Start by marking “The Government Manual for New Wizards” as Want to Read:
The Government Manual for New Wizards

The Government Manual for New Wizards

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The comedic duo behind The Government Manual for New Superheroes is back, and this time they've brought their magic wands and enchanted artifacts.

The Government Manual for New Wizards is a hilarious, mock-official handbook for wannabe witches and warlocks who need advice on recognizing the onset of wizardolescence, understanding the laws of magic (and the magic of laws), c
Published May 1st 2006 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Government Manual for New Wizards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Government Manual for New Wizards

Chandra
This book amazed me, and I think a lot of that amazement comes from me getting it as a birthday gift from someone who is not one of my closest friends. And I usually hate it when those people give me books. These people, whom I do not know very well, have usually seen me reading in the hallway or something, and go, "Oh, it's her birthday? Well, she likes reading, doesn't she? Here's a generic book!" And I end up with crap like Twilight like last year. *shudder*
Anyway, after I had read most other
Nicole
Oct 26, 2009 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I bought this book on a whim during the height of the Harry Potter phenomenon. It's hilarious and extremly easy to read. A must for anyone as encaptured by the world of Harry Potter as I am.
Rhiannon
It's really funny :)
Ubalstecha
Another entry in this simply silly book series. This time a manual for new wizards that has advice on familiars, black magic, where to study and spells. Frequent references to Harry Potter in an oblique, non-libellous kind of way produce many of the smiles. And that's what this book will give you, smiles. There are some laughs, but mostly you will walk away with a warm fuzzy feeling. A great bathroom book!
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
As far as the humorous fake advice novels go this one is just alright. It's aimed at people who are familiar with most Wizard/Witch/Elf/etc. fantasy such as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. It did get a good bit of laughs from me but it wasn't anything absolutely hilarious. Overall it was an interesting and quick read.
Yougo
Whimsical satire of much of the Harry Potter and other such magically inclined books and movies. While I found it amusing in several locations, (watch out for 'He who must not be named Melvin'), I didin't find it overly comical and it didn't draw me in. I'm not sad to have read it, but not overly excited abou it either.
Arwen
Very silly send up of fantasy cliches. I liked their joke about The Church of the Water-Day Saints or Mermanism. "The Merman Church began within the great salt lakes of Utah, and rapidly spread throughout the oceans of the world."
While it isn't terrible, it is not nearly as clever as it should be. Much of the humor is predictable or repetitions of the same jokes.
Child960801
I started this one and it seemed funny but I had to return it to the library before I could finish it. Some other time, I guess.
Alice
I enjoyed it, but it's not as clever as I thought it would/could be
Dennis
It had some good parts in it.
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Air
Air added it
Jun 16, 2014
Nicholas Czaplicki
Nicholas Czaplicki marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
May 17, 2014
Katie Jones
Katie Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Ember
Ember added it
Mar 02, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Matthew David Brozik is the Pushcart Prize-nominated author of Whimsy & Soda and Taking Ivy Seriously and co-author of The Government Manual for New Superheroes, The Government Manual for New Wizards, and The Government Manual for New Pirates (Andrews McMeel). Matthew’s short, quirky fiction and humor pieces have appeared, appear now, or will appear ere long in/at Grin & Tonic… McSweeney’s ...more
More about Matthew David Brozik...
The Government Manual for New Superheroes The Government  Manual for New Pirates Whimsy & Soda Taking Ivy Seriously Farewell, My Babboo