Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  412 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland began as a tale told by Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson to three young girls (Lorina, Alice, and Edith Liddell) as the group took a rowing expedition up the Thames River. Enthralled by the story, Alice Liddell asked Dodgson to write it down for her, and he eventually did. In 1865, three years after their initial boat trip, Dodgson publish...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Chelsea House Publications

To ask other readers questions about Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Brittany
'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' a.k.a 'Alice in Wonderland' is a 247 paged classical novel written by Lewis Carroll is 1865. The book follows a young girl and the peculiar circumstances she comes by after following a rabbit down a rabbit-hole, leading to a somewhat alternate universe in a sense. I thought that the idea and plot behind the book was extremely original especially taking into account the time period it was released. 'Alice in Wonderland' seems more like something that would have...more
Suzeth
This famous book took me to a different world. I started to imagine things that I couldn't think of. Its amazing. Its about this girl who discovers a new world. She has weird anventures and she tries to scape from them. When you start reading it, you just cant stop. Its super entertaining and fascinating. All in all, this book is a terrific book for people who have a lot of imagination.
Shel
Jul 24, 2009 Shel added it
Carroll, L. (2005). Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. New York: Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.

So, let’s start out with honesty. I was never a big fan of Alice and her adventures as a child. I found the cartoon tense and unnerving—too many “off with her head” declarations. And now, reading it as an adult, I found it…trippy. Too trippy for me.

It begins simply enough. Bored, Alice notices a white rabbit and follows it through a rabbit-hole into a world where she can change her height with...more
Meg
LEAH'S RATING (age 5): *****

LEAH'S REVIEW: I liked this book because we always get to have fun when we read it. It isn't weird because it's how life is--people fight, they blow trumpets like the white rabbit did, and act silly.

LEAH'S FAVORITE QUOTE: "Turn that Dormouse out of court! Suppress him! Pinch him! Off with his whiskers!" (the Queen of Hearts, who else?)

-----------------------------

RAEF'S RATING (age 7): *

RAEF'S REVIEW: I didn't like it cause it was weird.

RAEF'S FAVORITE QUOTE: "No wise...more
Stephanie
My understanding is that this was one of the first real fantasy books for children, and very unconventional in its time because it wasn't particularly didactic and didn't have a lot in the way of morals all of the childrens' stories back then were supposed to have. It's really quite brilliant if you look at it from the perspective of its time period. Linguistically zany, terrifically creative, and even quite funny. Though, personally, it's hard to know quite what to make of it because it's so......more
Natacha Martins
Gostei muito do tom em que todo o livro está escrito, leve e divertido cheio de pormenores que ajudam a criar nas nossas cabeças o mundo maravilhoso onde Alice foi parar quando entrou na toca do coelho. O mais engraçado, é que mesmo sendo tudo tão irreal, não nos custa imaginar que poderia haver algo assim, quase como se todos nós, em crianças lá estivéssemos estado um dia, tal como Alice.
Gostei muito da Alice e não me lembro de a Alice da Disney, ou mesmo da série de desenhos animados (de que t...more
Saundra
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll Fantasy/pre-1920 juvenile
Rating: 3/5 stars
This book was enjoyable, though I think more so after I was able to discuss the meaning and construction of it with others. it is about a young girl named Alice who falls through a rabbit hole and ends up in a magical place she calls "wonderland". While here, her notions on several things, like learning and logic, are challenged. Alice adventures through this world, trying to sort out the different crea...more
Lila
Genre: Old time ‘juvenile’ fiction
Alice is a young girl and bored with her life; she follows a white rabbit down a whole and experiences all sorts of strange things. Throughout the story she seems rather clueless and meandering, yet she is the only source of logic in the setting. Lewis Carroll refers to many political theories and ideas in this book. The tone of the book somewhat reminded me of Gulliver’s Travels, though this book was not so creepy. I enjoyed reading it, though I felt I was miss...more
Anthony Smith
Alice's adventures in Wonderland was a pretty amazing book. The author did a great job with details. He described the characters very well and some of the later versions even have illustrations. This book is not an easy read and some kids may have a hard time reading it. An issue with the story is that there have been many adaptations made. Some being film and they do not directly correspond with the original text. Over all this book is a good read and I would recommend it to children if they ca...more
Olivia
Well the movie's coming out soon so I said I'd read the book first. Though I have seen the Disney movie, the book was good. Followed certain parts well. I can tell though that it also combines things from Through the Looking Glass, another Alice story. It was good, crazy at times but Disney definitely took it to a more fun and obsurd level. Again, I think this opinion is due to seeing the Disney movie first. But all in all, a good fairy tale.
Natty
Although different authors have taken many books of this story, this has definitely been the best. This book is amazing and also really entertaining.The story is about a young girl that goes through weird adventures.Also she discovers a new fantasy world with cats and bunnies that speak..mm pretty well and much more.I recommend this book to the people that like stories about fantasy.Hope you read it c:
Hector Gonzalez
If there is one thing any writer can take from this story, it's imagery. The world of wonderland is vividly and creatively constructed with surreal word play, which bolsters the quality of the reader's perception of the world. This story is so creative that every step of the way is painted without flaw just the way the reader reads it and is able to achieve peak interest in it's reader's mind.
Katielin317
I just read the book that was illustrated by Helen Oxenbury to Emmie and we LOVED the illustrations. ANd Emmie (at 3 1/2) kept up with the story amazingly well. It is a captivating enough story that she remained intertested throughout. However, ALice is incredibly wordy and the story is so terribly random that I was glad to have it finished.
Nancy
It's like listening to someone recount their weird dream. Not really sure why it's so popular, but my 9-year-old daughter found it hilarious as I was reading it aloud to her, so I guess maybe that explains it. There are some clever statements in it, every one of which is included in the Disney movie, so you could just watch that instead.
Gaby Testa
The chesire cat is amazing.
Samantha
I read this because I never had read it before and Andy was assigned this book for class. I wasn't all that impressed with it, and wondered what all the fuss was about. I guess I must be missing something!

I actually read the edition illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, but I'm having a hard time finding it on goodreads.
Tara Lynn
I don't think that there's anything I can possibly say about 'Alice' that hasn't already been said by everyone before. My only note is that I found it hard to enjoy as a child, and didn't actually read 'Alice' or 'Looking Glass' in their entirety until I was an adult. Oddly enough, I loved them then.
Jordan Dossett
Well, what can I say. I got the book on audible.com as I decided I wanted to enjoy some of what I deemed to be the classics and this book took my mind on a magic wonder ride. It was so intense and surreal that I could hardly follow. It was not quiet the Alice & Wonderland that I expected.
Megan
I would have hated this book if I'd read it as a kid. I never liked surreal sort of books, and I would have searched for meaning in this one until I was exhausted and frustrated with it. However, reading it as an adult, I was able to appreciate its humor. I read it through Google Books.
Erika
Aug 09, 2010 Erika rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love weird and wonderful things
I loved this book because it showed me how much detail from the book was included within the film, which I watched years ago as a child. I'm glad that I read it at this age though, because I don't think I would have been able to understand and appreciate the book as much if so.
Nadeem rvk
With the protagonist just thinking and talking to herself in the beginning it didn't get quite a good start but as the story proceeds with its weird characters and their lame lifestyles and stupid thoughts one may as well think it to be weirdoland than wonderland.
Victoria Trifu
Once I began reading more like a Gryphon "No No adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time." And less like a Queen "Even a joke should have some meaning-" I was able to sit back and relax and enjoy the ride down the rabbit hole.
Meghan
As I read this book, I wished I hadn't seen a handful of film adaptations. Lewis Carroll's voice is charming and clever, and my prior knowledge of the story distracted me a little. Still, a lovely book!
Caitlin
Best line of the book,
"But I don't want to go among the mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Lisa Yelenick
Finally read the real version - think I tend to rely on Disney a little too much sometimes - it was a fun and interesting read. And, I finally understand the jabberwocky!
Kaitlin
How unoriginal is it to end books by saying it was all a dream? Okay, so maybe it wasn't so cliche back in the days of Lewis Carroll. But it's still not a great ending.
Brandi Chastain
Haven't read this one since grade school...reading it as an adult, it is a whole new story...loved it again for the second time! Great quick read!
Emma
This book is a bit wonderful. I hadn't read it in forever, but thanks for the handy Classic Books on the DS I got around to reading it once again.
Corey Scala
Always thought Alice in wonderland was creepy. Reading the book confirmed this. I liked the language it was written in and it was kind of cute.
Samantha
This book is complete wonderful nonesense. The movie did a great job of taking elements of the book and twisting them to make an intriguing plot.
  • Clara and Asha
  • Moss Gown
  • Baghead
  • The Viewer
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
Bloom is a literary critic, and currently a Sterling Professor of the Humanities at Yale University. Since the publication of his first book in 1959, Bloom has written more than 20 books of literary criticism, several books discussing religion, and one novel. He has edited hundreds of anthologies.
More about Harold Bloom...
Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle (Modern Critical Interpretations) Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages How to Read and Why Gabriel García Márquez' Love in the Time of Cholera (Modern Critical Interpretations)