Start by marking “Catching Katie” as Want to Read:
Catching Katie

Catching Katie

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Katie Jones is committed to fighting for the cause of women's suffrage. She has no time for romance, especially not with her best friend Ben Rafferty. But when Katie's column in Ben's newspaper, The Homestead Herald, stirs things up, sparks begin to fly. Ben is set on winning Katie over, but Katie is just as determined to stay true to her 1916 feminist ideals. With such st ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Catching Katie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching Katie

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  WoodThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany TullisSilenced 2 by RaeBeth McGee-Buda
Read this Christian Fiction!
125th out of 328 books — 233 voters
A Lasting Impression by Tamera AlexanderThe Lightkeeper's Ball by Colleen CobleThe Fairest Beauty by Melanie DickersonForsaken Dreams by MaryLu TyndallShort-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer
Prettiest Christian Fiction Book Covers
255th out of 416 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

Saumia
Was initially feeling like one of Katie's opponents in the book while reading her enthusiasm and passion for the women's suffrage. Not because I oppose it but because of her personal decision to stay away from marriage and the responsibilities of family life just because her role model(one of the women's suffrage leaders) had decided to stay single. She even had her reasons to claim that it was God's will and had almost rejected a love that was so much enviable. Ending up being miserable.

But as
Sara ♥

I REALLY liked this book. A LOT.

So, Katie Jones is a suffragette in 1916 Idaho, a state that already allowed women to vote... but there wasn't a Constitutional Amendment yet, so there was still plenty of work to be done! She went to Vassar and then spent 3 years working in Washington D.C. Now she's like she should go home to Homestead, Idaho and work from there. She's VERY dedicated to the cause and plans to remain single her whole life....

Her best friend, Ben Rafferty, runs the weekly
Kathryn
Jennifer Abbott
I received this book in the mail yesterday afternoon. I finished reading it today. I could hardly put it down, and when I did, I couldn't wait to get back to it! It was a very emotional read. It made me grin, made me cry, sometimes even a little angry. It even had some LOL moments! It was a truly great read! :)
Stef
Up until recently, maybe college, I refused to read most books that had a female main character (unless they were kids, kids were OK). Female main characters were boring, I thought. They don't climb trees, or go on adventures or do anything but sit around and complain. It wasn't until I started reading more of Mercedes Lackey that I realized that females could be the Queen's Herald or control armies and I started looking for more and more main characters I could identify with.

Catching Katie, on
Layne
Mediocre. It read like a rough draft, it need a few more revisions. But the concept was mildly interesting.
Bookworm1858
Catching Katie by Robin Lee Hatcher
Heart Quest, 2003
366 pages
Christian Historical Romance
3.5/5 stars

Source: Library

I was intrigued by the cover of this book as well as the description about a suffragist, Katie, working for a national suffrage amendment in conflict with her best friend, Ben, who loves her and just wants to be married with family. At first I thought Ben would denigrate women's rights but he's actually supportive of national suffrage and Katie sharing her opinion. He just wants her
Samantha
Katie is a free-thinking woman in a time where most people thought women should be at home and letting their fathers or husbands do the thinking for the family. Katies upbringing was both a blessing and a curse. She was raised by a strong-willed mother and a forward-thinking father in one of the few states at the time that gave women the right to vote. Middle America during the sufferage movement was a difficult environment. Women in Iowa had the right to vote, but rarely exercised it since they ...more
Debbie
Positively Charming (4 Stars)

Catching Katie by Robin Lee Hatcher

Catching Katie is an appropriate title for this sweet historical romance. Katie Jones knows what she wants out of life and she’s jumping head first into the women’s suffrage movement. She’s been in Washington D.C. and then heads back home in her old motorcar she has named “Susan B”. She is going to try and get the women’s movement going in Idaho and then the whole country. But when she gets back home and see’s her best friend Ben, w
Laurie Buchanan
Delivered through an independent, feisty main character, “Catching Katie” is a life lesson, history lesson, and romance all wrapped up in one. Robin Lee Hatcher’s writing brought to mind Grace Livingston Hill of days gone by. That’s a huge compliment.
E.
Jun 30, 2012 E. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Allison! I'm returning it to the library soon! :)
So, seriously, I liked this.

I can't say I loved it, because I thought Blanche was a giant caricature unworthy of the rest of the story. But I loved the rest of the female cast. I loved Ben and Katie, though I wanted to smack Katie a few times. This also managed to be a Christian book for centrists, not extremists, not fundamentalists. I enjoyed this view of Christian values because it does take us back, politically, to a time when the rights of the people (all the people) were part of those val
Jocelyn
3.5 stars. Very quick read, very simple writing. I enjoyed it for the most part. There were maybe two parts that I didn't think would happen and then did, other then that pretty predictable book. i liked the storyline, a stubborn suffragate Katie, who vowed her life to the movement and never wanting to marry. She moves back home to Idaho, where she wants to further her work and write a weekly column in the towns paper. Her longtime friend, Ben, is the editor, they reunite their friendship. He fa ...more
Katie
This is what's on the back of the book...
"Katie Jones is committed to fighting for the cause of women's suffrage. She has no time for romance, especially not with her best friend Ben Rafferty. But when Katie's column in Ben's newspaper, The Homestead Herald, stirs things up, sparks fly. Ben is set on winning Katie over, but Katie is just as determined to stay true to her 1916 feminist ideals. With such strong obstacles in the way, their relationship can't possibly progress. Unless somehow love f
Heidi
Sep 10, 2008 Heidi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every one
Recommended to Heidi by: Found at library
I loved this book. There are many great twist and turns and while some things I felt were predictable there were some surprises. I read this book in about 12 hours I loved it so much I just couldn't put it down.

This is a book about a woman fighting for the woman's right to vote. It showcases the internal fight to choose a person's path in life. The heart vs. the mind. I found Katie the lead character easy to like and want to root for in all of the trials that come up.

This is written by a christ
Chesney
I love finding books like this one. Having a second chance and finding out what is really important. Watch out for the crazy school teacher!!
Sandra
Jan 06, 2014 Sandra added it
This is so not my cup of tea. I don't like romances as a rule, and Heavy-handed Christian fiction irritates me. This book is both - so if you're looking for that, you'll probably like it. I don't want to give it a low rating because I'm not sure it was bad for what it is, I just didn't like it. I found it too simple & predictable, with annoying inner dialogue and stereotypical characters.
Katherine
I enjoyed the adventure of the girl in the story, Katy, who is very politically minded and involved in the Womens Suffrage movement. She is very ambitious and a young man who she knew from her small town was very educated, but just wants to run the town newspaper. The story includes her family, and I can't remember who it includes in his family. It has a very cute twist at the end of the story about another relative, I believe. I thought it was very cute. It had no bad parts because it was writt ...more
Kelsi Nelson
If I had lived at the turn of the nineteenth to the twentieth century, I'd have been a Suffragette--I'm just sure of it!

Favorite moment: when Ben is thinking about how hard-headed and stubborn and feisty and unyielding and frustrating Katie is, and it ends with "And oh, how he loved her." COME ON! Not "BUT oh, how he loved her." AND. He didn't love her despite her flaws. He loved her because of them. Who doesn't think that's wonderful?! I read that line and melted a little. No shame here.
Grazyna Nawrocka
Well, this woman for sure was not designed to be a man's "shadow." I enjoyed this story, but sadly found many attitudes to remain in society to the present times. Although I am not a feminist, I wished Katie dared to drive her car with her man at her side.
Maryann
My favourite book about a feminist in the early 20th century who puts romance at the very bottom of her priority list. She returns to her home town to advocate more on women's rights and voting only to run into best friend Ben who runs the local papers.Sparks fly and with a few politics, a bit of history, buckets of faith, a crazy man hater thrown into the picture, a great story is brewed.

Got the book from MV Doulos
Wendic
This book was a lovely story of a vibrant young news reporter who challenges her small town by supporting the sufferage movement. She struggles in her lovelife when the reality of running for political office consumes all of her time. I highly recommend this books. It is a very easy read.
I read this book before sometime within the last 2 years, but forgot that I had and checked it out again from the library. I think it was ok. I am having fun reading it again. I know that this one is very similar to a Deanne Gist book, and I actually liked that one better.
Alyson Farmer
This book was historically interesting, but a bit disappointing. Somehow I thought the main character would realize that raising a family was a higher priority than women's rights, but she didn't. I guess my own values sent me a different direction.
Sherri
This started out being a light read...then got into the struggle of two spouses wanting their individuality and how to work it out together for the good of their marriage. Most unexpected since I thought is was going to be a light, quick read.
Heather Gray
I liked this book. It was..ordinary. Nothing completely flared from it. I loved Katies character. And Ben's.
And I laughed the whole way through - not because it's funny, but because of the irony. I have two friends...Katie, and Ben.
Hm.
Julie
A-
This is a hard book to grade because, technically speaking, it's not really spectacular. But for what it is, it's enjoyable and well done. But compared to other books, like Sense and Sensibility, it doesn't really hold up.
Aliess
This author is from my home state, so I'm a bit of a sucker. Maybe not the most inovative stories but they are fun, light, and clean Christian books. I have read three other books by this author.
BookDigger
I really enjoyed this book. Refreshing, uplifting, inspirational: just what I needed. It wasn't thought-provoking and invigorating in that sense, but rather just an easy read to set my heart at rest.
Kati
I've actually read this book twice ... quite by accident. This is one of her books that has been published twice under different titles (Kiss Me Katie). I really liked it both times :-)
Jesstme
Robin Lee Hatcher makes quick work of a standard romance and uses broad strokes for all involved.

Recommended for fans of Christian fiction.
  • The Inheritance
  • A Path Toward Love
  • All the Tea in China
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • Hidden Affections (Hearts Along The River #3)
  • Deep in the Heart of Trouble
  • Lady of Light (Brides of Culdee Creek #3)
  • Hope Rekindled (Striking a Match, #3)
  • Four Weddings and a Kiss
  • Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams, #2)
  • The Reliance (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #2)
  • The Anonymous Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #1)
  • Guardian of the Flame
  • Love at Any Cost (The Heart of San Francisco, #1)
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
  • To Win Her Heart
A Note from Robin: I schedule Goodreads giveaways every month. If you're interested in my books, please become a "Goodreads fan" so that you'll be notified of my giveaways when they occur.

Official Bio: Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. Recipient of the L
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...
A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1) Belonging (Where the Heart Lives, #1) Dear Lady (Coming to America #1) Fit to Be Tied (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #2) A Promise Kept (Kings Meadow Romance, #1)