Mogul

Mogul

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  19 reviews

From the Essence bestselling author of Hiding in Hip Hop and an entertainment insider—a juicy debut novel about the “down-low” life of one of New York’s most beloved Hip Hop producers.

After the suddendeath of his father, a renowned jazz musician, Aaron “Big A.T.” Tremble clings to music as an escape. Making hiphop beatsbecomes his life.His love formusic lands him at the es

Published June 14th 2011 by Atria Books

Terrance Dean
Entertainment industry insider and author of the Essence bestselling Memoir, HIDING IN HIP HOP, returns with a highly-anticipated novel that explores the secret gay life of a hip-hop’s impresario

MOGUL: A Novel
By Terrance Dean

With the publication of Hiding in Hip-Hop, the controversial Essence bestselling expose that set the entertainment industry on its ear, Terrance Dean, who has worked in television and film for well over a decade, became the voice of African American men in Hollywood and in H...more
African Americans on the Move Book Club
Mogul starts off with a controversial paragraph on the very first page… “I have a record label, clothing line, real estate properties, and television and film deals. And oh yeah, I just signed a licensing agreement with a liquor company to use my name and image.” From that description alone, I was pulled into the world of Aaron Tremble AKA Big A.T., the CEO of Change Up Records.
Big A.T. introduces us to an underworld of myriad gay men in the entertainment industry known as “The Family”, who use...more
Reading in Black & White
Title: Mogul
Author: Terrance Dean
Rating: 5
Headline: Hard to Put Down!

Every so often I pick up a book that actually provides insight to a particular part of our society, and Mogul by Terrance Dean does exactly that for the entertainment industry. Even though it is written as a piece of fiction by the end, you will be trying to figure out who each character mirrors in real life. Although it may be a little sensationalized it does not reach the point of unbelievable.

Big A.T. is the main character o...more
Karma Jones
Well.... I was super excited to read this book but I ended up with mixed feelings. I kept waiting for a big, big twist and it just didn't happen. The sex scenes were VERY graphic and I agree with another reader who said the book just got boggled down with the industry "name -dropping". I did have fun at first trying to figure out if Mr. Dean was trying to hint at specific people in the industry ..but things got vague quickly. I would be much more interested in a spin-off book about the baby-mama...more
Jonathan
A great novel about a gay hip-hop producer's decision to come out and find out whether his colleagues and fans will abandon or accept him. Having established what is happening now, the story goes back to when Big A.T. is a newcomer on the music scene in New York and taken under the wing of successful producer, Pop, introduced to the Family, various gay men in positions of power in hip-hop, and his own subsequent successes. Things get complicated when he is encouraged to keep his love life on the...more
Pamela Beverly
Mogul was a very enjoyable, eye-opening glimpse into the other side of Hip-Hop. Why is that, though? Homosexuality is everywhere, from professional athletes to religious folk. Why not Hip-Hop?

My incredulity stemmed from the steps the main character had to take to keep it hidden. I thought that was sad. And although his style is a bit graphic (but then again, the Hip-Hop genre isn't exactly subtle), Terrance Dean was able to portray the sensitive side of his characters.

Although the backstory of A...more
Bianca Harrison
Great book! Boy didn't I expect the twist and turns of homo...the book was a great page turner regarding the music industry and down low!! In all it kept me wanting more. This was my first read from the author and I must say he did an amazing job!
Edina Rose
The gay mogul, hum? Gay Romance and drama in the Hip hop -underground- world. It's a nice insight into the lives of Hip-Hop artists in the down-low.

Romance: Beautiful love story between Big A.T. the mogul ,and Tickman, the talented rapper he produces.

Of course, there is a poor woman in the mix, Big A.T.'s girlfriend and mother of his daughter. She thought she had found love. Makes me sick.

Drama: The outing and the coming out of a famous hip hop mogul. Cynical.

PS: The romance is bittersweet but...more
Author G D  Grace
Oct 07, 2011 Author G D Grace marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read this one. The info below is taken from his FB post.

Today 6/14/2011 he kicks off a book-signing tour in NYC, then Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Baltimore, and Boston. Let's go people! Spread the word. Some cities I'll be at Barnes & Noble. The hottest book of the summer is here!

Here's the link: http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.c...
Renee
This was a solid book, overall well written with a tabu subject to peak and keep your interest. I enjoyed the book and look forward to more books from Terrace Dean. I just feel that the ending fell flat and was a little odd. It left me with questions and unresolved character plots. What happened with Craig and the pictures? Will there be a sequel focusing on Jasmine?
Ebony
See my convo with Terrance Dean about Mogul for the Ms. Magazine Blog: http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2011/... and read my review on Truthdig: http://www.truthdig.com/arts_culture/...
Monique
Unbelievable how this story unfolds. Dean writes with such depth and detail that you will get caught up in the story and forget your reality. I'm adding this to my top shelf recommendations for 2011.
Emmanuel Emokor
This story is so good, just made me want more, but really I give it 4 stars because the ending is not what I expected, but still it's a great
Kenya
Quick read. Though you think, "I can't read this. " You really won't be able to put it down. The ending was horrible. I was disappointed.
Kym
If you miss E. Lynn Harris, check out this book. You'll feel right at home.
Darlyne Baugh
Terrence Dean is the nicest man.
Alfreda
...Its a page turner
Jade Armstrong
Jade Armstrong marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
KingVV
KingVV added it
Jul 18, 2014
Shawnna White
Shawnna White marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Ewan
Ewan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
WillJ
WillJ marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Full of startling anecdotes and incredible true stories, Hiding in Hip Hop is not a traditional tell-all. "
More about Terrance Dean...
Hiding in Hip Hop: On the Down Low in the Entertainment Industry--From Music to Hollywood Straight from Your Gay Best Friend: The Straight-Up Truth About Relationships, Work, and Having a Fabulous Life Reclaim Your Power!: A 30-Day Guide to Hope, Healing, and Inspiration for Men of Color Mogul: A Novel Hiding in Hip Hop: On the Down Low in the Entertainment Industry--From Music to Hollywood