Start by marking “Captains Outrageous: A Hap and Leonard Novel (6) (Vintage)” as Want to Read:
Captains Outrageous: A Hap and Leonard Novel (6) (Vintage)

Captains Outrageous: A Hap and Leonard Novel (6) (Hap and Leonard #6)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,253 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews

Hap Collins and Leonard Pine find mucho trouble, this time in Mexico, when they come face to face with a nudist mobster, his seven-foot strong-arm, a octogenarian knife-touting fisherman, and, somehow, an armadillo.

When Hap Collins saves the life of his employer's daughter, he is rewarded with a Caribbean Cruise, and he convinces his best friend Leonard Pine to come along.

Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Captains Outrageous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captains Outrageous

Kemper
Hap and Leonard go south of the border, and there hasn’t been a trip to Mexico end this badly since The Wild Bunch. As Warren Zevon once sang, they'll need lawyers, guns, and money to get out of this fix.

The guys have new careers as security guards at the local chicken processing plant. As Hap is leaving work one night he breaks up an attack on a young woman by a drug crazed maniac. (The fight scene is Lansdale at his best. I didn’t know whether to laugh or scream as I read it.) Usually good dee
Dan Schwent
When Hap comes into some money, he and Leonard go on a vacation and wind up stranded in Mexico. True to form, they end up helping a fisherman and his daughter with a problem they're having...

This is my third read of Captains Outrageous but the first time in over a decade so it was like a completely new book.

Captains Outrageous sees Hap and Leonard going up against a Mexican loanshark and his goons. It also brings the crew back together with Jim Bob Luke, Marvin Hanson, Charlie Blank, and Veil. U
Bark's Book Nonsense
Jul 05, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
I’ve been listening to these Hap and Leonard books on audio and it’s been quite the experience. If you’ve never listened to the audio versions I recommend buying or borrowing copies. Narrator Phil Gigante does a terrific job of bringing these guys to life in all of their over the top glory and has a friendly, humorous, comforting southern drenched voice that I could listen to all the live long day. Captains Outrageous is book #6 in the series. I recommend reading them in order because this book ...more
Richard Vialet
*3.5 Stars*
Hap and Leonard have been in some pretty bad situations over the years but nothing can prepare them for the open seas. After Hap gets a sizeable reward for saving a teenage girl from a tweaked out murderer, he decides to go on a cruise ship vacation with Leonard. But rather than the restful trip they had planned, they end up on the cruise from hell and find themselves balls-deep in trouble as usual, when their ship leaves them stranded in a Mexican beachtown.

One weird thing that stoo
Michael Fierce
 description

A lot of suspense, a shi†-load of fun, a slew of horribly good one-liners, unending thrills, enough action for even the most impatient of readers, beatings galore, tons of shi†-talk and a worthy addition to the series.

Though it might be just a butt-hair short of being as outstanding as the 5 previous books, no one and I mean no one writes like Lansdale or as good as Lansdale and why I give this a 5 star rating.

This one's got Hap & Leonard heading to Mexico on vacation after Hap receives a l
Jesse
Oct 23, 2013 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of crime fiction and awesomeness!
Recommended to Jesse by: Noah Soudrette
Holy crap! I bought this book on Sunday night and finished it in about 3 days. This I think is quite possibly my favorite Hap and Leonard novel to date. It has EVERYTHING, romance, rescuing of young ladies from drug crazed psychopaths, a cruise to Mexico, women of loose morals, machetes, giant prison rats, even vengeance. This series is about two great guys from East Texas who are tough as nails and attract trouble like a magnet attracts iron shavings. This one is no exception. We see the death ...more
Lee Thompson
Nov 07, 2013 Lee Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this was really, really slow for me, but the second half roared. I love Hap and Leonard. Lansdale is a hell of a writer.
Thomas
May 15, 2015 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished Rumble Tumble, Lansdale's fifth entry into the Hap & Leonard series, earlier this year as part of my Unfinished Series project. Given that the books weren't really part of a series as the rest of the books (they really just feature recurring characters, and aren't books that comprise a single story), I didn't see the need to track down the rest of the books in that series to finish them out. I figured I would get to them as I had the time, but then I was at the library picking up ...more
Cristina
Con questo libro ho terminato il mio weekend lansdaliano. Dopo le correzioni sentivo il bisogno di una lettura rilassante, gioiosa, un po' trash, piena di scazzottate e lieti fine. Mi c'è voluto un po' a capire che era di Hap e Leo che avevo bisogno, ma quando ci sono arrivata e mi sono sparata in rapida successione "una stagione selvaggia" e "capitani oltraggiosi" mi sono sentita rianimata. A volte si legge per scombussolare l'anima, altre per sciogliere quei nodi di tensione che l'hanno resa i ...more
Marvin
Nov 24, 2009 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After six books, Hap and Leonard are starting to wear a little thin. This doesn't mean I didn't like Captain Outrageous. I am still enthralled with the East Texan odd couple and Lansdale's visceral style continues to make me laugh and horrify me at the same time. But this time it reads a bit formulaic. I think the main problem is that Lansdale himself may be tiring a bit with this series. After this book, he took a eight years hiatus from the series only to return to write a last one (Vanilla Ri ...more
Domenico Cinalli
Arrivati al sesto volume delle loro storie, anche Hap&Leonard cominciano ad accusare un po' di stanchezza: il soggetto non è dei più scoppiettanti, la sceneggiatura si regge col mestiere ma pare a volte dover spingere un po' troppo il pedale (sul becero) per tenere su tutta la baracca. La lettura è sempre di quelle piacevoli, ma la serializzazione riscuote pegno.
Hans
Dec 05, 2014 Hans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i try to keep my reviews short and not spoil anything. that said it is hard to discuss this one without ruining some of the wonderful surprises. briefly Hap and Leonard go on a vacation, when something happens then something worse happens, they are stranded in mexico, where some even more terrible things happen, and some people die horribly, perhaps the goriest book in the series, with a satisfying conclusion. we are in B Traven territory here folks, and Lansdale even references THE TREASURE OF ...more
Jürgen Zeller
Feb 22, 2015 Jürgen Zeller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Machos und Macheten" ist ein sehr amüsantes Portrait über zwei Männer die auf den ersten Blick sehr unterschiedlich sind aber sich bei genauerem hinsehen so perfekt ergänzen wie die sprichwörtliche Faust aufs Auge. Im Mittelpunkt des Romans stehen zwei Anti-Helden die sich nicht im geringsten um gesellschaftliche Konventionen kümmern sondern ihr Leben so Leben wie es gerade auf der Fussmatte vor der heimischen Haustür steht, klingelt und um Einlass bittet. Sie haben weder Ziele noch Pläne sonde ...more
elie88
Aug 15, 2013 elie88 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a crazy, and dark book. I really enjoyed it. These guys really have a talent for trouble. The fight passages are nicely written too. I also like the fact that they talk a lot about various subjects, like religion, relationships, sex...
Nomadman
Feb 26, 2016 Nomadman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A smooth read as always. This one isn't quite as good as the best the series has to offer due to some lax plotting and a slow middle section, but the second half is classic Hap and Leonard.
Trevor
Dec 30, 2014 Trevor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In love this author and the Hap and Leonard series but this one was the weakest one so far. Even if they've jumped the shark I will continue reading about their adventures.
Charles
Jul 31, 2008 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A Hap and Leonard book, but not one of my favorites in the series. Still it's pretty good.
Buffone
Texan pulp writer Joe Lansdale in 2001 authored his sixth in the ‘Hap Collins/ Leonard Pine’ series of picaresque novels about an interracial pair of bosom-buddies in the Texan boondocks.
On the occasion of this mis-adventure, setting out with a cruise ship, Collins and Pine get lost in Mexico.
The plot is by far not as elaborated as in the other novels of this series, seems to have been welded together in a hurry, but still working perfectly as a platform for the entertaining dialogues and divert
Michael
Oct 03, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one a bit more than the last one, even with the slow start.
Maddy
Mar 12, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2003-reads
Hap Collins and Leonard Pine aren't the kind of guys who ever have good luck. They've been best friends and sidekicks for a long time, and they are usually involved in some sort of situation that isn't going to end well. As the book opens, Hap and Leonard have a job guarding a poultry processing plant. You wouldn't think that would be fraught with danger, but Hap hears screaming in the nearby woods and interrupts a maniac who is brutally assaulting a young woman. For once, there is a positive ou ...more
Mark
The sixth book in the "Hap and Leonard" series is the first one where I felt the darkness overcame the mirth and silliness. While bad things happened in the prior entry, RUMBLE TUMBLE, there was a good deal of comic mayhem to balance out the mood. There's much less hilarity in CAPTAINS OUTRAGEOUS, and the bad things are really bad, and not for the squeamish. (Lansdale's detailed descriptions of the rough treatment of several of the female characters even gave me pause--I won't use the word "miso ...more
Tony
CAPTAINS OUTRAGEOUS. (2001). Joe R. Lansdale. ***.
This catches me up with the Hap and Leonard series of thrillers from this author. I wasn’t paying attention, and Lansdale slipped a couple of his novels by me. Again, this episode features the antics and adventures of our fearless duo, Hap Collins and Leonard Pine. As the story opens, we find our two heros working as security guards at a chicken processing plant. It’s the end of the shift, and they are leaving for the day. Hap had to hang back t
Randy
Mar 13, 2010 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hap is leaving his job as security guard at the chicken processing plant when he hears a weak call for help. He ends up rescuing a young girl being raped and savagely beaten by a drugged out freak. The young woman happens to be the daughter of the owner of the plant and he's so grateful, he pushes $100,000 on Hap and insists he use it for a vacation.

Reluctant at first, he finally agrees and Leonard and he take a cruise. When they run into a snooty waiter on the ship, Leonard is his usual charmi
Rick
Apr 03, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a book begins with a security guard at a chicken processing plant rescuing his employer's daughter from a near fatal beating, takes you to the world's worst cruise ship and ends up dealing with the Mexican mafia, you can be sure of only one thing: Must be another installment in Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series.
Hap Collins is rewarded for saving the young girl's life, and he and his best friend Leonard (foolishly)decide to take a cruise. Hap & Leonard aren't exactly the type to enjo
Chadwick Saxelid
Nov 23, 2014 Chadwick Saxelid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A outdated review from my blog, written and published October 1, 2006. (There have been quite a few Hap and Leonard adventures following this book's original publication.)

Hap Collins isn't doing too hot. His home has been destroyed by a tornado, his lady love is giving him the cold shoulder, and he's working the dead end job of Security Guard at a local chicken plant. But all that changes when he stumbles across a horrible assault in the parking lot and manages to save a young woman's life.

Given
Ubik 2.0
Apr 30, 2013 Ubik 2.0 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-e-book
Hap & Leo #6

Sesto episodio della serie, Capitani Oltraggiosi ha i pregi (tanti) e i difetti (pochi) degli episodi precedenti: i famosi dialoghi cazzeggianti in salsa Tarantino, la spregiudicatezza verbale e i comportamenti “uncorrect” e sopra le righe, le pause dell’azione alternate a scoppi di violenza talmente eccessiva e oltre i limiti da richiamare un certo tipo di splatter comics.

Qui, a dire il vero, dopo un’inizio promettente e originale che porta i protagonisti a un’improbabile crocie
Thee_ron_clark
Feb 25, 2010 Thee_ron_clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, comedy
At a glance, I saw that others who have read this book are growing tired of Lansdale's Hap and Leonard books. This is only the second one that I read and it was enough to have me get online the night I finished it and order several more Lansdale novels. Of course, The Bottoms novel and The Master's of Horror episode; Incident On and Off a Mountain Road were big influences in this decision as well.

Hap and Leonard are a couple rough and tumble guys with unique personalities who seem to find troubl
Judi
Oct 15, 2012 Judi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2001
Both Hap Collins and Leonard Pine are working as guards at a local poultry plant. By chance, after Leonard drops him off at his car, Hap hears a weak voice say help me and then "a whimper, as if a puppy were dying under an automobile tire." When he turns on his truck lights, he's horrified. A man is stomping on a young girl beyond the chain link fence that surrounds the parking lot. Hap has a gun, but isn't willing to pull it out "I'd done that thing already and was wearing scars from that, fill ...more
Jon
Mar 22, 2016 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hap and Leonard journey to Mexico and, as they say, mayhem ensues. The great thing about this series is the banter between Hap and Leonard and the supporting characters, some of which could have a book of their own. Would love to see the new Hap and Leonard series on the Sundance channel but may have to wait until it comes on DVD.
John Grazide
Jul 26, 2015 John Grazide rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure with Hap and Leonard. Started saving a lady getting assaulted in the back lot of the chicken plant, then on a terrible cruise and off to settle a score in Mexico. I only wish they would have encountered the host that gave them bogus information about the ship launch time, that would have been gravy.
  • Gun Monkeys
  • Every Shallow Cut
  • Ghost Dance
  • Il Premio
  • Romanzo criminale
  • Hardcase (Joe Kurtz, #1)
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...

Hap and Leonard (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Savage Season (Hap and Leonard, #1)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • Bad Chili (Hap and Leonard, #4)
  • Rumble Tumble (Hap and Leonard, #5)
  • Vanilla Ride (Hap and Leonard, #7)
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Hyenas (Hap and Leonard, #9)
  • Dead Aim (Hap and Leonard, #10)
  • Honky Tonk Samurai (Hap and Leonard, #11)

“-Potresti avere ragione. E' difficile amare qualcuno nel modo giusto.
-Se vuoi sapere quant'è difficile, prova ad immaginare cosa vuol dire essere omosessuale. John ed io non possiamo nemmeno tenerci la mano, senza che la gente vada fuori di testa. Tu puoi tenere la mano di una donna per strada e, nessuno lo trova strano. Ci provo io con John e, la gente si ferma e ci fissa.
-Però ti ho visto farlo, in pubblico.
-Certo, non ho detto che non ci provo, ma non è piacevole. Quando la gente non accetta il tuo amore, quello stesso amore è ridicolizzato. Che male gli fa, vorrei sapere?”
1 likes