Start by marking “The Long Road Turns To Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation” as Want to Read:
The Long Road Turns To Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation

The Long Road Turns To Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  25 reviews
One of the few books focused completely on mindful walking and walking meditation. This revised edition of the best-selling title (nearly 80,000 copies sold to date) includes over 30 percent new material—including new walking meditation poems and practices—and provides a practical and inspirational introduction to this important practice. Written in Thich Nhat Hanh’s clear ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Parallax Press (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Road Turns To Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Road Turns To Joy

Timothy Browning
New goal in life: Always read a Thich Nhat Hanh during finals week. Tests are a celebration of knowledge dude!
Iona  Main Stewart
This is a delightful little book, which brought me peace and calm just by reading it.

Thich Nhat Hanh is a wise Zen master, who lives in exile in France, in a community called Plum Village. He tells us we must learn to make "peaceful, anxiety-free" steps. Walking with mindfulness brings us "real happiness".

He teaches us how to walk noticing our breath and the number of steps we take whilst breathing in and out. If we take three steps while breathing in and four steps while breathing out, we can s
Patricia
"Walking meditation is meditation while walking. ...Anyone can do it. It takes only a little time, a little mindfulness, and the wish to be happy." This is the beginning of this little book of ways to practice meditation while walking. It's a sweet book, and here are a few of my favorite passages:

"Walking mindfully on the Earth can restore our peace and harmony, and it can restore the Earth's peace and harmony as well. We are children of the Earth. We rely on her for our happiness, and she relie
Rivqah
P. 18: "Walking meditation helps us to regain our sovereignty, our liberty as human beings. We walk with grace and dignity, like emporers, or lions."

Another wonderful book by Thich Nhat Hanh...This one teaches us how to reconnect with the energies of the earth by walking mindfully, and thus to overcome anxiety and delusion and to find the peace that exists in the present moment.

He makes a very good point in saying that all too often we walk upon the earth with steps of fear and sorrow, while wa
Elsje
Lezers van mijn blog (http://elsjesemoties.blogspot.com) zal het niet ontgaan zijn: ik mediteer tegenwoordig. En daarnaast wandel ik vele kilometers. Toen ik met Sjaak tijdens een van onze wandelingen langs het Maarten van Rossumpad in de B&B waar we sliepen het boekje van Thich Nhat Hanh zag over leesmeditatie, heb ik dat dan ook direct gelezen. Een combinatie van de alertheid van Zenmeditatie en de lichamelijke beweging van wandelen leek me geweldig.

Het is een heel klein boekje, het ziet e
Jody Mena
Very short - its almost more of a pamphlet than a book - but very powerful! There is always much to gain from reading the words of Thich Nhat Hanh, this book was no exception. He lays out the method of walking meditation mixed in with philosophical insights and poetic metaphors. It's all very uplifting and calming. The methods in this little book are so great too, walking meditation while practicing deep breathing is good for the body, mind and spirit, it really is one of the most satisfying and ...more
Maureen
Aug 11, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism
I had a unique opportunity to spend time with Thich Nhat Hanh and the monks and nuns who travel with him. One of the most beautiful parts of spending time with them was doing the walking meditation. It was particularly interesting for me, because I am used to forging ahead. Instead, I slowly lifted one foot and placed it in front of the other, while paying attention to my breathing and slowly becoming aware of the beauty of the earth around me.

This postcard-sized book is filled with photographs
Margaret
Good for reading a page a day.
Nikki
Beautiful little book on walking meditation. Filled with wonderful tips and poems that can be used whether you are on a long walk, walking up the stairs at work, or even just taking a moment to bring yourself back to the present moment. I actually read this in one straight shot while I was waiting to see a doctor. It really made the time pass differently!! I got very centered and calm. I highly recommend!!
Sarah Booth
though short, there was a great deal of insite offered about the importance of meditation and mindful walking or meditative walking. It was an eye opener as to the importance our actions play in the world.
The book basically describes how to walk meditatively and give the reason why it is important and how it affects you and the world. A simple text that has a great deal to offer.
Tom
Thích Nhât Hanh, (1996), The Long Road Turns to Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation, Parallax Press, Berkeley, CA. This short, practical how-to book on walking meditation is worth its weight in gold. I have adapted its principles for my morning jog, so that I do a “running meditation” some days, and walking meditation other days. This book can work miracles if you put it in practice.
Chanita.Shannon
Buddhist monk and peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh illuminates the spiritual benefits afforded by walking mindfully. (from Publishers Weekly) Learn to enjoy each step and each breath, to regain peace in difficult moments. Photographs of walking meditation from around the world are included. (from Amazon)
Deborah
Tuck The Long Road Turns to Joy in your pocket and turn your walk into a joyful meditation. Thich Nhat Hanh teaches "walking just for walking." Learn to enjoy each step and each breath, to regain peace in difficult moments. Photographs of walking meditation from around the world are included.
Penny
This delightfully simple little book about walking meditation was a major turning point in my spiritual path, and provides an easy and healthful way to become more mindful and live in the present moment. I recommend it to everyone, regardless of your religious beliefs.
Chris Gager
A small picture book that's a tribute to TNH's ministry around the world and a guide to walking meditation. We all need a lot more peace in our lives for sure. Date is approximate.
Enso 108
A very short book, some good advice about counting breaths and steps, and some nice mantras and gathas. I'll stick with the one I know best Gate gate, paragate, parasamgate, bodhisattva.
Stephanie Coutant
Amazing. Read it with my Yoga students which lent itself to an actual practice for us. Beautiful!
Glenda
I re-read this book. Very helpful in developing mindfulness. I recommend it.
Lorraine
A small gem of a book. I really enjoyed doing all the exrcises.
Dave Peticolas

This is a peaceful book about walking meditation.

Linda Walters
Thay's way of walking meditation is wonderful.
Janice
Continuing to read and practice
Ashley
Smile and walk with purpose. Calming.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Jigar Brahmbhatt is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Dawson
Dawson marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Kindness, Clarity, and Insight
  • Becoming Native to This Place
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • One Minute Wisdom
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
  • Beginner's Grace: Bringing Prayer to Life
  • Introducing Liberation Theology
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace