Start by marking “One Day the Ice Will Reveal All It's Dead” as Want to Read:

Audio, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about One Day the Ice Will Reveal All It's Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day the Ice Will Reveal All It's Dead

sisterimapoet
Feb 24, 2011 sisterimapoet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-2011
If Khaled Hosseini managed to beguile me into thinking 'The Kite Runner' was fact Dudman did the reverse, I had to often pinch myself to remember that Wegener really lived.

I've hoarded this book for a while and it didn't disappoint. Cold adventures are a favourite of mine and in Dudman's hands they can only be brilliant, and they were.

A beautiful tone throughout - I really heard Wegeners voice. I saw through his eyes. I fell for his passions.

Clearly a thoroughly well researched novel, but the a
Sundry
Jun 25, 2008 Sundry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sundry by: Paul Larsen
I'm finding that I very much enjoy this genre of fiction written about real life people.

I liked a lot about this book. The descriptions of Wegener's early life is well done. Dudman's descriptions of the ice on his explorations of Greenland are evocative.

But I did find myself kind of slogging toward the end. I would have liked a little more psychological insight into the character. And I often found myself wishing Dudman would set a wider field of vision for the descriptions. The close up views o
Gregg
Jun 28, 2008 Gregg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book through a reference on Bookslut, which was only commenting on how cool the title was. It took me a week and a half to get into the story—I was always starting to read it late at night and falling asleep and forgetting what I had read. Once I had crossed that hurdle (on a road trip), I found it an engrossing story.

It is a fictionalized account of the life of Alfred Wegener, a German scrientist and explorer. It tracks his entire life, focusing primarily on the time he spent on th
Mairi
Dec 12, 2011 Mairi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the first few pages of this historical fiction/biographical novel, Dudman describes ice and cold. Just ice and cold. And it is so suffocatingly beautiful that I had to take a moment to decide whether I should keep reading now or save this for my New Year’s book. This is the sort of book I want to read out loud, even just to myself, so I can hear it as well as see it. Her words make me want to engage more senses. In it, she tells the story of Alfred Wegener, the man to first coherently theori ...more
Donna
Apr 07, 2015 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read in a wikipedia way. It is a fictional biography of Alfred Wegener, who happened to be a meteorologist. I appreciated the fact that the author did her research and that she was able to fabricate dialog, but I wish she had taken a few more creative liberties. It lacked a fictional vibe. The characters/historical figures were very stiff.

The first half was great as I was getting to know who Alfred was. But the last half seemed all wikipedia-ish and it just wasn't stayin
Annerlee
Excellent.
Marilyn Saul
I rarely quit a book when I am more than half-way through, but enough is enough. I am so bored with this egocentric character. I don't find him the least bit likable, and, frankly, I liked the dog much better. Now, if the author had stuck to the science and his forays into continental drift, I would have stuck with it.
nick
Oct 08, 2016 nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
borrow book from library website. im not usually interested in beautifully written storys since that tends to mean, as a whole its lacking. but this poetic feeling science & life journey was interesting & relaxing to listen to, threw all of its 12 hour and 20 min length. a little funny. if these words im about to mention make you giddy in the slightest, then id advise giving this a shoot. ice, dead, late 1800s early 19, arctic conditions, science, exploration, greenland, historical ficti ...more
Bettie☯
Chewy and pretty humourless but the science is very interesting. Saying that, if you just want facts there are online resources; one expects a certain finesse in a book.

--------
workaday mp3. Unabridged. A fictionalised biography - fictionalised, yes, but enthralling in terms of scientific discovery.

From Publishers Weekly
In British author Dudman's stunning first adult novel, she reveals the poetry of science, interweaving a deep character study of German meteorologist Alfred Wegener (1880–1930) w
John
Oct 23, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm usually not a great fan of US retitlings of UK books (think back to Christopher Priest's novel set in Hardy country, A Dream of Wessex, which in the US became The Perfect Lover), but in this instance I gave a cheer when I discovered on the copyright page that the original UK title had been Wegener's Jigsaw. Hellish emotive, wot?

To say this is a biographical novel about Alfred Wegener, the meteorologist/glaciologist who, in the early part of the 20th century, was the first to formulate and c
Jillian
"Let me tell you about ice..."

I don't read a great deal of historical fiction (I like both history and fiction, I just generally prefer them separated) but I was eventually drawn into this one and enjoyed the majority of it. Wegener was a fascinating and underappreciated scientist, always searching, striving, and theorizing with a boundless curiosity that sent him wandering into uninhabited lands and unfamiliar fields (often to the irritation of the established experts in those fields). Clare Du
Jessica
A good book, a fictionalized account of Alfed Wegener's life. For the non-geologists, Wegener was the one who first popularized the theory of continental drift, which revolutionized the science. He faced a lot of scorn at the time and didn't really get much recognition until after his death. This story was good, much about his explorations in the arctic, written to make you feel very very cold. While there were some excellent passages, as a whole the author had to stick to Wegener's actual biogr ...more
Ronald Wise
Aug 28, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel about German scientist Alfred Wegener's research in the ice to support his theory of continental drift. Based on Wegener's diary and notes, it is written in a first person voice as though an autobiography. There is a stark contrast between the cozy scenes with family and friends in Germany, and the hazards and harsh conditions of his expeditions to Greenland as a meterologist, from the last of which he never returned. My experience of this book may have been heightened by the fact that I ...more
John Kaufmann
I seem to be the anomaly here, giving it just two-stars. I thought the book was okay - I did keep reading until the end. I typically read non-fiction, but thought this fictionalized account of Wegener and the development of the theory of continental drift might be an interesting alternative. Some of the parts of his expeditions to Greenland and flying in a hot air balloon were reasonably interesting. But I also thought there was way too much autobiographical stuff with his family and with his wi ...more
Tania
Oct 02, 2008 Tania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of beautiful writing and gripping stories
This book is a wonderful example of how fiction can take us somewhere we would never otherwise have had access to: inside the mind of a historical figure, in this case Alfred Wegener. Clare Dudman achieves this so smoothly and movingly, without fireworks or cleverness. This is a powerful account of a man who has not recieved sufficient attention for his achievements, but it is also simply a beautifully-written and gripping story.
Sandra Ingham
Aug 07, 2014 Sandra Ingham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Beautifully written and wonderfully descriptive story of the life of a somewhat forgotten but, in my opinion, extraordinary man. I felt l was taken on the journey with him, seeing the ice and snow and feeling the excitement and stress with every expedition.
A great read to be enjoyed wrapped up ands cozy through winter days.
lixy
Dec 05, 2010 lixy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and fascinating book about arctic exploration, this is a fictionalized bio of an actual scientist who was interested in many fields related to weather, the Arctic, plate tectonics, et al. It's also a thoughtful book on the process of science and thinking and experimentation, as well as being a wonderful narrative about adventure as well as family relations.
Beth
Sep 21, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! First-person fictionalized story of the life of German scientist Alfred Wegener in the early twentieth century. He was a ballooning pioneer, studied glaciers in Greenland, served in World War I, and developed the theory of Continental Drift.
Julia
Oct 26, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I enjoy this genre of Arctic adventures. It seemed well researched and I felt like I learned a lot about early exploration in Greenland and had a lot of empathy for the characters.
Kris
May 10, 2007 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clare Dudman is an AMAZING writer, but you don't hear much about her. This book made me care about a meteorologist in the Arctic Circle around 1930 (Alfred Wegener, if you're better with science than I am), which is quite an accomplishment. The writing is beautiful, and the character is so real.
krin
Jun 03, 2008 krin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Seen through the eyes of Alfred Wegener, this book about his life mixed both poetry and science. I liked learning about Wegener's expeditions in Greenland and about his trying to convince the scientific community about continental drift.
Stephanie
May 01, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Kivrin
This is the fictionalized [auto]biography of an obscure German scientist who lived, studied, and explored remote areas of Greenland in the early 20th century. Certainly it is well-written and well-researched, but I never really connected with the characters or the story.
John
Nov 30, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very imaginative story showing not just heroism but the personal fears of a scientist and explorer from the beginning of the Twentieth Century.
Gabrielle
Aug 30, 2014 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book starts slow, but it was worthwhile to understand the workings of explorers/scientists in the early 1900's. Would recommend to any geologist, explorer.
lixy
May 24, 2010 lixy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FYI, this book is also under the (much better and more evocative, IMHO) title One Day the Ice Will Reveal All Its Dead!

Read more reviews there--it's a wonderful book.
Shawna
May 28, 2011 Shawna rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Interesting account of the theory of continental drift. There is even mention of global climate changes from 100 years ago. I am amazed that Wegener is not recognized by name.
Diana Higgins
I liked this book. I'd have given it 3-1/2 stars if I could have. I thought it was well-written and I loved the characters. It started to drag a little for me in the last third, though.
Sara Garrity
Sara Garrity rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2012
Marina
Marina rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2010
  • Czars: Russia's rulers for over one thousand years
  • Skin: A Natural History
  • Mother of Sorrows
  • The Enemy Within: 2,000 Years of Witch-hunting in the Western World
  • On the Grid: A Plot of Land, an Average Neighborhood, and the Systems That Make Our World Work
  • Born in Africa: The Quest for the Origins of Human Life
  • Stealing History: Tomb Raiders, Smugglers, and the Looting of the Ancient World
  • Bluebird: Women and the New Psychology of Happiness
  • Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme
  • Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween
  • Axel's Castle: A Study of the Imaginative Literature of 1870-1930
  • The Boys in the Trees
  • Red Clay, Blue Cadillac: Stories of Twelve Southern Women
  • In a Land of Plenty
  • I May Be Some Time: Ice and the English Imagination
  • 200 Crochet Tips, Techniques & Trade Secrets: An Indispensible Resource of Technical Know-How and Troubleshooting Tips
Clare Dudman was born in North Wales. She has a PhD in Chemistry and has worked as a postdoctoral Research Associate in UMIST, a development scientist in industry, a science teacher, a lecturer and as a creative writing tutor for the WEA and the MA in creative writing at University College Chester. She is a member of the Welsh Academy.
More about Clare Dudman...