Start by marking “One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead” as Want to Read:
One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead

One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In this unforgettable debut novel Clare Dudman has imaginatively re-created the life of the German scientist Alfred Wegener, whose theory of continental drift-derided by his contemporaries-would eventually revolutionize our perception of the world. Wegener's irresistible urge to discover the unknown takes him from the horrors of World War I's trenches to several lengthy ex ...more
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead

sisterimapoet
If Khaled Hosseini managed to beguile me into thinking 'The Kite Runner' was fact Dudman did the reverse, I had to often pinch myself to remember that Wegener really lived.

I've hoarded this book for a while and it didn't disappoint. Cold adventures are a favourite of mine and in Dudman's hands they can only be brilliant, and they were.

A beautiful tone throughout - I really heard Wegeners voice. I saw through his eyes. I fell for his passions.

Clearly a thoroughly well researched novel, but the a
Gregg
I found this book through a reference on Bookslut, which was only commenting on how cool the title was. It took me a week and a half to get into the story—I was always starting to read it late at night and falling asleep and forgetting what I had read. Once I had crossed that hurdle (on a road trip), I found it an engrossing story.

It is a fictionalized account of the life of Alfred Wegener, a German scrientist and explorer. It tracks his entire life, focusing primarily on the time he spent on th
Mairi
For the first few pages of this historical fiction/biographical novel, Dudman describes ice and cold. Just ice and cold. And it is so suffocatingly beautiful that I had to take a moment to decide whether I should keep reading now or save this for my New Year’s book. This is the sort of book I want to read out loud, even just to myself, so I can hear it as well as see it. Her words make me want to engage more senses. In it, she tells the story of Alfred Wegener, the man to first coherently theori ...more
John

I'm usually not a great fan of US retitlings of UK books (think back to Christopher Priest's novel set in Hardy country, A Dream of Wessex, which in the US became The Perfect Lover), but in this instance I gave a cheer when I discovered on the copyright page that the original UK title had been Wegener's Jigsaw. Hellish emotive, wot?

To say this is a biographical novel about Alfred Wegener, the meteorologist/glaciologist who, in the early part of the 20th century, was the first to formulate and c
Jillian
"Let me tell you about ice..."

I don't read a great deal of historical fiction (I like both history and fiction, I just generally prefer them separated) but I was eventually drawn into this one and enjoyed the majority of it. Wegener was a fascinating and underappreciated scientist, always searching, striving, and theorizing with a boundless curiosity that sent him wandering into uninhabited lands and unfamiliar fields (often to the irritation of the established experts in those fields). Clare Du
Jessica
A good book, a fictionalized account of Alfed Wegener's life. For the non-geologists, Wegener was the one who first popularized the theory of continental drift, which revolutionized the science. He faced a lot of scorn at the time and didn't really get much recognition until after his death. This story was good, much about his explorations in the arctic, written to make you feel very very cold. While there were some excellent passages, as a whole the author had to stick to Wegener's actual biogr ...more
Sundry
Jun 25, 2008 Sundry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sundry by: Paul Larsen
I'm finding that I very much enjoy this genre of fiction written about real life people.

I liked a lot about this book. The descriptions of Wegener's early life is well done. Dudman's descriptions of the ice on his explorations of Greenland are evocative.

But I did find myself kind of slogging toward the end. I would have liked a little more psychological insight into the character. And I often found myself wishing Dudman would set a wider field of vision for the descriptions. The close up views o
Ronald Wise
A novel about German scientist Alfred Wegener's research in the ice to support his theory of continental drift. Based on Wegener's diary and notes, it is written in a first person voice as though an autobiography. There is a stark contrast between the cozy scenes with family and friends in Germany, and the hazards and harsh conditions of his expeditions to Greenland as a meterologist, from the last of which he never returned. My experience of this book may have been heightened by the fact that I ...more
Julia
I loved this book! I enjoy this genre of Arctic adventures. It seemed well researched and I felt like I learned a lot about early exploration in Greenland and had a lot of empathy for the characters.
Sandra Ingham
Beautifully written and wonderfully descriptive story of the life of a somewhat forgotten but, in my opinion, extraordinary man. I felt l was taken on the journey with him, seeing the ice and snow and feeling the excitement and stress with every expedition.
A great read to be enjoyed wrapped up ands cozy through winter days.
Tania
Oct 02, 2008 Tania rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of beautiful writing and gripping stories
This book is a wonderful example of how fiction can take us somewhere we would never otherwise have had access to: inside the mind of a historical figure, in this case Alfred Wegener. Clare Dudman achieves this so smoothly and movingly, without fireworks or cleverness. This is a powerful account of a man who has not recieved sufficient attention for his achievements, but it is also simply a beautifully-written and gripping story.
Liza
A beautiful and fascinating book about arctic exploration, this is a fictionalized bio of an actual scientist who was interested in many fields related to weather, the Arctic, plate tectonics, et al. It's also a thoughtful book on the process of science and thinking and experimentation, as well as being a wonderful narrative about adventure as well as family relations.
Kris
Clare Dudman is an AMAZING writer, but you don't hear much about her. This book made me care about a meteorologist in the Arctic Circle around 1930 (Alfred Wegener, if you're better with science than I am), which is quite an accomplishment. The writing is beautiful, and the character is so real.
Stephanie
May 01, 2008 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Kivrin
This is the fictionalized [auto]biography of an obscure German scientist who lived, studied, and explored remote areas of Greenland in the early 20th century. Certainly it is well-written and well-researched, but I never really connected with the characters or the story.
Beth
Fantastic! First-person fictionalized story of the life of German scientist Alfred Wegener in the early twentieth century. He was a ballooning pioneer, studied glaciers in Greenland, served in World War I, and developed the theory of Continental Drift.
krin
Seen through the eyes of Alfred Wegener, this book about his life mixed both poetry and science. I liked learning about Wegener's expeditions in Greenland and about his trying to convince the scientific community about continental drift.
Diana Higgins
I liked this book. I'd have given it 3-1/2 stars if I could have. I thought it was well-written and I loved the characters. It started to drag a little for me in the last third, though.
Shawna
Interesting account of the theory of continental drift. There is even mention of global climate changes from 100 years ago. I am amazed that Wegener is not recognized by name.
Liza
FYI, this book is also under the (much better and more evocative, IMHO) title One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead!

Read more reviews there--it's a wonderful book.
Gabrielle
This book starts slow, but it was worthwhile to understand the workings of explorers/scientists in the early 1900's. Would recommend to any geologist, explorer.
John
A very imaginative story showing not just heroism but the personal fears of a scientist and explorer from the beginning of the Twentieth Century.
☯Bettie☯
Chewy and pretty humourless but the science is very interesting. Saying that, if you just want facts there are online resources; one expects a certain finesse in a book.

--------
workaday mp3. Unabridged. A fictionalised biography - fictionalised, yes, but enthralling in terms of scientific discovery.

From Publishers Weekly
In British author Dudman's stunning first adult novel, she reveals the poetry of science, interweaving a deep character study of German meteorologist Alfred Wegener (1880–1930) w
I've read it, but I don't remember much, except that the preface was beautiful.
Elizabeth Baines
Impressive and atmospheric: the snowbound scenes are still with me.
Flowers
Flowers marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Payal Jain
Payal Jain marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
  • Fatal Passage: The Story of John Rae, the Arctic Hero Time Forgot
  • Mother of Sorrows
  • The Enemy Within: 2,000 Years of Witch-hunting in the Western World
  • Mister Posterior and the Genius Child
  • Stealing History: Tomb Raiders, Smugglers, and the Looting of the Ancient World
  • On the Grid: A Plot of Land, An Average Neighborhood, and the Systems that Make Our World Work
  • I Should Be Extremely Happy in Your Company: A Novel of Lewis and Clark
  • My Detachment: A Memoir
  • Bluebird: Women and the New Psychology of Happiness
  • Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween
  • Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme
  • Axel's Castle: A Study of the Imaginative Literature of 1870-1930
  • The Boys in the Trees
98 Reasons for Being A Place of Meadows and Tall Trees Edge of Danger Logorrhea: Good Words Make Good Stories Beacons: Stories for Our Not So Distant Future