Start by marking “I Had a Favorite Dress” as Want to Read:
I Had a Favorite Dress

I Had a Favorite Dress

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Open up a fresh and stylish story about growing up and keeping hold of your favorite memories. As the year passes, the narrator’s favorite dress goes through a series of creative changes, from dress to shirt to tank top to scarf and so on, until all that’s left of it is a good memory. Assisted by her patient and crafty mama, the narrator finds that when disaster strikes he ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Abrams Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Had a Favorite Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Had a Favorite Dress

I Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltTuesday Tucks Me In by Luis Carlos MontalvánSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
58th out of 303 books — 116 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsHooray for Anna Hibiscus! by AtinukeAnna Hibiscus' Song by AtinukeAnna Hibiscus by AtinukeKira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
books about kids of colour
33rd out of 124 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Ann
I loved reading this with my 7 year old. Her comment: "It's really creative!" She was full of smiles as she realized the pattern in the story and started predicting what the little girl would make next out of her favorite dress. And then toward the end, she loved how she couldn't quite predict what she'd make next. After we read it, she wanted to go back and count all the things the little girl made out of her original dress. I also think my daughter could relate to the little girl feeling sad a ...more
Love it! This fun and funky story of a beloved dress outgrown and turned into other bits of girly clothing (including a "tassely scarf") drew my attention because of the breezy illustrations of Julia Denos (Just Being Audrey), but the text is winning as well -- poetic and rhythmic without full-on rhyming. I also appreciate the multicultural characters and the fact that Mom and Grandma are stable and resourceful. A wonderfully updated twist on the Joseph Had a Little Overcoat concept.

Favorite quo
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A girl loves her favorite dress, but it is now too small for her. Her clever mother shapes it into new things the girl can wear. As the girl grows, the dress is transformed into a shirt, then a tank top, then a scarf, then socks, until it finally becomes a beautiful hair bow.

A nice story about using creativity to solve a problem.

“I had a favorite dress that was my favoritest dress ever. I wore it every Tuesday because that was my favorite day of the week.

But one Tuesday, I put on my favorite dre
The narrator in this picture book has a dress that she simply loves to wear, but when it becomes too small for her, her mother fashions it into a ruffly new shirt, then a tank top, a skirt, a scarf, socks, and a hair bow. At first I expected her mother to buy her something new, but I was delighted that mother and daughter found a way to turn something old into something new. I also liked how the daughter cleverly creates something from the remains of the chewed up ribbon in the end. I loved the ...more
Aug 04, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale that documents just how fast our little ones are growing up. Literally.

I can't tell you how many times I've said to my youngest that her pants are now too short for her. Her normal reply is that she doesn't care, but I end up sneaking them into the donation pile as soon as they are washed. Otherwise, she'll just keep wearing them and say that they are 'capris.'

So this was perfect timing for us, seeing how growing out of clothes is normal and that you can repurpose them
4 Kids Books
What do you do when you outgrow your favorite dress? Turn it into something else, of course! As our main character outgrows or tears her favorite outfit, or just needs something new, her mother does a little “Snip, snip! Sew, sew!” and changes it into just what she needs!

This charming picture book will appeal to fashionistas everywhere, but it’s about more than just pretty clothes—it’s about innovation! What really makes the book, though, is Julia Denos’ illustrations. Her unique style with colo
Laura Harrison
Absolutely terrific. Wonderful story with lively, colorful yet soft illustrations. An extremely popular seller in my bookstore.
Lovely both inside and out. A young girl's favorite dress changes with the seasons and her own growing self to become a shirt, a tank, a skirt, a scarf and more. Boni Ashburn's story has a wonderful vibrancy to it, with the repeated refrain of "Snip, snip, sew, sew, new [insert clothing item here] hello!". I also loved the final outcome of the dress, which is sweet and simple. Julia Denos' illustrations are gorgeous and the coloring is divine. I wish I could live in this picture book. And I wish ...more
Lest anybody think I am All Boy All the Time, this great picture book about a style-conscious little girl and her crafty - in both senses of the word - mama almost made me wish I had little girl style crises in my own life. But alas. My boys will wear a pair of pants until it falls apart on them - not because they love those pants but because they have not actually noticed that their butts are visible through the holes in the seat.

Full review at Pink Me:
La Coccinelle
This is another library book that I poached from my mom's stack (the last one being Journey , which was absolutely wonderful). My mom must have great taste in children's picture books, because this one was wonderful, too.

The message about not making mountains out of molehills and learning to adapt and let go when it comes to change is a good one, and it's nice to see it in a picture book for young children. Unlike Maybe: A Little Zen for Little Ones , which I reviewed recently, the message in
I like this story a lot. I like the illustrations, and the writing is very lyrical without actually being verse. There is fun repetition, a nice structure, and overall it's just a cute story. It's also nice to talk about reusing things rather than just trashing them.

The only problem is that there's a disconnect with audience -- this is a book for youngish children; the rhyming, the repetition and the structure are all very young, and I suspect older children would feel talked down to and a bit s
Miss Pippi the Librarian
My first introduction to Boni Ashburn was through her books, Hush, Little Dragon and Over in the Castle. I think they are adorable stories! When I noticed her newest title, I Had a Favorite Hat, Ashburn's name caught my eye. I had no idea she had written this book! Upon looking up the hat book, I saw I had a Favorite Dress. It was originally published in 2011, but Dreamscape Media published an audiobook (and video) editions this year (2015).

I Had a Favorite Dress is a picture book. I think tots
Personally, I found this a bit tiresome to reread over and over, but the kids kept asking for it. The fashion element definitely appealed to them (my nieces insist on wearing beautiful dresses every day) and the pattern storytelling allowed them to try to anticipate what would come next. The illustrations are beautiful - I love how they bring the character and her family to life.
Quite similar to Joseph Had a Little Overcoat, except instead of an older Jewish man doing the repurposing, it's a chic African American pre-tween and her mother who keep getting the most out of a favorite dress. Might be fun to read the two books together.
When a young girl's dress gets too short, voila!, it is made into a shirt. And when that shirt's sleeves get too short, voila!, a tank top ... and so the story goes until nothing remains of the dress. A excellent story showing how one things can be used many times and you shouldn't freak out about things, but figure out a solution.
Cathy Blackler
I love books that have a sewing component, recalling all the times my Mom sewed things for my sister and me.This charming story is a great testament to problem-solving. What happens when your favorite dress gets too short? Creativity and a willingness to make the best of a situation will resonate with readers.
"Just enough to make a story" with a fashionable twist. Stylish and fine.
adorable! Love the illustrations! I want her wardrobe :)
Klaudia Maniakowska
Julia Denos does a beautiful job by using both watercolors and crayons to capture the childishness of the story. The illustrations seem to be drawn by a little girl herself, because they are very messy and full of different items, such as hearts or suns. Apart from being only a must-be for all little “fashionistas” , the picture book might be used for teaching days of the week and seasons, as the protagonist adapts her favorite dress to each day of the week, as well as to the current season. I w ...more
Red Book Buyer
This picture book could have easily been a 5 star if the author used rhyming language. Some of the word choices caused me to stumble when reading aloud to Kindergarten; plus, "favoritest" is hard to say. But otherwise the story is great, the illustrations lovely, and generally is a great example of showing diversity in picture books without changing the meaning of the story (I would have been really annoyed if the girl was blonde/blue-eyed).
I read a similar Jewish story about a boy wearing a blue coat which ended up being a button, then a story. Anyways, it was fun reading this in a different situation which was a dress. I am a girl, so I can understand the sadness when I have to throw away my favorite dress(for my case, maybe... a t-shirt). Julia Denos is my favorite illustrator. She uses many materials in variety of methods and her illustrations are wonderful.
The genre of this book is a picture book. The age group of this book is 4-7. This book is about s girl who had a favorite dress and she wore it everyday of the week. The plot of this story was about a girl who had a favorite dress she liked to wear everyday of the week. But her dress did not last so her mom would think of creative ways to change the dress around so she can still wear it throughtout the week. Her mother mad a skirt, two shirts, socks, scarf, and a bow out of her favorite dress. T ...more
This is a modern version of the traditional overcoat story, which is made into a jacket, then vest, then tie, etc. In this case a little girl's dress goes through several transformations, ending up with pieces of the fabric in a collage picture the girl creates. Nice, exuberant illustrations.
Feb 06, 2014 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: y-childrens
I Had a Favorite Dress by Boni Ashburn

A cute story about a girl that wants to hold on to her favorite dress. It is like her security blanket, it makes her feel happy and safe. But as she grows and it becomes worn out, creative measures have to be taken to keep it useable.

My daughter loves this book. She repeatedly checks it out of the library.
A wonderful mother - daughter story for children in grades PK - 3. It is a wonderful story of a girl who had a favorite dress and as she grew up her dress took on new pieces of fashion. After I read this great picture book I wished I knew how to sew!
I gave this book to my friend who has a baby daughter and a fashionista/crafty wife. I was pleased to see an image of a little girl of color and her mom and it was really cute to see how a little girl's favorite dress could evolve and change as she grows.

Amanda Snow
Review originally posted at

A little girl with a favorite dress discovers what can be made of clothes when we outgrow them. No need to get rid of her favorite dress, she can make it into a t-shirt! And then a tank top, a skirt, etc. If you have a budding fashionista in your house, this is definitely a book to check out!

The illustration are unique, with the artist using a collage-type medium with pencils, paints, and 3D elements and a fun to just look at...I discovered n
This was a cute book! I loved the idea of recycling/upcycling that was carried throughout. The pictures by Ms.Denos are beautiful and carry the words wonderfully.
A very cute book about making the best of things as well as the "use it up, wear it out" mentality. Perfect for any dress-loving girl!
It's hard to let go of our favorite things. Here, the daughter gets something new from what she's outgrown.
  • A House in the Woods
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Crafty Chloe
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Stars
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant
  • These Hands
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
Boni Ashburn is the author of Hush, Little Dragon and I Had A Favorite Dress, as well as several other books for children. Boni lives in the Upper Peninsula Of Michigan with her four children and too many bookshelves to count.

*Please note: I give 5 stars to books I adore and MUST own, 4 stars to books that will stay with me in some way and that I almost-adore, and 3 stars to books I like. Two star
More about Boni Ashburn...