Start by marking “Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)” as Want to Read:
Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)

Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations #3-4)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  16,477 ratings  ·  732 reviews
A PUPPET IS CROWNED. THE TRUE HEIR REMAINS HIDDEN. A ROGUE'S SECRET COULD CHANGE EVERYTHING.

War has come to Melengar and once more Royce and Hadrian are hired to make a desperate gamble and form an alliance with the Nationalists whom are fighting the Imperialists in the south. As the power of the Nyphron Empire grows, so does Royce's suspicion that the wizard Esrahaddon is
Published 2011 by Orbit (first published April 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of Empire, please sign up.

J. Martin, III I finally started the book, tomorrow. I did finish the short story book and reviewed it, too. :)…moreI finally started the book, tomorrow. I did finish the short story book and reviewed it, too. :)(less)
Dark Passage by M.L. WoolleyWintertide by Michael J. SullivanTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoThe Emerald Storm by Michael J. SullivanNyphron Rising by Michael J. Sullivan
Kindleboards Authors
17th out of 135 books — 95 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Your Top 5 Reads in 2012
89th out of 666 books — 837 voters

More lists with this book...

Conor
4.5 Stars

Rise of Empire was a really enjoyable compilation of Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm, books 3 and 4 in the Riyria series. After a slow start in book 1 this series has really picked up, featuring two likeable protagonists whose characters and backstories were really fleshed out here, a great cast of supporting characters and lots of exciting adventures. This omnibus continues the trend started in book 2 in developing the depth and scope of what was initially a light-hearted fantasy
Armina
Buddy read with Desinka and Gavin

4 STARS

Just like the first book, Theft of Swords, Rise of Empire is two novels in one: Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm. Where the first two novels of the first Omnibus could survive as stand alone stories, tied together with similar backdroppings and continuing elements, Rise of Empire has moved deep into the connecting plot.

In Nyphron Rising , the newly formed Empire, which the Nyphron Church is running in all but name, would like to annex Melengar
Sara Price.
Woo, this book was amazing!! I loved the characters and world and plot and it was just awesome! Highly recommend!
Allison
Edit 11/13/2012:

I'm finally getting back to do a proper review!

I have to say, this installment is far more epic than the first book of the series, and therefore also a little heavier. Although I really enjoyed the light feel of The Crown Conspiracy, I am glad that it's broadening into something deeper. This series is really taking me by surprise and fast becoming a favorite.

Although the epic-ness does make it heavier, I still really don't feel that this series is too depressing, at least so far
seak
Rise of Empire is the second omnibus of The Riyria Revelations, containing books three and four, Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm, in the six book series.

These two books step things up to a new level and I'm excited to see how this will all end. I still can't believe these were independently published and then republished by such as Orbit. They are definitely deserving.

Nyphron Rising

At the end of Avempartha, the Nyphronian church decided that the "heir," and therefore emperor (or empress as
Mike (the Paladin)
Maybe I should set up an "Epic Fantasy" shelf? Not sure if I want to go through my shelves and add another. Whether I do or not I can recommend these heartily.

This is the way I actually read these books, in the "two volume-volume" so to speak. It helps when the books are good to have the next one waiting. That was/is the case here and it's also good to have the 5th and 6th ones waiting, at least it was for me.

While there are a lot of Epic Fantasies now-a-days, there are very few really good one
Sanaa
Overall [4.5 Stars]

Nyphron Rising [4 Stars]
I feel like this series gets better and better with each book! This book made me fall in love with Arista's character, and I just couldn't help rooting for her. She is now one of my all time favorite female characters.

The Emerald Storm [4.5 Stars]
This is by far the best book in the series so far! I loved seeing everyone's character development and all of the world building. I also really enjoyed the awesome high seas adventure! Arista continues to be co
Gavin
This was an omnibus containing both Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm.

Nyphron Rising

This was a fast paced and exciting read. Royce and Hadrian were at their witty best as they accompanied Arista on a diplomatic mission to seek allies against the Imperialists.

I felt Arista really grew and developed into a strong character over the course of this story.

We had a new POV character in the form Amelia. She was the companion of the new Empress Modina. Her storyline was pretty interesting.

Rating
Kaitlin
Nyphron Rising

So this is the third instalment in the Riyria Revelations and I have to say that I fully enjoyed being back in this world and reading this as a buddy read too. I actually managed to fly through this book in only a few hours as it doesn’t even feel like reading it’s just really fun and easy to read through.

This story follows the adventures of Hadrian and Royce from 6 months after the ending of book 2 and we see that not only have they changed a bit as characters but also the world w
Jonathan
As far as recent fantasy titles go this is a fine fantasy novel. However as I was reminded in my literature tutorial today often novels can be caught up by their classification into certain genres. For instance I am often loathe to go near the genre of romance because of the amount of smut that I've noticed often filters through. However I'm sure there are good romance novels out there (look at the classics for instance) but more often many novels have romantic elements in them. As such I want t ...more
Desinka
I liked the third and fourth book of Hadrian and Royce's adventures. The books were just as fats paced and exciting as the previous ones though a bit darker and less humorous.

The third book was the more exciting one for me. I loved having so much of Arista's POV. I also enjoyed her becoming an independent and brave leader. It was also good to see her working in perfect accord with Hadrian and Royce once again. I absolutely loved the unsolved intrigue with the Heir of Novron.

Book four was probab
TS Chan
This is the 2nd omnibus comprising Book 3 and 4 of the Riyria Revelations. I have indicated in my review of the 1st omnibus that the series is showing great promise to go deeper as it progresses, and I was not disappointed at all. I don’t know how this was possible as I believe the books were all written on a stand-alone basis before the omnibus versions came about, but the 2-book bundling just seemed to work perfectly in the way the story progresses, and the titles are just so apt!

Nyphron Risi
Katie.g
As Rise of Empire is a compilation of books three and four in the Riyria Revelations series I will be splitting my review into two sections. Funnily enough, I don't enjoy this series as much as some fans. I feel like there are much better fantasy novels out there but The Riyria Revelations is not without its merit. Hadrian and Royce, our two main protagonists, are consistently strong throughout. Their witty banter and great personalities never failed to make me smile. The secondary characters ar ...more
Kamla
Jun 22, 2012 Kamla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of ‘cloak and dagger’, ‘sword and sorcery’, ‘political intrigue’ and/or ‘heroic duos’
An absolutely engrossing continuation to the The Riyria Revelations series!!

After being thoroughly captivated by Theft of Swords, I had high expectations for The Riyria Revelations series and couldn’t wait to start book 2. Rise of Empire, book 2 in the three book omnibus series, surely delivers with the build up of mystery, suspense and more than a few ‘hold your breath’ moments.

As more kingdoms are swallowed up by the devious machinations and military might of the New Empire and the Church of N
Komal
I need to impress upon those fantasy fans that haven’t picked up this series yet to do so immediately. Riyria Revelation is, by far, one of the most enjoyable collections, not only in this genre, but in all others as well.

(3.5/5)

Where Avempartha had me frowning a bit by diverting from the expectations I held, Nyphron Rising went right back on track. The story was still a bit slow in this one, but the highlight of the journey was Arista. Sullivan had dedicated this book to her. She
Mimi
These two books could easily be called "Searching for Red Herrings"

After a series of major changes in the last book(s), Royce and Hadrian are still pretty much themselves, though grimmer and more exhausted versions of themselves. Both are still working for the Melengar royal family, still sent on dubious quests to save the kingdom while subverting the Nyphron Empire, which sound like a lot but it's all in a days work. The work, however, is beginning to take its toll on both of them. With the wor
Kevin Xu
I don't even know why I picked this book up as my review for Theft of Swords stated that I would never continue on with the series. Well, you know what? I lied, okay. My friend and I were exchanging books, and I was giving many books that he enjoyed, he had nothing I wanted, but he stated he had this book available, and I said that I will give this book a go, after the bad experience with the first book. Well what you know, I should have sticked to my original plan. The problem was that the book ...more
Mark
Enjoyed it but not as much as the first book.

Trouble is not sure why not.

good, well written story, good maturing of the characters.

royce and hadrian good fun, but too lucky or too good to be true.

but I am putting it down to reading too much grimdark these last few years.
Chris
Here I continued my audiobook re-read of the first three books of the Riyria Revelations, giving Nyphron Rising another go. It's funny when I look back on my original review from 2009. Funny how anxious I was to continue with the series, and at how I'm sitting here close to five years later writing down my reaction to that very book.

What the hell happened? Well, to make a boring story short, I fell behind when books 4 and 5 came out. Then I found out that Orbit had bought the series and would be
Julia
This is the second book of the Riyria Revelations.
(Theres two editions of the series - either 3 books with two storys is it, or 6 single story books)

Book 1: "Theft of Swords" (The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha)
Book 2: "Rise of Empire" (Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm)
Book 3: "Heir of Novron (Wintertide and Percepliquis)

So that we got that confusing bit out of the way - off to the story.
I only found out about these books, when I saw the German translation was announced. The story sounded
D.E.M. Emrys
The beast is slain.

The heir is found.

An Empire is born.

Two thieves are in a world of trouble. The kingdom of Melengar stands against the chuch and the new Empire, cornered like a crook in an alley. But, alleys have their shadows, and thieves lurk in the shadows. Royce and Hadrian are back, partners in crime. They’ve escaped a dungeon, stole a Prince, and more besides, but they’re in for their toughest job yet.

Going behind enemy lines is no job for a soldier, but for two thieves…? The only h
Rob
Executive Summary: I think both stories in this omnibus are an improvement over the first two. Both the writing and the character development is better. Can't wait to finish the series.

Audio book: Mr. Reynolds again does an excellent job as a narrator. It wasn't quite as good as the last omnibus, maybe for lack of his dwarven voice. Still, audiobook is the way to go with the series.

Full Review
Since this is an omnibus, I'm going to opt to review each story individually.

So once a
Skip
I wish I head read this sooner after Theft of Swords. Hadrian and Royce must both deal with their pasts in Hintindar and Colnora, respectively, as they battle against the hegemony of evil leaders of the Nyphron Church, who have ordained Thrace (now called Modina) as Empress. Princess Arista really comes into her own in these books as a powerful leader and sorceress. But, it is Hadrian and Royce, whose character and morals, form the core of this truly excellent addition to the fantasy genre.
Natalie Grange
Sword fights, intrigue, armies, pirates, cannibals, love, loss, determination, courage, loyalty, a dog, an elf, unrequited love, sacrifice, and of course hottie swordsmen!!!

Make this into a movie already!!! ;) I can't say enough good about this series! I hope the last book doesn't ruin the awesomeness! A Sci-fi history for those of us who don't have any desire to speak elven! ;)

C.W.
4.5. Though the first book in this bind up - Nyphron Rising - was about the same for me as the previous two books in the first bind up, the second book in this one - The Emerald Storm - was just a whole lot better in almost every way. The story, world building, character development, plot, writing, etc. was just awesome. We finally got to see quite a bit of Hadrian and Royce's POV, got to see Arista really come into her own, and got to see the overarching plot of the series as a whole go in a re ...more
Benjamin Thomas
When I read the first book of this series, Theft of Swords, I felt it was a great fantasy story, full of adventure, etc. but suffering a bit from too many standard fantasy tropes. In my review I had expressed my hope that as the series progresses, we would see the author take a few more chances with his work and let this evolve into the truly epic fantasy story that it could be.

Happily, I am pleased to report that Mr Sullivan has succeeded...in spades! This middle set of the series (actually boo
Ron
Since I read and reviewed Nyphron Rising elsewhere, I'm reviewing only The Emerald Storm here, even though this volume includes both books. I'm giving this story three stars only because Michael is such a great storyteller--and a good guy, too.

Some people like stories that go nowhere. Stories that wander through the countryside or, even better, explore all the corners of the map at the front (or back) of the book. These readers don't particularly care whether anything actually happens in the boo
Doug Bradshaw
***SLIGHT SPOILERS***

I can't say that I liked this better than the first, but I liked it a lot except for one thing: It leaves you totally hanging. Hate that. I wanted a tidy conclusion and the heads of the ne're-do-wells to fly off their shoulders. But no, every bad guy is winning and gloating and our heroes and heroines are locked up ready to be sacrificed.

I love the whole feeling of this world of great history, lost magic that is getting revived, long since hidden cities and heirs to thrones
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Rise of Empire is the second omnibus in The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan, this installment contains the third and fourth books in the series: Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm.

The above blurb describes what Nyphron Rising is about. After events in Avempartha (second book) The Empire has been stablished, slowly they are taking over other kingdoms, just very few are left, one of those is Melengar. The new and young king Alric is not faring well, his decisions are question an
Peonybloomer
Even better than the first book... There's always something happening. I love this series. I like how there are no harsh curse words, and more importantly, no unnecessary sexual scenes compared to other books. Pure, traditional, classic fantasy and fun adventure story. The story is great because there are twists and turns; been shocked on numerous occasions with this book! The fighting scenes were very exciting and well described. One of my favourite parts in the story was the crew trekking thro ...more
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • Tower Lord (Raven's Shadow, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • A Dance of Death (Shadowdance, #3)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
2063919
Be one of the first to read Riyria Chronicele #3

Four-time Goodreads Choice Award Nominee: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014

Michael writes classical fantasy and science fiction with unlikely heroes and epic adventures. His debut series, "The Riyria Revelations" has sold more than half a million English language copies and has been translated into 13 foreign languages.

THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS & CH
More about Michael J. Sullivan...

The Riyria Revelations (6 books)
  • The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6)
Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6) The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles #1) The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)

“Have you ever been in love, Hadrian?”
“I’m not sure. How do you tell?”
“Love? Why, it’s like coming home.”
Hadrian considered the comment.
“What are you thinking?” Bulard asked.
Hadrian shook his head. “Nothing.”
“Yes, you were. What? You can tell me. I’m an excellent repository for secrets. I’ll likely forget, but if I don’t, well, I’m an old man in a remote
jungle. I’m sure to die before I can repeat anything.”
Hadrian smiled, then shrugged. “I was just thinking about the rain.”
19 likes
“You think you’re a very clever fellow, don’t you?” Saldur challenged.
“No, Your Grace,” Merrick replied. “Clever is the man who makes a fortune selling dried-up cows, explaining how it saves the farmers the trouble of getting up every morning to milk them. I’m not clever—I’m a genius.”
17 likes