Start by marking “Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)” as Want to Read:
Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)

Patterns of Love (Coming to America #2)

My dear Beth,
Though Uppsala, Iowa, takes its name from a city in my native Sweden, life here is different from what I have known. With my parents’ blessing, I have taken employment in the home of Mr. Bridger, a dairy farmer, caring for his ill mother and two young, orphaned nieces. It is most unlike me to leave home, even in a temporary manner. But the need is great and Ha
Published March 12th 2001 by Zondervan (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Patterns of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patterns of Love

Sara ♥
3.5 stars.

The first one is still my favorite... This one made me cry! :*( But the epilogue was great! :)

I think my VERY favorite part of this book is when Inga seduces her husband... Muahahaha.... ;) For the most part, this book was sad. At first, it's sad because Inga is in love with Dirk, and he's already making plans to leave her after his nieces are grown. :( And then it's happy for like a chapter, then it's REALLY sad for a LONG time... Till the very end, really.

I did like the flip-flop of
Linda
This is the second book in Ms. Hatcher's Coming to America series; it is an earlier edition. I read it out of order but it reads well by itself. Beware that this is not the newer re-edited version aimed at the Christian market.

It is 1897 and Inga Linberg has bade farewell to her homeland, Sweden. She has come to America with her parents and sisters. She is the eldest and plain in looks compared to her younger siblings. They have moved to a farming community in Iowa and she assists her father who
Donna
This was not my kind of book. I actually liked the time period and the historical fiction part of this. And it was a sweet story. I'm just not a fan of the overly predictable romance. The two main characters were carbon copies of each other except for one often repeated difference.
---they both had a heart of gold
---they both constantly berated themselves...it was relentless
---they both were prideful

but....he was "gorgeous" and she was "plain" which was repeated so many times I started the eye ro
Lucy Bilik
Feb 23, 2011 Lucy Bilik rated it really liked it
I started to read this as part of Coming to America series book #2. This book is about When Swedish girl marries for convenience however has great hopes for their future. I was so drawn to it and was able to relate to some tragedies that she had to go through. So many things happen to bring her husband to believing God again and releasing his anger, and her to start believing that nothing we do can take the grace of God away. Amazing emotional book with some sparkle of excitement here and there.
Ellen
Jan 10, 2013 Ellen rated it it was ok
I think this has been my least favorite Robin Lee Hatcher book so far. Although Inga felt very real and some of her Swedish mannerisms rang true for me, the story itself was very difficult with miscarriage, depression, and a long, hard road to romance through a marriage of convenience. Sometimes it burdened my heart and even at the end of the story, I didn't truly feel the happiness. I liked the first one in the series much better. Perhaps Mary's story will suit me more in the next book.
Kathryn
Jun 08, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Martha
Jun 17, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
I would actually give this book a 4.5. It isn't quite a 5 for me, but it did come close. I liked the first book, but I wasn't necessarily excited to start this one. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I found Inga easy to relate to. I think many of us have loved someone who didn't love us back and being with that person even if they didn't love us back would be better than nothing. Lucky for Inga Dirk ended up falling in love with her as well. I like that Inga was plain looking and not a b ...more
Michelle Robinson
This book was written first as regular non-ficition and then revamped years later as Christian fiction.

I read it both ways, it is part of a series.

The heroine goes to live with a man, his grandmother and his young charges. The grandmother was very ill and DIrk was quite overwhelmed with all of the responsibilities thrust upon him at the death of his brother and his brother's wife.

Jane is the quiet older daughter in a family full of sisters. She is not expected to marry and comes to help the fam
Jodi
Mar 04, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it
Barbara
This is part of the Coming to America series, but may also be read alone. The Linberg family just immigrated from Sweden to Idaho, and this is their story. It deals with siblings envying each other to the point of not enjoying their own uniqueness, which is great for all of us to ponder, and also shows how our dreams in life can often change over the years as we develop different priorities. The romance between the main characters is wonderful, the children in the story add to the interest of th ...more
Robin Lee Hatcher
RITA Award winner, Best Inspirational Romance

The Coming to America series was birthed in my imagination the day I stood in the large building on Ellis Island, looking at the passenger logs with the names of people from Ireland, Sweden, England, and more. My Swedish great-grandparents came to America in 1868, and I have often pondered the courage needed to begin that journey. I loved writing these stories. They felt very personal to me.
BookDigger
May 03, 2008 BookDigger rated it liked it
This wasn't as good as her first book of the series (Dear Lady). Well, don't get me wrong, it is sweet and encouraging, but I don't think the ending was as....happy. Happy endings aren't everything yes, but it just wasn't as climatic an ending as her others. Plus, Inga upset me near the end and I found myself being completely frustrated with her character. (though I do understand her reactions)
Susan
Oct 01, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Second in the series. This a little better than the first. The oldest daughter of the minister knows that she isn't pretty like her sisters and has decided her lot in life is to stay at home and help her father. A neighbor needs someone to help take care of his ill mother and orphaned nieces so she volunteers. The importance of working at a marriage, not just expecting things to be perfect.
Quin
Feb 24, 2014 Quin rated it liked it
I had difficult time reading this book because I didn't see Inga's faith in God helping her through her trials. I would love to see Christian fiction put God's ability to help the characters through anything that they face, and not to just turn to Him as a last resort. That being said, Robin Lee Hatcher is a wonderful storyteller.
Lynnda Ell
Apr 12, 2010 Lynnda Ell rated it it was amazing
Patterns of Love is the second (stand alone) book of the series. This book tells the story of the ugly duckling of five Swedish sisters who expects to live at home her whole life. In less than a year after arriving in America, her world turns upside down as life throws unexpected tests her way. Naturally, it turns out happily ever after, but even the ending has an unexpected twist.
Beata
One of my very favorite type of books! The eldest and plain in looks compared to her younger sisters, Scandinavian minister's daughter marries for convenience a bitter man in order to help him to take care of the children. Touching, romantic love story with a good Christian message. I love it!
Highland-dreamer
Aug 18, 2011 Highland-dreamer rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, and I'm only sorry that it took me so long to read it. I think I liked it better than the first one in the series, though that one was good, too. I am definitely looking forward to the rest.
Michelle
Feb 13, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it
Where's the minus star option? Just kidding, but boy this book was a real disappointment. I read it several years ago after reading tonnes of awesome reviews on amazon.com. Can't think what the fuss was about.....
Angie Quantrell
Aug 19, 2015 Angie Quantrell rated it it was amazing
I totally loved reading this romance. The settings of farm, horse and carriage, and immigrants making their way in a new country were captivating and I often stayed up late to keep reading. Beautiful and believable writing and characters. I shall keep looking for Robin Lee Hatcher books.
Bekah
I was surprised to find that this is probably my favorite book of the series. Inga's lonesomeness and resigned attitude regarding the opposite sex are so familiar and real, that it was easy to connect to this book.
Nita Barton
Apr 23, 2014 Nita Barton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful series (Coming to America)

I love stories that are uplifting. It is often difficult to find books without a lot of profanity which is what I look for. These are the main reasons I assigned the five star rating.
Shauna
Mar 08, 2013 Shauna rated it did not like it
Really enjoy some of this author's books but did not realize this was the old pre-Christian version when I picked it up at the library. So I was a bit surprised and disappointed. Didn't finish whole story.
Jennifer Moore
Wonderful quick read. Reads well by itself, even though it is book 2 in a series. I didn't realize that until I finished reading it, but the letters are the only ties to the other books.
Karen
Jun 12, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read
Nancy
Aug 08, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable romantic book. I look forward to reading more from this author. She made me care about the characters in the book.
Mackenzie
Mar 23, 2011 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Book 2 of 4
Dora Wagner
Apr 19, 2015 Dora Wagner rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
This was a great follow up to Dear Lady. Robin Lee Hatcher's stories always have realistic characters with realistic struggles. I can't wait to discover how the series ends.
Sherri
Dec 29, 2008 Sherri rated it it was amazing
This book hit me more than the first one in the series. I really got into this one and felt for the characters.
Angeles
Nov 15, 2015 Angeles rated it liked it
Reading more of Inga's story is exactly what i hoped when we met her in "Dear Lady." Such hardships suffered... you only hope there is happiness and heartfulness to follow.
Peggy
Aug 18, 2008 Peggy rated it liked it
2nd of 4 in a series.
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams, #2)
  • A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2)
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Yellow Rose Bride
  • Whispers of Winter (Alaskan Quest, #3)
  • Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
  • Hidden Affections (Hearts Along the River, #3)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Wild Rose (Wild Rose Series #1)
  • Sing (The Homeward Trilogy, #2)
  • Finding Stefanie (Noble Legacy, #3)
  • A Passion Redeemed (Daughters of Boston, #2)
  • Dangerous Heart (Westward Hearts #3)
  • Consuming Fire (Scottish Highland, #2)
  • Cassidy (Big Sky Dreams, #1)
Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. Recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from both American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writer of America and the winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Christian Fiction, the RITA Award for Best Insp ...more
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...

Coming to America (4 books)
  • Dear Lady (Coming to America #1)
  • In His Arms (Coming to America #3)
  • Promised to Me (Coming to America #4)