Start by marking “Wild Night Is Calling” as Want to Read:
Wild Night Is Calling

Wild Night Is Calling

Wisconsin. Summer. Late at night.

Two teenage girls are picked up by two boys, who invite them back to their place to party.

But an innocent mistake turns the party into a nightmare, where nothing is what it seems...

Wild Night Is Calling is a 6000 word short story by thriller writer J.A. Konrath (Shaken, Trapped) and romantic suspense writer Ann Voss Peterson (A Cop in Her S
Published February 23rd 2011 by Joe Konrath (first published February 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Night Is Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Night Is Calling

Courtnie
I didn't read the synopsis before reading the book as the book is so short to begin with, 30 pages. I didn't really care what the synopsis had to say - what could it say of note really anyway? So I missed the part where one author picks up half-way through where the other left off. And you really feel that, there's a lack of congruency. So much so that the switch half-way doesn't add some unique or sly change of voice or sinister plot twist, it just adds weirdness.

The first part felt clichéd and
This book was cray cray. I think I went in thinking it would be a ghost story and one that would be creepy but you know not scary as all hell. I am pretty sure every book I read set in Wisconsin has crazy stuff go down. I really enjoyed this story... and I found myself screaming run little girl run.

Very good short story that kept me drawn in the entire time. I don't want to write too much about the plot because sadly with short stories that can be very spoilerish.
Eric
Dec 01, 2012 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half was a great set up. The second half was supposed to be a twist, where we reevaluate our assumptions. But it didn't make any sense. Really, the revelations just came out of the blue and were jarring. I didn't get it.
Gerald Rice
It was all right. I didn't expect too much but the end I saw coming. Draculas spoiled me.
Lou
Apr 14, 2011 Lou rated it really liked it
This is a short story of murder involving few people started off ordinarily then took a little turn of surprise.
Lori Thompson
A very short read! Never have been a fan of short stories but read about this as a book with a great twist and creepy. Yes the ending is a twist, but not well worked into the story. And there is some creepy, but not well worked into the story. Sort of felt the author didn't know where else to go with the story and so went.......Shazam! Plot twist! Not my cup of creepy!
Eileen
Oct 25, 2016 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
creepy Halloween novella
Yawatta Hosby
May 13, 2013 Yawatta Hosby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I loved this 2 part book; it was a short story. Hannah and Caitlin decided to ride with Joshua and Zach. It gave me chills when Caitlin and Zach got separated from the other two, and she thought of the ways Zach could be hurting her friend. The scariest things are the ones that can happen in real life. And four drunk people, especially of opposite sexes, can definitely end badly. My favorite line: If Zach hadn’t seemed as surprised as she was by Josh’s sudden exit, she would have to wonder if sp ...more
Nikki Wilde
Apr 07, 2011 Nikki Wilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one kept me guessing for such a long time. Then I was saying to myself, why, why is this happening. Until finally it all came to the conclusion I had yet to guess. What a twisty twisted twist.

Two friends are separated while stupidly agreeing to go to a party with two boys. Desperately trying to find her friend we keep wondering what's going to happen to these girls. So many emotions running through this one. Worry, disgust, concern, and finally you're left wondering, WHAT!?

I enjoyed this sh
Mar 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is a fun, fast paced short story thriller.

The story starts out in typical fashion. Caitlin and Hannah are out celebrating with plans to have a spontaneous evening. When two guys invite them to a party, everything seems to be falling into place.

On the way to the party, however... the couples get separated. Caitlin is alone with a guy who could be dangerous. Hannah needs to find Caitlin.

This story is fast. This story is tense. This story is not typical.
Naomi
Dec 29, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I couldn't figure out where this was going. The twist at the end, bumped it up to 4 stars. This book reminds me of Allan Leverone's Heartless, which was another one with a jaw dropping "WTH???" moment.
Katie
Apr 05, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was a damn good story! When I finished Part 1 I was shocked speechless at the twist. I'd been following along thinking one thing and the facts reversed 180. Then when I finished Part 2 I was even more shocked. this one really kept me off balance. The ending was a bit abrupt--it really left me wanting to read more. I will definitely be buying Flee (the novel this short story was advertising) when it is released.
Michael Mcparland
Jan 10, 2014 Michael Mcparland rated it really liked it
Turn Of Fortune

This a wonderful tale of two girls who went out for a wild night of fun and to cut loose. And so they did. Having an incident with the guys they were to party with they had to take an act of "self defense". When the cops show up though and they try to.pass their tale things don't go as they planned. I highly recommend this fun intense little thriller. Well worth your time and money. J.A. Monarch is a wonderful master of suspense and tight taught story telling.
Ty Hutchinson
Jayme
Nov 24, 2011 Jayme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I will say that this is a much better book than I was thinking it would be. Having read Trapped I wasn't a big fan of Konrath but, I have to say I was wrong. This was a great short story. There are great twists and turns and well worth the Kindle price. Going to give Kilborn/Konrath/Kimball another chance.
Vix
Apr 20, 2012 Vix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant read, as with all of JA Konraths characters you get a great depth and want to know more!
This could easily be expanded and I would love that to happen.
I real thriller that has you on the edge of your seat and then slaps you in the face with a great plot twist!

(to be honest I did not notice the other authors input)
Nyla
Apr 03, 2014 Nyla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love j.a. Konrath's books normally. But this one was short and felt like they rushed passed the story. Loved the ending it was a shocker but wish there was more back story on the character's. Maybe they will make this into a book instead of a short story. That would be better.
Katie Kenig
Sep 29, 2013 Katie Kenig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Two short tales, both kind of gory. Not for the faint of heart, but interesting (particularly the second which seems as though it's an excerpt from an upcoming full length novel... might have to look for that one). Some interesting twists.
Cathy
Feb 07, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it
Not what you're expecting!

Nice little short story before bed...and it's totally not what you think!!
Two young girls decide to celebrate and be a little wild. What could possibly go wrong??
Michele
Well this was a very short story (read it in about 30 mins) and for a short story it was pretty good. But I would love to see this short story turned into a full book! I wanted to know kore about everyone, their personal stories, how they came to be the way they were & what would happen next!!!
Debbie Johansson
A fast paced short story that hooks the reader in from the beginning, yet I would have liked to have found out a bit more about Caitlin and Hannah. Written in two parts, it seamlessly combines the writing of both authors and the twist in the end was certainly unexpected.
Mylene
Feb 04, 2013 Mylene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not sure if you would like Konrath? Try this gem.
Shelves: kilborn-konrath
Great little short story with the kind of twists and turns that I love in a good thriller!
Want a quick read that will keep you guessing? Give this one a try and you will likely become a Konrath fan.
Scot
Jul 29, 2012 Scot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice surprises in store for the reader. I definitely give a book 2 thumbs up when it makes me talk out loud (like I am watching a good horror movie) while I'm reading it. It was a really short but entertaining read!!
Juliette
Apr 14, 2011 Juliette rated it liked it
This reads like a Richard Laymon horror novel, fast paced, strange, and gory. The difference is that Laymon's characters are much more developed (obviously, how much character development can an author do in a short story like this?).
Jade
Oct 11, 2013 Jade rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if my rating is fair. As a short story I suppose it was okay. I just didn't have time to attach to the story or the characters and while it packed a little punch, it was missing that BAM that I think short stories nee to be great.
Krysta Dawn
Oct 30, 2012 Krysta Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like most of Konrath's writing. Especially his short stories. They are witty, clever, scary and straight to the point with a twist.
Cristine
Mar 28, 2013 Cristine rated it did not like it
Didnt like at all.
Wendy Burke
Oct 24, 2012 Wendy Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick fun read with great end twist! LOVIN' JA's humor! And, toss Wisconsin and a Summerfest reference in there, I'm on it!

Of course, reading more Konrath now!
Jon
Dec 12, 2016 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short story that packs two great plot twists into 6000 words. I will definitely look for more of Ann Voss Peterson's work.
Allen
Oct 16, 2013 Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short story, typical Konrath. Good ending. 1 error.
paced reading hor...: The Wild Night is Calling/J.A. Konrath (spoilers) 3 10 Feb 20, 2013 02:00PM
  • Truck Stop
  • Birds of Prey
  • Symbios
  • Faint of Heart
  • Offline
  • Ashes
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...