Start by marking “Citadel” as Want to Read:
Citadel

Citadel (Troy Rising #2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  3,842 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Of all the hosts of Eurotas the Troias were the most fell. For they were born of Winter.

Between the Solar Array Pumped Laser and Troy, the two trillion ton nickel-iron battlestation created by eccentric billionaire Tyler Vernon, Earth has managed to recapture the Sol system from their Horvarth conquerors and begin entering the galactic milieu.

But when the Rangora Empire ra
Published October 25th 2011 by Baen (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Citadel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Citadel

Nathaniel
I had a really hard time waiting for my next Audible credit after I finished Live Free or Die, and in the end I didn't make it. I cracked and bought Citadel knowing that I'd use the next credit to buy the final book in the trilogy, The Hot Gate.

So that's the first thing to know about these books: they're addictive! They're also very, very light reads. They're incredibly heavy on pseudo-technical exposition because (in traditional hard sci-fi style) quite a lot of the plot revolves on a gee-whiz
Text Addict
So I peered into the Bag o’ Library Books and noticed the new John Ringo that I’d passed up a few minutes before. I looked at my spouse: “You got the John Ringo?”

“Sure,” he said. “Why not?”

“I’ve read some of his stuff. It has … explosions.”

He laughed, and I laughed, and later on I read the book, because sometimes explosions are just what a person’s in the mood for.

Actually, you have to wait a while for the explosions in this one, but they do turn up. This book is a big chewy lump of Golden Age s
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit:

Citadel is the second in John Ringo’s TROY RISING series. The first book, Live Free or Die, had an interesting plot that was totally derailed by John Ringo’s intrusive and ugly political views which seem closer to neo-Nazism than anything else. So why did I read Citadel? Only because the audiobook publisher sent me a free copy and, out of a sense of completion, I wanted to review it for FanLit. I was prepared to hate it.

Fortunat
Jonathan

Since Citadel is the second in a series the first question that must be answered is: Is is as good as the first? Well yes and no. In many ways it's better in other's it is worse. Ringo certainly toned down the comedy aspects of the first book and so it was less fun and original as a book. But as a follow up it was still excellent.

Citadel zooms in to focus on a new set of characters who are taking up positions working on the Troy. Which is basically an asteroid hollowed out into a massive battle
Kathy Davie
Second in the military sci-fi series, Troy Rising, Citadel continues the buildup of the battlemoon, Troy. It won its first battle against the Horvath, now we’ll find out how well it can defend Earth against the Rangorans.

I do love Vernon Tyler. He’s the kind of multibillionaire the world wants. More concerned with defending Earth and protecting its people than the bottom line, he still becomes mega-ultra-rich---so take that corporate America! I just love his end-runs around the Establishment…too
Libby
Not too long ago, I reviewed a novel by John Ringo rather harshly. It deserved it. But I'm crazy-happy to tell you that his latest, Citadel, is a rockin', rollin' good read. It gave me several hours of reading bliss, and you can't hardly ask more than that. For those of you who want hard SF with all the nuts and bolts, this is your stuff. Those of you who crave authentic feeling military flavor will be happy, too. Ringo's books frequently draw on his military background and his battle scenes giv ...more
Zivan
In Citadel Ringo takes us down from the executive level to the grunt level.
This is very good as Live Free or Die turned into a long executive meeting towards the end.

The right wing politics are still here, and they can be irritating because there is a clear ideology that is in the right and others that are set up as straw men to be wrong.

Tyler Vernon reminds me of the heiress in Peter F. Hamilton's Greg Mandel books, where a benevolent super rich industrialist guides humanity towards a brighter
Dan McLaughlin
This is more like the good, early John Ringo before he would go on multi-page discourses on the benefits of sadistic sex with 14 year olds (they had been brutalized, so it was OK) or on the wisdom of the Busch Cheney doctrine (we had been brutalized, so it was OK). Instead he takes the conflict down to a more human and approachable level and keeps the politics down to a minimum. He even brings himself to have a character says something nice about the Democrats. Other than writing himself into a ...more
Wesley Edmunds
After reading John Ringo’s Citadel, the sequel to Live Free or Die, there really isn’t overly much I can add to my original review. TLDR; this series is a fun military space opera featuring the Human race as plucky underdogs. Check out the series if you want some good sci-fi entertainment.

This book branches out and follows three different characters from a point just before the end of the first book in the Troy Rising series and then advances the plotline further, plunging Humanity into an all-o
Max Leviton
This is the second in John Ringo's Troy Rising series. It's difficult to read this one without first having finished the original novel. It's definitely doable though a lot of acronyms and references will be completely lost.

Live Free or Die focused on Tyler Vernon and the executive side of the war for Terra. This novel focuses on the grunts for about 90% of the story. Most of the novel is told through the perspective of Dana Parker a newly assigned engineer turned shuttle pilot. Another large ch
Julius Butcher
Watching superhero movies I always wondered what was happening to the side characters. What were they doing while the hero kicked the bad guy's ass? I wanted to watch additional scenes featuring the sidekick or the underdog. In Citadel I got exactly that. We have characters like Dana, the engineer who became a pilot in spite of being shot at by aliens (or maybe because she was shot at). There is Butch the welder, who's main activities were cutting up junks that were alien ships before and trying ...more
Andrew White
Mediocre science fiction wrapped in American Republican sloganeering, with a nice bit of misogyny and mild racism mixed in.
Trey
Second time reading this book. I was kinda bored and in the middle of a much more intense re-read of a series so I thought I'd stop and spend a few days blasting away at freaky looking aliens with the controversial Mr Ringo.

Those who were turned off by the first book's stance on eugenics and the author using the book to express his, often wacko, political beliefs should be mildly happier with this book. The main character, Tyler Vernon, takes a backseat and brings the crazy with him.

For those
Balkron
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read th
Alex
"Citadel" by John Ringo is book two of the SciFi series Troy Rising and it is good. Although it could be read alone and make sense, a lot of the detail that you will find missing are explained in book 1 "Live Free or Die".

The story: In the continuing fight against oppression, the Terran forces must battle the Rangora, who are much more capable than the previous oppressors, the Horvath. The story moves it's focus from Tyler Vernon, who has used his Libertarian philosophy to build a solar super w
Aaron
The entertainment continues in the second book in the Troy Rising series. I was surprised by where the story went, in a good way. This book introduces some new characters to the story. It's not just about Tyler Vernon anymore. We now have a "space welder" and a shuttle pilot to keep track of. Neither of them make any serious contribution to the main plot lines, but one of them is set up at the end of the book for greater things in the future. I'm sure the other will be along soon enough.

The main
Alain
Citadel is the second book in the Troy rising series.
Citadel takes place right after Live free or die. Now the Earth must defend itself against new invasions by the powerful and aggressive Rangoras. This book continues to follow the hero of the Live free or die, Tyler Vernon. But it mostly focuses on two individuals, a shuttle pilot (Dana) and a welder (Butch), both enlisted on the battle station Troy.
Citadel is a very poor follow up of Live free or die. It lacks the humour of the first volume
George
John Ringo's Citadel is surprisingly slow to get going at the beginning, considering that it is a sequel to Live Free or Die and that's because the focus at the beginning is on introducing two new characters to the plot, which does remove the almost complete focus on Tyler Vernon. In addition there are some ignorant errors in the book.

The problem with that is the way they are introduced, through their training, is slow, very technically orientated, and dull. As the story progressed to conflict a
Andrew
In Citadel John Ringo has produced a predictable, but highly satisfying second volume to his Troy Rising trilogy. I've yet to go wrong with a Baen book, and while Citadel is not the best they've ever published, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Citadel is not focused on Tyler Vernon quite as much as the previous book, Live Free or Die. Instead we see the world through at least a half dozen people, a couple more often than others. Dana has the best character arc, while Butch starts off strong and wane
Andreas
The sequel to Live Free or Die continues more or less where the previous book leaves off. Much of it deals with the continuing construction of the Troy battlestation and its first consort. As is typical with Ringo second books in series, the “three stories combined” model of the first book is abandoned and new main characters are introduced, in this case a Navy assault shuttle pilot and a civilian “space welder”. This being Ringo, there is no shortage of battle scenes in the last third of the bo ...more
Nico
So ok, how do I start... well, this was a good continuation to the previous book of the series (to say the least). I really loved the first book, it offered me a fresh perspective of a sci-fi novel from the usual since I have always been searching for a story that involves the development of human tech towards a supposedly more advanced culture, or towards a Type-1 civilization as Michio Kaku once said.

The plot was really good, the story progression is solid, however, there are some major issues
Bryan457
Continuing the story begun in Live Free or Die, Citadel tells of the Rangora invasion of Earth's Glatun trade partners, the continuing rush to get the massive battlestation Troy ready to fight, and the Rangora invasion of Earth.

While the plot did not really move too terribly far in this one, I really enjoyed the tech and world building, and the development of some more of the men and women caught up in Earth's fight for survival.

I wish there had been a little more explanation of some of the thin
Fred
I don't think I'm going to go on to read the third book in this series until there is absolutely nothing else on hand and I already own it if that tells you anything. This series kept coming up on my recommendations on Goodreads under the Military Science Fiction bookshelf. It's like the Tom Clancy version of Military Science Fiction though. Ringo spends page after page talking about the mundane technological workings of fictional equipment and spaceships and garbage. Not a fan. Writing is bette ...more
David Hutchins
Book 2 in John Ringo's Troy Rising series. The first was very funny in explaining how one man became very rich as a result of aliens coming to Earth, and how he devoted his vast fortune to protecting the planet from a malignant interstellar race.

This book dials way back on teh funny but delivers in spades on the continuing epic battle to fight off invaders. Much of the story introduces new characters as they train as techs on the new asteroid/space base Troy.

Look forward to reading book 3 soon.
Benn
The first 120 pages of this book was a complete rehash of events from the previous book. The view has shifted away from the previous book's main character (though he is still a POV character) to two new characters... they are as blue collar as their counter part is rich. The detail of their training is extremely tedious, and doesn't really add depth. What we finally end up with is a Honor Harrington novel.. only not as interesting.
Henry Neufeld
I've enjoyed previous books by John Ringo, especially the Prince Roger series, so when I saw this book at my local public library I grabbed it and read. Of course, I was jumping into the middle of a series, which is generally a bad idea, but that happens to me quite often.

The book starts slowly. In fact, I was beginning to wonder whether Ringo had abandoned action entirely. In the end, however, perseverance paid off, and things got more interesting. Not that the character building isn't interest
Cam
Much more pure entertainment; this second in a trilogy has a lot more action and many more characters who are better drawn than in the first novel. Still not very nuanced; Ringo seems to be more enthused about the military and politics, then technology, then people. Much of the perspective is from the people working within the military or companies involved in the space-based defense of the earth. There's less exposition and lecturing and more action. Still reminds me a lot of 1970's sci-fi or w ...more
Per Gunnar
I found this book at least as enjoyable as the first one. It is true that it takes a good chunk of the book before any real action is taking place but the parts of the story that leads up to that point is still quite enjoyable. I generally do not like sequels which more or less takes the focus away from the main character. For major parts Citadel this is done but it works reasonably well.

The book deals a lot with the science and logistics of building the massive battle stations, of which Troy is
Roy
A John Ringo book is like a bag of potato chips. It's terrible and yes please I'll have some more oh the bag is empty and why does my stomach hurt? It's a story of ridiculously audacious plans that magically work out, conveyed mainly by adding digits to numbers. At one point there's an actual math lesson to help you realize that, yes, the station in the story is big. It's ham-fisted and inelegant.

There are characters, but the story would be better without them.

And I've already started the next b
Meg
If you are thinking about reading this, do yourself a favor and read the first in the series, Live Free or Die. I read this one first, and felt very lost. While a lot some things are explained in detail, there are key pieces that are part of the story that are not explained for people just picking up this book/series.

However, I enjoyed this. The author has created a very detailed and impressive world and generation of not-too-distant future humans. I enjoyed the bits in the Rangora POV when the
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2)
  • Mission of Honor (Honor Harrington, #12)
  • Victorious (The Lost Fleet, #6)
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
  • Better to Beg Forgiveness
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.
More about John Ringo...

Troy Rising (3 books)
  • Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1)
  • The Hot Gate (Troy Rising, #3)
A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War, #1) Gust Front (Posleen War, #2) Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1) When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3) Hell's Faire (Posleen War, #4)