Start by marking “Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters, #1)

Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  11,359 ratings  ·  1,323 reviews
Editor : Aisyah
Proofreader : Tisa Anggriani

Sepeninggal sang ayah, serangkaian kejadian aneh menimpa Lia Milthorpe dan saudara kembarnya, Alice.

Diawali munculnya sebuah tanda di pergelangan tangan Lia dan berubahnya sikap Alice, mereka baru sadar terlibat ramalan kuno yang menyebabkan mereka menjadi musuh satu sama lain.

Dengan bantuan dua sahabatnya, Sonia dan Luisa, Lia me...more
Published March 17th 2011 by Penerbit Matahati (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Prophecy of the Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prophecy of the Sisters

Michelle
Dec 03, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's my book! I can't NOT give it five stars!!! :D
Dee
Nothing happens in this book! People take walks and talk. Then they ride horses and talk. Then they go into town and talk. All the girls are dumb. The only interesting one is Alice. She was only interesting because she's evil. This book is a rip off of A Great and Terrible Beauty. Gemma Doyle is way better than this. Definitely skip.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I really do not like to give books bad ratings. I feel like an author puts a lot of energy into writing a book, and I should respect them for that. But, there comes a time when I am forced to do what I don't care to do, rate a book poorly. Such was the case with Prophecy of the Sisters. I went into this book with an open mind, and I was curious to see what Ms. Zink could do with the concept of sisters who are on the opposite side of an ancient battle between Heaven and Hell, if you will.

What wer...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Kenneth
Jan 19, 2009 Kenneth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers
A combination of depth, personality, and fun, Prophecy of the Sisters brings back all the joys of reading. It is a story one can fully immerse themselves in, due to a detailed plot and in-depth character analysis. The combination of 19th century lifestyle, mythical creatures, and biblical background makes this one of the most interesting books I've read. Michelle Zink develops her characters early, propelling the plot forward into a story full of twists and turns. One of the best written books I...more
Megan
What a letdown :( After all of the awesome reviews on here, I expected Prophecy of the Sisters to be better. The idea is interesting, as is the twist in the story. Zink does a great job setting the scenes.... but that is the best I can say about this one.

Prophecy of the Sisters is a badly written mystery. You know, the sort where each discovery is a person/place/thing which only provides a certain amount of information... but always points the protagonist ~ in this case, Lia ~ in the right dire...more
♔ Leah.
MOTHERFUCKER, I GOT TROLLED! TROLLED, I FUCKING TELL YOU! I was about to read it because the one of the two protagonists shares my namesake of a different variation (Lia/Leah), plus her twin sister is called Alice (see f-list). Until I fucking found out her love interest is called Dimitri, DIMITRI Y'ALL! (don't even ask me why). AWW HELL FUCKING NAW, I'M AVOIDING THIS SHIT LIKE A PLAGUE OF RUSSIAN STDs. Bitch, what the fuck? I'm sorry, if your name is Dimitri— DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT COMING NEAR...more
Kristi
I'm not sure why I waited so long to read this book. But for some reason I was apprehensive to do so... I mean this book has been sitting on my bookshelf for ever! Probably a year... oops. And I am kicking myself for not picking it up earlier!

It was a little slow for me at first... there wasn't much happening, I was trying to figure out exactly what was going on. But the beautiful writing and the richly descriptive details of the era kept me engaged. Lia's story was so passionately told in the f...more
Morgan F
Lia and Alice Milthorpe are twin sisters that just became orphans. Their father has died a mysterious death, just as their mother did many years earlier. Following this tragic incident, Lia finds a tattoo-like mark on her wrist, her first clue that she is entangled in a mysterious prophecy that has a history of turning sisters against each other. Lia finds herself doubting whom to trust and what her role in the events shall be.

You know that quote "the opposite of love is not hate; it's indiffer...more
Shannon
Aug 27, 2011 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: all-time-faves
I love a story with a bit of a mystery that we get to solve along with the characters!

Prophecy of the Sisters has been a favourite of mine since I first read it in 2010. I then read the second one, but had to wait impatiently for the final book in the trilogy, Circle of fire. So imagine my excitment when I found it in my local book shop! It wasnt a difficult decision to re-read the first two books again.

I thought every one loved this book as much as I did, so imagine my surprise when I read so...more
Mara
Lia and Alice are going to end the world...or something. Maybe. There's this gate, and a guardian, and an angel, and Satan, and a bunch of keys, and an army, and a prophecy that may or may not be a page in length. No one seems to know what's going on, and those who do are remarkably blase about the prospects of a teenager possibly ending the world.

Basically, the conversation goes as follows:
"So, do you think you're going to open the gate and jump start the apocalypse?"
"No!"
"Oh, well, okay. What...more
Smashingly average. Not terrible, but could've been better.

The novels opens as Lia's father is buried. The next day Lia learns that she & her twin Alice are the next in line of a prophecy that marks one twin as the "Gate" between Otherworlds & Earth, but marks the other twin as "Guardian" -- the person who keeps The Gate from allowing Satan's army to trample mortals underfoot. Lia is distressed to learn she's not just any Gate, but The Awesome Gate That Everyone Has Waited For because sh...more
María
La Profecía de las Hermanas, libro primero de la trilogía del mismo nombre, de la autora Michelle Zink.

En esta primera entrega, Zink nos muestra cómo es posible conducir al público joven al (buen) gusto por la Literatura Gótica Contemporánea.

Teniendo en cuenta primero, que es una obra dirigida a un público teen, es fácil comprender la escasa profundidad a la hora de abordar ciertos temas (temas técnicos, que exigen un amplio bagaje, producto de extensas investigaciones), en los cuales la autora...more
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
Prophecy of the Sisters is a Gothic novel set in Victorian New York. The story focuses on twin sisters, Lia and Alice, who are a part of this centuries old prophecy that pits them against one another. Lia is the main character and we only see Alice through Lia’s eyes, but you get a feel for each girl’s distinctive personality. The story starts off with death of the girl’s father and the appearance of a strange tattoo-like mark on Lia’s wrist. From there we get a view into their family, friends,...more
Lucy
Lia Milthorpe is grieving for her father's mysterious and untimely death when she notices a strange mark that suddenly appears on her wrist. It is only the first of many strange occurances, because as Lia is soon to realize, she is the latest in a long line of twin sisters who play a part in an ancient prophecy. It is a prophecy that can bring about the end of days--the apocalypse--or prevent it. And the more Lia learns about it, the more she understands that the prophecy has pitted her against...more
Alea
I found Prophecy of the Sisters to be a highly original novel, I don't think I've read anything like it. I often shy away from historical novels but this one I knew I had to pick up and I wasn't disappointed. The way the characters carry themselves and behave was really exciting for me, I wanted to be sitting in the parlor playing cards with Lia and Henry and going up to my room where a fire was burning.

For some reason I had decided this book was going to be really really scary, don't ask me why...more
Aik Chien 인첸
This is a story about two sisters who play opposing roles in fulfilling an ancient prophecy that determines the obliteration of mankind and apocalypse. One of the twins will be the Guardian, the other the Gate. One of them is good, and the other evil. At first, the story goes as I expect it to be, but soon the author inserts a twist which changes everything.

Amalia 'Lia' Milthorpe discovers a mark emerging on her wrist a few days after the strange death of her beloved father. She starts to encoun...more
Kelly
The year is 1890. Lia and her twin sister Alice have just been orphaned by the death of their father, and in the aftermath, Lia discovers that she and Alice have roles to play in an ominous prophecy. The prophecy pits the two against each other: one is the Gate, who has the potential to open the doors between the underworld and Earth; and the other is the Guardian, who is supposed to make sure that doesn’t happen. But while Lia just learned about the prophecy, Alice has a head start…

There have b...more
Simcsa
This review refers mostly to slovak edition and to poor translations. It still is partially true, but as I discovered the translator had made the book even worse. (my original english review is at the bottom of the page)

Videli ste niekedy takto spackaný preklad? Ja som doteraz skoro nikdy originálne texty s našimi slovenskými prekladmi neporovnávala, a to z dvoch dôvodov. Nikdy som sa nad tým poriadne nezamyslela a teda mi ani nenapadlo, že niekto to predsa musí preložiť a že sa mu to nie vždy m...more
Steph Su
PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS begins a trilogy that speaks of olden times, musty secrets, and shadowy danger everywhere you turn. Michelle Zink sets the mood extremely well: the threat of darkness lurks on every page, and I kept on picturing the story running through my head in black and white and sepia. This insistence on a lurking danger makes the story all the more suspenseful and will keep you reading, frantically flipping the pages as if that will release some of the tension.

This book is mostly e...more
Mandy
I just finished reading PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS this morning and totally loved it.

PROPHECY follows Amalia and her twin, Alice. Shortly after their father's mysterious death, Lia discovers that a strange mark is appearing on her wrist, darkening with each passing day. And as she digs into the reasons behind such an odd occurance, she begins to battle with her sister. It seems these two play a role in a prophecy which has lasted centuries. A prophecy that must end with Lia and her sister.

But wil...more
Vanessa
I just finished Prophecy of the Sisters, and I really enjoyed it. It was a little dark, but gripping at the same time, and I was impressed by the character development and plot intricacies. Many YA books that I read tend to have more simplistic plots and characters--but I think older kids want more development. The author has a great writing style--the older fashioned language flows so effortlessly. The ending left much to be desired however--so I hope there is a sequel planned! I didn't see any...more
Julia March
A beautiful and mysterious fairytale that I could not put down. With a beautiful biblical reference and a wonderful good overcomes evil tale this book is sure to keep you reading into all hours of the night. This dark Gothic story has a delightfully hopeful side that you can't help but love. The main character Lia takes you on a journey of discovery, love, loss, and what it means to grow up. She left me with wanting more and dieing for a sequel.
Meghan
Gosh, I cannot finish this book! I put the book down, oh, two weeks ago and have been staring at it ever since. But I have no desire to pick it back up.

The characters are thin as rice paper and I have absolutely no sense of them as people. They sit, they talk, they walk....but they don't do anything. Lia is the main character, but we don't learn anything about her. Her twin sister, Alice, is a mere presence, despite the fact that she is our antagonist. It is also strange that supposedly the twi...more
Emily Ruth
I absolutely adore fantasy book about riddles and prophecies and such, so obviously I have quite high standards for books in that genre. Prophecy of the Sisters quite easily topped my list of To-Be-Reads, and has also quite easily found its place among my favorite fantasy books. Michelle Zink's writing skills are phenomenal, especially considering the time period the book is set in. I've read books set in a different time period that had the language seem almost a little too different, but Proph...more
Sophie Riggsby
I read this over holiday break and I highly recommend carving out some time to read it. Prophecy of the Sisters is definitely "that" book, you know the one that you want to curl up with and savor. Michelle sets the mood immediately, when you find yourself in 19th century New York and meet the 16-year-old protagonist, Lia Milthorpe who is attending her father's funeral.

From there the plot unfolds rapidly as does the mystery. Why does the mark of a Jorgumand (a snake devouring itself) appear on Li...more
Gwenyth
I have been dying to read this book, and I finally got my hands on a copy! I've heard so much about it, but the book itself is 10 times better than what anyone can say. The plot will keep you on the edge of your seat, and you'll feel as though you've been holding your breath through some parts. With it's unexpected ending, 3 dimensional characters, enticing plot, and beautiful writing, Zink gives you a story no one could forget.
Claudia Baker
This is an amazing story about two sisters on different paths with twists and turns that come at unexpected times. A very fast read with a lot of symbolism both sutbtle and dark. I enjoyed it very much and can't wait to see what happens next.
Rebekah
Absolutely riveting and mysterious. A fast read, great for any teen. I definitely recommend it for anyone who loves YA fiction.
Reina
This book is a fantastic debut(I think) novel. i love the plot and the idea of the " evil twin" and the "good twin". though i didnt quite fully understand the prophecy of the sisters but i got along fine with what i understood.
from the ending it sounds like there might ( ??? ) be a sequel and i truly hope there will be because im dying to know what happens to Lia and Alice next.
I also thought the scene at the river where Alice holds the branch out to Lia and makes her grab on was very endearing....more
  • Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • The Sweetheart of Prosper County
  • The Devouring (The Devouring, #1)
  • Bleeding Violet
  • Meridian (Fenestra, #1)
  • Once a Witch (Witch, #1)
  • Brightly Woven
  • Silver Phoenix (Kingdom of Xia, #1)
  • Shadowed Summer
  • Devil's Kiss (Devil's Kiss, #1)
  • Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1)
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • Thief Eyes
  • Another Faust (The Marlowe School, #1)
  • Beautiful Americans (Beautiful Americans, #1)
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • You Are So Undead to Me (Megan Berry, #1)
Michelle Zink is author of the Prophecy of the Sisters trilogy, A Temptation of Angels, and This Wicked Game. Her next book, Lies I Told, releases Spring 2015.

Learn more on Michelle's blog at www.michellezink.com.

More about Michelle Zink...
Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2) A Temptation of Angels Circle of Fire (Prophecy of the Sisters, #3) This Wicked Game Whisper of Souls (Prophecy of the Sisters Novella #1)

“I recall his somber eyes during that last, private conversation. His eyes and his words, far too wise for a boy of ten: only time will tell, Lia.
In the end, I suppose it will.”
41 likes
“I avoid looking at the clock, fearing the slow passing of time that will only seem slower if I watch its progress.” 28 likes