Wild Night Is Calling

Wild Night Is Calling

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Wisconsin. Summer. Late at night.

Two teenage girls are picked up by two boys, who invite them back to their place to party.

But an innocent mistake turns the party into a nightmare, where nothing is what it seems...

Wild Night Is Calling is a 6000 word short story by thriller writer J.A. Konrath (Shaken, Trapped) and romantic suspense writer Ann Voss Peterson (A Cop in Her S...more
Published February 23rd 2011 by Joe Konrath (first published February 18th 2011)

Lou
This is a short story of murder involving few people started off ordinarily then took a little turn of surprise.
Gerald Rice
It was all right. I didn't expect too much but the end I saw coming. Draculas spoiled me.
Nyla
I love j.a. Konrath's books normally. But this one was short and felt like they rushed passed the story. Loved the ending it was a shocker but wish there was more back story on the character's. Maybe they will make this into a book instead of a short story. That would be better.
Yawatta Hosby
I loved this 2 part book; it was a short story. Hannah and Caitlin decided to ride with Joshua and Zach. It gave me chills when Caitlin and Zach got separated from the other two, and she thought of the ways Zach could be hurting her friend. The scariest things are the ones that can happen in real life. And four drunk people, especially of opposite sexes, can definitely end badly. My favorite line: If Zach hadn’t seemed as surprised as she was by Josh’s sudden exit, she would have to wonder if sp...more
Michael Mcparland
Turn Of Fortune

This a wonderful tale of two girls who went out for a wild night of fun and to cut loose. And so they did. Having an incident with the guys they were to party with they had to take an act of "self defense". When the cops show up though and they try to.pass their tale things don't go as they planned. I highly recommend this fun intense little thriller. Well worth your time and money. J.A. Monarch is a wonderful master of suspense and tight taught story telling.
Nikki Wilde
This one kept me guessing for such a long time. Then I was saying to myself, why, why is this happening. Until finally it all came to the conclusion I had yet to guess. What a twisty twisted twist.

Two friends are separated while stupidly agreeing to go to a party with two boys. Desperately trying to find her friend we keep wondering what's going to happen to these girls. So many emotions running through this one. Worry, disgust, concern, and finally you're left wondering, WHAT!?

I enjoyed this sh...more
This is a fun, fast paced short story thriller.

The story starts out in typical fashion. Caitlin and Hannah are out celebrating with plans to have a spontaneous evening. When two guys invite them to a party, everything seems to be falling into place.

On the way to the party, however... the couples get separated. Caitlin is alone with a guy who could be dangerous. Hannah needs to find Caitlin.

This story is fast. This story is tense. This story is not typical.
Ty Hutchinson
Katie
That was a damn good story! When I finished Part 1 I was shocked speechless at the twist. I'd been following along thinking one thing and the facts reversed 180. Then when I finished Part 2 I was even more shocked. this one really kept me off balance. The ending was a bit abrupt--it really left me wanting to read more. I will definitely be buying Flee (the novel this short story was advertising) when it is released.
Naomi
At first, I couldn't figure out where this was going. The twist at the end, bumped it up to 4 stars. This book reminds me of Allan Leverone's Heartless, which was another one with a jaw dropping "WTH???" moment.
Debbie Johansson
A fast paced short story that hooks the reader in from the beginning, yet I would have liked to have found out a bit more about Caitlin and Hannah. Written in two parts, it seamlessly combines the writing of both authors and the twist in the end was certainly unexpected.
Vix
Brilliant read, as with all of JA Konraths characters you get a great depth and want to know more!
This could easily be expanded and I would love that to happen.
I real thriller that has you on the edge of your seat and then slaps you in the face with a great plot twist!

(to be honest I did not notice the other authors input)
Jayme
Ok, I will say that this is a much better book than I was thinking it would be. Having read Trapped I wasn't a big fan of Konrath but, I have to say I was wrong. This was a great short story. There are great twists and turns and well worth the Kindle price. Going to give Kilborn/Konrath/Kimball another chance.
Michele
Well this was a very short story (read it in about 30 mins) and for a short story it was pretty good. But I would love to see this short story turned into a full book! I wanted to know kore about everyone, their personal stories, how they came to be the way they were & what would happen next!!!
Katie Kenig
Two short tales, both kind of gory. Not for the faint of heart, but interesting (particularly the second which seems as though it's an excerpt from an upcoming full length novel... might have to look for that one). Some interesting twists.
Jade
I'm not sure if my rating is fair. As a short story I suppose it was okay. I just didn't have time to attach to the story or the characters and while it packed a little punch, it was missing that BAM that I think short stories nee to be great.
Juliette
This reads like a Richard Laymon horror novel, fast paced, strange, and gory. The difference is that Laymon's characters are much more developed (obviously, how much character development can an author do in a short story like this?).
Eric
The first half was a great set up. The second half was supposed to be a twist, where we reevaluate our assumptions. But it didn't make any sense. Really, the revelations just came out of the blue and were jarring. I didn't get it.
Scot
Nice surprises in store for the reader. I definitely give a book 2 thumbs up when it makes me talk out loud (like I am watching a good horror movie) while I'm reading it. It was a really short but entertaining read!!
Mylene
Jun 01, 2013 Mylene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not sure if you would like Konrath? Try this gem.
Shelves: kilborn-konrath
Great little short story with the kind of twists and turns that I love in a good thriller!
Want a quick read that will keep you guessing? Give this one a try and you will likely become a Konrath fan.
Edmund Wight
Good story, something about the second half didnt click with me but then it might have just been because of the change in style as the first author handed off to the second. It's a fun read.
Wendy Burke
Quick fun read with great end twist! LOVIN' JA's humor! And, toss Wisconsin and a Summerfest reference in there, I'm on it!

Of course, reading more Konrath now!
J.D.
Short piece, so short review:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Twisty and twisted. Funny in a sick way (yes, that's a compliment.) Definitely worth the download.
Sharon
Mar 17, 2013 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Darlene & Terry
Lots of twists & turns. Kinda funny in a sick sorta way. I think the concept of this short story would have made for a great full length novel.
Krysta Dawn
I like most of Konrath's writing. Especially his short stories. They are witty, clever, scary and straight to the point with a twist.
Kevin  Kempf
I was a bit disappointed. With this one It never really took off, before it ended.
Dawna
short and sweet yet oh so gruesome. In typical Konrath fashion, he is packing a punch a leaving you breathless in the end.
Julia
This short story is co-written I believe and I'm not sure why the co-writer's name isn't coming up.
Blu
Mar 22, 2011 Blu rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Jack Kilborn/J.A. Konrath
Shelves: 2011-reads, kindle, horror
Okay read for a short story.

Reading the excerpt from FLEE and hooked already!
Nena Melendez
Short but good reading to pass the time,looking to read more from the author konrath.
paced reading hor...: The Wild Night is Calling/J.A. Konrath (spoilers) 3 9 Feb 20, 2013 02:00PM
  • Truck Stop
  • Killers: A Psycho Thriller
  • Timecaster
  • Cursed! (With Bonus Material!)
  • Ashes
  • The Night Everything Changed
  • Dark Passage
  • They
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Pushed Too Far
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o...more
More about J.A. Konrath...
Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2) Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3) Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)