Start by marking “Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life” as Want to Read:
Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life

Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  573 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Published (first published January 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Personal Kanban, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personal Kanban

Terry
My wife is a life-long devotee of Franklin Planners and that has worked well for her, but I've never done well with to-do lists. Since reading this book I've started using a personal Kanban to manage my work at the office and after 3 weeks I now understand why to-do lists never worked for me. My problem is that I can think of 10 things I want to do for every 1 thing I have time to do. With a simple to-do list I soon become overwhelmed by tasks and eventually give up. The Kanban approach allows m ...more
Philippe
I have been experimenting with the Personal Kanban approach for a few months now. All in all it constitutes an important improvement over my previous to-do list-driven routine. I feel I am now managing the balance between short term and longer term goals much more effectively. This book was a lucid and rousing introduction to the approach. I found the authors’ tone of voice very sympathetic: informal but not brazen, inspirational but not overblown. Some reviewers are of the opinion that the book ...more
Patty
This book is a must have for anyone looking to become not only more productive, but also effective, and efficient. Personal Kanban Mapping Work Navigating Life will give you the knowledge needed to understand how to use personal kanban effectively, whether you are a student, professional, or in the home, no matter what your age. You will learn just how Personal Kanban will grow, flow, and evolve just as naturally as you do. This book will be a constant companion. From front cover, to footnotes, ...more
Johanna Rothman
As a consultant, I want the flexibility to adapt my work to take advantage of opportunities that might arise in a given week–to write an article or blog post, or to propose a project to a new client. And, while I try to plan a week’s worth work, I need the flexibility to adapt my work on the fly. I work in small chunks, finishing work. I like seeing completed work. I have a great sense of accomplishment when I see completed work.

Sure, if I have the flu or a tough vertigo attack that lasts a whil
Jeff
Personal Kanban is the McGuffy Reader for anyone wanting to work effectively in the current age. If you take on the practices offered in this book, and *practice them* in your personal and professional life, you'll be taking the first step to transforming your approach doing the greatest work you're capable of.

The gems within this book are the simple practices that make the central concepts real. "Visualize your work" and "limit your work in progress" make a lot of sense, but they're worthless i
Carlos Ramos
It gave some some ideas on how to use kanban in my personal life. I am a software developer, and I started the journey that led me here in "The Goal" (Goldratt), followed by "The Phoenix Project" (novel of theory of constraints applied to information technology). There, a kanban was mentioned.
"The Goal" gave me the idea of 'manage your work' and I started looking for ways to do so in my job (therefore leading to "The Phoenix Project").

With all that in my mind, I started using kanban for the job.
Kathy
As my career hats have increased after my children have grown (didn't see that coming by the way), finding an organizational system is increasingly more important. I'm an Omnifocus success story but find Personal Kanban, a Lean offshoot, compelling for the visual aspect. This book puts the "how" in focus. The writing style is very readable and the reader comes away with an understanding of how to use the system. While the book hasn't convinced me that Personal Kanban is a better tool than Omnifo ...more
Leslie
An excellent introduction to the foundations of kanban and a straightforward application method that you can start using in your personal life right away (I read the whole thing in about 4 hours). This isn't a deep exploration into agile or kanban and that is exactly the point. Jim Benson (the author) gives you just enough to get started and then points the way to more resources at the end.

If you're interested in agile or kanban and don't know anything about either, this is a great introduction
Johnny Graber
I use Kanban for a few years and like the ideas described in Personal Kanban very much. You don’t have to make much ceremony and can get things done far better that with any other method. The Kanban board helps to visualize all the things one should do and pick the items that are the highest priority at the moment. Personal items tend to change their priority much faster than items in a project. The book explains Kanban in the context of personal items very well and with good examples everyone c ...more
Alison
This is a fantastic introduction to Kanban and a wonderful resource on implementing Kanban on a small scale, but the Personal part of the title is a bit misleading. I found it was very good at outlining the concepts and explaining how to implement the system in order to track and visualize your personal work in a business setting.

If you're looking for a book to explain Kanban in your personal life (keeping track of the kids, cooking schedules etc) this book will certainly outline the principles
Naboru
I read this book not expecting much, but I was positively surprised.

While the visualisation techniques of tasks and such aren’t particularly new to me, it was the insight into how it could work in a company that was interesting. This book didn’t give me much as a tool to be more effective, but it showed me what is wrong with my company, and how problems and processes (and therefore people) are treated.

I only give 3 stars, though, because the author repeats himself very often, and I think the boo
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is a decent read on how to apply the Kanban system to your personal workflow, especially considering that when I first heard about Kanban and went to look for books on it, all I could find came out of lean manufacturing. Most helpful in this book are the two simple rules - visualize your work and limit your work-in-progress.

The second most useful part of the book are the examples of how people have made personal Kanban work for them.

Less useful were the chapters trying to make Kanban differ
Steve Holloway
What a fantastic book!

I've read about and tried tens of personal productivity systems. I've tried hundreds of productivity apps. I've done To-Do lists, Eisenhower matrices, GTD; not one of them has worked for me for more than a month. But I've got high hopes for Personal Kanban. Its a simple, visual method, that you can tailor to work for you. Although I've not been doing it for long, the simple kinaesthetic pleasure of moving a sticky note from left to right, from doing to done, makes me want t
Torben Rasmussen
Jim and Tonianne have written a great introduction to the Personal Kanban system for managing work - A dynamic, interactive map of your activities, past, present future, private and professional.

Personal Kanban might be categorised as a productivity tool, but one key tenet of the book is in fact we should strive for being effective, not merely productive.

Mirroring the Kanban Method as formulated by David Andersson, Personal Kanban is deceptively simple with only 2 rules:

* Visualise you work - Wo
John
fresh views on productivity, tasks and work

If you want to do the right work and not just more work, you will appreciate this book. If you are familiar with the psychological work of Maslow and Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, and want to achieve flow/peak experiences, you will love it. Thankfully, after describing the principles of personal kanban the book includes some practical templates for deploying kanbans for different kinds of projects and activities.
bschmoeller
Während viele Kanban aus Produktion und Softwareentwicklung kennen, gehen Jim Bension und Tonianne DeMaria Berry auf die Anwendung im Bereich des Selbstmanagements ein. Ungefähr nach der Hälfte schrieb ich die ersten Doings auf PostIt's und probierte es gleich mal aus ;-)

Erstaunlicherweise lässt sich so auch im Alltag die Durchlaufzeit reduzieren und man hat mehr Zeit für Dinge, die sonst zu kurz kommen. Um nicht immer PostIt's zu kleben, habe ich Apps ausprobiert, die auf meinem Samsung-Tab zwa
Trish
I really wanted to like this book. I love the visual and tactile approach of kanban boards and truly wish they worked for my current life situation, but I find them not very implementable at this point in my life. Definitely an awesome tool to know about though. I highly suggest learning the basics of kanban so that you can use it when appropriate. Just find a better resource to learn it from. This one is 95% fluff.
Alex Strick van Linschoten
Useful and, once again, not too long. Kanban is a slightly different approach to the other dominant system in the 'productivity' world (i.e. David Allen's GTD). There seems to be a lot to recommend it, though in leaving the system flexible it can feel a bit difficult to start with. Nevertheless, this is a really good place to start if you're interested in learning more.
Hunter
The concept of Kanban is a good one, and easily grasped. I actually have worked along these lines for years. Although written well, I found this book a little preachy, and repetitive in trying to prove why personal Kanban is the greatest productivity concept - something that can be picked up in only one of the chapters. The rest can be browsed through.
James Tharpe
This book a decent introduction to Kanban for personal use. If you need to bring order to chaos in your life, this book will help. Other books would probably help more.

The book presents an effective system (Kanban), provides enough information to get started, and presents some good ideas for evolving the system to meet your personal needs. However, the descriptions of the benefits of Kanban vastly outweigh the practical advice. The same few points about reducing "existential overhead" (a term I
Lauren
Looking for a way to get more done, and visualize the work that I'm doing, I decided to give this a go. I dove in, following what the book recommends, and I have a wall full of post it notes to show for it. It's still to be seen if it means I get more done, but I feel hopeful, which is the most you can ask for a system this early into using it.
Bob Wallner
First off, this was the first book I read using Kindle reader so yea me!

I loved the book. As a lean practitioner I am always stressing to make things visual. I am taking the ideas from Personal Kanban and incorporating them into my daily standard work. Although it is too early to say where it will take me, what I have started has taught me a lot.
Mighty Rasing
Personal Kanban is a good book that completes the circle for me. I've read David Allen's Getting Things Done, and do practice the pomodoro technique. The concept of throughput and the core principle of kanban: Limit your Work-in-Progress is a great way to revolutionize how I manage my tasks and my projects.
Victoria
I've used productivity systems before, successfully as a matter of fact. However, Kanban is unique in its simplicity, flexibility, and elegance. Using Kanban effectively replaces overwhelm and chaos with clarity and purpose. I've been trying it for two weeks and plan to keep it up.
Kris
Solid concept but poor delivery

I got some value from this book, but on the whole it wasn't great. The content was often too abstract for too long (read: fluff). The book also felt like it wandered quite a bit. There were times where I'd ask myself, "didn't we cover this already?"
Shawn Camp
I completely see the benefits that this system offers. The book though lacks something that really gets you saying, wow this is the system for me. Maybe it's the enthusiasm or maybe it's the frequent mentions of its benefits over others rather than letting you discover that for yourself.
Tibor Konig
DevOps után Kanban, méghozzá a magánéletben (is) használható változat. Jól követhető, közérthető könyv, az egyetlen hibája (mint minden hasonló kiadványnak), hogy a tényleges tartalomhoz képest kissé hosszú.
Felix
It's a good technique that revisites the to do list that someties get cloggy on our daily basis work activities and introduces a flow concept that evolves from the basic concept of capacity.
Kevin
Excellent overview of using kanban to organize and manage not just your work, but life in general. I plan to review certain sections as my usage of the tool matures.
Sharon
I absolutely love the personal kanban concept and have implemented it in both my personal and work life with great success. I loved the explanation of why you should "pull" tasks.
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Scrumban And Other Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software Development
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking (Silver Anniversary Edition)
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Ship It!
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Adobe Reader)
  • Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life
  • Commitment
  • Software in 30 Days: How Agile Managers Beat the Odds, Delight Their Customers, And Leave Competitors In the Dust
  • Agile Coaching
Why Plans Fail: Cognitive Bias & Decision Making Why Limit WIP (MemeMachine Series Book 2) Kanban: Diversity and Optimization of Knowledge Working Teams (Modus White Papers) The Client Management A3: An Agile | Lean Mashup (Modus White Papers) Real-World AJAX, Secrets of the Masters

“To-do lists: the last bastion for the organizationally damned. They’re the embodiment of evil. They possess us and torment us, controlling what we do, highlighting what we haven’t. They make us feel inadequate, and dismiss our achievements as if they were waste. These insomnia-producing, check-boxing Beelzebubs have intimidated us for too long.” 1 likes
“Personal Kanban is an information radiator for your work. With it, you understand the impacts and context of your work in real-time. This is where linear to-do lists fall short. Static and devoid of context, they remind us to do a certain number of tasks, but don’t show us valuable real-time information necessary for effective decision making.” 0 likes