I Had a Favorite Dress

I Had a Favorite Dress

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Open up a fresh and stylish story about growing up and keeping hold of your favorite memories. As the year passes, the narrator’s favorite dress goes through a series of creative changes, from dress to shirt to tank top to scarf and so on, until all that’s left of it is a good memory. Assisted by her patient and crafty mama, the narrator finds that when disaster strikes he...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

Mary Ann
I loved reading this with my 7 year old. Her comment: "It's really creative!" She was full of smiles as she realized the pattern in the story and started predicting what the little girl would make next out of her favorite dress. And then toward the end, she loved how she couldn't quite predict what she'd make next. After we read it, she wanted to go back and count all the things the little girl made out of her original dress. I also think my daughter could relate to the little girl feeling sad a...more
Becky
Love it! This fun and funky story of a beloved dress outgrown and turned into other bits of girly clothing (including a "tassely scarf") drew my attention because of the breezy illustrations of Julia Denos (Just Being Audrey), but the text is winning as well -- poetic and rhythmic without full-on rhyming. I also appreciate the multicultural characters and the fact that Mom and Grandma are stable and resourceful. A wonderfully updated twist on the Joseph Had a Little Overcoat concept.

Favorite quo...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A girl loves her favorite dress, but it is now too small for her. Her clever mother shapes it into new things the girl can wear. As the girl grows, the dress is transformed into a shirt, then a tank top, then a scarf, then socks, until it finally becomes a beautiful hair bow.

A nice story about using creativity to solve a problem.

“I had a favorite dress that was my favoritest dress ever. I wore it every Tuesday because that was my favorite day of the week.

But one Tuesday, I put on my favorite dre...more
Barbara
The narrator in this picture book has a dress that she simply loves to wear, but when it becomes too small for her, her mother fashions it into a ruffly new shirt, then a tank top, a skirt, a scarf, socks, and a hair bow. At first I expected her mother to buy her something new, but I was delighted that mother and daughter found a way to turn something old into something new. I also liked how the daughter cleverly creates something from the remains of the chewed up ribbon in the end. I loved the...more
Dolly
Aug 04, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale that documents just how fast our little ones are growing up. Literally.

I can't tell you how many times I've said to my youngest that her pants are now too short for her. Her normal reply is that she doesn't care, but I end up sneaking them into the donation pile as soon as they are washed. Otherwise, she'll just keep wearing them and say that they are 'capris.'

So this was perfect timing for us, seeing how growing out of clothes is normal and that you can repurpose them...more
4 Kids Books
What do you do when you outgrow your favorite dress? Turn it into something else, of course! As our main character outgrows or tears her favorite outfit, or just needs something new, her mother does a little “Snip, snip! Sew, sew!” and changes it into just what she needs!

This charming picture book will appeal to fashionistas everywhere, but it’s about more than just pretty clothes—it’s about innovation! What really makes the book, though, is Julia Denos’ illustrations. Her unique style with colo...more
Shazzer
Lovely both inside and out. A young girl's favorite dress changes with the seasons and her own growing self to become a shirt, a tank, a skirt, a scarf and more. Boni Ashburn's story has a wonderful vibrancy to it, with the repeated refrain of "Snip, snip, sew, sew, new [insert clothing item here] hello!". I also loved the final outcome of the dress, which is sweet and simple. Julia Denos' illustrations are gorgeous and the coloring is divine. I wish I could live in this picture book. And I wish...more
paula
Lest anybody think I am All Boy All the Time, this great picture book about a style-conscious little girl and her crafty - in both senses of the word - mama almost made me wish I had little girl style crises in my own life. But alas. My boys will wear a pair of pants until it falls apart on them - not because they love those pants but because they have not actually noticed that their butts are visible through the holes in the seat.

Full review at Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Natalie
Quite similar to Joseph Had a Little Overcoat, except instead of an older Jewish man doing the repurposing, it's a chic African American pre-tween and her mother who keep getting the most out of a favorite dress. Might be fun to read the two books together.
Tara
When a young girl's dress gets too short, voila!, it is made into a shirt. And when that shirt's sleeves get too short, voila!, a tank top ... and so the story goes until nothing remains of the dress. A excellent story showing how one things can be used many times and you shouldn't freak out about things, but figure out a solution.
Cathy Blackler
I love books that have a sewing component, recalling all the times my Mom sewed things for my sister and me.This charming story is a great testament to problem-solving. What happens when your favorite dress gets too short? Creativity and a willingness to make the best of a situation will resonate with readers.
GraceAnne
"Just enough to make a story" with a fashionable twist. Stylish and fine.
Heather
adorable! Love the illustrations! I want her wardrobe :)
Nicole
The genre of this book is a picture book. The age group of this book is 4-7. This book is about s girl who had a favorite dress and she wore it everyday of the week. The plot of this story was about a girl who had a favorite dress she liked to wear everyday of the week. But her dress did not last so her mom would think of creative ways to change the dress around so she can still wear it throughtout the week. Her mother mad a skirt, two shirts, socks, scarf, and a bow out of her favorite dress. T...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Feb 06, 2014 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: y-childrens
I Had a Favorite Dress by Boni Ashburn

A cute story about a girl that wants to hold on to her favorite dress. It is like her security blanket, it makes her feel happy and safe. But as she grows and it becomes worn out, creative measures have to be taken to keep it useable.

My daughter loves this book. She repeatedly checks it out of the library.
Amanda Snow
Review originally posted at www.apatchworkofbooks.com

A little girl with a favorite dress discovers what can be made of clothes when we outgrow them. No need to get rid of her favorite dress, she can make it into a t-shirt! And then a tank top, a skirt, etc. If you have a budding fashionista in your house, this is definitely a book to check out!

The illustration are unique, with the artist using a collage-type medium with pencils, paints, and 3D elements and a fun to just look at...I discovered n...more
Katterley
This was a cute book! I loved the idea of recycling/upcycling that was carried throughout. The pictures by Ms.Denos are beautiful and carry the words wonderfully.
Kelsey
A very cute book about making the best of things as well as the "use it up, wear it out" mentality. Perfect for any dress-loving girl!
Sandy Brehl
This is a modern day twist on the traditional "Joseph Had a Little Overcoat" (Simms Taback) or is "Something From Nothing" (Phoebe Gilman). An exuberant young girl adores her frilly pink dress, but eventually outgrows it. In a repeating pattern her mother helps her salvage parts of the dress with a celebratory "snip-snip, sew-sew, new ______, hello!" to its new incarnation as a blouse, tank top, scarf, etc. The lively twist at the end of this version shows the creative girl using the final scrap...more
Brittany Nethers
Adorable book about a girl being attached to an item she's outgrowing. I think we've all been there.
Shelli
Such a sweet story of a girls metamorphosis into a young woman. One day a girl (the story is told through her perspective so she always says "I") realizes her most favorite dress has become too short. With the help of her mothers sewing skills the dress makes several changes of its own. From dress to shirt, to tank top, then several more before ending up a hair accessory. I loved the way that her outfit was repurposed again and again. Her mother teaching her creativity, resourcefulness and thrif...more
June
Dec 17, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: librarians, parents, teachers & the Fancy Nancy fans
A "Joseph Had a Little Overcoat" story for the ballerina girls featuring a Mama trying to convince her daughter to "make molehills out of mountains;" not the other way around. 9/24/11

I had an older girl for PJ Story Time and this was the perfect story. Her father brought up Joseph Had a Little Overcoat, which she didn't remember so we read that too.
Westerville
This fun and funky story of a beloved dress outgrown and turned into other bits of girly clothing (including a "tassely scarf") drew my attention because of the breezy illustrations of Julia Denos (Just Being Audrey), but the text is winning as well -- poetic and rhythmic without full-on rhyming. - Becky, Teen Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Lorelei
We love that this book recommends reuse and repurposing instead of just buying more. And it also promotes staying calm when something we love is somehow unusable for us.
Kelli Bratten
I think that most of the girls in my class would like reading this book because it is talking about clothes and the pictures are very fun and light an focus on the main female character. This book might be better for the students to read on their own but I could also read it aloud for their predictions for what she might do next with her dress and for them to think about how she is solving this problem.
Samantha
I actually thought this was a very nice book. I can easily remember myself altering my own favorite pieces in order to just keep using them: such as my hot pink ankle socks with a white skull wearing a bow on them. I cut them and made them into gloves since a few holes opened around my toes.

This story is excellent for creative young girls who are fond of fashion. =)
Lorna
Where Simms Taback had a Little Overcoat, the girl in this story has a little dress. Her favorite dress. Her creative mother finds ways to repurpose the dress when the girl gets to big for each iteration of the garment. Very creative and beautifully illustrated with a delightful collage of watercolor, pencil sketches, and needle and thread.
Kate McCartney
Have a child who has a favorite piece of clothing? This little girls mother makes sure her daughter's beloved dress never gets thrown away. It becomes just a skirt to a scarf to a hair bow!

I love the illustrations in this. I also love the resourceful mother who keeps that favorite dress a favorite piece in her daughters wardrobe for years.
nicole
Feb 19, 2012 nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Simple story accompanied by beautiful illustrations. A storyteller we've been working with on our financial education for preschooler program tells a variant of this and we just added this title to our collection. I love the emphasis on recycling, extending the life of a physical object you love and the creativity encouraged throughout the tale.
Anne
While too long for a preschool storytime, I can see a lot of older girls enjoying this story. It is a basically a girl-centric version of Joseph Had a Little Overcoat. It could be fun to read aloud before a sewing program.
  • Crafty Chloe
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Another Brother
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Cloudette
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Stars
  • The Cloud Spinner
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Cat Secrets
  • When a Dragon Moves In
Boni Ashburn is a children's book author who spends more time reading and writing children's books every day than she does breathing. She is the author of Hush, Little Dragon, Over At The Castle and I Had A Favorite Dress, as well as several other forthcoming books. Boni lives in the Upper Peninsula Of Michigan with her four children and too many bookshelves to count.

*Please note: I give 5 stars t...more
More about Boni Ashburn...
Hush, Little Dragon Over at the Castle Builder Goose: It's Construction Rhyme Time! The Fort That Jack Built