Start by marking “The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery #11)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery #11)

The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery #11)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  578 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Indulge in another Chocoholic mystery in the national bestselling series.

Lee McKinney Woodyard discovers a dusty trophy inside TenHuis Chocolade that belongs to her aunt Nettie and her old high school singing group, the Pier-O-Ettes. It's a trophy that brings back terrible memories of an unsolved murder years ago.

Before Lee takes aim at the past, someone is murdered in the...more
Published October 4th 2011 by NAL Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Castle Clue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Castle Clue

Fred
This is the 11th book in the Chocoholic Mystery series.

I really enjoy reading about Lee, and her friends in Warner Pier, MI. Lee manages the day to day activities of the TenHuis Chocolade store in Warner Pier, a store owned by her aunt. Lee is in the process of cleaning a garage out that TenHuis has been using for storage. In doing so she finds a trophy that the Pier-O-Ettes had won at the local dance hall some 45 years ealier. It so happens that the six ladies who made up the group are all in t...more
LORI CASWELL
This series features Lee McKinney Woodyard, her Aunt Nettie, and TenHuis Chocolade. Lee manages the store for Nettie.

In this edition Lee finds an old trophy while cleaning out their storage garage. She can’t wait to share it with her Aunt. She found it at the perfect time since Nettie was hosting a reunion for her old high school singing group, The Pier-O-Ettes, the group that won the trophy.

But the trophy didn’t get the reaction Lee had expected. It seems to have brought back some terrible memo...more
Ann
This was a borderline 3 rating. Lee Woodward is the owner of TenHuis Chocolade in Warner Pier, Michigan. She is cleaning out some old file cabinets and finds a box of photographs and a trophy from the Castle Ballroom. Her aunt Nettie is hosting a reunion of her former schoolmates with whom she performed as the Pir-O-Ettes, a local singing group. Lee takes the box to show the women but their reaction is confusing. One of the women screams and runs when she sees the trophy and Lee soon learns that...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Lee and Joe Woodyard get tangled up in the past when Aunt Nettie's singing group from the old days reunites for the High School reunions. Lee had not known about Aunt Nettie even singing, let alone, at a popular ballroom. The Castle Ballroom shut shortly after the owner committed suicide, or did he?

The Ladies gather but so do unexpected guests. Who summoned them and why? The past rises up and becomes a current murder mystery.

Aunt Nettie asks Lee to snoop and find the killer, unknowingly, what A...more
Staci
I don't know about you, but for me a good cozy is such a great comfort read. This was my first introduction to JoAnna Carl's writing but it certainly will not be my last. I loved the whole idea of running a chocolate shop (I adore chocolate) and the added plus for me was having the story take place in Michigan. The characters weren't over the top and believe it or not Lee actually did stop herself from recklessly going into danger! Gasp! I know....sometimes cozies make us suspend belief but this...more
Nancy F
Lee's 60-ish Aunt Nettie is hosting a reunion of her high school singing group - the Pier-o-ettes. Forty years ago, they had worked at the Castle Ballroom, which was closed down when the owner died of a gunshot wound. During the reunion weekend, the owner's widow was shot. The Pier-o-ettes and Lee are reluctantly involved in the investigation of both murders. This was a fun read with the usual JoAnna Carl twist at the end.
Mark Baker
Lee Woodyard finds herself in another case when a reunion of her aunt's old high school singing group leads to a murder. As always, I love these characters and the plot moves forward very quickly. The definition of a light but fun mystery

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Lorraine
May 29, 2014 Lorraine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves chocolate.
A quick read. I found the chocolate trivia fun. As this is the 1st book in this series that I have read, I do not know the othe trivia in the other books. In this book the chocolate trivia is about companies that make chocolate. I was pleased to discover that The Chickasaw Nation of South Central Oklahoma owns a chocolate company called Bedre. As one who has a huge interest in Native Americans, I am also a member of the National Museum of American Indians at the Smithsoian in Washington, DC. Bac...more
Jakayla Bryant
This book was a great mystery. It always kept you on the edge and was super intriguing. When I was reading it I couldn't put it down. I also liked it because you weren't having nightmares at night... i get scared super easily! This book also had an underlying love story and it was really cute. It has many other good stories that follow up on it. It's almost like a Nancy Drew kind of book. I rate this book 4/5 stars because it sometimes was a little to slow, i just really wanted to know what happ...more
Lisa Neal
This is a fun, silly read!
Luffy Monkey D.
Another case solved by yours truly although I didn't understand some of the plot points at the end as i was impatient and reading fast. The motive and modus operandi of the murderer left a lot to be desired. My mind thronged with ideas about how good exactly this book was. It was a book that set up palpitating points rather laboriously, and not too successfully. It did succeed as a cozy mystery, and the reading experience was okay. I'm thinking this book deserves more than one star but then I r...more
Joanne
I recently learned this type of book is called a cozy mystery. Reminds me of a Nancy Drew for adults and they talk about chocolate!

Lee gets involved with her Aunt Nettie and her high school friends called the Pier-O-Ettes. About 40 years have passed since the girls have been together and there is a little mystery surrounding something that happened many years ago. Middle aged women are not forthcoming about that fateful night when they were teens. It's an easy read filled with the innonence of...more
Susan
When Lee's beloved Aunt Nettie agrees to host a reunion of the singing group she appeared in, as part of a larger high school reunion, the Pier-o-Ettes gather, with trouble riding shotgun. The group won a trophy for best amateur group at Warner Pier's dance hall, the Castle, the night before the owner was found dead. His widow has long insisted that his death was not suicide, as the insurance company stated. Now she's mysteriously dead, too, and the six women who sang together and worked at the...more
Nancy
Another great book in the series. Quite entertaining. Lots of action, quick read!!

Indulge in another Chocoholic mystery in the national bestselling series.

Before Lee takes aim at the past, someone is murdered in the here and now. Lee needs to keep her eyes o...more
Apparently I got behind in the series while waiting for my library to finally get a copy of this one, and now there are 3 more I need to read.

While I enjoyed the mystery surrounding Aunt Nettie and her longtime gal pals, I felt like it wrapped up rather suddenly after mostly going nowhere. It was definitely a clever tale, but with less action than some of the other books.

And has Lee always said "ye gods!" quite so much? Even her slips of the tongue were more annoying than cute. She just wasn't...more
Trudy
The Chocolate Castle Clue is a well-written mystery set in small town Michigan (on the shore of Lake Michigan). This is a quick, entertaining read, interspersed with chocolate factoids...what could be better?

The Chocolate Castle Clue is the eleventh book in Carl's Chocoholic Mystery Series, so I'm sure I have encountered some "spoilers" for the earlier books in the series (which I do plan to read), but thankfully, Carl does not really dwell on details of the previous mysteries in the course of t...more
Nancy H
Another good entry in the Chocoholic Mystery series.
Cheryl
This was a tough one to figure out, therefore I didn't get it until it was explained. Still loving all of the chocolate trivia.
Carla
Chocoholic Mysteries are always a fun read.
Sandybear76
Aunt Nettie's singing group from high school is gathering for a reunion. Lee and the chocolate shop have made special chocolates for the big event. As the old friends chatted and relive the fun times, an old bitter woman is killed on her way to Lee and Joe's house with news of her husband's death over 40 years ago.
Irene
Saw this in the new books section of the library and it looked cute, so I thought I'd try it out. I didn't know this was a series, don't even know if they have the same main character or if they are stand-alone. Anyway, the story was indeed cute, no high-standing literature, but entertaining enough. Very quick read.
Deb
How can anyone resist a book with Chocolate in the title? I picked the book up off the new book shelf at the library. I enjoyed the book and I will probably read more in the series. It wasn't a book I would rush out to recommend to anyone. But it was a fast read and sometimes that is exactly what I need.
Lollyletsgo
This was much better than the previous one- this one gave us ALL of the potential suspects toward the beginning --- a locked room mystery, if you will. I have always liked those best, and the motives floated from benign hatred to venomous rage. Just some light reading for the summertime.
Cassie
This was a fun, easy, summer mystery with one of my favorite things. Chocolate. I read this for my local library's summer reading program but now I want to start with number one in the series. I can't wait to see what other predicaments Lee gets herself into.
Pam
This book was the first of this series and the first by this author for me, and despite loving mysteries I just couldn't get involved in the plot or characters. After 100 pages I decided I didn't care what happened to the characters and finally gave up.
Diana
Usually I really enjoy this series, but this time I had a hard time getting into the story. Though I did finish it, it took me awhile. I have the next one in the series to read as well, hopefully it's better than this one.
Underwood Family
This series is great light reading. They move along briskly, never get graphic, and walk the line between dropping too many hints and not giving enough clues. My go to series when I need a light, satisfying read.
Christa
This is a good cozy series, especially for chocoholics! The descriptions of the chocolates are mouthwatering and the chocolate trivia interesting. I like the characters and it's easy to become part of their lives.
Michelle
While this wasn't my favorite Chocoholic Mystery, it did give us some history of the town and Aunt Nettie. The current mystery was tied with an over 40 year old mystery that is brought up due to a class reunion.
Phyllis
I like this series. However, I felt that this latest entry is not as good as most of it's sister volumns. Still I think that it was enjoyable enough to garner a recommendation as a pleasant read. Recommended!
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery #7)
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • All the Pretty Hearses (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #26)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • The Cat Sitter's Pajamas (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #7)
  • One Book in the Grave (A Bibliophile Mystery, #5)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as...more
More about JoAnna Carl...
The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1) The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery #2) The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery #3) The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery #5) The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery #8)