Start by marking “On Etruscan Time” as Want to Read:
On Etruscan Time

On Etruscan Time (Cold in Summer #2)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A shadow moved in the doorway of the building. It was a boy. As he hesitated, someone must have pushes him from behind. He stumbled down the short stairway and fell heavily to his knees.
He couldn't break his fall, Hector realized, because his arms were tied behind him.

A mysterious talisman transports a boy back to ancient Italy

No one ever listens to Hector. He wanted to
Published May 1st 2005 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about On Etruscan Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Etruscan Time

The Clay Lion by Amalie JahnThe Last Timekeepers and the Arch of Atlantis by Sharon LedwithKnot in Time by Alan  TuckerNumber 13 by M.G. WellsTime Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
YA + MG Time Travel
162nd out of 166 books — 154 voters
A Time Apart by Diane StanleyAll That Glitters by Jean FerrisEyeliner of the Gods by Katie MaxwellChloe, Queen of Denial by Naomi NashA Dig in Time by Peni R. Griffin
Archeology in Middle Grade & YA Fiction
18th out of 31 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

April Helms
Jan 04, 2008 April Helms rated it liked it
Recommends it for: older children, young adult
A young boy is first disappointed by the prospect of having to go to Italy instead of staying home with his friends all summer, but a series of strange incidences at an archeological site have him digging for answers. A main theme is independence, and of Hector’s struggles to get adults around him to listen.
It is very easy to read and follow, even with the liberal sprinkling of Italian, French, Etruscan and other languages; there is a glossary in the back of the book that helps with translation
Aj Lawton
Feb 24, 2014 Aj Lawton rated it liked it
In the book, "On Etruscan Time" There is a young boy named Hector. Hector is 11 years old, Hector is visitng his mother in Italy. His mother is a archeologists. Onc Hector was visiting, his mother was in the middle of an operation. He was bored and spotted a rock. This rock was very unique, it wasn't just any ordanary rock. The rock had a symbol of an eye. Hector didn't think anything was that special about it. But all the sudden he got interested in it. He finds that whenever he is holding the ...more
LCL Children'S
Mar 17, 2015 LCL Children'S rated it liked it
Hector is not excited about accompanying his mother to Italy for an archaeological dig -- he'd rather be hanging out with his friends all summer, sleeping until noon, playing video games, and going to the pool. But he can't help but be interested in the dig site, especially when one archaeologist encourages him to help out, showing him how to excavate in a practice area that's not part of the official dig site. When Hector discovers an eye-shaped token, the archaeologist dismisses it as a modern ...more
Jami
Jul 05, 2010 Jami rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young Readers, Sci Fans, Archeology Fans
Recommended to Jami by: Library
It was kind of slow for me. I picked it up because it was short read and had information about Etruscans and archeology, but I was kind of disappointed. I wanted more information about the Etruscans. It ended up being more of a sci fi book which is probably partly my fault since I didn't read the book description very carefully.
Shannon
Mar 31, 2009 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: youngadult
It's a little funny how much the concept of "time" has been on my mind. When I started this book, I didn't even think about the fact that the word "time" was in the title or that I finished a book yesterday that dealt with saving versus using our time. Still, it was an enjoyable book that fits into the oeuvre I seem to be pursuing unintentionally.

I read this book because I enjoyed The Sherlock Files by this author - and, quite honestly, because the author lives in Nashville and teaches at Vandy,
Sumaita Ahmed
Apr 10, 2014 Sumaita Ahmed rated it it was ok
-_________- I am sorry. This book is just too lame and stupid. I found it very slow. Ending was okay though. So many things in the book happened 'somehow'. I wish the writer wrote exactly how. :''((
Oree
Jul 16, 2016 Oree rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like adventure and mystery
Recommended to Oree by: It was an assignment
I loved this book, it was amazing. It pulls you in a lot, and leaves you with A LOT of cliff hangers at the end of a chapter.
rr
Jun 12, 2010 rr added it
Another YA gem from Tracy Barrett. This one continues with some of the characters and themes from Cold in Summer, but now Barrett has merged a contemporary setting (21st century Italy) and an historical one (Etruscan times). I was delighted by the way in which Barrett wove into her narrative tantalizing bits and pieces of what we know about Etruscan history, archaeology, art, and language.
Mandi Murphy
Apr 05, 2010 Mandi Murphy rated it really liked it
I found this book well written and interesting. It develops quickly but believably, has likable characters, and has some educational value. And everything turns out just as it should, which can't be overlooked. I enjoyed it a great deal. I'll be forcing my children to read it this summer (cackle!)
Leane
Dec 19, 2010 Leane rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for 6th grade lit. circles. The result? Now I'm dreading lit. circles. This book is super boring and confusing. I don't recommend it for students in the classroom, they probably won't enjoy it. It's slow, at times hard to follow, and just not worth it. Sorry.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it
Hector is not happy to be spending his summer vacation in Italy with his mother at an archaeological dig. He has nightmares about Arath , an Etruscan boy who died thousands of years ago. Arath is begging for Hector’s help to save his life.
Keri
Jul 08, 2010 Keri rated it really liked it
A young boy joins his mom on an archeological dig where he finds an unusual rock with a painted eye one it. This rock brings him back in time to an Etruscan city where he is asked to help prevent a young boy from being murdered.
Patricia
Mar 19, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Tracy Barrett's story transports readers to a little-known era of ancient history readers will enjoy learning more about. She handles the complexities of time travel in this story well!
Haley
Apr 01, 2009 Haley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10 and up
I love this book. It is a story about a boy named Hector who goes on an adventure to save a boy, Arath, from the past! I highly recommend this book!
Magda
Jul 13, 2010 Magda rated it really liked it
I'm not sure whether or not I picked this because I enjoyed the same author's Anna of Byzantium, but I enjoyed this time-traveling tale.
Leia Horton
Jun 06, 2009 Leia Horton rated it really liked it
Very educational about this people group in ancient Italy.
April
Feb 05, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-Bar
Sharonah
Sharonah is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Briana
Briana rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Star
Star rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Benjamin Dragneel
Benjamin Dragneel marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Malar
Malar rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Justin Smith
Justin Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Emerald Girl
Emerald Girl marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
Jan 16, 2016
Alexa Stanley
Alexa Stanley marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I was born in 1955 in Cleveland, Ohio, and grew up mostly in New York state. I went to college in New England and graduate school in California.

The first book I ever read by myself was called Little Bobo and His Blue Jacket. I still have it. I learned to read when I was three, but I know now that this doesn't mean much. My brother didn't really read until he was seven, and now he reads more and re
More about Tracy Barrett...

Cold in Summer (2 books)