Start by marking “The Long Road Turns To Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation” as Want to Read:
The Long Road Turns To Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation

The Long Road Turns To Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  235 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
One of the few books focused completely on mindful walking and walking meditation. This revised edition of the best-selling title (nearly 80,000 copies sold to date) includes over 30 percent new material—including new walking meditation poems and practices—and provides a practical and inspirational introduction to this important practice. Written in Thich Nhat Hanh’s clear ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Parallax Press (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Road Turns To Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Road Turns To Joy

T. Browning
Dec 10, 2014 T. Browning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New goal in life: Always read a Thich Nhat Hanh during finals week. Tests are a celebration of knowledge dude!
Iona  Stewart
Aug 07, 2011 Iona Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful little book, which brought me peace and calm just by reading it.

Thich Nhat Hanh is a wise Zen master, who lives in exile in France, in a community called Plum Village. He tells us we must learn to make "peaceful, anxiety-free" steps. Walking with mindfulness brings us "real happiness".

He teaches us how to walk noticing our breath and the number of steps we take whilst breathing in and out. If we take three steps while breathing in and four steps while breathing out, we can s
Patricia
"Walking meditation is meditation while walking. ...Anyone can do it. It takes only a little time, a little mindfulness, and the wish to be happy." This is the beginning of this little book of ways to practice meditation while walking. It's a sweet book, and here are a few of my favorite passages:

"Walking mindfully on the Earth can restore our peace and harmony, and it can restore the Earth's peace and harmony as well. We are children of the Earth. We rely on her for our happiness, and she relie
Riobhcah
May 13, 2012 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing
P. 18: "Walking meditation helps us to regain our sovereignty, our liberty as human beings. We walk with grace and dignity, like emporers, or lions."

Another wonderful book by Thich Nhat Hanh...This one teaches us how to reconnect with the energies of the earth by walking mindfully, and thus to overcome anxiety and delusion and to find the peace that exists in the present moment.

He makes a very good point in saying that all too often we walk upon the earth with steps of fear and sorrow, while wa
Elsje
Jun 23, 2011 Elsje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Lezers van mijn blog (http://elsjesemoties.blogspot.com) zal het niet ontgaan zijn: ik mediteer tegenwoordig. En daarnaast wandel ik vele kilometers. Toen ik met Sjaak tijdens een van onze wandelingen langs het Maarten van Rossumpad in de B&B waar we sliepen het boekje van Thich Nhat Hanh zag over leesmeditatie, heb ik dat dan ook direct gelezen. Een combinatie van de alertheid van Zenmeditatie en de lichamelijke beweging van wandelen leek me geweldig.

Het is een heel klein boekje, het ziet e
Jody Mena
Very short - its almost more of a pamphlet than a book - but very powerful! There is always much to gain from reading the words of Thich Nhat Hanh, this book was no exception. He lays out the method of walking meditation mixed in with philosophical insights and poetic metaphors. It's all very uplifting and calming. The methods in this little book are so great too, walking meditation while practicing deep breathing is good for the body, mind and spirit, it really is one of the most satisfying and ...more
Bob
Apr 16, 2015 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book quite by accident, many years ago, while browsing the "Philosophy" section in a bookstore. In perusing it I discovered that I had been essentially doing this at times but unaware that I was. A simple (not to be confused with easy) technique that can be incorporated into everyday life. While it is walking for the sake of walking it can be utilized in "walking from A to B" This is the book that led me into deeper studies of Buddhism.
Maureen
Aug 11, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism
I had a unique opportunity to spend time with Thich Nhat Hanh and the monks and nuns who travel with him. One of the most beautiful parts of spending time with them was doing the walking meditation. It was particularly interesting for me, because I am used to forging ahead. Instead, I slowly lifted one foot and placed it in front of the other, while paying attention to my breathing and slowly becoming aware of the beauty of the earth around me.

This postcard-sized book is filled with photographs
MAHESH
Mar 23, 2015 MAHESH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very small one but very useful. We walk every day.. But because of this book perception of walking get changed. Simple but very powerful. Must read it. And we can immediately apply it in our life. Go for it.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
A practical guide to become conscious of one's breathing while walking, thereby becoming aware of the here and now. I tried on my usual walk tonight: in-in-in, out-out... but it is difficult because every time I tried to focus on my breathing as explained in the guide my steps would slow down and that would be wrong because then my walk would be unreal. This kept me busy for an hour. I will try again tomorrow.
Margaret
Oct 05, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for reading a page a day.
Nikki
Beautiful little book on walking meditation. Filled with wonderful tips and poems that can be used whether you are on a long walk, walking up the stairs at work, or even just taking a moment to bring yourself back to the present moment. I actually read this in one straight shot while I was waiting to see a doctor. It really made the time pass differently!! I got very centered and calm. I highly recommend!!
Sarah Booth
May 16, 2011 Sarah Booth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
though short, there was a great deal of insite offered about the importance of meditation and mindful walking or meditative walking. It was an eye opener as to the importance our actions play in the world.
The book basically describes how to walk meditatively and give the reason why it is important and how it affects you and the world. A simple text that has a great deal to offer.
Tom
Dec 25, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thích Nhât Hanh, (1996), The Long Road Turns to Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation, Parallax Press, Berkeley, CA. This short, practical how-to book on walking meditation is worth its weight in gold. I have adapted its principles for my morning jog, so that I do a “running meditation” some days, and walking meditation other days. This book can work miracles if you put it in practice.
Chanita.Shannon
Buddhist monk and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh illuminates the spiritual benefits afforded by walking mindfully. (from Publishers Weekly) Learn to enjoy each step and each breath, to regain peace in difficult moments. Photographs of walking meditation from around the world are included. (from Amazon)
Deborah
Oct 27, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tuck The Long Road Turns to Joy in your pocket and turn your walk into a joyful meditation. Thich Nhat Hanh teaches "walking just for walking." Learn to enjoy each step and each breath, to regain peace in difficult moments. Photographs of walking meditation from around the world are included.
Penny
Feb 09, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
This delightfully simple little book about walking meditation was a major turning point in my spiritual path, and provides an easy and healthful way to become more mindful and live in the present moment. I recommend it to everyone, regardless of your religious beliefs.
Chris Gager
Nov 07, 2011 Chris Gager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A small picture book that's a tribute to TNH's ministry around the world and a guide to walking meditation. We all need a lot more peace in our lives for sure. Date is approximate.
Enso 108
A very short book, some good advice about counting breaths and steps, and some nice mantras and gathas. I'll stick with the one I know best Gate gate, paragate, parasamgate, bodhisattva.
Stephanie Coutant
Amazing. Read it with my Yoga students which lent itself to an actual practice for us. Beautiful!
Glenda
Dec 02, 2013 Glenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book. Very helpful in developing mindfulness. I recommend it.
Lorraine
Nov 25, 2011 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A small gem of a book. I really enjoyed doing all the exrcises.
Dave Peticolas

This is a peaceful book about walking meditation.

Linda Walters
Dec 11, 2013 Linda Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Thay's way of walking meditation is wonderful.
Janice
Sep 27, 2010 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing to read and practice
Ashley
May 23, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophical
Smile and walk with purpose. Calming.
Cinny green
Tet Lu
Tet Lu added it
Jun 20, 2016
filipinacolada
filipinacolada rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
  • Kindness, Clarity, and Insight
  • The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life
  • No Destination: An Autobiography
  • Becoming Native to This Place
  • Mindful Teaching and Teaching Mindfulness: A Guide for Anyone Who Teaches Anything
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Beginner's Grace: Bringing Prayer to Life
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Eastern Wisdom, Modern Life: Collected Talks 1960-1969
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Still Here: Embracing Aging, Changing and Dying
  • Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • The Faith to Doubt: Glimpses of Buddhist Uncertainty
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • The Authentic Life: Zen Wisdom for Living Free from Complacency and Fear
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...