Start by marking “A Marcha (Michael Osbourne #2)” as Want to Read:
A Marcha (Michael Osbourne #2)

A Marcha (Michael Osbourne #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,466 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Quando os acordos de paz da Sexta-feira Santa são quebrados por três actos selvagens de terrorismo, a Irlanda do Norte é novamente arrastada para as profundezas do conflito. E depois de o seu sogro ser nomeado o novo embaixador americano em Londres, o agente reformado da CIA, Michael Osbourne, é novamente atraído para o activo. Depressa descobre que o seu sogro está marcad ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 400 pages
Published 2011 by Bertrand Editora (first published 1999)

Jim A
Jan 15, 2013 Jim A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rereading Daniel Silva’s early work has been doubly enjoyable. First, the stories were well written, but more importantly to me was to see how Silva drew from the antagonist, Delaroche, from The Mark of The Assassin and The Marching Season, and parlayed him into Gabriel Allon in the future works. While Delaroche admits to being an assassin, he states on more than one occasion that he is not a murderer. Also, Delaroche has talent as a painter and, of course Allon has the cover of being an art res ...more
George
Dec 02, 2009 George rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Daniel Silva's funs who want to read just about everything from the writer
Recommended to George by: No one, I belong to the group above
J
May 23, 2012 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I DON'T HIDE MY REVIEWS, BUT THEY DO CONTAIN SPOILERS.

This is in Silva's line of Michael Osbourne books.

Osbourne is a former CIA agent who has rejoined the service. He's done so because his father-in-law, a retired U.S. senator, has been named to an ambassador post to Ireland, and Osbourne senses danger.

Osbourne never crosses paths with Silva's main protagonist -- on-again, off-again Israeli agent-assassin Gabriel Allon, who stars in most Silva novels.

But the two men do have in common their enc
Tony
Jun 26, 2011 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Silva- The Marching Season (Ballantine Books 2000) 3.25 Stars

Things are heating up in Ireland as peace talks are happening. People are dying and Michael Osbourne has been brought back into the CIA to help deal with the problem. Now he has discovered that his father-in-law, the new American Ambassador in London, is to be assassinated to send a message. This will bring him face-to-face with an old enemy, a man who failed to kill him the first time, and does not plan to miss twice.

The intro
Lance Charnes
Jun 30, 2012 Lance Charnes rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for a spy book for a beach read
Daniel Silva has become the go-to guy for realistic espionage thrillers; his Gabriel Allon series has been cited by intelligence professionals as an example of how to do the business right. So what in hell happened with The Marching Season?

This was his third published novel; maybe he was still learning the ropes. There's nothing technically wrong with his prose. The settings are well-realized, and some of the ancillary characters present well. That's to be expected of Silva, and that bit he deli
Benjamin Thomas
May 31, 2014 Benjamin Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-spy
This is the second (and so far last) of the Michael Osborne books by Daniel Silva. The incredible popularity of his Gabriel Allon series makes it very difficult, I’m sure, to return to this earlier series but I hope that he will someday.

Michael Osborne is a spy. (Sorry…don’t mean to sound like the opening of the Burn Notice TV show). He is now retired from the CIA but is convinced to return to his former life when the conflict in Northern Ireland heats up once again. It seems there are those who
Rui Gel
Apr 27, 2016 Rui Gel rated it it was amazing
Electrizante. Mantém o nível a que nos habituou. Chama a atenção para uma realidade que, por conveniência dos media - e outros -, não nos é dada a conhecer. Gostei muito. Cumpriu o principal objectivo: uma história interessante e bem contada; é a fórmula para um bom livro. Obrigado, Daniel.
Jenny
Mar 01, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Osbourne is back but this story is about October and the Ulster Freedom Brigade as much as it is about the former CIA agent.

The story was a bit tricky since I don't know much about Northern Ireland politics. I had to look up the exact reference of "Ulster" and I constantly felt confused about which side was which. I also never figured out if the Black Friday treaty was real or made up for the purposes of this book. But it was a quick read and somewhat more satisfying than the first simpl
James
Oct 22, 2013 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, fiction
Daniel Silva is the master of the genre and this is another entertaining fun read with thrills, spills as somewhat cartoonlike characters beat eachother black and blue across the world. It does require a certain suspension of belief, especially when the Queen does a cameo, or you will nitpick your way out of what is an enjoyable read.
Diane Rapport
Mar 08, 2016 Diane Rapport rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read from Daniel Silva. As usual, SIlva sets the scene perfectly. His background details are spot on, and he seamlessly blends fact and fiction to build the story. This volume in set in the middle of the Irish-English "troubles". American agent Michael Osborne is re-activated and sent to England. His mission - find and stop a terrorist group trying to derail peace talks. In the middle of this challenge, he runs across an old nemesis. One who has links to a far bigger conspiracy ...more
Tom Tischler
Jun 16, 2014 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During the early years in Northern Ireland when they were
trying to find peace three attacks in Belfast, Dublin
and London shattered all hope for peace. A new group called
the Ulster Freedom Brigade has shattered the peace process
and they have only one goal. To destroy the peace process.
Michael Osbourne has gotten out of the CIA bitter and
disillusioned but his father in law is chosen to be the next
ambassador to Britain and Michael is drawn into a battle
with some of the most violent men on eart
Steve
Jul 28, 2012 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is amatuerish compared to the Allon books, and the WWII spy book, The Unlikely Spy.
Sheila
Dec 09, 2015 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: daniel-silva
will write
Kelanth
Mar 08, 2016 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spionaggio
Il bersaglio, in originale "The Marching Season", è un libro di spionaggio dello scrittore americano Daniel Silva, edito nel 1999. E' autore di 18 di thriller e di romanzi spionaggio. E' il secondo libro della serie con protagonista Michael Osbourne, agente della Cia. Il romanzo, "Il disertore", si è collocato al primo posto nella lista dei bestseller del New York Times. Nel 2006 ha ricevuto il Premio Barry per il miglior thriller con "Terrore in Vaticano".

La trama del romanzo: l'ex agente Micha
Reinaldo Lourenço
Feb 10, 2016 Reinaldo Lourenço rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-2016
Bom... eu nao sou propriamente fã de livros de espionagem mas tenho dado algumas 5* aos livros do Daniel Silva. Eu sei que isto pode parecer um bocado contra senso mas também nao consigo explicar.
Já tinha gostado do 1º livro do Michael Osborne e este 2º livro também me cativou bastante.
Na verdade estes 2 livros nao sao tão de espionagem como os da serie Gabriel Allon, se calhar foi por isso que gostei mais que os outros.
Percebi neste livro onde o autor foi buscar a inspiração para a personagem G
Amanda
Loved it, loved it, loved it. Jacob and I listed to this one on audiobook - one of the best I've heard so far. It's written by a former war correspondent who uses his experiences in journalism to add rich detail to the novel.

It's the story of Michael, an on-again, off-again CIA agent whose married to the doctor of a liberal senator. The story centers around Michael's showdown with a deadly former-KGB, now killer for hire code named October. October tried to kill Michael and his wife but instead
Nuno Magalhães
Aug 27, 2011 Nuno Magalhães rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Este segundo livro da série Michael Osborne criada por Daniel Silva retoma o duelo inacabado no primeiro livro (A Marca do Assassino) entre Osborne, que entretanto regressa ao activo na CIA, e Delaroche, o famigerado assassino conhecido por Outubro. No entanto, o autor introduz neste livro uma trama interessante que está relacionada com a eterna disputa na Irlanda do Norte entre Católicos republicanos (que pretendem a independência do Reino unido) e Protestante lealistas
que pretendem a permanên
Tom
Aug 31, 2009 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new terrorist group in Northern Ireland takes action to disrupt the newly signed peace accord. In an effort to support the British, the American president appoints his respected nemisis, Douglas Cannon, to the position of Ambassador to the Court of St. James. Cannon's son-in-law, retired CIA operative Michael Osbourne, is recruited to work the Northern Ireland desk in the CIA, in an effort to quell the terrorist group's activities. Osbourne uncovers a plot to kill Cannon, and working with Brit ...more
Forthbridge
Tom Clancy meets Ian Fleming and Frederick Forsyth. Lots of contemporary characters: Tony Blair, Gerry Adams and even the Queen of England. Lots of weapons. Lots of cars. I was half expecting Blair to come out of his Vauxhall with his Browning for a face-off with our own dear Queen, in a Jag, who has a silenced Beretta in her handbag. Meanwhile Inspector Clouseau exits his Renault with a Maxim.
The plot outlines the progress of an Ulster terror gang who kill shed loads of people from Washington
Tita
Apr 14, 2011 Tita rated it really liked it
Shelves: meus, livros-2011
Mais um livro lido de Daniel Silva, mas desta vez sobre Michael Osbourne, um agente da CIA.
Apesar de este ser o segundo livro desta série e de ainda não ter lido o primeiro (estou a contar que chegue às minhas mãos esta semana eheheh) não me foi nada difícil acompanhar a história. Pois, tal como é hábito, nos livros de Daniel Silva, à medida que o desenrolar dos acontecimentos se prende com algo que aconteceu no passado, é sempre feito um breve resumo dos factos.
Quanto à história em si, e para a
Will
Jun 10, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
In the sequel to "The Mark of the Assassin (Gabriel Allon)", ex-CIA agent Michael Osbourne is recouping from his physical injuries and gets bored out of his mind playing Mr. Mom. When Osbourne's father in law has taken a position as the USA's ambassador to the Court of St. James, Osbourne willingly comes back to the CIA in order to investigate a new Irish terrorist group as well as protect his relative. Osbourne manages to foil the plot, but the group takes out a contract on his life.

The plot a
Scott  Breslove
I guess if Mark of the Assassin was three stars, this one was probably three and a half, or maybe three and a quarter. Good but not great, but I did like Michael a lot more in this book. The plot again was high quality, but Silva still indulges in way to much detail, including places that need minimal to no detail, and that always throws a book off for me. Interesting twist at the end, with Michael and Delaroche, which I didn't see coming, which was nice. Tied up a few loose ends nicely too.
One
Marie
May 01, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starts a bit slow as many Silva books but very soon I am enthralled,captivated and unable to put down. Although, I still believe nothing beats the Gabrielle Allon series. Daniel Silva is a great writer and story teller but the best part is I tend to learn a great deal about international relations that I should know but do not. I grew up thinking history is boring. One of my largest mistakes!
Marty Fried
Apr 15, 2016 Marty Fried rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book of the series; it was a continuation of the first book, and really should be considered a two-book story.

I enjoyed the books, although it was a little strange in the way the full story was "solved", and I was a little disappointed in the loose ends. Hopefully, there will be another book to continue the story. I'll definitely keep my eye out for one.
Teresa Mills-clark
I am a big fan of Silva's writing but this is the first of his earlier books that I have read and the difference between then and his more recent offerings is significant ... possibly, had I read this book in 2004 and none of his others I might've enjoyed it ... hard to tell. I won't be reading anymore before this one, that's for sure. Looking forward to his next novel, though.
Suzen
Jul 28, 2014 Suzen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED IT - and again - any time that an author rewards me for having read his previous works by weaving in details into the current story line. Well developed characters, interesting plot and detailed but not tedious descriptions! (Almost skipped a church service - after driving all the way there- to finish the book while sitting in the parking lot!)
Ada Iaboni
Feb 21, 2015 Ada Iaboni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In reading this book I learned a lot about the Northern Ireland conflict. It was a very interesting story even though it really did not resolve anything, but it made me think. I've always felt that we humans do some terrible things in the name of God and religion. This book confirmed my thoughts and feelings even more. And, that we are a long, long way to resolving our differences.
I did like the fact that the main characters reached an understanding. There is hope....
Donald
Mar 18, 2016 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: daniel-silva, 2016
The only reason I didn't give 'The Marching Season' was because, (i) it left several unanswered questions or unresolved conflicts, and (ii) it's the end of the Michael Osbourne series, thus the 'skeletons' will stay in the closet... boohoohoo :) I'd love to seen closure with, the end-of-the-Society-n-Director, and somehow, see the assassins 'pay' for taking the lives of 'innocent collateral' persons.
Lisa
Jul 09, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uh oh. I inadvertently started reading a series book with book #2. Hate it when that happens, but no worries, there's enough background info provided that it all makes sense. I'd read the rest of the series. I enjoyed a refresher on the violence in Northland Ireland in the 1970s since I didn't understand it at the time.
  • Mortal Allies (Sean Drummond, #2)
  • The Killing Ground (Sean Dillion, #14)
  • The Faithful Spy (John Wells, #1)
  • The Runner
  • The Sands of Sakkara
  • The Lisbon Crossing (Jack Teller, #2)
  • Storming Heaven (Mark Beamon, #2)
  • The Company of Strangers
  • Death Is Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #12)
  • The Expediter (Kirk McGarvey, #13)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • The Delta Solution (Mack Bedford, #3)
  • Cathedral
  • Extraordinary Powers
Daniel Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public policy programming. In 1994 he began work on his first novel, The Unlikely Spy, a surprise best seller that w ...more
More about Daniel Silva...

Michael Osbourne (2 books)
  • The Mark of the Assassin (Michael Osbourne, #1)

“So what are you planning to do with the rest of your life?
Develop a drinking problem. More Scotch, please.”
33 likes