Start by marking “Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor” as Want to Read:
Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor

Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  51 reviews
In 1862, a group of Union volunteers commandeered the locomotive near Atlanta, resulting in the famous "Great Locomotive Chase." Here for the first time is a complete history of the entire episode and the fates of those involved.
Audio CD, 1 page
Published June 1st 2011 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published October 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing the General, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing the General

Bill
Mar 15, 2013 Bill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Civil War buffs
Shelves: history
Non-fiction represents about 20% of my book reading choices. I am very happy I chose this volume to listen to. I usually have at least one audio book going at any given time. This story, narrated by Bronson Pinchot, held me enthralled for about two weeks (I only listen during workouts and gardening chores).
This is the story of a group of two dozen very brave Union soldiers from Ohio infiltrating the border between the US and the CSA for the purpose of stealing a locomotive (The General) and br
Jeff
This probably isn’t a well known story by people that study Civil War history. It’s about a group of 22 Yankee volunteers who hijacked a train in Georgia. The plan was to take the train and burn bridges along a railroad line that lead from Atlanta to Chattanooga. The hope was after the train was stolen the Federal troops could support the mission and cut off the south’s supply line to the eastern front of the war.

By today’s standards a train chase wouldn’t seem all that impressive but at the tim
Kevin
This book is the story of an unsuccessful raid to steal a steam engine in Atlanta and cripple the Confederate railroad supply line to its troops. The raiders, led by a northern spy but consisting mainly of volunteers from the Union Army, were captured, some were executed and others spent time in southern prisons. The Union soldiers were the first recipients of the Congressional Metal of Honor.

Over the years, the story was exaggerated and embellished, Hollywood movies were made that deviated larg
Corey
Great piece of Civil War history. The 'Great Locomotive Chase' was based on this story. I didn't know anything about it, very informative and weaves in the raider's personal stories with the main events of the Civil War very effectively. My only criticism is the author incorrectly assumes that all of his readers already know how it all goes down, so his book is littered with spoilers, even on the book jacket, about the own very dramatic story he is telling. I know a fair amount about the Civil ...more
Becky
In high school I discovered Buster Keaton's 1926 silent move "The General" and to this day it is my favorite movie. Little did I know that it was based on a true story! The Great Locomotive Chase, or Andrew's Raid occurred on April 12, 1862 in northern Georgia.

Two civilians and 22 Union soldiers (mainly from Ohio) volunteered for a mission to steal a railroad engine and destroy track and telegraph in Georgia and Tennessee. They snuck behind enemy lines, boarded the train at Marietta GA, and whi
Gary
This is a most compelling book, history that moves at the pace of a novel.

Since I was a kid and saw a Walt Disney production of "The Great Locomotive Chase" (starring Fess Parker, no less!), I have had an interest in the Civil War story of the Andrews raid, in which a group of Union soldiers went behind enemy lines to steal a train for the purpose of disrupting Confederate railroad traffic. What the raiders had counted on was a conductor on the train they stole, so offended by their act that he
Brian

Stealing the General covers the story of the first Medal of Honor recipients as a team of soldiers under the command of Andrew Jones, a civilian spy, who undertook a covert mission behind Confederate lines.

The plan: Destroy the confederate rail lines (long before the march to the Sea) and telegraph wires. They would escape using a confederate train following the schedule under the idea that they were carrying emergency gunpowder for Confederate troops at Cornith.

The Operation: Dozens of soldiers
Elizabeth
Stealing the General covers a rambling series of adventures and events that starts early in the American Civil war surrounding the stealing of the locomotive The General by a band of Northern soldiers. The book follows the raiders to the end of the war and beyond in this well-structured historical account. The large cast of characters including the 24 men sent on the mission are given a depth of detail that allows the reader to get to know them as individual personalities.

The cultural and histor
Ben Hallman
Mr. Bonds has written quite the encompassing history of the Great Locomotive Chase. He covers seemingly every single facet of this incredible story, almost to a fault, and does so without diverting the attention from central figures or the main story. This book fully illustrates the subject, yet never grows exhausting in its extensive research, and Bonds' talent as a storyteller as well as a historian shines through this heroic yet tragic piece of American history.

And I'm not kidding when I say
Gwen
Very interesting first half. I honestly did not realize that Buster Keaton's The General was based on a real event until I read this. So many things went wrong with the undertaking of this raid that I found myself thinking that if this were not a real event, I would have believed the author was deliberately making the characters do foolish things, but this just goes to show that in real life, you don't always plan for every possible problem until it is too late, and sometimes you just have to im ...more
Tommy
I grew up knowing the story of the Great Locomotive Chase because I lived where the Disney movies was filmed back in 1958. Then I ended up working in Adairsville, GA, which is right on the railroad where the event took place. Mr. Bonds' book is a wonder. I actually listened to it instead of reading it, and enjoyed every minute. Mr. Bonds' research was meticulous, gleaning from every available source to get all the facts as correct as possible, making a far more complicated and compelling story t ...more
Josh Liller
Excellent book about the famous "Great Locomotive Chase" of 1862 during the American Civil War. The first half of he book covers the events leading up to the Andrews Raid and the Raid itself, which gained its better known and more exciting nickname. The second half covers the experiences of the captured raiders, including escape attempts and the execution of some. Once the remaining raiders return to the Union in a prisoner exchange, Bonds covers the origins of the Medal Of Honor which was first ...more
Tammy
Can't begin to tell how much I enjoyed this book. The audio version is quite enjoyable, Bronson Pinchot (Balki!) is the narrator and he is pleasant to listen to. Some amazing history here from my hometown, and the area around it - not taught to us in school, so that is appreciated by this gal who likes to know her local history. Highly recommend this book if you are interested in history, and from the Atlanta area - you will really appreciate it. I also was fascinated with the creation of the me ...more
S
A nicely written history book. Bonds tells a good story and keeps this book moving through a surprisingly long narration.
It was really interesting to read about places that I know and that are nearby to me. He seems to tell this story from a personal level and gives a human touch to the story without really taking sides.
Nicely done overall.
Hugh Henry
Nov 12, 2007 Hugh Henry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Great Locomotive Chase fans
Here is the definitive secondary source description of the Great Locomotive Chase that we have awaited. Mr. Bonds has conducted thorough research and examined every primary source currently known to exist. He succeeds in presenting a fast-paced narrative while also presenting a vast trove of facts and stories. This book reads much more quickly than does Pittenger's Daring and Suffering. The only criticism is the short shrift he gives to James Andrews' origins. Charle O'Neill in Wild Train tried ...more
Lori
Quite a tale about a plot by a civilian to hijack the General, a Southern locomotive and use it to help the Union capture Chattanooga and possibly divide the Confederate states.
It is a fascinating story but I really didn't enjoy it until the second half.
There are So Many characters to keep track of before the story really gets going.
I found it worth the trudge thru for the latter half.
Hope its made into another more fact based movie as this story has inspired many movies in past.
15hours &
Larry
I have read a lot about the Civil War but I've focused more on the battles and key figures of the war in the north. Ironically, I found out in the course of reading the book that this is a well-known story but I had never heard of it. I guess Disney even made a movie of it years ago. It is story of federal attempts to steal a confederate train from deep within Georgia with the potential to change the course of the war. As a result of what happened, the United States developed and awarded the fir ...more
Brian O'mahony
I def liked it. I just didn't finish it in that way that you really want to tell someone about it.

All the medal of honor info near the end is very interesting though.
Terry
Give this tale another 100, better yet, 1000, years, and it will permutate into something mythological. As it is, it has moments that seem quite akin to Davy Crockett or even Pecos Bill-like exploits. Finally, though, it is a compelling story, deeply anchored in the grim realities of war. The twenty-two Andrews Raiders (sometimes styled the Mitchell Raiders) were seemingly, at the outset, an unremarkable lot save for their willingness to volunteer for an unknown mission and their dedication to t ...more
Jarrad
I enjoyed this story and the amount of history that was tied in along as the author retold it. Would recommend to anyone looking for a good historical piece that is not dry as these types if books tend to be.
Paul
Well-written, very engaging story about the civil war. I found it very interesting - though I get the impression that this is actually a very well-known story, I had never heard it before, so I unfortunately cannot compare this particular rendering to any other takes on the same events. I would have given this 4.5 stars were it possible - I very much enjoyed this book but I generally reserve 5-star reviews for books I'd be interested in reading again.
Ryan Rauber
Non-fiction story of a group of Union soldiers who sneak behind enemy lines to steal a locomotive in Atlanta during the Civil War. Of course, nothing in their plan works out the way they expect. Since I live in Atlanta, I liked reading about the localities of all the events. This was a piece of the war I was not familiar with, and the author presented a non-fiction book in an entertaining way. I think any student of the Civil War will enjoy this.
Steve
An excellent book that was not all historical fact, But an adventure to me. This setting was near Georgia in 1862 during the Civil War. A network of Union spies led by James Andrews volunteered to go behind enemy lines to Atlanta and capture the locomotive the General, Which was vital to the Confederates. They were caught and some were imprisoned and hung. The remaining that took part in the raid, Were awarded the first Medals of Honor.
Cody
This book was a thrill for me to read which may sound a little ridiculous when you know the mission doesn't succeed even before you start! Modeled on the best of war stories - the bold moves on both sides, the coincidental encounters, the missed chances, & brave soldiers & rascals in nearly equal measure. Lots of what ifs & if onlys to nosh on mentally after completing the book - and isn't that what good historical writing should do?
Joe
Well researched and interesting story of an obscure event from the American Civil War. The author does a fair job of developing, or introducing, the characters in the book, but overall didn't do a very good job of making what could be an extremely exciting story all that exciting to read. To be fair however, he did avoid becoming sensational or skewing the story to be biased toward one side or the other.
David Bowman
This story takes a well known historical incident and puts names and personalities into it quite effectively. As amazing as the locomotive chase is, the back story and the ensuing fate of the participants is just as fascinating. Highly recommended for history aficionados.
Donna Jo Atwood
The first two thirds of the book deals with the Raid into Tennessee. The whole deal sounds pretty implausible, but this is based on a number of survivor's accounts. The last third is what happened after the raiders were caught.
I loved this movie when it came out and wept at the ending.
Task 5.1 The Wonderful World of Disney (The Great Locomotive Chase)
Monte Lamb
The Great Locomotive Chase makes for a terrific story. This book adds a lot to it because about half the book covers the story after the chase ended. The captivity, trials, escapes, exchange for freedom, and then the lives of the raiders is covered well. I enjoyed this book a lot and recommend it to anyone wanting to get a good understanding of this event.
Clay Nichols
A well-told piece of history. A minor episode that provides a new perspective on the Civil War. The real adventure starts when the "Great Chase" is over. The narrative really picks up as Bonds tracks the odyssey of the Union soldiers after their plan fails and they are captured. The prison escapes were the highlight for me.
Vaughn
Audio version - an interesting telling of a Civil War event about which I knew nothing. It is difficult to fathom a war between people's so similar in temperament and attitude. I appreciated learning something of the creation of the Medal of Honor (also known as the Congressional Medal of Honor).
  • Chancellorsville
  • Shiloh, 1862
  • Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters
  • Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields: Discovering America's Hallowed Ground
  • Robert E. Lee: A Biography
  • Nathan Bedford Forrest: A Biography
  • The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days That Shook the Union
  • This Mighty Scourge: Perspectives on the Civil War
  • From Manassas To Appomattox
  • The Battle of the Wilderness May 5-6, 1864
  • The Confederate War: How Popular Will, Nationalism, and Military Strategy Could Not Stave Off Defeat
  • This Terrible Sound: The Battle of Chickamauga
  • Sea of Gray: The Around-The-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah
  • High Tide at Gettysburg
  • Southern Storm
  • Lincoln and His Generals
  • The Life of Johnny Reb: The Common Soldier of the Confederacy
  • Shadows In The Jungle: The Alamo Scouts Behind Japanese Lines In World War II
War Like the Thunderbolt: The Battle and Burning of Atlanta Gateway to the Confederacy: New Perspectives on the Chickamauga and Chattanooga Campaigns, 1862-1863

“a gang of unpredictable ruffians by day who turned to enthralling storytellers after dark. "I would sometimes join them, and listen for a great part of the night to some of the finest fairy tales and most romantic legends it has ever been my fortune to hear.” 0 likes
“[General-in-Chief of the army, Lieutenant General Winfield] Scott not only believed that the idea [for a battlefield decoration, to wit, a Medal of Honor, or valor] smacked of Old World vanity, elitism, and snobbery, he also thought that such an award was entirely unnecessary.” 0 likes