Start by marking “Beyond the Shadows” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Shadows

Beyond the Shadows

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Deborah Haskin's husband dies, her world is torn apart. She finds hope and healing when an old war buddy of her husband's shows up on her doorstep. But as she begins to open up to Gideon Clermont, Deborah comes to some terrible realizations-Gideon suffers from alcoholism, and sometimes the people who bring healing bring hurt as well. Deborah learns to cling to Jesus a ...more
Published May 10th 2004 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Shadows

Tami
Beyond the Shadows: A Love Story is a touching story about one woman's spiritual journey. Deborah Haskin's life was wonderful. She and her new husband, Andy, had just bought near the small town of Amethyst. Though a city boy, Andy's dream was to become a farmer, have children, and grow old with Deborah. Unfortunately, these dreams were not meant to be. After only fifteen months of marriage, Andy was killed in a farming accident. Deborah was crushed. She was angry at Andy for leaving her and angr ...more
Roberta
Every now and then I like to take a detour from my regular suspenseful reading material. Hence, that is why I selected this book.

I was able to finish this book in a single day. Although I felt the writing itself was in the category of average, the story content made up for whatever was lacking in descriptive creativity. Also, I favor books that write about life in the 50's.

The story involved a married Christian woman living on a farm, widowed at a young age through a tragic farming accident. Bef
Debi
Surprised by this book. Didn't set out to choose a book about alcoholism. Rather would have avoided it, normally.
Addressed the subject of alcoholism in a fictional story that was real and honest. I liked the perspectives from all affected being shared. Real, but offered hope.
Joyce
Public library book. Is this my first book by this author? She has written tons. Well, here's what I think. Only took two days to read, which is too fast. I'll never remember it. It's squeaky clean. It's about alcoholism. It's Biblical. There are awesome spiritual lessons in it. But ...
the writing is not tight, the descriptions are not there, the characters are lacking something, and I'm not crazy about this pov style.
Overall it's a good book. It's rather a light read where I think it would be h
Melaniegurnett
I enjoyed this book about love, loss, tragedy and heart ache.
Hatcher did a good job writing about a difficult topic. I like her use of first person accounts written throughout the book from Deb and Gideon's friends and family.
It helped to show how hard situations hurt everyone and people need a community of loving friend to help get them through. And of course a constant dependence on Jesus Christ.
Sandy
What a wonderful read. So many wonderful points to help out with my friend who is going thru the same thing. I have recommended the book to several people. I will be reading more from this author.
Sue
Set in the 1950s in the USA, the book opens at the heroine's husband's funeral, where she meets a friend of her husband's. Sensitively written, probably eye-opening to some, I found this very moving and difficult to put down by the time I was half-way through. A pity that the blurb on the back reveals one of the significant plot points, however.
Paula-O
This is a wonderful book about love the second time around and touches alcaholic addiction. I am anxious to find out if they can weather the storms in their lives and come out victorius. I have finished reading as I could not put down very long. Robin did a great job on this one,it held my interest to the end and told a story that needed to be told.
Dawn
This is a good Christian book about a woman who realizes that her husband is an alcoholic. I thought the author did a good job of being realistic in Deborah's desire to trust in God to turn a bad situation into something good, but her natural instinct to try to handle things on her own. Love the sinner, hate the sin.
Patricia
Robin Lee Hatcher outdid herself in penning this story. Reader becomes a part of the journey and it's difficult to quit reading. This is definitely a journey worth taking. Be ready to feel joy, anger, hope, and despair with the main characters. Robin Lee Hatcher makes it real.
Margaret
I would have liked this book better in a contemporary setting rather than the period right after the Korean War. I didn't get a feel for that period especially, but I did like the depiction of what life is like for the family of an alcoholic.
Heidi

Well, I liked the story line about the alcoholic husband and the wife's struggles but I just felt it lacked...something. I usually enjoy Ms. Hatchers books but I wasn't too thrilled w/ this 1.
Bobbi Smiley
a good ending about alcoholism
Michelle
I am currently reading Beyond The Shadows by Robin Lee Hatcher.

Beyond The Shadows
Robin Lee Hatcher
Christian Fiction
319 pages

Paula Bradway
It was life like in its intensity. Good book for anyone in that situation to read.
Kitty
This reinforces in the midst of sin, God still loves us and he is ever present.
Linda
EXCELLENT!!! I highly recommend this book!
Kim♥
Set in the 1950s.
Andy
It was pretty good!
Cindi
Cindi marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • Sunrise on the Battery
  • No Legal Grounds
  • Virginia
  • Red Bird (Prairie Winds, #3)
  • Heirloom Brides: Button String Bride/Wedding Quilt Bride/Bayside Bride/Persistent Bride
  • In All Deep Places
  • Four Weddings and a Kiss
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • Room of Marvels
  • A Stitch in Time: Basket Stitch/Double Cross/Spider Web Rose/Double Running
  • Minding Molly (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #3)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • Hidden Affections (Hearts Along The River #3)
  • Beyond the Night
  • Beyond a Doubt (Rock Harbor Series #2)
  • Embrace Me
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • The High Calling: 1940 (The House of Winslow #37)
A Note from Robin: I schedule Goodreads giveaways every month. If you're interested in my books, please become a "Goodreads fan" so that you'll be notified of my giveaways when they occur.

Official Bio: Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. The winner of the
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...
A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1) Belonging (Where the Heart Lives, #1) Dear Lady (Coming to America #1) Fit to Be Tied (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #2) Catching Katie