Start by marking “We are the Monsters” as Want to Read:
We are the Monsters

We are the Monsters

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  190 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
While cruising a dark country road late one Saturday night, five high school friends accidentally kill an old drunk. Hiding the body is easy. Lying about what happened is even easier. But lies have a way of breeding Monsters in Springdale, Kansas, and the Monsters have come to play.

"Here’s the truth about growing up in a small town: you tell lies to survive.

I worked at a g
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about We are the Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We are the Monsters

Geoffrey
Jul 07, 2011 Geoffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Aaron Polson's We Are The Monsters is a tightly-wound story with beautiful prose and a swirling, creepy plot that blurs the lines between reality and imagination.

On one hand, We Are the Monsters' characters and setting come off as snapshots of any American small town one could think of. Their voices are real, and most of the set pieces (The Shack, The Pond, The Bridge) become characters in and of themselves. Everything about Springdale and its population seems authentic. Their interactions, thei
Jamie
Jun 08, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Imagine witnessing a horrible death. Now, imagine being a party to that death in a small town where everyone knows everyone else and no secret is safe. Seventeen year old Aaron has experienced his share of tragedy in his life and
while attending high school and working part-time as a grocery bagger he tries to go on with his life while watching things fall apart around him as a consequence of one night of joy riding.

That brief synopses does not do justice to this beautifully written tale. While
Shawn Davis
Dec 30, 2011 Shawn Davis rated it really liked it
If Footloose featured ghosts and mental illness instead of dancing, it would be We are the Monsters.

People die in a small town. They kill each other and themselves. They don't remember the events as they happened. And everyone seems to think it is normal.

Throughout the story there is a vague tinge, sometimes more overt than others, of the supernatural. Are the ghosts actual ghosts, or a figment of a disturbed mind struggling to bury memories of murder? Eventually the question is answered, althou
Char
Jan 16, 2012 Char rated it it was ok
I picked this book up over the summer when it was free.
Since I am a huge fan of the Introducing Penny Dreadnought, Insidious Indoctrination Engine of the Abominable Gentlemen issues and since Aaron Polson is one of the writers featured within, I figured this novel would be a shoe in to my favorites pile. I was disappointed.
The story itself would've been ok, if it were not for the misspellings, the missing words and some serious confusion trying to figure out who owned the Olds Cutlass. At firs
Lyndon
Aug 13, 2011 Lyndon rated it really liked it
We Are the Monsters by Aaron Polson is an intelligent - and disturbing - psychological horror that captures the 90s high school zeitgeist of Small Town, USA. Set in Kansas and firmly grounded in the relational reality of dysfunctional families and strained friendships, the novel also explores the fantastical boundaries of the mind - including the lies, self-deceptions, and irrational fears we have all experienced at one time or another. This is a mature read but not explicitly graphic or gratuit ...more
Tom
Apr 15, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok
Entertaining, quick read. Overall, too dark a story for my tastes. Even horror has to have some beam of light or shot at redemption hidden in there for me to appreciate it. This didn't. Kids killing a dude for no good reason, dealing with the guilt of it afterwards, with a small town backdrop. As a small-towner myself, at least that part had some interest. When the story poses teen suicide as a way out though... no thanks.
Bob Parks
Sep 13, 2011 Bob Parks rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another freebie on Amazon but this one I might have actually paid for. Good storytelling. Good use of words. I was drawn in and it's a quick read. It has a Stephen King feel, but not in a bad way or in a way that he is deliberately trying to copy his style. I may read other things by him. Even if they aren't free.
JoAnn Jordan
Jun 21, 2011 JoAnn Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good novella. The only odd thing is some confusion of character names in early chapters. The story is well told and keeps the interest throughout. It works as a tale of horror. The story-line is unique and intriguing.

I recommend this novella to those looking for a quick read with horrific overtones.
Alyn
Sep 15, 2011 Alyn rated it it was ok
It was okay. I saw all these great reviews and decided to give it a try. It is not that bad for a free book. The writing is good...the storyline is okay only, the ending was somewhat confusing and disappointing. It required too much thinking on my part so I just quickly skimmed the last few pages just to be done with the book.
Carmen Marie
Glad I did not pass this one up. Nothing more wonderful than a free book that was really good. This book is dark and thought provoking...well written display of how guilt can completely over take a person's thoughts creating a monster. You should download this book if you havent aleady!
~Charmer~the 1-click addict
Aug 16, 2011 ~Charmer~the 1-click addict rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, depressin
I didn't care 1 bit 4 this book. It was depressin' and hard to follow at times. It was filled w/ way to much death for me, and the whole River/Pond thing or monster, really didn't make any since 2 me.
Kathy
A YA book about a group of teenagers who do something they live to regret.The story rolls along at a steady pace with a little suspense here and there, but It was just okay for me. I'm sure someone who likes this type of book would love it.
Erin
Jan 12, 2012 Erin rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-free
I feel bad rating books when I haven't read the entire thing but I just couldn't make it all the way through. I've read textbooks that were more interesting.

I'm glad I got this book free because I would have been mad if I'd payed even $.99 for it.
Terigschwind
Sep 24, 2011 Terigschwind rated it really liked it
(free Kindle book) Good book about the dark side of living in a small town (although this is a particularly dark small town) - the ending surprised me, which doesn't really happen often.
Jack
Sep 24, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it
Creepy ghost story about a creepy small town in Kansas. Thought it was a good story, told by the narrator from his past. Good read!
Nichole
Jul 24, 2011 Nichole rated it liked it
After they first few chapters and the Ken/Dan confusion, good reading. Reminded me like It by Stephen King.
Staci
Jul 13, 2011 Staci rated it really liked it
Great book! The author is from Lawrence and the story takes place in KS. This book is creepy, but totally sucks you in!
Bradley Convissar
Oct 19, 2011 Bradley Convissar rated it really liked it
Decent read, the end was a little confusing and not everything was wrapped up as much as I would like for a book where is obviouslly not going to be a sequel. Very well written, though
Rhonda Harris
Jul 16, 2011 Rhonda Harris rated it did not like it
I truly have no words for this book. I finished it, I didn't enjoy it.....thank goodness it's over. However if you enjoy books like King's IT then you'd probably enjoy this.
Christine Ferrari
Jun 02, 2013 Christine Ferrari rated it really liked it
Got this book when it was free. Didn't expect much. Boy was I surprised!!!.Well written story about the haunting power of guilt
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Elaine Maynard
Elaine Maynard rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Charlene
Charlene rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2011
Frank Miller
Frank Miller rated it did not like it
May 26, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Kalina Caudillo
Kalina Caudillo rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Danile
Danile rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2011
Molly Lembke gehler
Molly Lembke gehler rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Nicole Sheaffer
Nicole Sheaffer rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Mike Hogan
Mike Hogan rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • The Second Ward
  • Jerome and the Seraph
  • Spiderwork (Apocalypto, #2)
  • Ashes
  • Staked (Time Brokers, #1)
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Over The Bridge
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • The Hunger
  • In the House of Five Dragons
  • The Little Known
  • What the Dead Fear
  • A Cookbook by Ted
  • Ancient Awakening
  • Virtual Strangers (Virtual Detective, #1)
  • Snodgrass Vacation
  • The Silver Ring
2095446
Aaron Polson currently lives in Lawrence, Kansas with his wife, two sons, and a tattooed rabbit. His stories have featured magic goldfish, monstrous beetles, and a book of lullabies for baby vampires. His work has seen print in Shock Totem, Blood Lite II, and Monstrous with several new stories forthcoming in Shimmer, Space and Time, and other publications. The Saints are Dead, a collection of ...more
More about Aaron Polson...

“Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these God will bring thee into judgment.” - Ecclesiastes 11:9” 0 likes