Start by marking “Book of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Book of Dreams

Book of Dreams (Book of Dreams #1)

For Dr. Elena Burroughs, life is divided into two chapters—before and after the death of her husband. Today marks the point that her span of being a wife is equal to her span of being a widow. Even her success as a psychologist and her worldwide acclaim for a book on the interpretation of dreams is dimmed by an unspoken If only.

Then a new patient arrives, one so private on
Published October 4th 2011 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Book of Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Dreams

Margaret Chind
Nov 17, 2011 Margaret Chind rated it it was ok
Recommended to Margaret by: Laura Christianson
Let me preface myself by telling you how much I completely have loved Davis Bunn's adventures in the past including Gold of Kings and The Black Madonna. They were fun and easy to picture and page turning. Now, coming to the Book of Dreams, let me start by saying how awesome and intriguing I find this gorgeous cover to be. Normally, novels by this gentleman adventurer pull me in and captivate me to the last page. Usually I cannot turn the pages fast enough to keep with suspense. In this book, ...more
Gena Divine
Oct 17, 2012 Gena Divine rated it it was ok
I somehow had no idea this was a Christian fiction novel when I picked it up. The story was actually very interesting to me. But by the halfway point, I simply couldn't continue.

There was just SO much 'lets pray together' and 'word of God' and 'God's will' and reading farrrrr more between the lines of situations for God's hand in everything than I could stand. As compelling as the plot was, the religious overtones were unbearably distracting for me.
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Nov 19, 2011 Ibjoy1953 Hannabass rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts on “Book of Dreams”

While Elena is helping her patient Sandra deal with her dreams, she finds the help she needs to deal with her husband’s death. An old friend gives her a copy of an old ancient book that no one has deciphered down through the years. But it just so happens that when Elena starts reading and checking out this ancient book, interesting things start to happen in her life. And this book is so detailed, so much stuff here there is no way to explain it all. So to find out
Whitney
Nov 26, 2011 Whitney rated it really liked it
Book of Dreams was an intense read. I know it was a work of fiction, but it could have been the headline story in our newspapers today. Mr. Bunn is very adept at using current events and historical Biblical facts to weave a riveting tale.

The blurb on the back of the book focuses on Dr. Burroughs and her interpretation of dreams. While that is an important element of the story, I thought a more important element was the way she learned to lean on the Holy Spirit’s guidance in all circumstances.
Rebekah Choat
Jun 23, 2012 Rebekah Choat rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Although Dr. Elena Burroughs is one of the world’s preeminent authorities on dream interpretation, she finds herself in uncharted waters when, after being consulted by a client whose identity must be protected, her own experiences of dreams and their meanings take a significantly different direction from what she has known before. Her study of an ancient treasure passed on by her dearest friend seems to deepen both her insights and the intrigue surrounding the people being drawn to her. She ...more
Mike Patterson
Oct 30, 2013 Mike Patterson rated it it was amazing
Excellent, excellent, excellent! Real life today, God in our world helping those who love Him in our struggle with evil. Read it and weep for joy at God's victory in our lives. He is in charge.
Andrea Ludwig
Mar 03, 2012 Andrea Ludwig rated it did not like it
I hate to say it, but this book was awful. I couldn't get into it at all. Poorly written. Didn't hold my interest in any way.
Kevin
Apr 19, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed it immensely. Highly recommend reading it.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Synopsis:

From bestselling and award‑winning author Davis Bunn comes a relationship-driven narrative about an internationally acclaimed psychologist, still coping with the death of her husband. But Elena Burroughs’ life takes a dramatic turn when a mysterious patient comes to the doctor, asking her to interpret the intense pattern of dreams she’s been having. When Elena inherits an ancient manuscript, she is granted a succession of insights about these dreams with dangerous warnings. As Elena red
Sid Frost
Jan 24, 2016 Sid Frost rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Dr. Elena Burroughs, a clinical psychologist practicing at the University of Oxford in England. She is known worldwide as an expert in the field of dreams because of her bestseller, Book of Dreams, a book her friend and fellow psychologist, Miriam, urged her to write. The publication of the book provides Elena money as well as status. However, it does not afford her happiness.

Grieving the loss of her husband who died five years earlier, Elena's work and daily routines have
Nola
Jun 06, 2013 Nola rated it really liked it
Elena Burroughs is a clinical psychologist with a best-selling book on dream interpretation. Still grieving the unexpected death of her husband five years previously, she’s retreated into her comfortable world. All that changes when a mysterious woman arrives with her bodyguards and tells Elena of a recurring nightmare that has robbed her of sleep for more than three weeks. Soon afterwards, Elena becomes the heir to a book of dreams that is hundreds of years old and is plunged into a world of ...more
C.C. Thomas
Oct 30, 2011 C.C. Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is a book that will grab you in the very first chapter and won't let you go until the very last.

Elena is a psychologist in London, grieving for the loss of her husband and still trying to get on with the normal business of living when a client walks through her door and turns her life upside down. The client is having the same repetitive mysterious dream and while it should be a simple case of counseling, Elena soon finds she is thrown into a world of international and political financial
Cindy
Nov 03, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Burroughs is a expert in dreams. Intrepreting them, and general knowledge about why you are dreaming. What she is not an expert on, however is dealing with grief and moving on past her husband's death. Nor can she really give herself the meaning of some of the dreams she has about him. A new client moves her practice into a totally new level. The wife of a high powered dignitary, the new patient's dream is so disturbing, it even has Dr. Burroughs rattled.

The gift of an ancient family heirlo
Nona King
Aug 20, 2012 Nona King rated it it was amazing
It isn’t often I read a book that balances thrills, faith, and romance in an entirely believable package. But that is what Davis Bunn does in Book of Dreams. The main character, Elena, does not come across as pious or unsympathetic. She is real, she has doubts, and she suffers fears and conflicts of faith just as any of us.

Davis Bunn has a compelling Voice and writing style. It draws the reader into the lives of the characters in such a way that you cannot help but continue to turn the pages. Yo
Carmen
Oct 20, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
I liked this book more and more as I read. The summary above is a sad description of this very timely story.

Set in the world of world economies and financial markets, it hints at the real powers behind governments. Money makes the world go 'round, and Elena has landed in the middle of a world that she knows nothing about, trying to move through the grief of losing a husband, stop a murderous duo, and bring together a team of people who would never have otherwise met.

This is the best of Christ
Becky
Nov 15, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read!! The author has deftly woven a tale of mystery, intrigue, and spiritual depth. I enjoyed the locale - England - with its history and culture. The hidden machinations of governments and businesses ("powers and principalities"?) were revealed in current events - quite frighteningly. Although there were dreams in the story, it didn't really dwell on them so much as the supernatural realities. I liked to see how the characters didn't always get along, even though they were ...more
Nolanturner
Dec 03, 2011 Nolanturner rated it really liked it
I picked this book off the New Arrival shelf at the library. I really enjoyed the story. A fictional christian story about listening to what God has to say and having the faith/belief that he knows what he is doing. Story of several God fearing characters who choose to follow where God is leading them through difficult circumstances surrounding the powerful banks and their attempts to keep their secrets.
Luella
Mar 12, 2012 Luella rated it it was amazing
Omi
Apr 04, 2013 Omi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
While some parts of this are difficult to understand ( all that heady financial/political stuff ) that can be overlooked and you will then dive into an intricate world of danger and suspense, as well as going on a spiritual journey that you are not sure how it will end up. Though the plot may seem complicated at times, the truths found in the ending are simple. An excellent and intriguing read for anyone who is tired of run-of-the-mill Christian fiction.
Emily
Apr 27, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book was not what I expected it to be which is not actually a bad thing. I loved this book. I thought that it would be more about dream interpretations. The dreams did play an important role in the book as signs from God. All of the characters in this book were very real. They were all anxious to get out of their comfort zones to do what the were called to do. The book of dreams in this book was really cool. It brought up a lot of theological discussion.
Marliss
Nov 17, 2011 Marliss rated it really liked it
I love the way Davis Bunn imbues his books with his deep faith and joy in the Lord without beating anyone over the head with the Gospel. This was an exciting, frightening, and sobering book with an issue torn straight from today's headlines.

On a personal note, the main character, Elena, shares the same name and spelling with my baby granddaughter. I couldn't help but think of her, grown, in this situation.
Beth
Feb 05, 2013 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Really hard to get into, and about halfway through it got really preachy and heavy handed. I love Christian fiction, don't get me wrong. I just don't like when the action comes to a complete halt because it's time for a "come to Jesus meeting." In a thriller-type story, you need to keep the pace going or you're going to lose people's interest. Weave Christian values in it by all means, except stopping the story cold.
Nina
Apr 03, 2015 Nina rated it really liked it
I wasn't aware this is a Christian-inspirational-religious novel. The synopsis at the back of the book made me interested. The story was masterfully written. I don't read this genre much but I enjoyed the bit of mystery about the Book of Dream and the development of the characters. I also ship Elena and Antonio. :)
Thomas S
May 29, 2012 Thomas S rated it did not like it
Sorry, but I just didn't get it. Renowned psychologist, recently widowed, inherits an ancient book written in Aramaic. At the same time, she comes into contact with two heavy-hitting bankers who are being threatened by somebody....wow, just putting this review in writing is making me confused! There is a spiritual message here but, like the rest of the story, it escapes me.
Cara
May 22, 2012 Cara rated it really liked it
I first read his books when they were co-authored with Janette Oke. That might as well be a lifetime ago for both of us. This story was compelling and riveting. There were moments of suspense, of romance, of spiritual warfare and political struggle, intrigue and mystery. It was encouraging, and a good reminder of a few things. I am looking forward to the sequel!
Georgann
Oct 31, 2012 Georgann rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was a wonderful story, a story of what I just might see with our spiritual eyes, if I would be open to change, with heart and mind open to what God might be saying. I loved the writing. It was lyrical and poetic in many places, just beautiful. This was a mystical and powerful book!
Carolyn Vandine west
Jul 08, 2016 Carolyn Vandine west rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book, never had one of Davis books that I didn't absolutely love. If you can make it through the first 2/3 the ending was good. It does have a great storyline but just so slow and it shouldn't have been.
Linda
Feb 06, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
This is a very timely novel about the financial meltdown due to subprime mortgage securitization debacle and derivative investing by banks. But it also is about the power of God in out lives. A very powerful book.
Beckie Fanous
Sep 04, 2012 Beckie Fanous rated it really liked it
This book immediately hooked me, but I admit I was annoyed at the disjointed chapters....in the end it all comes together and is so worth sticking with it! Unique and inspiring fiction that rings with so much truth. This was a great find!
Kay Jay
Aug 08, 2013 Kay Jay rated it liked it
Though I've liked many of Davis Bunn's books in the past, this one just didn't grab me. The idea is intriguing, but I just couldn't get into it like I would've liked.
It did have some helpful ideas regarding moving on after your spouse has died, FWIW.
  • Tomorrow We Die
  • Trial Run (Fault Lines #1)
  • The Soul Saver
  • Soul's Gate (Well Spring #1)
  • Wounds
  • Chasing the Lion (Sword of Redemption #1)
  • Sky Blue
  • Dark in the City of Light
  • Queen (Realms of the Infinite, #2)
  • Double Blind
  • Deny (The Blades of Acktar #2)
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #1.5)
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • The Sound of Red Returning (Red Returning Trilogy #1)
  • The Shock of Night (The Darkwater Saga, #1)
  • Trinity: Military War Dog (A Breed Apart, # 1)
  • Proof (Bloodline Trilogy, #1)
  • Serpent of Moses (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #2)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Book of Dreams (2 books)
  • Hidden in Dreams (Book of Dreams #2)