The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)

The Pardon (Jack Swyteck #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,190 ratings  ·  107 reviews
Jack Swyteck, a brilliant Miami defense attorney has spent years rebelling against his father, Harry, now Florida's governor. Their estrangement seems complete when Harry allows one of Jack's clients -- a man Jack believes is innocent -- to die in the electric chair.

But when a psychopath bent on serving his own twisted version of justice places both Jack and Harry in extre...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 23rd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Pardon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pardon

Tea Jovanović
Za ljubitelje Grišama, Patersona, sjajan autor koji se guta u dahu, nekoliko naslova objavila je Narodna knjiga i kasnije je jedan naslov radio Evro Giunti...
Eric_W
An innocent man is executed, and a guilty man is set free. Grippando gets things off to a fast start.

Jack Swytek is estranged from his father, now the governor, who had been elected on a law-and-order platform, promising to expedite executions. Barely two hours before the electrocution of Fernandez, Jack is visited by a man in a ski mask who, insisting on lawyer-client confidentiality, shows him proof that Fernandez is innocent because he, himself, is the killer.

Jack heads for the governor’s m...more
Dan
The debut novel from an author named as being the next John Grisham. While "The Pardon"'s storyline and quick reading are similar to most of Grisham's work, it's the delivery of the material that reminded me not of Grisham, but of the book "Needful Things" by Stephen King.
James Patterson was quoted as saying that he read this book, all 400 pages, in one sitting; it took me three.
All-in-all, I am impressed with this author and I'm looking forward to reading his next.
Kelly
I have a four month old infant who still gets up in the middle of the night to eat. I have recently read a few books that would almost instantly put me back to sleep. This one however kept my attention even at 4 AM!

I loved the Jack and Harry conflict throughout this book. It is sad to think that a father and son would have such a poor relationship for so long and over such a "silly" thing. However, it really made the story that much more gripping when the "bad guy" played on the damaged relation...more
Brian
Some people say that this author is similar to John Grisham. I don't. I think he is better. This is the fastest I have read a book in a long time. Really good! There are a few unrealistic parts to the story but I believe some of them are made simple just for the readers. All in all a very good read.
MomIsReading
I love the "Jack Swyteck" series. I've read all the books and loved them all. Author is great about getting you to care about Jack and his best friend Theo. They are an unlikely team. I always recommend this series to friends looking for a new series to follow.
Chazzle
I enjoyed it. Strength: Strong, driving plot. Weakness: A little predictable at certain moments. Writing: I liked the writing style. You could really get caught up in the story, and the pages would just fly.
Melissa
Definitely a thriller and one that I could hardly put down. The ending totally ruined everything going for the book. Here are all my gripes.

1. Formatting was off. Typos galore. Words were changed all over the place. Not sure if it was due to bad editing or a bad job of transferring the book to an e pub format. But it got noticeably worse towards the end of the book. One chapter had a glitch on almost every page.

2. The story felt like a John Grisham wanna be and failed very short of that goal. Th...more
Bruce
The Governors phone rings in the early AM the day of a pending execution. Of course, it is someone trying to stop the execution. This time, however, it is the governors estranged son, lawyer Jack Swyteck who claims to know that Raul Fernandez is innocent of the murder he will soon be executed for. But he can't reveal any details, wanting his father to just trust him. Without details, the governor refuses to stay the execution. Two years later, Jack gets a admitted killer off on a technicality. S...more
Rica
Tightly plotted legal thriller (crossed with a serial-killer novel). Courtroom scenes rival Grisham's best; out-of-courtroom action (of which there's plenty) remains believable even when it gets wild. Begs for a movie treatment: the Miami and Key West locations are sumptuously evoked. With one notable exception--a woman whose many illogical actions, though crucial to the story, are never properly explained to my satisfaction--Grippando succeeds in making the main characters' motivations, strengt...more
Jeff Dickison
Well written, fast paced, and about as phony as a three-dollar bill. Such nonsense. The plot depends on the psychotic killer being fiendishly smart (ever met a fiendishly smart psycho killer?) and the two main characters, two lawyers (one a governor no less), being extremely stupid. Unfortuneately I have known stupid lawyers and governors. No believability whatsoever. Too bad, Grippando can obviously write, he just needs to be more believable.
Pat
This is the first James Grippando book I have read and - wow, how gripping. And this is the author's first book! A young lawyer gets caught in a deadly game with an unknown enemy. As he tries to extricate himself his every move seems to just tighten the noose around his neck. More people are sucked into this vortex until it seems there is no escape. The pacing is relentless. I read it in a day.
I first read a book in James Grippando's Jack Swyteck series for my book club last year and really enjoyed it, so I thought I would start at the beginning of the series with The Pardon. This book begins with the execution of a man Jack Swyteck believes is innocent, and after being estranged from his father for several years, Jack ask his father, Governor Harry Swyteck, to grant him a pardon. Now a couple of years later, someone is blackmailing and threatening both Jack and Harry.

The Pardon is ve...more
Scott Bagley
Another strong book. There were some moments (which didn't take away from the good story) which were a little unrealistic. In the book, the main character, a defense lawyer, needs a defense lawyer of his own as he has been indicted for murder. The conversations between the two get a little iffy when the lawyer's lawyer has to explain certain aspects of the law to him. The main character would already know this, it is really for the reading audience. Kind of a catch-22, if you don't explain this,...more
Elizabeth
This is the first of James Grippando's long-running legal thriller series, featuring attorney Jack Swyteck. I came to this first installment late, after reading and enjoying "Last Call."

At times it is obvious this book was written some time ago, as there are references to looking for a payphone and the buzzing that a landline phone left off the hook makes. The pacing is good, making The Pardon a quick and enjoyable read. The ending was a little Lifetime-thriller-movie cheesy, but can be excused,...more
Kevin Bachovchin
Very good book. I enjoyed the courtroom scenes as well as the interplay between Jack Swyteck and his father and Jack Swyteck and his girlfriend.
Marina Zala
** Books 163 - 2014 **

well, in summary it is story about a man named Raul Fernandez who being got death sentenced from Governor Harry Swyteck. however, a day before he got sentenced Jack Swyteck, an freedom institute lawyer come to his dad, harry and convinced him that actually raul is innocent.. unfortunately, his dad not believe at all

two years has passed, suddenly someone framed Jack as the killer of Eddy Goss (his former client) and his girlfriend, cindy also left him.. together with his dad...more
David Burke
Like eating popcorn or potatoe chips. Doesn`t really fil you up or nourish but you keep on eating.
Samantha
Really enjoyed this book especially with this being his debut novel. I thought the idea of putting a pro-death penalty governor against possibly killing his own son was a fascinating plot. I'm not going to give you a plot summary. Amazon and other reviewers have already did that for me. I agree with some other reviewers that it does have some unbelievable plot holes but the writer writes them so well that you will overlook them. I also felt like he tried to wrap it all up in too neat of a packag...more
Mark
Good work for its genre. Grippando takes you through a mysterious set of events which appear to be a revenge motive, but have a terrible twist in the end. Grippando does a good job making characters and plot believable for a story allowing you to visit into their world while reading. The only reason I did not rate this 4 stars was the gratuitous use of sex scenes in the book. I think the plot line and character development could have stood without some of the details provided. I'm not sure I'll...more
Elizabeth
Loving this series! On book 2 now.
Sue Benes
To bylo tak... neuvěřitelně napínavé :o
Ankit Mittal
fast pacedand keeps the reader engaged.
Tiffani Paul
Two words Awesomely Amazing
Nguyen Phuong
a high-concept legal thriller. Two years ago, law-and-order Florida Governor Harry Swyteck rejected estranged son Jack's last-minute plea for a pardon for his client Raul Fernandez, even though Jack swore he'd been visited by a mysterious masked man who presented irrefutable proof that Fernandez was innocent of the sex killing he was charged with. Now a diabolically clever killer--the same masked man?--has planned a meticulous series of crimes with one end.
Suzanne
Dec 31, 2011 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Suzanne by: Murder, Mystery, Magic - Shadow
Shelves: mysteries, thriller
I've heard such good things about James Grippando's work, and while I did like this book, I also felt a tad disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high. I guess my main complaint is that the killer's motive didn't seem that strong, not really strong enough to support all of his actions. The pacing, especially the second half of the book, was very good and I was racing through the book before I needed to leave for my evening.
Mhd
Crimes I don't want in my leisure reading. Too gross and painful to continue. Otherwise, it does seem well written.
Steve
The Pardon is a page turning courtroom thriller. However, a few parts of the storyline really bothered me. There is no way that a governor in the middle of a close election will take off so much time to solve a crime that he had only marginal interest in. He has staff for that. Also, the scene where the eventual villian is captured was just plain unrealistic. I'd give it 2.5 stars if Goodreads would allow it.
Betty
Around the last 75 pages or so, I became convinced that I actually read this probably 15 years ago. But it was good enough that I didn't mind and the reread reintroduced me to Jack Swyteck's backstory. So now I can move on through the series and not have to guess at missing details. Good read, enough so that I didn't mind rereading it, which I normally would.
  • At All Costs
  • Vertical Run
  • Keepsake
  • The Insider
  • The Hidden Man (Jason Kolarich, #1)
  • Surface Tension (Seychelle Sullivan, #1)
  • Compelling Evidence (Paul Madriani, #1)
  • Capitol Murder (Dana Cutler, #3)
  • Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1)
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • Evidence of Murder (Theresa MacLean #2)
  • The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1)
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • Guilt (Abe Glitsky, #2)
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, Book 1)
  • The Inside Ring (Joe DeMarco, #1)
  • The Juror
  • One Last Scream
James Grippando is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty novels of suspense, including 10 in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorny Jack Swyteck. He is also the author of "Leapholes" for young adults. His novels are enjoyed worldwide in twenty-six languages. James was a trial lawyer for twelve years and is now Counsel to one of the nation's leading law firms. He live...more
More about James Grippando...
When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6) Money To Burn Lying With Strangers Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5) Intent To Kill