Start by marking “Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)” as Want to Read:
Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)

Blind Fury (Anna Travis #6)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,308 ratings  ·  132 reviews
When the body of a young woman is discovered close to a highway service station, Detective Inspector Anna Travis is brought on to the team of investigators by her former lover and boss, Detective Chief Superintendent Langton. As more evidence is uncovered, the team realizes that they are contending with a triple murder investigation—and no suspect.

But then a mur
Published July 5th 2011 by Touchstone (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blind Fury, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

I've been happily reading the Anna Travis series by Lynda La Plante since the first book and enjoying them. Despite a few odds and ends that can be mildly annoying. Ongoing romantic angst, a tricky senior officer (in this case the early on love interest as well), and some seriously big books without always having quite enough story to fill out all of the pages.

BLIND FURY, unfortunately, nearly defeated me before the end. Which is a pity. Because the investigative elements of this book are actua
Michele Brenton
Oh dear. Perhaps it is because I have just read two extremely well written books in this genre that this one seems so clunky and awkward? I simply cannot force myself through it. I am on page 54 and already I want to hurl it across the room in irritation.

I have just finished reading The Distant Echo by Val McDermid and Knots & Crosses by Ian Rankin. This is no coincidence as I was shopping at the Range and they were selling crime novels at two for fiver and these are three of a set of four m
I am a huge fan of Linda LaPlante, even though some of her work does not always reach the levels of her best work. Who's among us does? Once, after she’d directed a successful TV series, I saw some interviews with the actor stars. They said she did enormous amounts of research and followed real case developments closely in writing her own screenplays. Frankly, it shows. One of the best things about her dramas, whether for the reading, listening, or watching audience, is the authenticity of the v ...more
Sam Still Reading
Jul 18, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have read the other books in the series
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read the other books in the series
I must say that I don’t take a lot of notice of the titles of Lynda La Plante’s DI Anna Travis novels, as I don’t think they usually relate to the actual novel. I suppose this book (the latest in the series) does, but you wouldn’t make the link until the end.

This book is about another murder case that DI Travis is working on, the murder of three women whose bodies were all found just off a London motorway. It’s a dead case with very few leads. Enter a murderer in gaol who specifically states he
Fiona Caldarevic
Haven't read a police crime book in ages, and what a delight. I'm a big fan of police shows, especially British ones, so can imagine exactly what this story would look like on TV.

There was a lot of detail, and the unfolding of the evidence was methodical and fascinating, even in the bits that were supposed to be tedious. But sometimes there was too much detail.. in the end especially. Hate it when some books don't tie up all the loose ends, but this book tied everything up and then some. It all
Detective Anna Travis has a serial killer on her hands. Someone is targeting prostitutes and killing them. The latest victim was found naked and by a truck stop. Anna and the rest of her unit have tried everything to identify the woman but she is a Jane Doe. With the trail growing cold, Anna’s boss is feeling the pressure to crack the case and soon. So when opportunity presents itself to Anna in the form of an offer from inmate, Cameron Welsh offering to help Anna track the killer, she can not p ...more
I know, after having read "The Talisman" I said I wouldn't read another La Plante. But my husband spotted it at a bookshop and bought it for me before I could stop him ... so I made my way through this slow mover: A couple of "cold cases" which are recognized as the work of a serial killer. La Plante has lost her touch and her editor has again left her in the lurch. In one interview Mike Lewis is questioning Smiley, the next moment "Langton pushes him relentlessly"! Another example is a photo Tr ...more
More of a three and a half than a four but definately not a three.....

I've read a few of Lynda La Plantes other books and can confirm this wasn't up to her usual standard.

Still so readable and you certainly feel compelled to keep turning those pages but the plot was a little flat.

This was a little predictable and felt a little farfetched. SPOILERS.............

I didnt think it was right how it ended.... especially Annas new mind frame after the Ken thing (not too big a spoiler).

Just felt flat i
I can't remember when I last read a book that was such a page-turner.

Being a fan of the Trial and Retribution and Prime Suspect television series, I was drawn to sample some of Lynda La Plante's writing, although a bit hesitant as I'm not a fan of crime fiction, and I am a terriby scaredy cat, so this was our first meeting.

"Blind Fury" is a book which is not about the writing at all, just purely and simply a pacey read. It's a murder mystery with no gruesome bits to make sleeping difficult, a c
Henry Stokes
I'll start by saying that the investigation elements and the main case are well done and really interesting. However that's half the story. The author spends half the time talking about a pointless and ridiculous romance. It comes across as pure fantasy, no one would act like that. The romance dialogue is cringe worthy and painful to read. I read it back to my girlfriend when I came across the romance parts and we both shared a good laugh at how ridiculous it was. Normally this would be forgivab ...more
Peter Herrmann
The police procedure aspects were engrossing (to me). Especially the interviews ... where Travis and her colleagues try to break down the suspects' (more than one suspect at one point) defenses. Hour after hour. Also the forensic aspect of needing to link every single detail of the crimes. I can see where other readers might find these aspects (interviews, forensics) very tedious. But they strike me as realistic (especially so after the author reveals - in a Q&A session at the end of my edit ...more
I cannot understand how anyone could give this book more than two stars. It was very poorly written and edited. But more than that, it was slow-moving and almost completely transparent. The characters were not well-developed. There were many inconsistencies. There are too many good books out there to waste your time on this one.
Really like Lynda La Plante novels and her characters in this book - Anna Travis and Inspector Langton.

The book opens with the discovery of a body in a ditch near the motorway service station. Eventually there are other murders linked together and the team have a serial murder on their hands.

A convicted serial murderer - Cameron Welsh - contacts Anna stating he has some information regarding these murders and wants a face-to-face meeting to discuss his theories.

A gripping police procedural, with
Bev Taylor
an anna travis mystery

to stop one killer they will have to trust one another

the body of a young girl is found close to a motorway service station. h/e they cannot identify her

then links appear with two other unsolved murders plus another one four years ago and one of these is a aged prostitute

but then a murderer, cameron welsh, known to anna makes contact and insists that he can help track the killer down. what is his true intention?

it was obvious less than half way thru the novel what woul
The beginning of this book was very slow. Actually it didn't exciting until page 200 or so which for a mystery is a very long time to wait for something exciting to happen. The conclusion(s) were very obvious early on in the book. I wouldn't waste my time reading this one. Don't know why I did?
Another gripping page-turner in this series of police procedurals. Le Plante certainly captures how detailed and at times tedious an investigation like this is.

I really hope she continues to develop this series.
Not read a La Plante for some time - I think the TV drama series has put me off. But it was a good plot (although a little slow in places) - a couple of good twists near the end. A good read.
The story is long and predictable and the characters are uninteresting. It seemed like more a chronicle of the main character's very average life than a novel that was meant to entertain anyone.
Gary Van Cott
3.5 stars. I would give this book a higher rating if it had a happy ending. I don't know why nearly all of the British books about women police detectives have to give them such unhappy personal lives. Another odd thing in this books is that the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) is referred to once as the Citizens Prosecution Service and another time as the criminal prosecution service. Bad editing by American editors?

The copy I read of this book with the same ISBN is a hardback. I am going to try
Linda LaPlante writes excellent police procedurals in several series. This one features DI Anna Travis whom we saw earlier involved in a ridiculous affair with her boss, Superintendent Langton who continues to have a presence and influence on the investigations. He's also a very bright detective as we see in one scene.

The scenes with Cameron Walsh were a bit too reminiscent of "Silence of the Lambs." Walsh is a killer Travis had jailed years earlier but he's obsessed with her and claims to be ab
Luanne Ollivier
Yes, I did just review a Lynda LaPlante title recently. That was my first introduction to the Detective Inspector Anna Travis series. Well, I was in need of an audio book to listen to, so I thought I would download the previous book - Blind Fury.

DI Travis is called in when a young woman's body is found in a ditch by a highway service station. With the amount of traffic passing through and by, finding a suspect will be difficult. But when further investigation turns up another young woman ki
Having recently watched Above Suspicion: The Red Dahlia on television, I decided that I would love to read one of the other Anna Travis books by Lynda La Plante. After all the mini-series was amazing. Unfortunately the book did not live up to my expectations (which I must say, were not even that high).

Firstly, let me say that La Plante is a fantastic mystery writer, the case in Blind Fury was fascinating with many twists and turns (which is what made me hesitate before rating it a one and also
Lynda La Plante was actually the first crime fiction writer I read with any sort of interest. It was several years ago, and I was staying for a long visit with my parents. I picked one of her earlier novels from my father's book shelf and read straight through it. It wasn't great literature, but it wasn't eye-wateringly bad. Since then I've occasionally picked up crime fiction, sometimes devouring it (Kate Atkinson), sometimes not reading beyond a chapter.

This novel is somewhere in between those
Sep 20, 2012 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of mysteries and police procedurals, Anna Travis lovers
When DI Anna Travis is brought in to a case involving the murder of a young girl found near a service station along the M1, she has no idea what she's in for. As the bodies begin to pile up, so does the potential evidence. The problem is none of it leads anywhere. In comes Cameron Welsh, a double murderer Anna helped put behind bars. With his new degree in psychology and personal history, Welsh believes that he alone can help the team uncover the truth of the murders. The problem is, he will onl ...more
J.M. Cornwell
Detective Inspector Anna Travis has a new cold case, four women raped, strangled, murdered, and then thrown into a field near the Gateway Services on the M1 outside London. The women were victims of a serial killer, the same serial killer, but something is off. DI Travis can feel it and so can her boss Detective Chief Supervisor Langton, her ex-lover.

The man in their sights works for Swell Blinds. John Smiley is all that he seems and more. No one has a bad word to say about him and he is very c
Although I only started this Fiction book about a week ago I love it. It's the latest book in the Detective Inspector Anna Travis series.

This time Detective Inspector Anna Travis is asked to solve a case of a murdered prostitute, but as more evidence is uncovered the team finds they are dealing with a triple murder investigation with no suspect.

Could the break in there case come from a murderer in prison known to Detective Inspector Anna Travis who she arrested with h...more although I only st
Kari Wainwright
Before reading Blind Fury by Lynda La Plante, my only acquaintance with the author’s work was the television show created from her Prime Suspect series featuring Jane Tennison. Definitely a positive introduction.

In Blind Fury, La Plante has created another flawed and lonely policewoman, Detective Inspector Anna Travis. Anna winds up joining a team, led by an ex-lover of hers, to find a serial rapist and murderer. Three women have been found dead next to a major British highway and the detectiv
Kathleen Hagen
Blind Fury, by Lynda LaPlante, B.,Narrated by Kim Hicks, produced by Audiogo, (audible inc.) downloaded from

Anna Travis is assigned to a case involving a body that turned up by a poorly supervised truck stop/station. Other girls turn up in the same vicinity. Their bodies go unidentified because no one steps forward to even declare them missing. Anna gets a letter from a stone-cold killer that she put away for life. This killer claims to have information about this series of crimes.
I really enjoyed this one. I think Anna Travis is a fantastic creation and one of my favourite fictional detectives. I also love the television adaptation and think the cast in that is great and it makes reading the book a bit more enjoyable when you can put a face to the character.

As always this is a doorstop of a story, La Plante loves to tell a story and, dare I say it, drag it out a bit! The thing with her novels is, the Travis novels at least, is that they are just a good old police proced
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)
  • The Dead of Winter (John Madden, #3)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Lifeless (Tom Thorne, #5)
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
  • Dick Francis's Gamble
  • Black Widow (Annie Carter #2)
  • For the Dead (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #6)
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a
More about Lynda La Plante...

Anna Travis (9 books)
  • Above Suspicion (Anna Travis #1)
  • The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2)
  • Clean Cut (Anna Travis, #3)
  • Deadly Intent (Anna Travis, #4)
  • Silent Scream (Anna Travis, #5)
  • Blood Line (Anna Travis, #7)
  • Backlash (Anna Travis, #8)
  • Wrongful Death (Anna Travis, #9)
Above Suspicion (Anna Travis #1) The Red Dahlia (Anna Travis #2) Clean Cut (Anna Travis, #3) Silent Scream (Anna Travis, #5) Deadly Intent (Anna Travis, #4)