Start by marking “Book of Tofu” as Want to Read:
Book of Tofu

Book of Tofu

An Incredible Food From The East To Revolutionize Cooking In The West

Amazingly versatile, ideal for weight control, low in saturated fats and cholesterol free, tofu is widely available in America today. This beautifully illustrated book is a complete guide to tofu, its forms, its traditions, including:

250 Gourmet Recipes from East and West -- Soups, Salads, Dressings, Sauc

Published July 12th 1987 by Ballantine Books (first published April 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Tofu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Tofu

Lanny
Jan 17, 2008 Lanny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I should have more books about Tofu. Tofu is cool.
What I think I'd like to have is a history of Tofu..
AJ
Nov 15, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book of Tofu is a great resource for people interested in making their own tofu, soymilk, or pretty much anything made from soybeans. It is quite comprehensive and includes histories of the foods and how they were traditionally made (and how they were made in the "modern" 1970s when the book was written). There are also a bunch of recipes which include not only how to make tofu, soymilk, etc, but what to make with the finished products.

I found this book to be quite good because I am startin
Steve
Feb 13, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
The first half of this book is an account of how the author and his wife, who were hippies during the 1970s, lived in Japan and apprenticed at traditional soy shops. The fascinating account of the history and making of traditional soy foods is enough to justify reading the book alone.

The second half of the book has many wonderful soy recipes. You will learn how to make your own soy milk with nothing but a food processor. How to make your own tofu. How to make your own soy may and other dairy->
Christina
Feb 11, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is so interesting especially for people who are tofu lovers. I love the soy milk recipe it is so quick and easy and delicious. It is so much fresher tasting than what you get at the store. I can also control the sugar content and flavor so it is really fun for me to make. I want to definitely try making my own tofu next should be lots of fun.
Liz
Oct 29, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
If you like cooking with tofu, you'll like this book. If you make tofu at home or have a shop nearby that sells fresh-made tofu, you NEED this book. This is the most thorough English-language cookbook I've found on using up all the varied things that making your own soy milk and tofu create. It has more detail on these subjects than the English-language Japanese cookery books I've read!
Carolyn
Feb 13, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegetarian
I know it's unfair, but I have to take off a star because it is so difficult to find things in the book. It's absolutely packed with recipes and they just run into each other. On the good side, this is the book that taught me how to make my own home-made soy milk and tofu from soybeans.It's a great resource!
captain america
Feb 11, 2014 captain america rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i bought this book when one still had to venture into chinatown to buy tofu. i was 17 and asked the shopkeeper who spoke no english to help me because i didn't know you were allowed to fish your own block of tofu out of the bucket. i was rewarded with the tofu and a hearty round of cantonese curses.
Daniel Jordan
Jul 29, 2008 Daniel Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
recipes for homemade tofu, soymilk, bean curd, and everything soybean related.
amazing book for those interested in soy as a major protein source.
Jen
Jul 17, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A snapshot of an era, seventies hippie food culture but informed by a deep knowledge of Japanese culture. Lots of seemingly useful recipes I will try in the colder months.
John Stepper
Feb 13, 2014 John Stepper rated it really liked it
If you care about tofu - admittedly a big IF! - then this is a very good resource, especially as a primer on how tofu is made and the different approaches, kinds, and by-products.
Heather
Jul 27, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tofu lovers
Another book I started but we kind of drifted away from each other. Maybe I'll come back to it someday.
Karen Baldwin
Karen Baldwin rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Mylène
Mylène rated it really liked it
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Christian
Christian rated it it was ok
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Reuben
Reuben rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Gwenhwyfach
Gwenhwyfach rated it really liked it
Dann Dempsey
Dann Dempsey rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Karen Edwards
Karen Edwards rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Jon Barron
Jon Barron rated it liked it
Lukasz Cieplinski
Lukasz Cieplinski rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
okyrhoe
okyrhoe rated it liked it
lauren
lauren rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2007
Tommy
Tommy rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
tmll
tmll rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Shava Nerad
Shava Nerad rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Patrick Loafman
Patrick Loafman rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Savory Way
  • The Self-Healing Cookbook:  Whole Foods To Balance Body, Mind and Moods
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus