Start by marking “Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,430 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland began as a tale told by Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson to three young girls (Lorina, Alice, and Edith Liddell) as the group took a rowing expedition up the Thames River. Enthralled by the story, Alice Liddell asked Dodgson to write it down for her, and he eventually did. In 1865, three years after their initial boat trip, Dodgson publish ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Chelsea House Publications

To ask other readers questions about Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Brittany
Jan 08, 2013 Brittany rated it liked it
'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' a.k.a 'Alice in Wonderland' is a 247 paged classical novel written by Lewis Carroll is 1865. The book follows a young girl and the peculiar circumstances she comes by after following a rabbit down a rabbit-hole, leading to a somewhat alternate universe in a sense. I thought that the idea and plot behind the book was extremely original especially taking into account the time period it was released. 'Alice in Wonderland' seems more like something that would have ...more
Stephanie
Oct 25, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
My understanding is that this was one of the first real fantasy books for children, and very unconventional in its time because it wasn't particularly didactic and didn't have a lot in the way of morals all of the childrens' stories back then were supposed to have. It's really quite brilliant if you look at it from the perspective of its time period. Linguistically zany, terrifically creative, and even quite funny. Though, personally, it's hard to know quite what to make of it because it's so... ...more
Shelley
Dec 29, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
I watched the Disney version of this many a time when I was younger, but have never read the book. Last night undecided about what to read I chose this from my Kindle as I had downloaded it two years ago.

It was amazing, it transports you to such another world. A world where disappearing cats, mad hatters and Queens who play croquet with flamingos exist. I loved it. There were so many parts that had me in hysterics and I didn't think I'd enjoy such an old book. Boy was I wrong.

The tea party sce
Suzeth
Mar 02, 2010 Suzeth rated it it was amazing
This famous book took me to a different world. I started to imagine things that I couldn't think of. Its amazing. Its about this girl who discovers a new world. She has weird anventures and she tries to scape from them. When you start reading it, you just cant stop. Its super entertaining and fascinating. All in all, this book is a terrific book for people who have a lot of imagination.
Kya Missick
Dec 14, 2015 Kya Missick rated it it was amazing
I read this novel between November 2 to November 12. The theme of this book is life is puzzle and sometimes these puzzles don’t have meanings or solutions. In the book, Alice faces lots of puzzles that don’t seem to have a solution. Alice tries to get the Caucus race, Mad Hatter’s riddle, and Queen’s croquet game, but she just doesn’t find a solution, much like real life. A significant quote to back up the theme is “Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle.” It shows the connection bet ...more
Shel
Jul 24, 2009 Shel added it
Carroll, L. (2005). Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. New York: Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.

So, let’s start out with honesty. I was never a big fan of Alice and her adventures as a child. I found the cartoon tense and unnerving—too many “off with her head” declarations. And now, reading it as an adult, I found it…trippy. Too trippy for me.

It begins simply enough. Bored, Alice notices a white rabbit and follows it through a rabbit-hole into a world where she can change her height with
Meg
Apr 17, 2010 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
LEAH'S RATING (age 5): *****

LEAH'S REVIEW: I liked this book because we always get to have fun when we read it. It isn't weird because it's how life is--people fight, they blow trumpets like the white rabbit did, and act silly.

LEAH'S FAVORITE QUOTE: "Turn that Dormouse out of court! Suppress him! Pinch him! Off with his whiskers!" (the Queen of Hearts, who else?)

-----------------------------

RAEF'S RATING (age 7): *

RAEF'S REVIEW: I didn't like it cause it was weird.

RAEF'S FAVORITE QUOTE: "No wise
Kaitlin Humphrey
Jan 08, 2016 Kaitlin Humphrey rated it it was amazing
This story is one of my favorites to read over and over even if it is oddly written. Its not a normal writing style but it is creative and imaginative in many ways. You get to follow young Alice as she ventures through an unknown land and meets strange creatures. She is fearful of a lot of the adventures she gets herself into and tries to escape from such things. It is a really good story for people who enjoy such oddities as talking animals and confusing humans.
Dan
Oct 25, 2015 Dan rated it liked it
After reading this book, I find that I like the folklore surrounding Alice In Wonderland, more than the actual book. In the movie adaptations I have seen, Alice is a young clever girl, in this book she seems flighty and naive. Also my favorite characters are the Mad Hatter and The Cheshire Cat, which make their appearances, but once again I think I just appreciate the liberties that people took with these characters to fill them in and make them more whole and real.
Emily
May 22, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
It was alright. I love the story and I loved the movie but I just felt that it was a little hard to get through. It should've taken a day or maybe two at the most but it took me five just because I couldn't sit down and read it for more than 15 minutes each just because of the sheer confusement of the whole story. I loved the storyline and the writing was alright as well. Just wish I would've been able to finish it faster
Natacha Martins
Jul 12, 2010 Natacha Martins rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2010
Gostei muito do tom em que todo o livro está escrito, leve e divertido cheio de pormenores que ajudam a criar nas nossas cabeças o mundo maravilhoso onde Alice foi parar quando entrou na toca do coelho. O mais engraçado, é que mesmo sendo tudo tão irreal, não nos custa imaginar que poderia haver algo assim, quase como se todos nós, em crianças lá estivéssemos estado um dia, tal como Alice.
Gostei muito da Alice e não me lembro de a Alice da Disney, ou mesmo da série de desenhos animados (de que t
Saundra
Dec 08, 2010 Saundra rated it liked it
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll Fantasy/pre-1920 juvenile
Rating: 3/5 stars
This book was enjoyable, though I think more so after I was able to discuss the meaning and construction of it with others. it is about a young girl named Alice who falls through a rabbit hole and ends up in a magical place she calls "wonderland". While here, her notions on several things, like learning and logic, are challenged. Alice adventures through this world, trying to sort out the different crea
Sabina De Matteo
Nov 06, 2015 Sabina De Matteo rated it really liked it
I wonder what this tale would have been like to read had I never seen the movie! Glad I read this classic
Lila
Dec 09, 2009 Lila rated it liked it
Shelves: english-420
Genre: Old time ‘juvenile’ fiction
Alice is a young girl and bored with her life; she follows a white rabbit down a whole and experiences all sorts of strange things. Throughout the story she seems rather clueless and meandering, yet she is the only source of logic in the setting. Lewis Carroll refers to many political theories and ideas in this book. The tone of the book somewhat reminded me of Gulliver’s Travels, though this book was not so creepy. I enjoyed reading it, though I felt I was miss
Anthony Smith
Apr 12, 2011 Anthony Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-this
Alice's adventures in Wonderland was a pretty amazing book. The author did a great job with details. He described the characters very well and some of the later versions even have illustrations. This book is not an easy read and some kids may have a hard time reading it. An issue with the story is that there have been many adaptations made. Some being film and they do not directly correspond with the original text. Over all this book is a good read and I would recommend it to children if they ca ...more
Charlize
Dec 06, 2015 Charlize rated it really liked it
It has really crazy events happening to alice and it is just a crazy and adventurous book.
Aoi Evans
Oct 25, 2015 Aoi Evans rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books!
Olivia
Well the movie's coming out soon so I said I'd read the book first. Though I have seen the Disney movie, the book was good. Followed certain parts well. I can tell though that it also combines things from Through the Looking Glass, another Alice story. It was good, crazy at times but Disney definitely took it to a more fun and obsurd level. Again, I think this opinion is due to seeing the Disney movie first. But all in all, a good fairy tale.
Natty
Mar 02, 2010 Natty rated it it was amazing
Although different authors have taken many books of this story, this has definitely been the best. This book is amazing and also really entertaining.The story is about a young girl that goes through weird adventures.Also she discovers a new fantasy world with cats and bunnies that speak..mm pretty well and much more.I recommend this book to the people that like stories about fantasy.Hope you read it c:
Lauri B.
Dec 30, 2015 Lauri B. rated it liked it
Hector Gonzalez
If there is one thing any writer can take from this story, it's imagery. The world of wonderland is vividly and creatively constructed with surreal word play, which bolsters the quality of the reader's perception of the world. This story is so creative that every step of the way is painted without flaw just the way the reader reads it and is able to achieve peak interest in it's reader's mind.
Katielin317
Apr 04, 2010 Katielin317 rated it liked it
I just read the book that was illustrated by Helen Oxenbury to Emmie and we LOVED the illustrations. ANd Emmie (at 3 1/2) kept up with the story amazingly well. It is a captivating enough story that she remained intertested throughout. However, ALice is incredibly wordy and the story is so terribly random that I was glad to have it finished.
Nancy
Feb 16, 2009 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-aloud, classics
It's like listening to someone recount their weird dream. Not really sure why it's so popular, but my 9-year-old daughter found it hilarious as I was reading it aloud to her, so I guess maybe that explains it. There are some clever statements in it, every one of which is included in the Disney movie, so you could just watch that instead.
Gaby Testa
Apr 29, 2014 Gaby Testa rated it liked it
Shelves: ok-books
The chesire cat is amazing.
Samantha
Dec 16, 2009 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
I read this because I never had read it before and Andy was assigned this book for class. I wasn't all that impressed with it, and wondered what all the fuss was about. I guess I must be missing something!

I actually read the edition illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, but I'm having a hard time finding it on goodreads.
Tara Lynn
I don't think that there's anything I can possibly say about 'Alice' that hasn't already been said by everyone before. My only note is that I found it hard to enjoy as a child, and didn't actually read 'Alice' or 'Looking Glass' in their entirety until I was an adult. Oddly enough, I loved them then.
Jordan Dossett
Feb 11, 2011 Jordan Dossett rated it it was ok
Well, what can I say. I got the book on audible.com as I decided I wanted to enjoy some of what I deemed to be the classics and this book took my mind on a magic wonder ride. It was so intense and surreal that I could hardly follow. It was not quiet the Alice & Wonderland that I expected.
Megan
May 15, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid, fiction, 2009, fantasy, ebook
I would have hated this book if I'd read it as a kid. I never liked surreal sort of books, and I would have searched for meaning in this one until I was exhausted and frustrated with it. However, reading it as an adult, I was able to appreciate its humor. I read it through Google Books.
Erika
Aug 09, 2010 Erika rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love weird and wonderful things
I loved this book because it showed me how much detail from the book was included within the film, which I watched years ago as a child. I'm glad that I read it at this age though, because I don't think I would have been able to understand and appreciate the book as much if so.
Nadeem rvk
Sep 06, 2012 Nadeem rvk rated it liked it
With the protagonist just thinking and talking to herself in the beginning it didn't get quite a good start but as the story proceeds with its weird characters and their lame lifestyles and stupid thoughts one may as well think it to be weirdoland than wonderland.
The Socratic Salon : Alice in Wonderland 1 9 Aug 09, 2015 04:20PM
  • Clara and Asha
  • Oddest of All (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #3)
  • Moonpowder
  • Spuds
  • Stranger in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy
  • Mathilda and the Orange Balloon
  • Ivanhoe
Bloom is a literary critic, and currently a Sterling Professor of the Humanities at Yale University. Since the publication of his first book in 1959, Bloom has written more than 20 books of literary criticism, several books discussing religion, and one novel. He has edited hundreds of anthologies.
More about Harold Bloom...