Start by marking “Book of Tofu” as Want to Read:
Book of Tofu

Book of Tofu

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An Incredible Food From The East To Revolutionize Cooking In The West

Amazingly versatile, ideal for weight control, low in saturated fats and cholesterol free, tofu is widely available in America today. This beautifully illustrated book is a complete guide to tofu, its forms, its traditions, including:

250 Gourmet Recipes from East and West -- Soups, Salads, Dressings, Sauc

Published July 12th 1987 by Ballantine Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Tofu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Tofu

Lanny

I should have more books about Tofu. Tofu is cool.
What I think I'd like to have is a history of Tofu..
AJ
The Book of Tofu is a great resource for people interested in making their own tofu, soymilk, or pretty much anything made from soybeans. It is quite comprehensive and includes histories of the foods and how they were traditionally made (and how they were made in the "modern" 1970s when the book was written). There are also a bunch of recipes which include not only how to make tofu, soymilk, etc, but what to make with the finished products.

I found this book to be quite good because I am startin...more
Steve
The first half of this book is an account of how the author and his wife, who were hippies during the 1970s, lived in Japan and apprenticed at traditional soy shops. The fascinating account of the history and making of traditional soy foods is enough to justify reading the book alone.

The second half of the book has many wonderful soy recipes. You will learn how to make your own soy milk with nothing but a food processor. How to make your own tofu. How to make your own soy may and other dairy->soy...more
captain america
i bought this book when one still had to venture into chinatown to buy tofu. i was 17 and asked the shopkeeper who spoke no english to help me because i didn't know you were allowed to fish your own block of tofu out of the bucket. i was rewarded with the tofu and a hearty round of cantonese curses.
Liz
If you like cooking with tofu, you'll like this book. If you make tofu at home or have a shop nearby that sells fresh-made tofu, you NEED this book. This is the most thorough English-language cookbook I've found on using up all the varied things that making your own soy milk and tofu create. It has more detail on these subjects than the English-language Japanese cookery books I've read!
Christina
This book is so interesting especially for people who are tofu lovers. I love the soy milk recipe it is so quick and easy and delicious. It is so much fresher tasting than what you get at the store. I can also control the sugar content and flavor so it is really fun for me to make. I want to definitely try making my own tofu next should be lots of fun.
Carolyn
I know it's unfair, but I have to take off a star because it is so difficult to find things in the book. It's absolutely packed with recipes and they just run into each other. On the good side, this is the book that taught me how to make my own home-made soy milk and tofu from soybeans.It's a great resource!
John Stepper
If you care about tofu - admittedly a big IF! - then this is a very good resource, especially as a primer on how tofu is made and the different approaches, kinds, and by-products.
Jen
A snapshot of an era, seventies hippie food culture but informed by a deep knowledge of Japanese culture. Lots of seemingly useful recipes I will try in the colder months.
Daniel Jordan
recipes for homemade tofu, soymilk, bean curd, and everything soybean related.
amazing book for those interested in soy as a major protein source.
Heather
Jul 27, 2009 Heather rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tofu lovers
Another book I started but we kind of drifted away from each other. Maybe I'll come back to it someday.
Dawn Moe
I never knew Tofu had such power! This book is great so far. Lots of great Tofu recipes!
Mythie
The book that started me on the way to making my own tofu. An inspiration!
Francesca Pronestì
Francesca Pronestì marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Ram
Ram added it
Sep 17, 2014
Cat_ski
Cat_ski marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Kelly Glaze
Kelly Glaze marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Freddy
Freddy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Michael Fogleman
Michael Fogleman marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Book of Miso: Savory, High-Protein Seasoning The Book of Tofu & Miso The Book of Tempeh The Book of Kudzu: A Culinary & Healing Guide The Book of Tempeh: The Delicious, Cholesterol-Free Protein 130 Recipes