Start by marking “Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved” as Want to Read:
Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved

Read Book

Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  157 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Mary Magdalene was a woman whose life circumstances led her from demonic possession and prostitution to being the first witness of the greatest event in world history. In an attempt to reconstruct her life, this book demonstrates her struggle as she confronts the patriarchal traditions embedded in first century culture, the hypocritical practice of condemning only one gend ...more
Nook, 881 pages
Published January 12th 2011 by Steve Copland, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Mary Magdalene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Magdalene

booklady
Mary Magdalene or Mary of Magdala and sometimes The Magdalene is one of my favorite characters from the Bible. Her conversion story—testimony to the mercy of God—encourages me more than any other. Not only was she forgiven but she was also accorded the supreme honor of being the first (known) witness to Christ’s Resurrection. Steve Copland’s Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved is a fictional recounting of the familiar story of Mary’s life from prostitute to Pentecost. Copland offsets Mary’s story ...more
Caedy  Eries
Aug 29, 2011 Caedy Eries rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary is a woman, scorned and damned by her actions. She was the defiler of marriages, she was unclean, unholy, a leper without the visible signs of disease that identified. Her mind was at war with itself, good with evil wound within thoughts of self despair and self loathing.

The book is uniquely written and its focus tends to drift off the focus of the main character and focus on a different variety of many characters that we know from the biblical stories of Jesus. John the Baptist, Herod and
Abbie Winters
Mar 03, 2013 Abbie Winters rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
I am a lover of historical fiction, especially bible-based. This novel touched me like no other. Mary Magdalene has been a topic of defamation in the past few years with various authors, but Steve Copland's novel keeps to the bible's account and shows the beautiful story of how a woman driven to despair finds freedom, love and acceptance as a disciple of Jesus.

The novel moves through many of the well-known characters of the bible, those stories of lepers and blind men whose names are n
Steve Copland
Feb 07, 2013 Steve Copland rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
My apologies to all those who read the unedited version of Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved. Long story short, it was not suppose to be published in that condition. It has been proofread now and hopefully 99% of the mistakes have been corrected.

This is a 'like or hate it' kind of book. For those who have decided that Mary Magdalene was something akin to the mythical character of Dan Brown's novel, my novel will be like a red rag to a bull. However, if you believe the Gospels to be accurate acco
Vanessa
Jul 09, 2012 Vanessa rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this e-book. I do not consider myself a Bible scholar, but I am somewhat familiar with the story of Mary of Magdalene. She was the woman in the Bible who washed Jesus's feet with her hair and poured the expensive oil on His head. In modern terms, she was a reformed prostitute. This story is a fictional account that includes Mary's meeting of Jesus, her reformation, and Jesus's crucifixion. I like how the author took well known stories from the Bible and retold them in a ...more
Kjanell
Jun 23, 2012 Kjanell rated it it was amazing
I don't have words to describe how deeply this story touched me. Aside from the Bible, I don't remember ever reading anything that has reached into my innermost being as much as this story has. I LOVE this book. An inspiring and touching 'conglomeration' of stories & characters that all converge to tell the story of Jesus' ministry and the lives he touched. I know this book is fiction, but it really gives voice to some of the stories from the Bible. I just love it!
Becky
Jan 06, 2013 Becky rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I started reading this book because of a fascination I have with the story of Mary Magdalene and the idea that she escaped to France and bore the children of Christ...yadda yadda yadda. I don't need to go into all that here, you have Google, use it. The book started off all right, bad editing aside. The character development was interesting and the overlapping plot lines were enough to keep my curiosity piqued for awhile.
A few chapters in I began to find it harder and harder to read the book ob
Anne Peters
Feb 10, 2013 Anne Peters rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 18 moths ago and the punctuation did bother me a little, so I appreciated the author's note. As he states, its a 'like it or hate it' novel, as many of the reviews show.

I am in the 'absolutely loved it' category. Copland contrasts the story of two Roman soldiers seeking spiritual power and truth through mithraism, with Mary's story of spiritual freedom. The soldiers are drawn into a demonic cult and become slaves to the power of unclean spirits, while Mary finds forgivene
Cherise
May 21, 2012 Cherise rated it liked it
I'd give this book 4 stars if it weren't so badly edited. A small amount of time with a person would have fixed many obvious errors caused by spellcheck. That said, the story is compelling, complex, historically detailed, and emotionally powerful. It deserved a far more careful edit than it received. Highly recommended.
Marnie
Sep 18, 2013 Marnie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I am not one to get into religious books, but this one I was just captivated. A bit on the heavy read side, but glad I took the time to read. While this novel is about Mary Magdalene it is also the path of Jesus to his crucifixion. It is by far not a happy novel per se, but one that touches the heart.
Maryellen
Jan 03, 2013 Maryellen rated it it was amazing
This was a very good story! This was the bible story of mary magdalene who although she did bad things she was forgiven by jesus and felt true love.
Tuanna
Feb 17, 2013 Tuanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
So realistic I felt as if I was there. I could see everything she saw and felt as though it was happening to me. Very well written. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves Jesus and wants to read more about the people around Him.
Sara Smith
Sep 28, 2011 Sara Smith rated it it was ok
I think this book's title is misleading because the story is split equally between many characters and is not focused on Mary as much as I thought it would be.
Cathy
Apr 16, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2012-books-read
Gave me a clearer meaning to what part Mary Magdalene in reference of her leaving her sinning life to follow Jesus. Very good book!
Sharon
Feb 10, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
Started off maybe a little slow but couldn't put it down by the end.
Callie Mcgonegal
Feb 07, 2013 Callie Mcgonegal rated it it was amazing
love the story
Leslie
Feb 08, 2013 Leslie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody!
This book suffers from all the problems facing Christ centered novels without any of the redeming qualities. It is trite and over written. Instead of focusing on Mary and her journey the author got so excited about the miracles of Christ that he lost sight of his heroine. There are too many characters making the story seem broken up and over done. Copland spends so much time building the background of the story (historical setting, religious background, geographical insights) that his characters ...more
Samantha Clysdale
Sep 02, 2015 Samantha Clysdale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit disappointed that this book was not just Mary Magdalene. However it had a game of thrones expected to the book. Told through many other people.

I really enjoyed the book. I will be looking forward to more in this series.

Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Mary Magdalene: A Woman Who Loved. Steve Copland, NB-M @ 2011, 3/14. A novel based on the Bible's story of the crucifiction and resurrection of Jesus. Okay.
Amyjo
May 26, 2014 Amyjo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and some good writing, but at times it felt contrived with too many characters which were never fully developed.
Denise Barney
Apr 29, 2012 Denise Barney rated it liked it
This book needed a good editor and a good proof-reader. the bookstarted as a retelling of Mary Magdalene and the last year of Jesus' life, death, and Resurrection. Mr. Copeland did a lot.of research into the Roman era; unfortunately, he tried to cram it all in and loses his focus.

A bit maudlin and the characters could have used more fleshing out.

Not bad, a fairly quck read, but not something I would have paid for.
Janeice
Sep 20, 2011 Janeice rated it did not like it
I did not care for this book, to many different people and you had a hard time keeping track of who is who. It just didn't flow right to me. The idea behind it was good and it brought a lot of good points as far as being saved and how to deal with demons and power of Jesus name. I just couldn't get the whole story with so many different chaacters. Would not recommend.
Julieann
Oct 20, 2012 Julieann rated it liked it
At almost 900 pages, this is a long book. In addition to the story of Mary Magdalene, it includes several side stories most which fold back into the main character's story. However, these make the book extremely long. A little more focus on Mary would have improved this book.
Cathy
Jul 14, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
A story of Mary in the lead-up to her conversion. Some very moving parts. Introduces several other actors on the stage of history.
The story ends just before Jesus is arrested. Really felt like there should be another book to follow. Will have to check it out.
S Hinchcliffe
Oct 25, 2012 S Hinchcliffe rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no
I found this extremely difficult to start. Several starts and lengthy stops. Finally finished.

Found the ending to be extremely disappointing. Too contrived, and no finishing to the depth that had been developed within the middle.

Linda
I bit disjointed but liked the historical fill in, with details of the Roman soldiers perspective and the Jewish culture. Disappointed where it ended and feel the title was misleading.
Amanda
Mar 08, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I am torn about this book. The writing would be great for pre-teen and up, but the emotions it evoked brings my rating up a bit. An FYI, we know what happens at the end.
Lisa
Feb 08, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Actually a very nice view of the infamous story. Althougg the grammar should have been double checked it does not make the book bad. I enjoyed this!
Marym
Nov 07, 2012 Marym rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-like
Didn't care for it. It stopped being about Mary Magdalene and was more about some Roman soldiers and the devil.
Sandra Gilbert
Jul 12, 2013 Sandra Gilbert rated it liked it
It ended rather abruptly. But in thinking about it, the ending made sense.
Is the book finished......? 3 9 Oct 25, 2013 02:14PM
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • Journal of a Cavalry Bugler
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • The Promise: How God Works All Things Together for Good
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • From the Ashes
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • Breakthrough!: How the 10 Greatest Discoveries in Medicine Saved Millions and Changed Our View of the World
  • The Man of Their Lives
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Weeping Willow - Part One (Weeping Willow, #1)
  • Pride and Prejudice: The Wild and Wanton Edition
  • The Socratic Dialogues
  • Life Blood
  • Trade Winds
  • Everybody's Daughter
I was born into what seemed like a tribe rather than a normal family, having seven siblings. In my early years until the age of eight my family moved around New Zealand as my father was a full-time Baptist pastor. I found it difficult to accept Christianity. At thirteen I joined a heavy rock band and started learning martial arts. A deep interest in philosophy saw me reading books from my father's ...more
More about Steve Copland...