The All-Pro

The All-Pro (Galactic Football League #3)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  905 ratings  ·  61 reviews
THE ALL-PRO is the third book in the Galactic Football League series, following on THE ROOKIE and THE STARTER.Seven centuries into the future, aliens and humans compete for the greatest prize in the universe: the Galaxy Bowl trophy. Quarterback Quentin Barnes enters his third season at the helm of the Ionath Krakens. He's re-shaped the team in his image, and the time for e...more
Published September 2011 by Dark Overlord Media (first published 2011)

BigJohn
Wow, what a ride. This book starts out hitting the ground at full speed, introducing us to a completely new type of future spectator sport. The familiar cast is back, ready to take on their second season of Tier 1 football and make it all the way to the Galaxy Bowl.

Along the way, their leader, Quarterback Quentin Barnes, encounters obstacle after obstacle. Some are beyond his control; some are things he tries to take control of. His co-horts' loyalties come into question, and divisions begin to...more
Steve
Caveats and disclaimers abound, so where to start?

It is what it is, but what's not to like? Sci-Fi, football (re-imagined, but with deep respect for tradition and history), politics, organized crime, religion, etc... OK, maybe it's not for everyone, but my son and I are really enjoying the series.... Granted, I'm still enamored with the 1970's movie classic, Rollerball. (filmed in Munich, starring James Caan and John Houseman - classic stuff!!!) - yet disgusted with the half-baked remake - and,...more
Jeff Miller
This is the third book in the SF/Sports mashup as we again follow the career of Quarterback Quentin Barnes. Scott Sigler being the sick-twisted person he (and I mean that affectionately) is means we don't get a feel-good sports story. This is not Rocky in outer space. What we do get is an immensely satisfying plot that crosses multiple genres without seeming forced. Then you have the character building elements as players develop in their relationships and make mistakes in those relationship alo...more
Jorge Contreras
WOW what an ending. Barnes must have screwed something up in an earlier life. Great book, just when I thought is over time to imagine the future..... BOOM!!!!! KAPOW!!!!! Sharp left, and the story ends in an inexplicable way. Thanks for the book,i now am waiting for another... or will this tie in to "the crypt" series? Hmmmmm.
Ryan Burt
1) Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Sciens Fiction

3) Synopsis: Quarterback Quentin Barnes enters his third season at the helm of the Ionath Krakens. He's re-shaped the team in his image, and the time for excuses is over -- it's win, or be replaced.

4) Feelings: I love this series. I really do. It has football and aliens. How can you not like that? I am a little worried about where the series might be headed but I laughed out loud several times during this book. I even think about getting some so...more
Stefani
Quentin Barnes may be a jock, some might even say a meathead, but never let anyone say he doesn't have feelings too! Entering his third year as quarterback for the Ionath Krakens he is determined to see his team to winning a championship. Along the way he searches diligently for his family, must contend with the fall out of some of his decisions over the last 2 years, must build a championship team, and negotiate for a new contract. It's going to be a long year, and once the betrayals begin then...more
Pepper Thorn
Sep 28, 2011 Pepper Thorn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of football and/or sci-fi action
In my experience, the third book in any series is a clutch play. It is the book that sets the trajectory fir the rest of the series, delivering either more of the same or shooting the story of in some unexpected direction and leaving the reader scrambling to follow. I admit that by halfway through The All-Pro I thought it would fall solidly into the first category. Boy, was I wrong.

In the first two books, Sigler proved himself a master of twists and turns in the plot that you never saw coming....more
Joe Hempel
Quinten and the boys are back for another season of the Galactic Football League!

By now fans of the series are probably used to the format...Off Season...Season...Post Season...with story galore between the scenes.

Sigler again does a great job of bringing the excitement and drama of football to the written page, with alot of off the field action and drama being brought into it as well. You aren't just reading a football game here.

Characters in any book are important, and with these books, you re...more
Mark
For a person who never much cared for football, I was amazed that any book about the subject would be worth my time. Now that this, the third in the Galactic Football League (GFL) series, is now in my "read" folder, I must admit that I am happy that I gave this series a chance. If you are familiar with Scott's books outside of the GFL series and were put off by the language, you will be happy to note that this series is written with a YA audience in mind in that regard. The violence is also tone...more
Regie
The third book in Sigler's "Galactic Football League" series continues the saga of young Quarterback Quentin Barnes. (You know it's only just occured to me, after six years that his initials are "QB"?)His learning curve continues as he discovers more about his family, his team mates, and most of all his team, the Ionath Krakens and its ruthless owner Greedok the Splithead.

Things are a little tougher for Quentin this season (each book covers a season of GFL Football) and not everybody in the gal...more
Dave Hogg
There's a serious problem with this book. Like the first two books in the series, I read this one with great haste. There is so little good sports SF out there that I'm really enjoying this series.

So what's the problem? There's no fourth book! For reasons that I do not at all understand, Scott Sigler did not have the next book ready when I finished this one. Apparently, it isn't going to be out for months. Given the fact that this book ends on an massive cliffhanger, that seems quite unfair.

Howe...more
Allison
With every book, Sigler gets better.

As always, the main thrust of the book is Quentin and his every evolving relationships with the Krakens. This books throws more than the usual amounts of problems at Quentin, but he handles them with his normal "grace."

This book also starts to stretch out into the lives of the other players. It was refreshing to see some of the other players, beyond Pine and John interacting with Quentin.

Not that I don't love my Uncle Johnny though.

It was the inclusion of...more
Kali Mura
I never thought a book about a futuristic football league would become so fascinating to me. This is the third novel in Sigler's Galactic Football League series and Quentin Barnes' journey has changed so much from just trying to become a successful quarterback. His life is now filled with the difficult task of trying to make a team full of squabbling alien species mesh together to become champions. This is while he is dealing with his own personal issues of an intense identity crisis and a publi...more
Dan Mumford
Scott Sigler, the Future Dark Overlord has done it again. The All-Pro is a great addition to the Galactic Football League series. For a sci-fi fan who doesn't watch or particularly care about football, I love this series which is all about football...700 years in the future. Scott does a great job explaining the game to football illiterate fans in the beginning of the series. His characters are very real and relatable, with believable motivations and emotions. In the All-Pro, the plot moves alon...more
Jeremy
The third installment of the GFL (Galactic Football League) is very entertaining, but slightly predictable. There are a number of subplots that you could see the twist coming if you read/watch movies very often. That being said,my overall opinion is that these books are incredibly creative, well thought out, and well written. The dialog carries very well and the main story line keeps you riveted. Sigler does an excellent job of creating a believable science fiction environment where one can feel...more
Gloria
This may be my favorite of the series so far. Interesting character arcs as well as the great action, sports, criminal shenanigans & league politics; a lot of plot points from the previous books come to a head in this one in a nice organic way. I like how the gameplay is written, giving us action as well as insight into the characters. I really like that we *really* don't know if our hero's team will win the game or not (or whether they will win the "big" game or not) because although it's a...more
Michael Smith
Despite the fact that the "big twist" 2/3 of the way through the book was very transparent and predictable, and the book leaves you hanging desperately wanting to read the next... this is really a great book. The character development and interaction with the other species over the course of this series has really been fascinating and throw in the "godfather-esque" story lines along with the pure science fiction adventure, and the football that rings true even though it is so far outside the rea...more
Blaine
Feb 10, 2013 Blaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I've been a fan of Scott Sigler since I first found his podcast of Infected. His early works are solid horror, mixed with humor. They will never be confused with literature, but both the books and his readings of them are entertaining.

The All-Pro is the third book in a planned seven-book series. The story keeps getting bigger, with more character development, and more context for the action. One plot-line was rather predictable (Quentin and his father), but it was still consistent with the naive...more
Paul Cooley
Quentin Barnes has been through a lot of hell in his life, but "The All-Pro" definitely sends him through several different hells he'd never imagined.

In the middle of fighting to get his team to the playoffs, Quentin has to deal with internal team politics, crime-lord manipulations, as well as evaluation of his decisions and ideals. It's a hell of a good book and it certainly foreshadows what's to come in the series.

I have only two complaints:
The kindle edition had many typos.
The ending leaves y...more
Shawn
Scott Sigler has given us a fully detail and full realized world. His details are incredible. His characterization is fantastic. I love this series by him and recommend it highly to every sports and sci fi fan. This book is dependent on the two that proceed it. This is not a series you can start in the middle. Especially from now on since this and future books in the series will have cliff hanger episodes.

These are not the easiest books to get your hands on. Although they are out in the e-book...more
Krakenfan69
Great as always. The Story just keeps evolving!
Wayne
Another superb installment in the GFL series. To be honest, it was wearing a little thin for the first third of the book, which concerned Quentin investigating his family, and quite a bit of interpersonal character building, which is good and I enjoy, but needed the injection of nitrous that the GFL games provide. However, it progressively built from there until ending in a crescendo unlike any in the series so far! Man, I am ready to continue. The slow start is the reason I did not give it five...more
Avinjer
Third book of the GFL series and the best so far. Follow Quentin Barnes and the Krakens on their quest for the Tier I title. Interesting plot twists, alien cultural dynamics and rivalries and a little subterfuge just for fun. If this is the first you've heard of the GFL series then do yourself a favor and start with The Rookie, then read The Starter before you dive into this one. Trust me, you won't want to put them down and you'll be begging for the next in the series.
Kimberly
Loved this book. I'm a huge fan of the series and was really excited for this year's book to show up. Sigler out did himself and I'm now sitting here facing a LONG year of waiting to find out what happens next in the series. If you haven't read the GFL series - I highly recommend running out and grabbing the Rookie and getting started. With several books left to come in this series, get in NOW.
Gwen
I love love love this series. While the focus is on football, its obvious other elements of the world are important and the world is fabulous.

This might be my favorite in this series, simply because of all the growing Quentin does as a person. I've always found the off field action as interesting as the on field action and its nice to see Quentin start to bridge those worlds.
Reese
By the time I finished the first GFL book I was hooked and I listened to the first three without having to wait for podcast episodes to be released itunes.

I wish I found the series earlier, but discovering it late gave me this treasure trove of audio narrative to gluten myself with.

The book is good and if you have read/listened up to book three, you know you crave more!
Trish
Once again, I find myself indulging in my love of fictional sports and underdogs, and once again Scott Sigler kicks narrative ass, but he leaves us on a cliff-hanger.

It's a real roller-coaster ride for Quarterback Quentin Barnes, and I'm hoping that YA writers everywhere look at this and think about giving their characters this kind of growth.
Stephanie Reese
I love this series! I've had them on my shelf for a while now, but I finally got to them. These are great stories about football, but they have great back stories as well. You end up loving the characters, like Ma and John Tweedy. I look forward to the next installment. Great job, Scott Sigler. These we're a pleasure to read!
Angela
I have the hard copy, but listened to the podcast. It was a fantastic dip into the GFL (Galactic Football League) I did not appreciate the cliffhanging ending, but as I have the next in the series, it is not a terrible thing. I am really liking Quentin Barnes world, and look forward to every new bit.
Trying to find unknown book 1 1 Jul 22, 2014 09:14AM
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • Owner's Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #6)
  • Crescent
  • Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword
  • War
  • Singularity
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • The Immortals
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Jack Wakes Up (Jack Palms, #1)
New York Times best-selling novelist Scott Sigler is author of the INFECTED trilogy (INFECTED, CONTAGIOUS and PANDEMIC), ANCESTOR and NOCTURNAL, hardcover hardcover thrillers from Crown Publishing; and the co-founder of Empty Set Entertainment, which publishes his Galactic Football League series (THE ROOKIE, THE STARTER, THE ALL-PRO and THE MVP).
Before he was published, Scott built a large online...more
More about Scott Sigler...
Infected (Infected, #1) Contagious (Infected, #2) Ancestor Earthcore The Rookie

“Life wasn't about deserving anything. It was about earning everything.” 6 likes
“Did you just smack me in the face with a fish?”

“I did.”

“Why did you just smack me in the face with a fish, Danny?”
3 likes