovanna
Giovanna rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Marielle Velasco
Marielle Velasco rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Joe Nilson
Joe Nilson rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2017
Elhadi Mamoun
Elhadi Mamoun rated it did not like it
Feb 04, 2015
Fergie
Fergie rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Maleny
Maleny rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Ekta
Ekta rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Mohamed Elbably
Mohamed Elbably rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Ljiljana Jelaska
Ljiljana Jelaska rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Lana Creer-Harris
Lana Creer-Harris rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Audrey Laing
Audrey Laing rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2017
Meribeth Seaman
Meribeth Seaman rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Carlabeckman
Carlabeckman rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • Monsieur Proust
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • The Art of Fiction
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O'Neill
  • The Little Locksmith
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...