Start by marking “City Numbers” as Want to Read:
City Numbers

City Numbers

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Joanne Schwartz and Matt Beam have discovered numbers in many different forms all over the city. They are on houses and apartment buildings, on store windows and doors, on trucks and garbage bins, on sidewalks and parking spots. They are printed, spray-painted, molded in plastic, chiseled in stone, stamped on vinyl, even torched into metal. We see these numbers, often unco ...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Groundwood Books (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about City Numbers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Numbers

Barbara
Although I'm certainly more a words person than a numbers person, I enjoyed this picture book reminder that numbers are all around us. I don't think it's meant to be a counting book since it goes from zero to twenty and then to a lengthy barcode number and the photos don't show 10 of anything, for instance. But it does raise awareness of the different forms numbers may take, especially in an urban landscape. This title is likely to prompt children to look more carefully at the numbers around the ...more
Elaine Bearden
preSchool - grade school (possibly older for art classes)
This would be a fun book to share and then give the kids cameras to work with to find numbers around the library in unusual places. Like a camera scavenger hunt. I like there are so many sources for the numbers as well as different kinds of numbers - including fractions, barcodes, etc. This author and photographer collaborated on another book, City Alphabet. Awesome!
Mary Lee
I thought this was going to be a pretty photography book, but because there are fractions and decimals (and even a barcode number) the interestingness factor goes way up.

This will be a great book to start a class photography project. Maybe we will collect numbers, but maybe we will collect...who knows what?!?!
Donalyn
An unusual counting book, using found print to show numbers from 1 to 20, with several fractions, decimals, and percents thrown in. I liked the concept of the book, but I am not sure if children would be engaged by it.
M.
Look around yourself and notice the numbers. It may surprise you what you find.
Laurel
Laurel added it
May 08, 2012
Chris Obergfell
Chris Obergfell marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2012
Our Corner Grocery Store Charms and Charm Bracelets: The Complete Guide City Alphabet Pinny in Summer The Legend of the Fog