Start by marking “The Government Manual for New Wizards” as Want to Read:
The Government Manual for New Wizards

The Government Manual for New Wizards

The comedic duo behind The Government Manual for New Superheroes is back, and this time they've brought their magic wands and enchanted artifacts.

The Government Manual for New Wizards is a hilarious, mock-official handbook for wannabe witches and warlocks who need advice on recognizing the onset of wizardolescence, understanding the laws of magic (and the magic of laws), c
Published May 1st 2006 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Government Manual for New Wizards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Government Manual for New Wizards

Chandra
Jun 03, 2009 Chandra rated it really liked it
This book amazed me, and I think a lot of that amazement comes from me getting it as a birthday gift from someone who is not one of my closest friends. And I usually hate it when those people give me books. These people, whom I do not know very well, have usually seen me reading in the hallway or something, and go, "Oh, it's her birthday? Well, she likes reading, doesn't she? Here's a generic book!" And I end up with crap like Twilight like last year. *shudder*
Anyway, after I had read most other
Nicole
Apr 18, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I bought this book on a whim during the height of the Harry Potter phenomenon. It's hilarious and extremly easy to read. A must for anyone as encaptured by the world of Harry Potter as I am.
Rhiannon
Mar 14, 2011 Rhiannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: great
It's really funny :)
Ubalstecha
Mar 19, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it liked it
Another entry in this simply silly book series. This time a manual for new wizards that has advice on familiars, black magic, where to study and spells. Frequent references to Harry Potter in an oblique, non-libellous kind of way produce many of the smiles. And that's what this book will give you, smiles. There are some laughs, but mostly you will walk away with a warm fuzzy feeling. A great bathroom book!
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
As far as the humorous fake advice novels go this one is just alright. It's aimed at people who are familiar with most Wizard/Witch/Elf/etc. fantasy such as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. It did get a good bit of laughs from me but it wasn't anything absolutely hilarious. Overall it was an interesting and quick read.
Yougo
Apr 03, 2012 Yougo rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, humor
Whimsical satire of much of the Harry Potter and other such magically inclined books and movies. While I found it amusing in several locations, (watch out for 'He who must not be named Melvin'), I didin't find it overly comical and it didn't draw me in. I'm not sad to have read it, but not overly excited abou it either.
Arwen
Apr 06, 2010 Arwen rated it liked it
Shelves: three-star
Very silly send up of fantasy cliches. I liked their joke about The Church of the Water-Day Saints or Mermanism. "The Merman Church began within the great salt lakes of Utah, and rapidly spread throughout the oceans of the world."
Mar 07, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
While it isn't terrible, it is not nearly as clever as it should be. Much of the humor is predictable or repetitions of the same jokes.
Dennis
Mar 17, 2013 Dennis rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
It had some good parts in it.
Meredith Miyake
Fun and funny, though not as clever as it could have been, I think.
Child960801
I started this one and it seemed funny but I had to return it to the library before I could finish it. Some other time, I guess.
Wyldwulf
Wyldwulf rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Brad Waller
Brad Waller rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Stephany
Stephany rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Tanda
Tanda rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2009
♥☆~Lakshmi
♥☆~Lakshmi rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Browen
Browen rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2011
Fibrowitch
Fibrowitch rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2008
Coco
Coco rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Cait
Cait rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2009
Neko
Neko rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2013
Hailey
Hailey rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2008
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Jinx
Jinx rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Katie K
Katie K rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Matthew David Brozik is the Pushcart Prize-nominated author of Danger ...With a Hard G, Whimsy & Soda, and Taking Ivy Seriously and co-author of The Government Manual for New Superheroes, The Government Manual for New Wizards, and The Government Manual for New Pirates (Andrews McMeel). Matthew’s short, quirky fiction and humor pieces have appeared in/at The New Yorker... Grin & Tonic… McSw ...more
More about Matthew David Brozik...