Start by marking “Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)” as Want to Read:
Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)

Patterns of Love (Coming to America #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  436 ratings  ·  32 reviews
My dear Beth, Though Uppsala, Iowa, takes its name from a city in my native Sweden, life here is different from what I have known. With my parents blessing, I have taken employment in the home of Mr. Bridger, a dairy farmer, caring for his ill mother and two young, orphaned nieces. It is most unlike me to leave home, even in a temporary manner. But the need is great and Ha...more
Published March 12th 2001 by Zondervan (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Patterns of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patterns of Love

Sara ♥
3.5 stars.

The first one is still my favorite... This one made me cry! :*( But the epilogue was great! :)

I think my VERY favorite part of this book is when Inga seduces her husband... Muahahaha.... ;) For the most part, this book was sad. At first, it's sad because Inga is in love with Dirk, and he's already making plans to leave her after his nieces are grown. :( And then it's happy for like a chapter, then it's REALLY sad for a LONG time... Till the very end, really.

I did like the flip-flop of...more
Lucy Bilik
I started to read this as part of Coming to America series book #2. This book is about When Swedish girl marries for convenience however has great hopes for their future. I was so drawn to it and was able to relate to some tragedies that she had to go through. So many things happen to bring her husband to believing God again and releasing his anger, and her to start believing that nothing we do can take the grace of God away. Amazing emotional book with some sparkle of excitement here and there....more
Martha
I would actually give this book a 4.5. It isn't quite a 5 for me, but it did come close. I liked the first book, but I wasn't necessarily excited to start this one. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I found Inga easy to relate to. I think many of us have loved someone who didn't love us back and being with that person even if they didn't love us back would be better than nothing. Lucky for Inga Dirk ended up falling in love with her as well. I like that Inga was plain looking and not a b...more
Jodi
Linda
This is the second book in Ms. Hatcher's Coming to America series; it is an earlier edition. I read it out of order but it reads well by itself. Beware that this is not the newer re-edited version aimed at the Christian market.

It is 1897 and Inga Linberg has bade farewell to her homeland, Sweden. She has come to America with her parents and sisters. She is the eldest and plain in looks compared to her younger siblings. They have moved to a farming community in Iowa and she assists her father who...more
Kathryn
Michelle Robinson
This book was written first as regular non-ficition and then revamped years later as Christian fiction.

I read it both ways, it is part of a series.

The heroine goes to live with a man, his grandmother and his young charges. The grandmother was very ill and DIrk was quite overwhelmed with all of the responsibilities thrust upon him at the death of his brother and his brother's wife.

Jane is the quiet older daughter in a family full of sisters. She is not expected to marry and comes to help the fam...more
Beata
One of my very favorite type of books! The eldest and plain in looks compared to her younger sisters, Scandinavian minister's daughter marries for convenience a bitter man in order to help him to take care of the children. Touching, romantic love story with a good Christian message. I love it!
Quin
I had difficult time reading this book because I didn't see Inga's faith in God helping her through her trials. I would love to see Christian fiction put God's ability to help the characters through anything that they face, and not to just turn to Him as a last resort. That being said, Robin Lee Hatcher is a wonderful storyteller.
Nita Barton
A wonderful series (Coming to America)

I love stories that are uplifting. It is often difficult to find books without a lot of profanity which is what I look for. These are the main reasons I assigned the five star rating.
Jennifer Moore
Wonderful quick read. Reads well by itself, even though it is book 2 in a series. I didn't realize that until I finished reading it, but the letters are the only ties to the other books.
Barbara
This is part of the Coming to America series, but may also be read alone. The Linberg family just immigrated from Sweden to Idaho, and this is their story. It deals with siblings envying each other to the point of not enjoying their own uniqueness, which is great for all of us to ponder, and also shows how our dreams in life can often change over the years as we develop different priorities. The romance between the main characters is wonderful, the children in the story add to the interest of th...more
Ellen
I think this has been my least favorite Robin Lee Hatcher book so far. Although Inga felt very real and some of her Swedish mannerisms rang true for me, the story itself was very difficult with miscarriage, depression, and a long, hard road to romance through a marriage of convenience. Sometimes it burdened my heart and even at the end of the story, I didn't truly feel the happiness. I liked the first one in the series much better. Perhaps Mary's story will suit me more in the next book.
BookDigger
This wasn't as good as her first book of the series (Dear Lady). Well, don't get me wrong, it is sweet and encouraging, but I don't think the ending was as....happy. Happy endings aren't everything yes, but it just wasn't as climatic an ending as her others. Plus, Inga upset me near the end and I found myself being completely frustrated with her character. (though I do understand her reactions)
Susan
Second in the series. This a little better than the first. The oldest daughter of the minister knows that she isn't pretty like her sisters and has decided her lot in life is to stay at home and help her father. A neighbor needs someone to help take care of his ill mother and orphaned nieces so she volunteers. The importance of working at a marriage, not just expecting things to be perfect.
Lynnda Ell
Patterns of Love is the second (stand alone) book of the series. This book tells the story of the ugly duckling of five Swedish sisters who expects to live at home her whole life. In less than a year after arriving in America, her world turns upside down as life throws unexpected tests her way. Naturally, it turns out happily ever after, but even the ending has an unexpected twist.
Michelle
Where's the minus star option? Just kidding, but boy this book was a real disappointment. I read it several years ago after reading tonnes of awesome reviews on amazon.com. Can't think what the fuss was about.....
Highland-dreamer
I loved this story, and I'm only sorry that it took me so long to read it. I think I liked it better than the first one in the series, though that one was good, too. I am definitely looking forward to the rest.
Shauna
Really enjoy some of this author's books but did not realize this was the old pre-Christian version when I picked it up at the library. So I was a bit surprised and disappointed. Didn't finish whole story.
Karen
I read this in just a few hours, a very quick read, yes, a romance type book, but not too bad with the history of coming to American all the way to Iowa back in the 1800's.
Nancy
A very enjoyable romantic book. I look forward to reading more from this author. She made me care about the characters in the book.
Sherri
This book hit me more than the first one in the series. I really got into this one and felt for the characters.
Paula Bradway
Set in Iowa so I can visualize it. It was also good to escape to something for sure would have a happy ending.
Judie
Coming to America series about a Scandinavian minister's daughter.
Kristina
I enjoyed it even more than the first.
Lisa
Jul 05, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Coming to America series / book two
Kathy Jackson
Really liked this book
Peggy
2nd of 4 in a series.
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
  • Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams, #2)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Whispers of Winter (Alaskan Quest, #3)
  • A Passion Redeemed (Daughters of Boston, #2)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • Sing (The Homeward Trilogy, #2)
  • City Girl (Yellow Rose Trilogy #3)
  • Hidden Affections (Hearts Along The River #3)
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
  • Lightning And Lace (Texas Legacy #3)
A Note from Robin: I schedule Goodreads giveaways every month. If you're interested in my books, please become a "Goodreads fan" so that you'll be notified of my giveaways when they occur.

Official Bio: Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. The winner of the...more
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...
A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1) Belonging (Where the Heart Lives, #1) Dear Lady (Coming to America #1) Fit to Be Tied (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #2) Catching Katie