Start by marking “Forty Beads: The Simple, Sexy Secret for Transforming Your Marriage” as Want to Read:
Forty Beads: The Simple, Sexy Secret for Transforming Your Marriage

Forty Beads: The Simple, Sexy Secret for Transforming Your Marriage

With a hilarious, tell-it-like-it-is, girlfriend-to-girlfriend tone, author Carolyn Evans provides married women with an innovative method that is sure to breathe new life into their marital relationship. The Forty Beads Method works by dissolving the negative tension that builds around sex (specifically, the frequency with which it does or does not occur) and replacing it ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about Forty Beads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forty Beads

Books Ring Mah Bell
Jan 11, 2013 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it it was ok
NO NO NO. NOT those kind of beads.

Sex. Second only to money as a reason for divorce. The author has devised "The 40 Bead Method" as a way for men to get the sex men desperately WANT AND NEED, and women time to mentally prepare for getting laid.

Here is how it works, the wife gives the husband 40 beads, and instructs him that whenever he wants sex, he is to drop a bead into her beadcatcher (a little bowl) she places near her bed. She then has 24 hours to grant him some ass. He cannot be rejected o
Pinsley
Dec 30, 2011 Pinsley rated it it was ok
A friend gave me this book as a ha-ha gift after I (perhaps carelessly) guffawed at its description in a chatty conversation about what was on our 'to-read' lists. The presumption of this book is that wives do not want to have sex with their husbands, which makes their husbands hate them, which - of course - causes all manner of marital unhappiness. The book offers a fix to this grave issue that results in an enviable, deeply connected, union of souls.

It is written for a stereotypical type of wi
Kathleen Riley-Daniels
Jun 01, 2012 Kathleen Riley-Daniels rated it did not like it
Well here we are, I'm reviewing a book that I hoped would be beneficial to marriages. Given all the hype and the interview I saw, I thought this book might have some benefit, so I put it on my library request list and waited for it to arrive. (I am grateful for the library card because I would have been annoyed if I had spent money on this book.)

Kudos on the book cover design though. I looks like a bowl with one bead sitting roughly near the crotch of a woman's body. It is of course a bowl on a
Dlmoore83 Moore
Jul 01, 2011 Dlmoore83 Moore rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
an ultra quick read i stumbled upon a few weeks ago on my ipad. it was okay, fresh ideas for an age old problem - time for your partner and you in the midst of life, family, work, etc. i wish i'd thought of it, packaged it and made a few bucks on it....
Siobhan
Aug 02, 2016 Siobhan rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. I do like the idea of the 40 beads and I am a very sex positive woman. But.....there is so much written in this book that could be called into question! From what she wrote I thought her husband was getting more than he deserved. The idea of the 40 beads is too simplistic. Adult relationships have more going on than hormones and physical parts. A successful marriage is not successful by force feeding sex or trying to be like teen agers again every single time. And to ...more
Ilona
Jul 20, 2016 Ilona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sex-sexuality, 2014
Had I read this book thirty years ago, I'd have been annoyed. Who are these sexually repressed women, I'd have been wondering, who see sex as another chore for the to-do list, a tedious obligation? Had I read it twenty years ago, I'd still have been impatient with it. Even when I had three young children, I never lost my enthusiasm. Sure, I was often tired, but sex was still fun!

That was then.

A few years back, the hormones shifted, and in a matter of months (or maybe a couple of years; hard to
Apr 05, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
I have read books on this subject (coughsexcough) before. I have disliked many (see my review on Sheet Music Uncovering the Secrets of Sexual Intimacy in Marriage and usually it is because they are written from a man's point of view, and a Christian man's at that. As women, we have always been told that some things are our responsibility and other things should be avoided to remain chaste. Rules change in a marriage and partnerships are formed, but many books I have read still place duty, respon ...more
Julie
Jul 01, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I like the idea this book is based on, and admit I'm interested in trying it out. However, as soon as I started reading the intro, I knew I would be skipping a lot in the book.
Am I in the minority of women who find it repulsive for women to cuss like sailors? It's bad enough to hear men talk that way, but women. When I have a conversation with a fellow female, I don't use profanity. Why does the author? I can only assume its because she uses words like this in her everyday life. I, obviously, w
Latasha
I would have enjoyed this book more as advice on how to keep a relationship strong but the author turned it into "women don't put out enough and men only want sex." I know she tries to make it sound as general as possible, but she made men sound like cavemen and women as prudes. The bead method is interesting, nothing really ground-breaking although the author thinks it's just about the most brilliant thing ever. Her perspective was interesting but the overall tone of the book annoyed me. I ...more
Tina
Jul 04, 2011 Tina rated it it was ok
The concept here is to purchase 40 beads and a tiny bowl that you give to your husband. When he wants to have sex he drops a bead in the bowl and you have 24 hours to grant his desire. There is a lot of humor in here, but it really is written for women who have no desire for sex (in my opinion). I really hoped there was going to be more to the book and better ideas for how to ensure you keep the spark and are working on the relationship with some innovative ways to do that. I am sure this book ...more
Shannon
Jul 29, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I have yet to try the Forty Beads method, so I can't comment on the efficacy of the method itself, but I do find myself intrigued and like the book. The author's candor and humor made it very relatable and an enjoyable read. I appreciate the purpose of the method -- to remove some of the pressure to perform when both partners aren't in sync when it comes to being in the mood, and to inject some anticipation, fun and romance back into the relationship. I think the Forty Beads method ...more
Victoria
Aug 20, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: information
I loved the how the book was kept light with humor on a subject that some may have a hard time with. I did not feel it transferred the power of when you had sex to the husband as others may feel but more transferred the power to the wives. As a wife you could make a choice of how and when you would respond to the bead in the next 24 hours. I think the anticipation on both sides would be a bonus. I have to say I have not tried the fifty beads methods but I could see how it could be a new twist on ...more
Marissa
Sep 23, 2011 Marissa rated it it was amazing
I read this book because it sparked my interest, but I thought that it was never something I would actually do. After about half the book, I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of this or done something like this earlier. This book was fantastic and the author was really funny. Very fast read, but left me thinking I should buy it. Excellent for anyone looking to improve or enhance and already great relationship. Highly recommend.
Trish
Jun 02, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just for fun! Saw the interview on the "Today Show". Looked interesting... since our relationship has been tough since Rob has been out of town so much and I've been practically a single mother. I'm presenting my hubby the "forty-five" beads for his birthday tonight!
Chrystal
Nov 30, 2011 Chrystal rated it really liked it
I really loved this book, it was fun and funny. I think it is good for both those who neeed help in their relationships and those who want to add a little fun. I will have to get my own copy and have my husband read it, to see if he wants to play! Thanks to the friend who let me borrow it.
Jenn
Aug 06, 2012 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Totally loved it, happily beading acolyte, to the people who say the book is about women not putting out enough they completely missed the point of this book, author is funny, pointy mouthed, and encouraging, right up my alley.
Marissa
Aug 01, 2015 Marissa rated it did not like it
Although there were some good points about marriage in this book, I found the language to be very offensive and unnecessary. Not everyone would feel this method would work in their marriage. I did not care for this book.
Megan
Jan 07, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth a try!

It was a good quick read and wonderfully simple idea to help you reconnect to your spouse! I didn't realize just how important sex is.
Stephanie Levy
Cute and funny book. Don't know if I will take up The Bead Method but it is a good reminder to make your relationship/sex life a priority and it advises a fun way to do it. Overall, good read.
Val Reilly
Sep 26, 2012 Val Reilly is currently reading it
We are interviewing the author today live online at noon PT/3pmET. Join us to ask questions and share your thoughts! http://www.spreecast.com/events/forty...
Stephany
Aug 01, 2011 Stephany rated it liked it
It was good- had some good ideas and ways to bond couples on a deeper level - but some of it was kind of like, I just felt she was making things up. Still an interesting concept to try.
Christina
Dec 16, 2015 Christina rated it it was ok
All in all I felt like there were less than 10 pages of solid, novel content, with the rest acting as filler.
Cathy Drappier
Jan 20, 2014 Cathy Drappier rated it really liked it
I liked the easy-to-read, conversational style. It has some great ideas on rekindling the physical fire in marriage and we'll see if these ideas work!
Tammy
Overall, I like the ideas in the book and I look forward to implementing them myself. The book would have been nicer without the prolific use of vulgarities, however.
Sue
Aug 25, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
I haven't tried the method yet but I'm intrigued. Who doesn't want to make their marriage even better than it already is? WARNING! She does use a lot of profanity in her writing.
cassie perry
cassie perry rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Andy Norman
Andy Norman rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
V
V rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Natalya M. Barker
Natalya M. Barker rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2016
lilygene
lilygene rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Knitting In the Sun: 32 Projects for Warm Weather
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In
  • Knit, Swirl! Uniquely Flattering, One Piece, One Seam Swirl Jackets
  • Of All the Gin Joints: Stumbling through Hollywood History
  • Bicycles
  • Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Has Turned Men into Boys
  • Final Jeopardy: Man vs. Machine and the Quest to Know Everything
  • Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving
  • The Wet and the Dry: Ventures into Worlds Where Alcohol Is Embraced...or Forbidden
  • The State of Jones
  • The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy
  • End The Struggle And Dance With Life: How To Build Yourself Up When The World Gets You Down
  • Back to Our Future: How the 1980s Explain the World We Live in Now--Our Culture, Our Politics, Our Everything
  • South with the Sun: Roald Amundsen, His Polar Explorations, and the Quest for Discovery
  • New Joy of Sex/More Joy of Sex