Start by marking “Vampyrdreper (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampyrdreper (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1)

Vampyrdreper (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  111,618 Ratings  ·  4,702 Reviews
‘I don’t date vampires. I kill them.’

My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me the Executioner. What I call them isn’t repeatable.

Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I’ve seen their victims. I carry the scars...

But now a serial killer is murdering vampires – and the most
Paperback, Pocket, 1. opplag, 493 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Cappelen Damm (first published October 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Vampyrdreper, please sign up.

"Kat" Catherine Karena No, it's the first. The first few books of the series are the best. After that she morphs into an incredibly disgusting slut. Don't know what happened…moreNo, it's the first. The first few books of the series are the best. After that she morphs into an incredibly disgusting slut. Don't know what happened to this writer. really good character - that just went wacko. In the end I wanted her killed, I grew to dislike her so much.(less)
Breanna I would recommend Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series as well as her Alpha and Omega series. Mercy's starts off the world that both series are set…moreI would recommend Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series as well as her Alpha and Omega series. Mercy's starts off the world that both series are set in and characters as well as events from one series affect the other. I would check the chronological order of the books from Briggs' website if you want to read them in order. The series are centered around werewolves in the US as well as the other paranormal creatures that share our world. I think I like these even better than the Hamilton's works.

I also really enjoy Simon R Green's series. I have read all of the Nightside series as well as all of the Secret History series. Both series are excellent. Very British spy based stories and they also tie into each other as they are set in the same "world" in Great Britain. These are more the mystery bent of Anita Blake and do not feature were's or vampires but instead use a wide variety of supernatural, paranormal, and techo-babble characters.(less)

Kat Kennedy
Okay, so some of the girls asked that I do a review of the Anita Blake series because I mentioned some things that intrigued them.

It's not a finished series and usually I would reserve judgment on a series until it comes to its conclusion just in case the author was going somewhere I wasn't expecting.

Kind of like that scene out of Austin Powers where Austin's in the bathroom stall with a bad guy and a big Texan man is in the next stall and can only see Austin's feet. He hears Austin Powers grunt
Christine (AR)
Sep 05, 2007 Christine (AR) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
(This is a massive pan. Just a heads-up.)

I've finally given up on this series, though I'm embarrassed to say it took me about ten books to get there.

This is another of those books where I loved the premise, but the execution made me gag. Anita is insufferable, self-centered and judgmental, and her self-justification for her transformation from noli me tangere virgin to super-slut is laughable. (God apparently told her directly that it was okay. Whatever.)

The appeal for me was always Richard th
StoryTellerShannon
Anita Blake is a vampire hunter/slayer among other dealings with the undead/occult and she's only in her early twenties. Story is told in a first person P.I. style which means there's some wry humor as well as a focus totally from the main character's POV.

PROS

(1) Fast read;

(2) Vampires are similar to the legends but have enough unique differences where we are dealing with something new and enticing;

(3) Anita is a nice mix of male and female which means she should appeal to both genders;

(4)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
This book was first published in 1993. And you can tell. But if you can deal with a heroine in Nikes with swooshes color-coordinated to match her socks and penguin tee shirts, these books are great.

The first 10(ish) of them anyway.
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
That was... something. Right, I guess it was ok.

How did vampires become common knowledge? I understand they became legal 2 years prior to the action in the book, but why? How?

description

And who is Anita Blake? I could not connect with her at all. She felt shallow... No, not shallow. I really can't find the word right now... She felt not real, but someone that simply went with the flow, with no actual starting point, or purpose. I would like to say she felt like a character in a book, but I love books, so
Navessa
This book. I loved it the first few times I read it. And then. Not so much. I blame reading Fever right before. Also. There was something. I could not quite put my finger on. At first. What was it? The writing style. Everything was fragmented sentences. And strangely formal speech. Instead of I’m, we get I am. Instead of I’d, we get I would. Every. Time. Even when it does not fit. It is like LKH has not yet met an apostrophe. I am one of those people, you know the ones.

Once I see something, hear
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Feb 09, 2008 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, and I don't say that often
I finally got around to reading Guilty Pleasures, the first Anita Blake book, and can at least see why they're not in the Romance section: it's gory and the author doesn't seem to like vampires at all.

I know Hamilton's very well established and has a huge fan base, and I know there are lots of other people who don't like her books, so I feel pretty confident I'm not going to get lynched by saying I'm glad I only spent $2 on this book.

I really didn't like it. This is partly because I was so often
Bark's Book Nonsense
Reread. Back in the day, when Anita wasn't a power hungry, nympho :(

This book reminds how great the Anita Blake series once was. Here Anita Blake has a job as an animator (raising the dead for information for the police force) and isn't spending any of her time lazing in bed with her posse of wimpy beauteous men, she even has girlfriends and we are introduced to an intriguing character named Edward (I had forgotten all about him!).

This is the book where she meets Jean Claude whose charms she is
CJ
Mar 20, 2008 CJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
The engaging start of a wonderful series that morphs into erotica partway through.

If you like V.I Warshawski, Kinsey Milhone,and other female gumshoes, and you like some fantasy, you will definitely like this series in the beginning. Normal world, normal woman, except that vampires (and other supernatural critters) are real, some have civil rights and coexist with humans more or less peacefully, and the protagonist is a 5'2" gun toting butt kicking necromancer. Her day job is raising the dead f
Adina
Jan 29, 2017 Adina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy-pr
It was ok, I guess.

Before Kate Daniels it was Anita Blake. However, it is one of those rare instances where the copy cat is much better than the original. Anita is a raiser of the undead and killer of vampires. She is coerced to help a powerful vampire queen and to investigate the murder of several powerful vampires. The main problem with the book was its heroine. She was so unlikable, so proud of herself that she does no drink, doesn't have sex and is such a good Christian. Oh, she is so judge
Cassa
If I read "naw" one more time, I'm gonna have to slap a bitch. That has to be, to me, the least intelligent-sounding word to come out of anyone's mouth--doubly so if you're answering your own rhetorical questions, Anita, as though the reader is too stupid to realize that no, the vampire probably won't let you go.

Anita's a stone cold bitch; in all three hundred pages I think the only real concern she had was for a character we barely met whose name I've forgotten. (In fact, this review had one st
Anna
Dec 28, 2007 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans
All of Ms. Hamilton's books have erotic undertones, but this is toward the beginning of the series, before those undertones turned into overtones, sidewaystones, diagonaltones, and all those other tones that we can't discuss in polite society. At this point and through book six or seven, you can still call them action novels, rather than "action" novels, at which point you're just turning the pages thinking MY GOD, WHAT A HORNBALL THIS WOMAN IS.

Anyway, if you like the supernatural and action her
Lianne
Feb 01, 2012 Lianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
This was a complete waste of time. The obscenely poor writing drove me crazy. If it hadn't been a library book, there were several occasions when I would have thrown it across the room. ("Bully...naw...dammit...goosebumps marched up my arms...")

Hamilton never took the time to set up the world we're reading about, or give any sort of motivation to the characters' choices/actions. This was confusing and annoying.

The lazy editing was incredibly distracting; I found at least four typos in the book
Foxy11814
I never really had any intention of reading this series, but a close friend of mine insisted that I buy the first novel when we were roaming the shelves at Barnes and Noble. Yes, the book grabbed my attention, but I'll painfully admit it was because of the subject matter rather than anything truly engaging that the author wrote.

The truth is I don't really care for Anita Blake's character. Anything she takes any time in describing is pure agony reading. Her continuous lectures on guns is annoyin
Argona
I started reading this series long time ago. I Specially have very good memories from reading the first book of this series, which is why I will always cherish these books. But I will not ignore the fact that this series has some serious faults and flaws that in my opinion, are getting out of hand! This series started strong and remained that way for several books but suddenly took a turn for worse.

This series captivated me because of the vampires. I have a thing for vampires and in this series
Jilly
You know when you have someone who is constantly trying to get you to read a certain book because they KNOW you will love it? Well, that is why I decided to read this one. BUT, after I read it and told her that I liked it, she told me that this is NOT the series she was talking about. oops! haha, too bad! I like this one, so far, and now I guess she will have to wait (and nag me) even longer until I get to the series she meant for me to read. (Dark Hunter?)

Also, she warned me to only read this s
Vilda
Re-read: June 13-16, 2016
First read: Date unknown, 2008

"I am The Executioner, and I don't date vampires. I kill them."

Ah, how I've missed the old Anita books! You know those books you that are just kinda perfect to re-read? For me, that is very much this series. It has always been one of my favorites and, in fact, it was one of the first Urban Fantasy series I ever picked up. I love the mixture of mystery/thriller with the paranormal elements. Add some fantastic and lovable characters to the m
pinkgal
Well. I'd made the mistake of picking up one of Laurell K. Hamilton's later Anita Blake books and reading it first. I had to stop halfway because to be frank, it sucked. It really, really sucked. I couldn't believe people were paying money for that garbage. But many of my friends insisted that the first few books of the series were actually pretty good and not quite so wlsh fulfillment-esque. So I read the first book.

... it wasn't bad. In fact, it was a much better scale than her later books. Bu
Donna
Sep 13, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tilly Slaton

Laurell Hamilton was completely new to me. I really wasn’t sure what to expect. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I love her work! I flew through the Anita Blake series. On average, I read a book a day. And on a super lazy day, one and a half.

Guilty Pleasures. Anita Blake. She is an animator. She raises the dead for a living and occasionally consults the new task force that covers all possible paranormal homocides.

Surrounded by monsters, dodging the manipulatice powers that continue to attempt
Ezinwanyi~ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
I have heard about this series as one of the best books in PNR/UF genre. So I avoided it like the plague. A lot of those popular series have a lot of hype and they never live up it. Well this book was one of the pleasant surprises. Guilty Pleasures was engrossing from the first chapter.

Anita Blake, the vampire hunter, was a confident and capable heroine. She lived in St. Louis, Missouri where vampirism was legal. In fact, they were so immersed in society that they had their own churches, strip
Jenn Ropp
May 25, 2008 Jenn Ropp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenn by: Adrian
This series is SO AMAZING!!! It is about a zombie raising/vampire hunter! She is so awesome! She is very tough and reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer only WAY more kick butt and knowledgeable about Vamps! DO NOT read this series if you don't like sex in your books. At first there is no sex, but as the series goes on, there is more and more of it! The stories are so action packed and there are so many twists and turns that you just can't put these books down!! Honestly, I started with book on ...more
Carly
Aug 26, 2013 Carly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of female-lead UF with lots of violence and sexual tension--often together
Recommended to Carly by: Curiosity
**edited 12/15/13

As this is one of the trope-makers for the urban fantasy genre, it was quite interesting to read. Even I found the worldbuilding fascinating. However, I did not enjoy it, and, as usual, I'm going to work off my ill humour by enumerating precisely why. With all my complaints, I do not exactly regret reading this. Hamilton's influence is visible throughout almost all of the books in our current urban fantasy genre, from the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher explicitly acknowledges his de
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This is my first book with this author and I have to say that I really liked the characters and the story. It was a really intense book. Anita is a really tough female or it's like she always says "either I'm tough or just crazy" I think she's both, which is not a bad thing. I saw we can't have one without the other and she had both and she also had a great heart too.

Update
I decided to do a re-read of this book since I wanted to continue the series and needed to refresh my head of what happened
Stephen
1.5 stars. When I picked this book up, I was hoping I had found a new series to dive into. Unfortunately, it was not nearly as good as I was hoping and I do not see myself reading additional books in the series.
Kayleigh
I present to you, a haiku about Guilty Pleasures:

No no no no no.
What the fuck did I just read?
My brain is melting.

Thank you.
Jim
Old review 2007: The world is ours today, except vampires, werewolves & such all exist & are legally recognized. Anita Blake is a tough gal who has a talent for raising zombies. She gets sucked in to paranormal politics & murder mysteries. Great fun to read. I love her character.

This started me & my daughter reading 'Paranormal Romance' (PNR) books & this was one of her best. There are 15 20 or so books in the series & I like the first 5 or 10 the best. After that, Hamilt
Becky
Aug 15, 2008 Becky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Urban Fantasy Aficionados
I remember my best friend reading these years ago, and really enjoying them. Maybe if I had read them then, too, I would have liked it better. Reading it today, it just didn't work for me, and I quit before halfway.

Being that the story is in first person, I expect it to be easy to follow, having access to all of Anita's information and thoughts, etc. Except that it wasn't. Instead of seeing this, or being shown things through Anita's eyes, instead we're told things, and it's like it's too much
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I have to admit that this is my favorite love-to-hate series. It has so many faults it isn't even funny after a point but damn it's addicting. You know you shouldn't, you know it's bad but you still come back for more.

Anita is a dilemma for me. On one hand she is strong, gutsy, snarky enough but not too much. She keeps you entertained. On the other hand she is a prejudiced idiot. She is kind of misogynistic(as the books progress she only gets worse), kind of prudish, a lot of narrow-minded. I ki
Sparrow
This was another . . . book. Things happened in it. And, as a rule, I am in favor of things happening in a book, especially when keeping in mind the alternative. This series seems like it is probably Sookie Stackhouse’s cool aunt, whom Sookie fiercely wishes she could be. Meaning, I like Sookie even less after reading this book. Not that I am in love with this book, but I didn’t hate it at all, and there were a lot of fun things about it. Anita’s hard-boiled-detective attitude was fun. It was ni ...more
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Moon Sworn (Riley Jenson Guardian, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, #7)
  • Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)

“I talk to myself everyone once in a while. Give myself very good advice. Sometimes I even take it.” 500 likes
“Most hatred is based on fear, one way or another. Yeah. I wrapped myself in anger, with a dash of hate, and at the bottom of it all was an icy center of pure terror.” 423 likes