Start by marking “The Invisible World: Understanding Angels, Demons, and the Spiritual Realities That Surround Us” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Everybody has one. It’s called a "haunt detector." It’s the little alarm that goes off in our heads whenever we detect that something mysterious or supernatural has occurred. You could be sitting around relaxing one day at home, and for no special reason you start thinking about someone. Maybe you haven’t thought about this person in years. Then the phone rings; you pick i...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Image

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible World

Janalyn Voigt
The title of Anthony Destefano's new release, The Invisible World: Understanding Angels, Demons and the Spiritual Realities That Surround Us would seem to make a grandiose claim. Does this book deliver on its promise?

With an undeniably engaging style, the author gives his take on subjects like premonitions, angels, demons, spiritual warfare, grace, suffering, heaven and hell. While on the whole, this book may inform readers who need to be made aware of spiritual realities (and some points of apo...more
Margaret Lesh
This was a book club choice, otherwise I don't think I would have picked this one up. (Which is why book clubs are a good idea for helping us to stretch beyond our usual repertoire.) I have mixed feelings about Angels All Around Us. Initially, I felt put off by some of the author's descriptions of things such as Heaven and what angels are like. Clearly his descriptions were opinion, yet he wrote them as fact. In many cases he didn't give specific citations, but there is a lengthy bibliography at...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
From our own internal “haunt detectors”, to the innate feeling we sometimes have that there is more to the word than we see, it cannot be denied that a spiritual realm hovers just outside our own periphery. No matter how much we meditate upon His supremacy, our God seems undeniably otherworldly. Because of this, there is a certain sense of comfort in knowing that His supernatural “helpers” exist in our uncertain world.

Accepting the existence of good must allow for the existence of evil as well....more
Jennifer Thompson-thalasinos
I read Angels all Around Us by Anthony DeStefano last year and wasn't that impressed with it. However, the book is on my Facebook, so when I kept reading different things from it periodically I decided to try it again. I realize now that my heart must not have been in the right place, because I loved it!

This book doesn't just deal angels, but demon and the devil, the unseen world, and the war around us. I particularly liked the focus on what the devil wants to do in our world and to us. One of t...more
Elena
"While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen, are temporal; but the things which are not seen, are eternal."

~2 Corinthians 4:18

Many people have the experience of a certain book coming along at just the right time. The Invisible World by Anthony DeStefano was such a book for me. In bringing me back to the basic truths about God and the supernatural it freshened my perspective about earthly events, helping me to once more...more
Kate
DeStefano quotes Einstein, CS Lewis, and Thomas Aquintas; refers to scripture and strings together beautiful phrases and philosophical subject matter like, "superstition of materialism." But this guy is no Peter Kreeft. Looking for Christian conversion, you'll be ridiculed for being short of common sense. DeStefano takes one step toward a logical argument then two steps backward with a concluding line like, "Atheists are silly!" "Just believe."

He explains the basic theology of Christianity : Gra...more
Julie Davis
This book should really have stuck with the original title of Invisible World because it is about much more than angels, although they constitute a decent amount of the content. I found this book very inspirational, to the point that I was jotting down a few things I needed to "fix" in my own spiritual life by the time I was done.

Proper review to come but in the meantime buy it for yourself
Leslie
Much better than his A Travel Guide to Heaven. His theology seems to be a weird hybrid of Catholicism and Evangelical doctrines. His style is simple and easy to read, but it's also simplistic and not deep or challenging.
Theresa
Not what I was expecting. The book was less about angels and demons and more about believing in a spiritual world. The book wasn't bad, but it was a case of preaching to the choir.
Rachel Indihar
I really enjoyed this book. Although the author is Catholic, he writes to a general Christian audience and tries to take into account all denominational differences. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS: DeStefano writes plainly so as to be understand by all readers, no matter where one is on his/her spiritual walk. A new Christian will find this book encouraging and challenging while an older Christian needs the reminders the author gives about the spiritual world. DeStefano challenges the reader to...more
Roberto Mattos
This is a wonderful well-written book by Anthony Destefano. He explains in all details the realm of the spiritual world, using a simple and direct language that even those who never have any contact with the supernatural will start thinking twice on his propositions on how things are organized and how they work. This is exactly my case. I have never heard nor seen spiritual entities of any kind, so for me their existence is just a matter of faith, and Mr. Destefano gave me a boost on my faith on...more
Sharan
I picked this book up because it looked interesting. Who doesn't like reading about the paranormal? I loved his first chapter, mentioning the haunt detector, how we subconsciously believe there is an invisible world; especially how we may say we believe in god but we are ultimately a secular society. I liked how DeStefano related his personal stories, but found the over all content of the book to be lacking.

Do read it if you are looking for modern perspectives in Christian theology. However, as...more
Amber French
“The most important things in life can’t be seen with the eyes. Ideas can’t be seen. Love can’t be seen. Honor can’t be seen. This isn’t a new concept. Judaism and Christianity and Islam and Buddhism and Taoism have all taught for thousands of years that the highest forms of reality are invisible. God is invisible, and he created the universe. Our souls are invisible, and they give life to our bodies. Angels are invisible, and they’re the most powerful of God’s creatures.”

Just as angels are invi...more
Stuart
I received this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for an honest review. I was somewhat excited to receive this book, because of the title. I know that's a little shallow, but I think most Christians have a fascination with angels and the "Invisible World." In fact, the book was originally titled "The Invisible World," and in my opinion that's what the book should have remained titled, as there was only one chapter that dealt with angels.

The book starts off with a chapter...more
Birney Bull
I thought this (audio) book was outstanding. I've already listened to parts of it a second time, and will probably listen to it all straight through again (which is saying something for me). It seems that it is about to be re-released under the new title of "Angels All Around Us: A Sightseeing Guide to the Invisible World." Maybe to reposition it in the market as more of a follow up to his "Guide" to Heaven. (9/7: Oh wait, it's for the paperback release.) I don't know how much, if at all, it has...more
Amy (ArtsyBookishGal)
Angels, demons, the supernatural, and Heaven—whether perusing the YA section (or “the paranormal romance” section as I fondly call it) at a local bookstore, reading countless opinions on whether or not Rob Bell is a universalist who believes there is no hell, or watching Angel (“Buffy: The Vampire Slayer” spin-off starring “Bones’” David Boreanaz), everyone is searching for information on what else is “out there.” Author Anthony DeStefano attempts to put a Judeo-Christian spin on the supernatura...more
Wyndy
This was an excellent easy-to-read book about the world around us that contains the angels, why some of them are demons, and how we should interact with them. Although I did not agree with all of Mr. DeStefano's theology, I certainly learned some aspects that I either hadn't come across before or hadn't viewed in that way. I believe that anyone of any religious persuasion or non-beliefs would find the book interesting and challenging. It wasn't full of little anecdotal angel stories, nor was it...more
Olivia
I found this book extremely insightful. I really enjoyed the unique perspective the Author gave on the Spiritual world. Some may feel that the Author should have added more scripture, but I strongly disagree. This book is made to reach people of many different faiths and religions, and I feel it does a proper job of that. that being said, I do with that the Author would have added some footnotes on where some of his examples came from.
Over all, this is a book I would recommend to any person who...more
Dillon
This book was very interesting. It made me think about angels and demons in ways I have never thought about before. This book really opened my eyes to the invisible spiritual world that exists all around us. Of course you can't take everything at face value since this isn't the Bible, but it does reference verses in the Bible frequently to make a strong case for what is being said throughout this book. Very thought provoking.
Bill Tillman
Whew! This is a prequel to the popular Threshold Series by Christa Kinde, Angels All Around is an illustrated short story set in a small town where not everyone is what they seem. The angels are invisible to normal humans as are the dark guys. The feeling of the book is one of being revved up, everything happens very quickly, don't and turn to the next page.
Marcela Sara
I received this book from a First Reads Giveaway. I have my own faith, however I love learning about others perspectives and ideas. I thought this book would be uplifting and inspiring, but I often found myself insulted. There was too much preaching within this book and it was very hard for me to get through.
Erik
This book did not grab me quite as much as his others (Tour Guide to Heaven and Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To), but it was good nevertheless. His great optimism and faith shine through. I hope this one sticks in my head, as my greatest failings are the things I do when "no one is looking".
Sara Franco-bruce
This book gives many examples and strives to help the reader to understand the mysteries of the invisible world. It talks about the begging of humans and the fall of the angels from heaven and explains them. The writer even gives personal examples of his to help the reader understand.
Lana Bradstream
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up to help me with research for a book series that I am writing about angels and fallen angels. Not only did this book give me some wonderful ideas to use, but it also inspired me and gave me a better understanding of God.
Keyanna
This book was more about the invisible world around us than it was about angels. It was a good read with just enough info to keep you interested.
Vdelisa
"If you are suffering in any way right now, one of the reasons God is permitting it is because he wants you to change." page 343
Wendy Hein
Well written...loved some of the metaphors & use of descriptions in this book....loved it, recommend it & will read again!!
Debbi Vogt
Easy to read and explains so much in such simple terms, loved this book!
Regina Hunter
Only part I liked is the choice of quotations.
Donna
I listen to this audiobook often. Just love it!
Anthony DeStefano is the bestselling author of A Travel Guide to Heaven, Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To, Angels All Around Us, and the children's books, This Little Prayer of Mine, Little Star, The Donkey that No One Could Ride, and gift book, I Just Can't Take it Anymore. He has received many prestigious awards from religious organizations worldwide for his efforts to advance Christian belief...more
More about Anthony DeStefano...
Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine Answers to Life's Most Difficult Problems A Travel Guide to Heaven Little Star The Donkey That No One Could Ride Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes to