Start by marking “Private #1 Suspect (Private, #2)” as Want to Read:
Private #1 Suspect (Private, #2)

Private #1 Suspect (Private #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,520 Ratings  ·  886 Reviews
Unsolvable cases

Since former Marine Jack Morgan started Private, it has become the world's most effective investigation firm--sought out by the famous and the powerful to discreetly handle their most intimate problems. Private's investigators are the smartest, the fastest, and the most technologically advanced in the world--and they always uncover the truth.

Impossible murd
Published January 2nd 2012 by Little, Brown and Company (first published December 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Private #1 Suspect, please sign up.

Sall I'm guessing Private Games, I've just started the book and Jack is in London following a plane crash over the ocean that none of the London staff…moreI'm guessing Private Games, I've just started the book and Jack is in London following a plane crash over the ocean that none of the London staff survived. Having said that, it does feel as though there should have been a book in between setting up the crash. (less)

Monnie
Feb 20, 2012 Monnie rated it really liked it
James Patterson, to me, is the McDonald's of the mystery market; every six months at most, he (in most cases helped by co-authors) churns out another book. And although I'm a fan who's read a huge number of them, I'd be the first to say that quality has suffered; there are at least three fairly recent numbers I haven't even bothered to start because the few I'd read before that were borderline trite and the newer ones weren't faring all that well in the review department.

The "Private" series, ho
Andy
Apr 19, 2012 Andy rated it liked it
I didn't think this was one of James Patterson's best books, but it was still a good one. The familiar characters of Private detective agency were back with a few new characters added in as others started to move on.

The short chapters of the book (2-3 pages long each) made it for an easy read, but it seemed to drain it of the depth of story that the Richard Castle mystery I recently read had. You don't get as close or as emotionally involved with the characters so I felt more like I was being t
KRM
Jul 04, 2012 KRM rated it did not like it
I'll start off by saying that I hated the first book in this new series, Private. The plots were all over the place and had no real point to them. The characters were so one dimensional and irritating. And worst of all it felt like it was written for people who have never read a book before. I was then highly recommended it's follow-up Private London, which had a new set of characters, was set in England and had a decent plot and I actually really enjoyed it. Because I liked the sequel I thought ...more
Sara
Mar 13, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mais um livro fabuloso de James Patterson em colaboração com Maxine Paetro!
Muito melhor que o primeiro volume! Adorei!
Simone Perren
May 19, 2016 Simone Perren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Private series which I have read this year. I liked this one a lot and I think it has a lot to do with the collaborating writer, Maxine Paetro. I think her writing style mixed with that of Patterson's is a wonderful mixture and I think they bring the best out of each other. However, I have to say I gave this book only a four star rating as it fell a little short of excellent for me. This is because I am not a general fan of books or movies or TV shows that talk abou ...more
Katy
Nov 11, 2012 Katy rated it liked it
I usually like Patterson's books, and I hoped this would be a series I'd like. I'll probably read more about Private and Jack Morgan (or listen to it on audiobooks while driving). But...

(1) I hated the whiny sounding narrator of the audiobook. His voices of the characters were really bad, especially the women who were important to the hero.

(2) I wished there were heroes in Patterson's books that could handle commitment better or at least have a better moral code. I'm tired of hearing about/readi
Richard
Jan 16, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery/adventure lovers.
Recommended to Richard by: I try to read all Mr. Patterson's books.
Mr. Patterson and Ms. Paetro have created a really good story with this second of the franchise. The characters are clearly drawn; evil ones obviously bad, and too many people enjoying the trouble Jack Morgan is in.

This is really a tightly woven tale, with some surprises. It is straightforward enough to flow rapidly, with the trademark choppy chapters moving the action along. It is as though these Patterson books are created by someone with limited ability to concentrate. Obviously, with his ann
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Nicole Alycia
Nov 16, 2015 Nicole Alycia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
A fantastic follow up to a great first book!
I love that this book is about a group of people who work for a private investigating firm so the rules are a bit looser. The characters are fantastic! Well, I like the male characters, not the female characters as much.
It was such an intense story too! You read about Jack Morgan in one book and all of a sudden he's being charged with murder! It was a fantastic and quick read!
Naddy
Jun 26, 2016 Naddy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read James Patterson before, so i had no idea how are his books, I came across this book in library so i just thought of giving a try. To be very honest, i am kinda disappointed thankfully, i didn't spend any money ;)

When i started the plot seems to be quite exciting, there are three parallel cases,
1. A private investigator framed for murder of his wife.
2. A pharmaceutical drug robbery worth 30 million dollar.
3. Serial killer/ Movies stars murdered or rapist,
i thought they will be in
Lesley
Dec 21, 2011 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technically a 3 1/2. Not a HUGE fan of JP anymore, and even less so when others write his books for him, but this one was one of the better ones.
Alex
Aug 22, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
PRIVATE #1 SUSPECT (Pub. 2012) was an entertaining read. I buzzed through it in 24-hrs. Co-authored by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro, the book moves at a quick pace, with a solid dose of tension and thrills, and kept me wondering how the three separate story lines were going to turn out.

The main story line is focused on Jack Morgan, owner of Private, an investigation firm based in L.A. Jack is set up for the murder of his former girlfriend and pulls in his team to help solve the case again
Michelle (meshe)
Apr 07, 2012 Michelle (meshe) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Carol  MacInnis
Jan 25, 2013 Carol MacInnis rated it it was amazing
Jack Morgan, former marine, is owner of 'Private', an elite investigation firm. The keys of the firm were handed over to Jack by his father who started 'Private' as was serving time in prison for murder. Unfortunately his time was cut short when he was killed there. Jack has an identical twin brother, Tommy jr. who works for a firm in private security. Jack's father constantly pitted the brothers against one another since childhood and when their father died, Jack felt no remorse since all he re ...more
Sonia Cristina
Oct 27, 2014 Sonia Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: português, 2014
Muito no estilo do livro anterior, foi uma leitura mesmo muito boa, interessante e fluida. Aquele caso da ex de Jack aparecer morta na cama dele e todos os indícios apontarem para ele, deixou-me tão intrigada desde o início!

Adoro os personagens desta série! São todos tão peculiares e cativam a atenção desde a primeira vez que aparecem. Principalmente Jack Morgan, a sério, sinto-me fascinada por ele (apesar de, depois de pensar um bocado, reparar que é um mulherengo inveterado!).
Maria
Apr 02, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, leituras-2014
A vantagem em ler livros de James Patterson é que são de fácil leitura, capítulos curtos e sempre cheios de acção e cujo enredo é sempre atrativo. Isso são ingredientes suficientes para, cada vez que saia um novo livro do autor, ficar em pulgas para começar a lê-lo.

Neste segundo livro da série Jack Morgan, o principal suspeito é precisamente Jack. Quando chega de viagem depara-se com um corpo morto em cima da sua cama. E a vítima não é qualquer pessoa, mas nada mais nada menos que a sua ex-namor
Marla Madison
Apr 03, 2012 Marla Madison rated it liked it
This latest by the Patterson/Paetro combo is an satisfying read, another based on Jack Morgan and his team of investigators with Private, a multi-million dollar security agency.
Three separate story lines run within the book, all interesting and well told.
For me the weakness in the story is in the protagonist himself, Jack Morgan who is accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend in the beginning of the book. I don't like Jack Morgan. In one scene he is missing his dead girlfriend who he had goodbye
Trish Jackson
Aug 11, 2015 Trish Jackson rated it really liked it
Owner and president of Private, Jack Morgan, is the cops' number 1 suspect in the murder of Jack's ex girlfriend, who is found in his bed, shot by his gun, and with his dna inside her.

The only problem is, Jack didn't do it and he wasn't home when it happened.

I found Patterson's writing style to be a little different in this novel, and not sure if I like it, but the story was excellent and kept me turning the pages.
Jinky
(2.5)
Another adventurous crime book from duo James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. Four cases to solve in this installment for this high power investigation firm. One of which involved Jack Morgan, head honcho of said firm. Accused of murder of his ex-girlfriend no doubt. But, no fear! He does head the world's top detective agency so he's putting his men to work. Will they be able to pull it off?

With the multiple cases to follow, this was an eventful book. There was enough twists here and there to
Nicole
Apr 04, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I admit it: I'm a huge James Patterson fan. I don't even care that he "writes" 10 books a year, or that most of the books are written by co-authors. I love his stories and I will continue to read them for as long as he continues to publish them. This book was the second book in the Jack Morgan series (which I didn't know when I checked out, but turns out to not have mattered very much), so it looks like I've gotten myself roped into yet another James Patterson series (I'm slowly working my way t ...more
Lynn
Jan 31, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me until I was about halfway through the book to get super interested. The problem is that I just don't like the lead character, Jack Morgan, that much. Maybe it's because he's a womanizer and commitment-phobe, I don't know, but I have a hard time warming up to him. I love other Patterson lead characters, especially Alex Cross and Michael Bennett.

There were several crimes going on at the same time in this book that Private was trying to solve, and true to form, they solved all of them.
Carleen Hyatte
Aug 01, 2016 Carleen Hyatte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars.
I am in love with this series so far I'm impressed with it. Jack Morgan is a great character so far in this series. Rick is a great partner to Jack, Justine I feel is a great secondary character even though I feel like something bad is going to happen to her in the next book she is in. Book 3 in this series does not follow Jack which is sad but it takes place in Europe though.
Glenda L
Aug 26, 2015 Glenda L rated it really liked it
I like James Patterson ... and I like this new series. When I am looking for something to read, just for the sake of reading, I turn to James Patterson. This was actually a page turner for me, several different mysteries going on at the same time. I plan to read the next one.
Aaron
Feb 15, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I tend to really like the books Patterson creates with Maxine Paetro, and this was no disappointment. This is the second book that deals with a team who works with Private, an investigative firm owned by Iraq War veteran Jack Morgan. Various members from the agencies focus on 4 different cases, including the troubles of a young movie star and his interest in youger girls, a series of murders in local hotels, the theft of a van full of prescription drugs from a Las Vegas mob boss, and charges Jac ...more
Johnnie Gee
Mar 21, 2015 Johnnie Gee rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this read it picks up where the first book Private ended therefore be sure to read the books in order so you have a better understanding of the players and how they evolve with Private #1 Suspect.

Private is a high tech international investigative firm that hires specific people for their knowledge, experience, and drive. There are several plots running at the same time with the main one focused on the owner of Private Jack Morgan. However, the subplots are not ignored and as th
John
James Patterson's PRIVATE series is junk food for the brain. He takes very simple little detective stories and spices them up with a lot of fast cars, expensive gadgets, and loose women. Nothing in the book is very original, and none of the scenes resonate with any real dramatic power, but somehow it's all pretty entertaining nonetheless. I liked this entry quite a bit better than the first one, though the writing seemed just as artless as ever. It's a good book to pick up at the airport or some ...more
Brenda Whitner
Feb 01, 2012 Brenda Whitner rated it really liked it
Shelves: patterson
Good book. Kept you going with four sub plots. Jack is set up for killing Coleen, his ex-girlfriend. He is the number one suspect in the murder and is arrested. A van full of drugs worth thirty million dollars disappears. This belongs to the mob boss Noccia. He wants Morgan to solve the crime. He offers six million if he does. Jack doesn’t want to take the case but is forced to by the mob boss. A young star is blamed for killing a girl. A chain of hotel murders needs to be solved. There was a lo ...more
Stan Usher
Nov 10, 2015 Stan Usher rated it really liked it
Finished in one day..........was that good and that fast-paced
Diane
Apr 22, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
I kind of read the Private books backwards to far. This is the first. Jack Morgan runs Private and private investigating firm started by his father. When his father died in prison he left the agency to Jack. His twin brother Tommy hates him for it.

What I like about the Private series is that there are always several cases going on. The major one usually involves Jack. This time being accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend when he found her dead in his home.

I like Jack Morgan in that he is hones
Airaology
Dec 11, 2014 Airaology rated it it was ok
OKAY, where shall i start?
This was my first ever James Patterson novel. Thanks to my lovely friend, I broke my Patterson virginity. When I read this, it felt like it could be a plot for a tv series, ie Castle or something in that genre.
Three different cases, three different issues. Main guy, Jack is in trouble.
First, one is Jack's ex girlfriend, Colleen who was murdered in his home.
*gulp and gasps*
who would kill sweetheart Colleen and who would go out of their way to make Jack the number one sus
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 116 Mar 14, 2016 03:51PM
Does anyone have this 13 98 Aug 09, 2014 07:55PM
  • D.C. Dead (Stone Barrington, #22)
  • 15 Seconds
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Backfire (FBI Thriller, #16)
  • The Hunter (Wyatt Hunt, #3)
  • Guys Read: Boys Will Be Boys
  • Gun Games (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, #20)
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • Quinn (Eve Duncan, #13; Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #2)
  • Private L.A.: by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan -- Review
  • Shock Wave (Virgil Flowers, #5)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Victims (Alex Delaware, #27)
  • Down the Darkest Road (Oak Knoll, #3)
  • Red Mist (Kay Scarpetta, #19)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Private (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Private (Private, #1)
  • Private Games (Private #3)
  • Private London (Private #4)
  • Private Berlin (Private #5)
  • Private L.A. (Private, #6)
  • Private: Oz (Private #7)
  • Private India (Private #8)
  • Private Vegas (Private, #9)
  • Private Paris (Private, #10)
  • Private Rio (Private, #11)