Start by marking “Oregon Trail: The Road to Destiny” as Want to Read:
Oregon Trail: The Road to Destiny

Oregon Trail: The Road to Destiny

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Based on their extensive research into personal accounts of the Oregon Trail, comic authors David Lasky and Frank Young have created a graphic narrative of one family's epic journey. The main character is an 11-year-old girl whose family sets course for the West to seek new opportunities and to escape the eastern city where they had been living. Oregon Trail reveals all of ...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Oregon Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oregon Trail

Lori Redman
I had really high hopes for this book but even after finishing the book and thinking about it for a few days, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

The book tells the tale of Rebecca Weston, an eleven-year-old girl whose family decides to take the journey West in 1848. It was SO reminiscent of the video game- fording rivers, hunting buffalo, trading with Indians....

I just worry that this was politically incorrect. Back when I played that video game, it was okay to portray Native Americans in headdre
Shelli
I love non-fiction graphic novels! Even reluctant readers will enjoy and learn something about history. This work is historical fiction based on the typical struggles that a family crossing the Oregon Trail in the mid-1800s may endure. I loved all the price comparisons to then and now, what you could buy for $1 dollar then would take $25 to purchase at the present. Entertaining and educational.
Richard
Fictional comics account of a family's wagon trip along the Oregon Trail that has lots of great non-fiction information as well. Growing up in Utah one hears a lot pioneer stories, but I had never seen anything like the cross section of a packed wagon feature here. I like it a lot now, but 5th grade me would have loved that drawing so much.

I did have "Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked" stuck in my head for weeks after reading this, but Young and Lasky can't really be blamed for that.
Kinsley
makes me want to play Oregon Trail again!
Adam
This’ll give young readers a basic understanding of a journey along the Oregon Trail, but the story is so bare-bones that you wonder why the author bothered with a fictional approach to his subject. The art isn’t terrible, but is very basic. Add to that a storyline with one-dimensional, personality-less characters, and you come up with something remarkably dry.
Anne
This is a great graphic novel for a general look at the Oregon Trail and all that it entailed. That does not mean it is a great graphic novel, however. It is totally serviceable for the basics such as equipment, food, conditions, etc. but not much more than that. I plan to use it with the ELL kids at my school when we study Westward Movement.
Jan
I have to admit, I did a bit of "pre-judging" before I read Oregon Trail: The Road to Destiny. I wasn't expecting it to draw me in and hold my interest as it did. The rudimentary artwork compliments the rustic setting while the narrator, young Rebecca Weston chronicles her family's journey in an authentic voice.
Lisa
2.5 I kinda of liked it. If kids are into historofic, they're going to like it...Do the kids still play Oregon Trail? It was always the best day in "computer class"...
paula
Dramatic story, lovely landscape. If it were in color, I bet kids would love it.
Erin
I don't know if it's based on the game, but it sure reads like that.
Jeans Nativejewlery
Jeans Nativejewlery marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Misa
Misa added it
Oct 26, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Sarah E.
Sarah E. marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
The Carter Family: Don't Forget This Song Snap-Together Coin Sorter Radio & Radar Automobile: From Prototype to Scrapyard ARTLAB: Motorcycle Design Studio