Start by marking “Being Martha: The Inside Story of Martha Stewart and Her Amazing Life” as Want to Read:
Being Martha: The Inside Story of Martha Stewart and Her Amazing Life

Being Martha: The Inside Story of Martha Stewart and Her Amazing Life

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Being Martha is a personal-at times a searingly personal-account of Martha's life from the inside, by a friend. It's fascinating-very anecdotal and very emotional. It won't be like anything else you've ever read about her."
-John Small, editor of SaveMartha.com
From Being Martha
"Martha has taught people to do many things and not in the way an ordinary teacher would, but i
Published December 23rd 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published June 28th 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Being Martha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Martha

Ann
I have had a bit of an obsession with Martha Stewart of late, so I figured this biography by one of Martha's friends would be a fun audiobook, if probably extremely skewed. And it was exactly that. It was a lot more interesting and readable than I expected it to be, but the writing wasn't great (full of cliched phrases like "a pinch of this, a dash of that", and the ubiquitous chapter title of "Martha and Me"). I also thought that the way he wrote about Martha and her daughter could be a little ...more
Ashley
Excellent read. The author, a friend of Martha Stewart's, brought out all her beauty and talent. And what I learned is that her real talent was/is seeing the beauty in people and things. My top 3 things I like about her after reading this book included:
• 1. She believed that Cleanliness and organization fed creativity
• 2. She believed in hard work and would never ask someone else to do something she wasn't willing to do herself.
• 3. She elevated women by saying that what women do all the time d
K
When Martha's longtime friend and former neighbor Lloyd Allen heard those negative stories, he hardly recognized the generous, fun-loving, and down-to-earth woman he's known and loved for years, and after she was indicted, he told Martha he was going to write this book. With Being Martha, Allen introduces you to the flesh-and-blood woman behind the glamorous public image. Drawing on hundreds of hours of exclusive interviews with Martha; her family, including her mother, her daughter, Alexis, her ...more
Tasha Gibson
I have not always been interested in Martha Stewart. Nor have I always been a fan. This book caught my attention on my public library's shelf. I like biographies, so I said "Why not?" This account is out-of-date. Her empire has only grown since she returned to daytime television. Still, I was surprised and happy that she authorized some parts of her life that Lloyd Allen brings out. Some things about her family, her marriage, even her personality seem to expose places that are not tidy and under ...more
Diane
Love love move Martha Stewart but this weiter who is supposedly a friend of Martha's came off more as a fanboy than anything. I was hoping to read about her upbringing and life experiences. I received none. Couldn't wait till the end of this book so I could say DONE!
Deirdre
This was an interesting read. The perspective is obviously biased because it is written by a longtime friend of Stewart's. However, there are some moments where he discusses the "not-so-nice" side of Martha, but his descriptions of her impertinent behavior are also succeeded by excuses for it. For example, he writes that her extreme busyness, drive for perfection, and her ambition as the reasons for her ill-temper. But, conversely, he also states that his friend is extremely kind, thoughtful, an ...more
Pamela Mason
This book showed me that if you follow your passions-you'll be who you are.
Shelly
Well, I expected this book to be slanted favorably to Martha, since it was written by a close friend, and it was, but that didn't make it less enjoyable for me. It was narrated by Patrick Lawlor, and he does a solid job as always. It was a little creepy how the author kept referring to Martha and Alexis as beautiful, but whatever. I still liked it enough to be interested in hearing how Martha was from an insider's point of view, especially her prison sentence and how she dealt with. If you're a ...more
Janika
A really quick and guilty summer read. As much as I can't keep up with Martha, I do admit a bit of fascination with her. It was fascinating to learn about her growing up years and especially her time in prison. This book definitely gave a positive point-of-view to Martha--in fact, it was the author's (a former neighbor of Martha) purpose to show the "other side" of Martha. I enjoyed this book and the sneak peak into Martha's life and persona.
Lily
Considering this book was written by one of Martha's close friends who had never written a book before, I was impressed. The writing is not spectacular and the narrative is choppy in parts, but the subject matter is fascinating and inspirational (this coming from a die hard Martha fan).If you love Martha and want to read a biography written from the perspective of another Martha lover, then this book is for you!
Catarina
May 15, 2010 Catarina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who like Martha Stewart
Shelves: before-2009
Having watched Martha's show for a while and being quite a fan of her I knew I had to know more. I'm really grateful someone gave me this book because I got to know a whole lot more about her.
I really don't think in this case the fact that the author is friends with Martha makes much difference, to be honest I think it gives it a personal side you wouldn't probably have, otherwise.
Mandy
Very, quick and incredibly interesting read. Includes lots of anecdotes from Martha's close friends and family. Read if you are interested in hearing about an incredibly driven, yet still vulnerable at times, woman who achieved the American Dream and held onto it despite an event that could have put an end to the career of even the most successful entrepreneur.
Noelle
I have an odd obsession with the lady and this book is exactly what I expected from a friend of Martha's. Lots of worshiping at her greatness but it also isn't afraid to call her a bitch, and thats what I like best. It did a great job describing why she is herself and what it took to become the Martha Stewart the rest of the world knows. Overall a good read.
Gena Divine
The writing pretty much sucks, but it's the stories and personal anecdotes I loved most. I had no idea how self-sufficient Martha is, and how she really got her start just cooking for friends and starting a catering and event-planning business...and then exploded. What a great person.
Carrie
It was interesting to get an inside perspective on her personality. The author is definitely a good friend of Martha Stewart and it shows in his writing. I read a book about Paula Deen at the same time and enjoyed the differences in their lives, but both are very successful.
Jillian
This book portrays Martha Stewart as a misunderstood super-being who doesn't need sleep. It's biased but I enjoyed it(except for one mousy librarian cliche). Sadly, her mom sounds like a bit of a hater, but at least she has a nice daughter.

Kelly
I thought the author of this book was just a little too gushing, and the book is very one-sided. It was almost apologetic. Kind of annoying. Still, it was interesting to learn a little about Martha.
Mecinna
Martha fascinates me and this book did the same. She has led such an interesting life and there were many business lessons to be learned from this book and her experiences.
Suebee
Ok...it was written by her friend and the details were not so "juicy" as I wanted, a little bit glossed over..."oh that's Martha" kind of stuff.
Iulia
Pretty biased book as it was written by one of her friends. However, still interesting to peek behind the scenes at the making of one of my heroes.
Michelle
Written by a friend of Martha's who has enjoyed her company and her care ( om, nom, nom) for decades.
Lara
Wow. This woman barely sleeps. No wonder she gets so much done. My nine hours a night doom me to mediocrity!
Gemma
I found the author a bit grating, but overall I enjoy this book. I really do enjoy Martha Stewart.
Eileen
Not really very entertaining. Interesting, but so biased on defending her.
Rachel
easy read, Martha is really an inspiration..
Dale
Interesting, not what I expected.
Connie
Enjoyed this very much.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Reem ALMulla
Reem ALMulla is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015