Start by marking “Mogul” as Want to Read:
Mogul

Mogul

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

From the Essence bestselling author of Hiding in Hip Hop and an entertainment insider—a juicy debut novel about the “down-low” life of one of New York’s most beloved Hip Hop producers.

After the suddendeath of his father, a renowned jazz musician, Aaron “Big A.T.” Tremble clings to music as an escape. Making hiphop beatsbecomes his life.His love formusic lands him at the es

Published June 14th 2011 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Mogul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mogul

African Americans on the Move Book Club
Mogul starts off with a controversial paragraph on the very first page… “I have a record label, clothing line, real estate properties, and television and film deals. And oh yeah, I just signed a licensing agreement with a liquor company to use my name and image.” From that description alone, I was pulled into the world of Aaron Tremble AKA Big A.T., the CEO of Change Up Records.
Big A.T. introduces us to an underworld of myriad gay men in the entertainment industry known as “The Family”, who use
Terrance Dean
May 17, 2011 Terrance Dean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Entertainment industry insider and author of the Essence bestselling Memoir, HIDING IN HIP HOP, returns with a highly-anticipated novel that explores the secret gay life of a hip-hop’s impresario

MOGUL: A Novel
By Terrance Dean

With the publication of Hiding in Hip-Hop, the controversial Essence bestselling expose that set the entertainment industry on its ear, Terrance Dean, who has worked in television and film for well over a decade, became the voice of African American men in Hollywood and in H
Reading in Black & White
Oct 15, 2011 Reading in Black & White rated it it was amazing
Title: Mogul
Author: Terrance Dean
Rating: 5
Headline: Hard to Put Down!

Every so often I pick up a book that actually provides insight to a particular part of our society, and Mogul by Terrance Dean does exactly that for the entertainment industry. Even though it is written as a piece of fiction by the end, you will be trying to figure out who each character mirrors in real life. Although it may be a little sensationalized it does not reach the point of unbelievable.

Big A.T. is the main character o
Karma Jones
Jan 09, 2012 Karma Jones rated it liked it
Well.... I was super excited to read this book but I ended up with mixed feelings. I kept waiting for a big, big twist and it just didn't happen. The sex scenes were VERY graphic and I agree with another reader who said the book just got boggled down with the industry "name -dropping". I did have fun at first trying to figure out if Mr. Dean was trying to hint at specific people in the industry ..but things got vague quickly. I would be much more interested in a spin-off book about the baby-mama ...more
Jonathan
Dec 05, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
A great novel about a gay hip-hop producer's decision to come out and find out whether his colleagues and fans will abandon or accept him. Having established what is happening now, the story goes back to when Big A.T. is a newcomer on the music scene in New York and taken under the wing of successful producer, Pop, introduced to the Family, various gay men in positions of power in hip-hop, and his own subsequent successes. Things get complicated when he is encouraged to keep his love life on the ...more
Pamela Beverly
Oct 06, 2013 Pamela Beverly rated it really liked it
Mogul was a very enjoyable, eye-opening glimpse into the other side of Hip-Hop. Why is that, though? Homosexuality is everywhere, from professional athletes to religious folk. Why not Hip-Hop?

My incredulity stemmed from the steps the main character had to take to keep it hidden. I thought that was sad. And although his style is a bit graphic (but then again, the Hip-Hop genre isn't exactly subtle), Terrance Dean was able to portray the sensitive side of his characters.

Although the backstory of A
Bianca Harrison
Jul 04, 2014 Bianca Harrison rated it it was amazing
Great book! Boy didn't I expect the twist and turns of homo...the book was a great page turner regarding the music industry and down low!! In all it kept me wanting more. This was my first read from the author and I must say he did an amazing job!
Edina Rose
Jan 03, 2012 Edina Rose rated it really liked it
The gay mogul, hum? Gay Romance and drama in the Hip hop -underground- world. It's a nice insight into the lives of Hip-Hop artists in the down-low.

Romance: Beautiful love story between Big A.T. the mogul ,and Tickman, the talented rapper he produces.

Of course, there is a poor woman in the mix, Big A.T.'s girlfriend and mother of his daughter. She thought she had found love. Makes me sick.

Drama: The outing and the coming out of a famous hip hop mogul. Cynical.

PS: The romance is bittersweet but
Sha
Oct 10, 2015 Sha added it
interestingly true so it was uncomforatbale.
Author G D  Grace
Oct 07, 2011 Author G D Grace marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read this one. The info below is taken from his FB post.

Today 6/14/2011 he kicks off a book-signing tour in NYC, then Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Baltimore, and Boston. Let's go people! Spread the word. Some cities I'll be at Barnes & Noble. The hottest book of the summer is here!

Here's the link: http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.c...
Renee
Jul 17, 2014 Renee rated it really liked it
This was a solid book, overall well written with a tabu subject to peak and keep your interest. I enjoyed the book and look forward to more books from Terrace Dean. I just feel that the ending fell flat and was a little odd. It left me with questions and unresolved character plots. What happened with Craig and the pictures? Will there be a sequel focusing on Jasmine?
Phillip Kilcrease
Very good book.
Ebony
Jun 09, 2011 Ebony rated it really liked it
Shelves: ficton
See my convo with Terrance Dean about Mogul for the Ms. Magazine Blog: http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2011/... and read my review on Truthdig: http://www.truthdig.com/arts_culture/...
Monique
Aug 24, 2011 Monique rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable how this story unfolds. Dean writes with such depth and detail that you will get caught up in the story and forget your reality. I'm adding this to my top shelf recommendations for 2011.
Emmanuel Emokor
Nov 14, 2013 Emmanuel Emokor rated it really liked it
This story is so good, just made me want more, but really I give it 4 stars because the ending is not what I expected, but still it's a great
Kenya
Sep 28, 2013 Kenya rated it liked it
Quick read. Though you think, "I can't read this. " You really won't be able to put it down. The ending was horrible. I was disappointed.
Kym
Aug 16, 2011 Kym rated it really liked it
If you miss E. Lynn Harris, check out this book. You'll feel right at home.
Rena
Jun 01, 2016 Rena rated it really liked it
Shelves: bois
4.5 stars. Yeah, I smell a sequel coming.
Darlyne Baugh-Johnson
Aug 05, 2011 Darlyne Baugh-Johnson rated it it was ok
Terrence Dean is the nicest man.
Alfreda
Kimberly
Mar 17, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Good Read!
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Zenia
Zenia rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Lisa Clark
Lisa Clark rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
wayne
wayne marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Mathis
Mathis marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Raache Reed
Raache Reed rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Scandalicious
  • Baltimore Chronicles Volume 2
  • No One in the World
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • Diamond Life: A Novel
  • The Throne
  • Deep Throat Diva
  • Bumped
  • A Dollar Outta Fifteen Cent
  • Camilla's Roses
  • All Up In My Business
  • Trying to Stay Saved (New Day Divas, 4)
  • Sins of the Father
  • Nothing Has Ever Felt Like This (Soulmates Dissipate, #5)
  • Passion Marks
  • The Secrets of Newberry
  • Cheaper to Keep Her
  • Blackberries, Blackberries
Full of startling anecdotes and incredible true stories, Hiding in Hip Hop is not a traditional tell-all. "
More about Terrance Dean...