Start by marking “Private #1 Suspect (Private, #2)” as Want to Read:
Private #1 Suspect (Private, #2)

Private #1 Suspect (Private #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  15,117 Ratings  ·  919 Reviews
Unsolvable cases

Since former Marine Jack Morgan started Private, it has become the world's most effective investigation firm--sought out by the famous and the powerful to discreetly handle their most intimate problems. Private's investigators are the smartest, the fastest, and the most technologically advanced in the world--and they always uncover the truth.

Impossible murd
Published January 2nd 2012 by Little, Brown and Company (first published December 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Private #1 Suspect, please sign up.

Sall I'm guessing Private Games, I've just started the book and Jack is in London following a plane crash over the ocean that none of the London staff…moreI'm guessing Private Games, I've just started the book and Jack is in London following a plane crash over the ocean that none of the London staff survived. Having said that, it does feel as though there should have been a book in between setting up the crash. (less)

Chelsey the crazy cat lady
Another great book in the private series. I was worried for Jack throughout the book and was glad when the truth came out. I hope Tommy goes to prison, what a douche!!! Loved the ending, a bit of romance
Monnie
Feb 20, 2012 Monnie rated it really liked it
James Patterson, to me, is the McDonald's of the mystery market; every six months at most, he (in most cases helped by co-authors) churns out another book. And although I'm a fan who's read a huge number of them, I'd be the first to say that quality has suffered; there are at least three fairly recent numbers I haven't even bothered to start because the few I'd read before that were borderline trite and the newer ones weren't faring all that well in the review department.

The "Private" series, ho
KRM
Jul 04, 2012 KRM rated it did not like it
I'll start off by saying that I hated the first book in this new series, Private. The plots were all over the place and had no real point to them. The characters were so one dimensional and irritating. And worst of all it felt like it was written for people who have never read a book before. I was then highly recommended it's follow-up Private London, which had a new set of characters, was set in England and had a decent plot and I actually really enjoyed it. Because I liked the sequel I thought ...more
Andy
Apr 19, 2012 Andy rated it liked it
I didn't think this was one of James Patterson's best books, but it was still a good one. The familiar characters of Private detective agency were back with a few new characters added in as others started to move on.

The short chapters of the book (2-3 pages long each) made it for an easy read, but it seemed to drain it of the depth of story that the Richard Castle mystery I recently read had. You don't get as close or as emotionally involved with the characters so I felt more like I was being t
Sara
Mar 13, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mais um livro fabuloso de James Patterson em colaboração com Maxine Paetro!
Muito melhor que o primeiro volume! Adorei!
Simone Perren
May 19, 2016 Simone Perren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Private series which I have read this year. I liked this one a lot and I think it has a lot to do with the collaborating writer, Maxine Paetro. I think her writing style mixed with that of Patterson's is a wonderful mixture and I think they bring the best out of each other. However, I have to say I gave this book only a four star rating as it fell a little short of excellent for me. This is because I am not a general fan of books or movies or TV shows that talk ...more
Katy
Nov 11, 2012 Katy rated it liked it
I usually like Patterson's books, and I hoped this would be a series I'd like. I'll probably read more about Private and Jack Morgan (or listen to it on audiobooks while driving). But...

(1) I hated the whiny sounding narrator of the audiobook. His voices of the characters were really bad, especially the women who were important to the hero.

(2) I wished there were heroes in Patterson's books that could handle commitment better or at least have a better moral code. I'm tired of hearing about/readi
Richard
Jan 16, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery/adventure lovers.
Recommended to Richard by: I try to read all Mr. Patterson's books.
Mr. Patterson and Ms. Paetro have created a really good story with this second of the franchise. The characters are clearly drawn; evil ones obviously bad, and too many people enjoying the trouble Jack Morgan is in.

This is really a tightly woven tale, with some surprises. It is straightforward enough to flow rapidly, with the trademark choppy chapters moving the action along. It is as though these Patterson books are created by someone with limited ability to concentrate. Obviously, with his ann
Nicole Alycia
Nov 16, 2015 Nicole Alycia rated it it was amazing
A fantastic follow up to a great first book!
I love that this book is about a group of people who work for a private investigating firm so the rules are a bit looser. The characters are fantastic! Well, I like the male characters, not the female characters as much.
It was such an intense story too! You read about Jack Morgan in one book and all of a sudden he's being charged with murder! It was a fantastic and quick read!
Lesley
Dec 21, 2011 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technically a 3 1/2. Not a HUGE fan of JP anymore, and even less so when others write his books for him, but this one was one of the better ones.
Mahoghani 23
Oct 19, 2016 Mahoghani 23 rated it liked it
Jack & Tom, twin brothers, have been molded to compete about everything from childhood even up to now. Tom hates Jack and has every intention of destroying him. Tom takes upon himself to frame Jack for the murder of one of his ex-girlfriends, Colleen Malloy. He murders her in Jack's home, in his bed using Jack's gun.

The police believe Jack committed the murder and they're out to take him down. His home, his gun and his ex-girlfriend; Jack's the prime suspect (the only suspect the police are
Garrett Moore
Oct 12, 2016 Garrett Moore rated it it was amazing
About the Author: James Patterson is a world renowned writer who has sold over 350 million books and has gotten a ton of awards for them. He has donated millions of books to colleges, schools, and U.S soldiers. So I'd say he's pretty generous and cares about passing his stories on.
Time Period: This is one of James Patterson’s more recent books and it's part of a series that he did. The book was published in 2012.
Setting: The setting of this book is in Los Angelos. Throughout the whole book, the
Carol  MacInnis
Jan 25, 2013 Carol MacInnis rated it it was amazing
Jack Morgan, former marine, is owner of 'Private', an elite investigation firm. The keys of the firm were handed over to Jack by his father who started 'Private' as was serving time in prison for murder. Unfortunately his time was cut short when he was killed there. Jack has an identical twin brother, Tommy jr. who works for a firm in private security. Jack's father constantly pitted the brothers against one another since childhood and when their father died, Jack felt no remorse since all he ...more
Alex
Aug 22, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
PRIVATE #1 SUSPECT (Pub. 2012) was an entertaining read. I buzzed through it in 24-hrs. Co-authored by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro, the book moves at a quick pace, with a solid dose of tension and thrills, and kept me wondering how the three separate story lines were going to turn out.

The main story line is focused on Jack Morgan, owner of Private, an investigation firm based in L.A. Jack is set up for the murder of his former girlfriend and pulls in his team to help solve the case again
Michelle (meshe)
Apr 07, 2012 Michelle (meshe) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Maria
A vantagem em ler livros de James Patterson é que são de fácil leitura, capítulos curtos e sempre cheios de acção e cujo enredo é sempre atrativo. Isso são ingredientes suficientes para, cada vez que saia um novo livro do autor, ficar em pulgas para começar a lê-lo.

Neste segundo livro da série Jack Morgan, o principal suspeito é precisamente Jack. Quando chega de viagem depara-se com um corpo morto em cima da sua cama. E a vítima não é qualquer pessoa, mas nada mais nada menos que a sua ex-namor
Marla Madison
Apr 03, 2012 Marla Madison rated it liked it
This latest by the Patterson/Paetro combo is an satisfying read, another based on Jack Morgan and his team of investigators with Private, a multi-million dollar security agency.
Three separate story lines run within the book, all interesting and well told.
For me the weakness in the story is in the protagonist himself, Jack Morgan who is accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend in the beginning of the book. I don't like Jack Morgan. In one scene he is missing his dead girlfriend who he had goodbye
Lynn
Jan 31, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me until I was about halfway through the book to get super interested. The problem is that I just don't like the lead character, Jack Morgan, that much. Maybe it's because he's a womanizer and commitment-phobe, I don't know, but I have a hard time warming up to him. I love other Patterson lead characters, especially Alex Cross and Michael Bennett.

There were several crimes going on at the same time in this book that Private was trying to solve, and true to form, they solved all of them.
Nicole
Apr 04, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
I admit it: I'm a huge James Patterson fan. I don't even care that he "writes" 10 books a year, or that most of the books are written by co-authors. I love his stories and I will continue to read them for as long as he continues to publish them. This book was the second book in the Jack Morgan series (which I didn't know when I checked out, but turns out to not have mattered very much), so it looks like I've gotten myself roped into yet another James Patterson series (I'm slowly working my way t ...more
Jinky
(2.5)
Another adventurous crime book from duo James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. Four cases to solve in this installment for this high power investigation firm. One of which involved Jack Morgan, head honcho of said firm. Accused of murder of his ex-girlfriend no doubt. But, no fear! He does head the world's top detective agency so he's putting his men to work. Will they be able to pull it off?

With the multiple cases to follow, this was an eventful book. There was enough twists here and there to
Aaron
Feb 15, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I tend to really like the books Patterson creates with Maxine Paetro, and this was no disappointment. This is the second book that deals with a team who works with Private, an investigative firm owned by Iraq War veteran Jack Morgan. Various members from the agencies focus on 4 different cases, including the troubles of a young movie star and his interest in youger girls, a series of murders in local hotels, the theft of a van full of prescription drugs from a Las Vegas mob boss, and charges ...more
Johnnie Gee
Mar 21, 2015 Johnnie Gee rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this read it picks up where the first book Private ended therefore be sure to read the books in order so you have a better understanding of the players and how they evolve with Private #1 Suspect.

Private is a high tech international investigative firm that hires specific people for their knowledge, experience, and drive. There are several plots running at the same time with the main one focused on the owner of Private Jack Morgan. However, the subplots are not ignored and as th
John
James Patterson's PRIVATE series is junk food for the brain. He takes very simple little detective stories and spices them up with a lot of fast cars, expensive gadgets, and loose women. Nothing in the book is very original, and none of the scenes resonate with any real dramatic power, but somehow it's all pretty entertaining nonetheless. I liked this entry quite a bit better than the first one, though the writing seemed just as artless as ever. It's a good book to pick up at the airport or ...more
Brenda Whitner
Feb 01, 2012 Brenda Whitner rated it really liked it
Shelves: patterson
Good book. Kept you going with four sub plots. Jack is set up for killing Coleen, his ex-girlfriend. He is the number one suspect in the murder and is arrested. A van full of drugs worth thirty million dollars disappears. This belongs to the mob boss Noccia. He wants Morgan to solve the crime. He offers six million if he does. Jack doesn’t want to take the case but is forced to by the mob boss. A young star is blamed for killing a girl. A chain of hotel murders needs to be solved. There was a ...more
Trish Jackson
Aug 11, 2015 Trish Jackson rated it really liked it
Owner and president of Private, Jack Morgan, is the cops' number 1 suspect in the murder of Jack's ex girlfriend, who is found in his bed, shot by his gun, and with his dna inside her.

The only problem is, Jack didn't do it and he wasn't home when it happened.

I found Patterson's writing style to be a little different in this novel, and not sure if I like it, but the story was excellent and kept me turning the pages.
Lynn Jenkins
Feb 25, 2012 Lynn Jenkins rated it really liked it
Good quick read by Patterson/Paetro. Jack Morgan returns home from a business trip to find his once suicidal ex girlfriend shot in his bed. And if that isn't enough a mafia boss wants his help locating his jacked stash of oxycontin street valued at 30 mil. Morgan is the only suspect but is innocent of Colleen's murder. Business goes on for private as Jack and his crew hunt down murders and stash jackers.
Sonia Cristina
Oct 27, 2014 Sonia Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: português, 2014
Muito no estilo do livro anterior, foi uma leitura mesmo muito boa, interessante e fluida. Aquele caso da ex de Jack aparecer morta na cama dele e todos os indícios apontarem para ele, deixou-me tão intrigada desde o início!

Adoro os personagens desta série! São todos tão peculiares e cativam a atenção desde a primeira vez que aparecem. Principalmente Jack Morgan, a sério, sinto-me fascinada por ele (apesar de, depois de pensar um bocado, reparar que é um mulherengo inveterado!).
Gretchen Schott
Mar 09, 2012 Gretchen Schott rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book. I don't care for the lead character Jack. I recognize this is a work of fiction but it is so far fetched, it is insulting. Can we say over saturated here? Perhaps a break is in order so quality characters and plot can find themselves back in the Patterson Paetro collaboration. I'm a fan but this story is just not worth the read.
Hol
Sep 27, 2011 Hol added it
For a couple hectic weeks I was working on this at the same time as another Patterson novel and a nonfiction book about the Madoffs, which meant that I spent a bizarre amount of time reading about fine dining, luxury real estate, and heinous crimes. But this book is the only one of the three that featured foie gras lollipops.
Suzanne
Oct 29, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Just as the first in the series, this one too is full of continuous mystery, twists and turns and keeps you guessing and gasping, it will keep you on your toes.

I love the way the story is always very fast paced. There is always something going on, and the story stays tight and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I will surely read the next installment in the series!
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 116 Mar 14, 2016 08:51AM
Does anyone have this 13 98 Aug 09, 2014 11:55AM
  • D.C. Dead (Stone Barrington, #22)
  • 15 Seconds
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Backfire (FBI Thriller, #16)
  • The Hunter (Wyatt Hunt, #3)
  • Guys Read: Boys Will Be Boys
  • Gun Games (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, #20)
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • Quinn (Eve Duncan, #13; Eve, Quinn and Bonnie #2)
  • Private L.A.: by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan -- Review
  • Shock Wave (Virgil Flowers, #5)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Victims (Alex Delaware, #27)
  • Down the Darkest Road (Oak Knoll, #3)
  • Red Mist (Kay Scarpetta, #19)
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Private (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Private (Private, #1)
  • Private Games (Private #3)
  • Private London (Private #4)
  • Private Berlin (Private #5)
  • Private L.A. (Private, #6)
  • Private: Oz (Private #7)
  • Private India (Private #8)
  • Private Vegas (Private, #9)
  • Private Paris (Private, #10)
  • Private Rio (Private, #11)