Start by marking “The Ends of the Earth” as Want to Read:
The Ends of the Earth

The Ends of the Earth (The ends of the earth #1)

The Arctic and Antarctic ice shelves have been an object of obsession for as long as we've known they existed. Countless explorers, including such legends as Richard Byrd, Ernest Shackleton, and Robert Falcon Scott, have risked their lives to chart their frozen landscapes. Now, for the first time in human history, we are in legitimate danger of seeing polar ice dramaticall ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Ends of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ends of the Earth

David
Oct 01, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fascinating book is an anthology of writings about the Arctic and the Antarctic. Most of the writings are nonfiction, but some are fiction. The author, Elizabeth Kolbert, is really the editor. She wrote a paragraph introduction to each chapter, which helped put the writing into perspective.

Many of the writings were essentially excerpts from diaries of explorers, as they attempted to reach the poles. These diaries are amazing--they detail the incredible hardships that explorers went through
Janie
Mar 22, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure escapism without turning my brain to jelly. These explorers were the first extreme sportsmen, hauling hundreds of pounds of gear over a vast, frozen, unknown landscape, spending 7 sunless weeks stuck in a tent with their comrades. After reading a few excerpts from journals of these explorers, I feel like such a wuss wearing socks to bed when they'd crawled into frozen sleeping bags for a restless night of teeth-chattering. How and why did these guys do what they did, a hundred-plus years ag ...more
Ira Therebel
Just like the book about Antarctic that I just read and reviewed, this book about Antarctic is extraordinary.

An excellent collection that shows us Arctic in different times, when the early discoverers were going to the Pole to today's global warming struggles, and from different sides. We get to read some great fiction writers such as Jack London and Jules Verne and mainly non fiction written by people who went there. Diaries of discoverers, an analysis of a possibility of a murder during an ex
Steven
Jul 22, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My good friend and colleague Donna got me hooked on the idea of reading about cold places during our hot Texas summers. I've always been interested in exploration in general, and summer is the perfect time to be reading about frostbite, glaciers, penguins and polar bears.

The Ends of the Earth is two anthologies of essays about the Arctic and the Antarctic, each collected by separate editors.I believe this also appears in a 2-volume boxed version, but the edition I read had them back-to-back -- o
Shara
Dec 21, 2011 Shara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to start reading about the Arctic/Antarctic for a while. My research has been hampered by the fact that I didn't know where to start (despite the Idiot's Guide sitting on my bookshelf) and just plain laziness. But when I saw this book in Barnes & Nobles' Holiday Catalogue, I knew I had to have it. I marched to the store, found there only copy, and then debated: it's a hard cover, do I really want a hard cover? Then, a magical thing happened: I flipped the book over, and the ...more
Judy
Aug 03, 2015 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I had read many of these before, this is a very accessible way to read excerpts from the work of the great explorers in the early 20th century. It also includes more modern experiences and reflections.
Robin Harvey
Dec 04, 2014 Robin Harvey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic anthology; led me down the rabbit holes, most notably my (not-so) mild obsession with Rockwell Kent.
Ayla
Jan 12, 2011 Ayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Had to return to the library before I had finished even half of it.

This was not a subject I was previously interested in, but picked up the book on a whim thinking that it might offer some surprises. There were plenty of intriguing little stories inside, but I think a longer-format description of these arctic and antarctic adventurers would be more satisfying. Good for an introduction.

Also learned: don't think I'm that fond of Jules Verne, after reading an excerpt of his that's included.
Chris
Feb 16, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the selections from Antartica better than those from The Artic. Perhaps because I read about the southern Pole first? Perhaps the editor, Spofford, had an angle on subject more enjoyable to me than Kolbert, the editor for the North?
Both North and South were mind-expanding reading, though I could have done without the inclusion of the H.P. Lovecraft (which despite what I've said about enjoying the Antartic selections more, did appear in Spofford's selections).
sillypunk
Dec 16, 2015 sillypunk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good but with some boring bits: https://blogendorff.ghost.io/book-rev...
John Benson
I read this book along with its companion book, THE ANTARCTIC: AN ANTHOLOGY. It includes many good writings by early explorers and then includes different pieces of writing from fiction writers who lived in or north of the Arctic Circle and writers on the issues of the day that affect the Arctic. Both are good reads.
Alex Miller
Jan 25, 2015 Alex Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great compilation of stories from the Arctic, ranging from the bold/crazy folks who set out to explore it in the early days to the dismaying level of threats from the modern world threatening the entire region and its people.
Christopher Roth
Apr 02, 2012 Christopher Roth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it five stars if it had included some excerpts from Edgar Allen Poe's Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym. It would have fit nicely with the Lovecraft passages on Antarctica.
Joelle
I picked this up from the library on a whim. It contains short excerpts, so far all from the journals of explorers, on experiences and adventures in the arctic/antarctic.
Einar
Aug 21, 2011 Einar marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Finished the Antarctic book - some fantastic pieces of travel writing. Will get on to the Arctic one soon...
Krysten
note: I only read the half about Antarctica. the Arctic doesn't interest me as much.
Joy
Jan 29, 2009 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I love reading about very cold places.
Gil Reavill
Oct 22, 2008 Gil Reavill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-research
good
Gil Reavill
Good
prinneh
prinneh marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
carol ross
carol ross rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Maurice
Maurice marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Aveigard
Aveigard marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Richard Gay
Richard Gay rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Sarah Trabert
Sarah Trabert marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
  • The Last Gentleman Adventurer: Coming of Age in the Arctic
  • South Pole: An Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the 'Fram', 1910-12
  • An Empire of Ice: Scott, Shackleton, and the Heroic Age of Antarctic Science
  • Fatal Journey: The Final Expedition of Henry Hudson
  • Cold: Adventures in the World's Frozen Places
  • The Ice Balloon: S. A. Andrée and the Heroic Age of Arctic Exploration
  • Ice Blink: The Tragic Fate of Sir John Franklin's Lost Polar Expedition
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • True North: Travels in Arctic Europe
  • The Magnetic North: Notes From The Arctic Circle
  • Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, and Tales
  • Sea Room: An Island Life in the Hebrides
  • Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World
  • The Royal Road to Romance: Travelers' Tales Classics
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • Only the Longest Threads
  • Mormon Country (Second Edition)
  • This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland
Elizabeth Kolbert is a staff writer at The New Yorker. She is the author of Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change and The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History. She lives in Williamstown, Massachusetts, with her husband and children.
More about Elizabeth Kolbert...

The ends of the earth (2 books)
  • The Antarctic: An Anthology