Start by marking “God Loves Ugly” as Want to Read:
God Loves Ugly

God Loves Ugly

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  268 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
DO YOU EVER LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND HATE WHAT YOU SEE? Your eyes can lie. Rejection, shame, and self-hatred can poison perceptions and hinder us from seeing and believing what's actually true. In GOD LOVES UGLY Christa Black shares her personal victory against powerful adversaries--her thoughts, feelings, and reflection. From world-touring stadium performer to rehab-bound b ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published March 3rd 2011 by Gifford Publishing (first published November 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about God Loves Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Loves Ugly

Prajna
Sep 02, 2013 Prajna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books
I bought this book after seeing Christa Black at the Revolve Tour with my daughter's youth group, as I related to a lot of her testimony and thought it would be a good book for the girls to pass around. Well, I finally got my turn with it, and I don't think I'll be loaning it out anymore because this is one book I don't want to lose! I finally broke down and grabbed a pen to start underlining all the stuff that stood out to me - and it was a lot.

As a victim of childhood sexual abuse who also st
Melody
Jan 02, 2015 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring, thought provoking read that I'm so glad I read at the beginning of the new year. It helps me see my struggles in a new way and has really opened my eyes to how I am in fact in my own way. It's one thing to say something so simple but to really break it down...wow.

Favorite Quotes:

I find over and over in my own life that I become the person I need to be in the season I'm going through.

When you get angry, what's under the anger? When you become afraid, what produces the fear? When
Jen
Apr 14, 2014 Jen marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bea-naiba-2012, arc
Let me start off by stating this is NOT a bad book. It seems that it would be very good for some one of low self esteem, maybe a teenaged girl. I know I would have benefitted from this book when I was younger. I have already come to terms with loving myself the way God made me, so I felt no need to read this book. I am not rating it since I didn't finish it. If I DNF'd it because it stunk, it would have gotten one star. Since I stopped reading due to it not speaking to me, I'm not rating it to b ...more
Nikole Hahn
Sep 27, 2012 Nikole Hahn rated it really liked it
Maybe I’m the only one in America who doesn’t recognize the name, Christa Black, but she knows how to punch you in the gut on the first page. God Loves Ugly and Love Makes Beautiful is raw, authentic, wild, and mixed up.

Christa Black is a singer and songwriter for celebrities like Jordan Sparks and Michael W. Smith. She grew up in a loving home as a pastor’s kid.

A man sexually molested her as a small child making being a “PK’s” life tough (pastor’s kid). Religion seemed more about the rules than
Hazel
To start, in compliance with FTC guidelines, I must disclose that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I laughed out loud when I saw that I was being sent this book as I had forgotten why I had put my name down for it. A self help, memoir book about religion being sent to a highly cynical person that does not read self help books and an Atheist/Humanist who respects all religions but does not appreciate being preached to about anyone's religion! Like every book though I st
Rachel
Dec 06, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last fall, I was asked to lead a ladies’ book study group for church. We call these groups “Ladies & Lattes,” because we typically meet at restaurants or coffee shops instead of peoples’ homes. Anyway, I had come across this book and was going to read it anyway, so I thought, “Sure, I’ll lead a group. And this is the book I want to do” before I had even read it.

Little did I know that this book would literally change my life! Christa’s life-long struggle with body image and a cycle of drug ab
Karen Locklear
Mar 09, 2013 Karen Locklear rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I’ve read in a while.

But yet I’m hesitant to recommend it to everyone.

Christa Black is a Christian musician whose life path included a childhood sexual assault, alcohol and drug abuse, and an eating disorder. And she not only survived, but she lived to tell about it.

That we need to respect. And I do because so much of what she discusses I totally identify with, as probably the better part of the female population does as well.

Black talks about getting “real” with
Shannon
Apr 11, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
While this book did have some good advice that we could all live by, I was a little put off by the religious part of it. Also, although I know that the author is really putting herself out there by telling the story of the trails she went through when she was younger, I just have a natural tendency to dislike stories of people coming from perfect homes and lives and still manage to make a story out of how horrible their lives have been. In comparison with others they have nothing to complain abo ...more
Meredith Harbman
Nov 06, 2015 Meredith Harbman rated it it was amazing
This book is a beautiful testimony to the restorative power of God's immense love. Christa Black writes with passionate eloquence about the importance of internalizing God's love to heal our every wound. I found it transformational.
Nika
Jan 16, 2015 Nika rated it liked it
The important and oh-so-valuable thing about this book is the end-of-chapter journal work that will facilitate true change for the reader. Do not shortchange yourself by skipping these heart studies.
Dale Stonehouse
Jan 10, 2014 Dale Stonehouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only skimmed this, but she is dead on about the effects of abuse in childhood, which never go away. They can be coped with in destructive ways, sometimes called addictions, or in self-reflective forgiveness. Many abuse survivors succeed in treating others well and being treated well by others; the most difficult seems to be seeing the self as other than terrible. Only when we realize that those who think highly of us are not wrong and stupid can recovery begin.
Degba Maguehi
Grateful for content

This book is a good read and uplifting. I wish the author all the best in the future. I hope other young women are.inspired by the story.
Carly W
Jan 26, 2014 Carly W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best
This is an amazing book, and I would recommend it to anyone. Christa Black shares her experience of God's love in a way that changes the lives of everyone who reads it. Whether you're facing small insecurities or an eating disorder, this book can help you overcome it.
Sarah Gerbers
Dec 25, 2015 Sarah Gerbers rated it it was ok
While the author has a great story to tell it is poorly written. It was hard to follow her jumping thoughts and timeline. She lost my attention and I thought it was a bit bland.
Meg
Mar 06, 2014 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me so much. I've been in and out of treatment centers for years and I have not been able to look at the way she looks at things. Especially the point of forgiving yourself with the help of God.
Mel
Jul 02, 2011 Mel rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for those who struggle with their identity and self-worth. Christa is so open and transparent. Many times during various chapters it seemed like I was reading a page out of my own journal. She also gives practical and thought-provoking questions and actions steps at the end of each chapter for self-reflection. This book helped to alter some major patterns of negative thinking and gave me tools to work through my issues. For those that are willing to read through God Love ...more
Brenda
Jul 23, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, memoir, hope
In this brave memoir, singer-songwriter Christa Black shares her journey from destructive perfectionism to thriving and resting in God's love. While I haven't dealt with an eating disorder, I really connected with Christa's struggles, and have learned similar lessons in my own life (though probably not as thoroughly). Her perspective helped me see a lot of things in a new light, and I commend her for her honesty. I want to go through the book again and do some of the journaling/application at th ...more
Heather
May 18, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book has changed my life. Christa Black has written such a powerful, moving, and important book for young women who are searching for love. I found myself laughing, crying, and praising God multiple times throughout the book as I read and Christa pretty much wrote my own testimony within her story. I loved this book and look forward to reading it again and journaling through the processes of change that she provides.
Michael Hsu
Oct 24, 2014 Michael Hsu rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
An honest account of the personal struggle the author has gone through in her life. She painted a painful picture of her addictions and a beautifual picture of her conversion. This book certainly opened my eyes to the struggle some women go through that are not commonly experienced by men. I enjoy reading this book very much.
Lia Risheill
Aug 22, 2015 Lia Risheill rated it really liked it
I finished this book along with the study book, in a group with other women. It was very good at pushing me to think deeply about where certain ways of thinking and feeling have come from in my life. Would recommend to anyone who struggles with identity and a broken past
Marsha
Mar 10, 2013 Marsha rated it really liked it
Fantastic book about living in freedom and loving yourself because God loves you. Great insight shared by Christa Black through her story of growing up with poor image of herself and making bad choices. Great reflection questions at the end of each chapter as well.
Melany
Dec 28, 2012 Melany rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. This book met me on an incredible journey to finding worth, beauty, and love. The message within the pages of "God Loves Ugly" is absolutely VITAL for all women. I want to give this book to every female that I know. A definite must read.
Katie
Aug 09, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was pretty good, not everything totally applied to me (it seemed like it was written mostly to help people with eating disorders, although the same techniques can be applied to other situations)
Jen
Jun 04, 2014 Jen marked it as didn-t-finish
Shelves: bea-2013, arc
Not a bad book, but it didn't seem to be useful to me at this time. Might pick it up again. No stars because I didn't read enough to get a feel for it, not because it was bad. Just not for me now.
Angelina
Apr 29, 2016 Angelina rated it it was amazing
This is book is very honest and transparent. Christa covers several topics that many can relate to and the end of chapter questions really help reflect on readings.
Monta
May 09, 2011 Monta rated it it was amazing
Enlightening journey about a young woman's struggle with food and her life growing up as a preacher's kid (pk). Really eye opening...
Libbi
Jun 25, 2013 Libbi rated it it was amazing
While I don't have time right now to go into an in-depth review, I will say this. READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW.
Abie Rohde
Mar 03, 2013 Abie Rohde rated it it was amazing
Awesome and so inspiring! Can't put it in words but Christa's story can definately relate to anyone!
Michele Jennifer
May 02, 2013 Michele Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Anyone who has ever dealt with any kind of self-esteem issue needs to read this book. Just do it.
Tieranybuster
Sep 18, 2011 Tieranybuster rated it it was amazing
So inspiring! Very heartwarming!
  • Pursued: God's Divine Obsession with You
  • You Are Made for More!: How to Become All You Were Created to Be
  • Etched...Upon My Heart: What We Learn and Why We Never Forget
  • Spirit Rising: Tapping into the Power of the Holy Spirit
  • The Other Side of Suffering: The Father of JonBenet Ramsey Tells the Story of His Journey from Grief to Grace
  • Becoming a Man of Unwavering Faith
  • The Lawyer's Lawyer (Jack Tobin, #3)
  • Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)
  • Change Your Words, Change Your Life: Understanding the Power of Every Word You Speak
  • Until We All Come Home: A Harrowing Journey, a Mother's Courage, a Race to Freedom
  • The Day Satan Called: A True Encounter with Demon Possession and Exorcism
  • Heaven Should Fall
  • The Atria International Book of Mysteries
  • Fall to Grace: A Revolution of God, Self & Society
  • They Disappeared
  • God's Heart for You: Embracing Your True Worth as a Woman
  • Balance: A Story of Faith, Family, and Life on the Line
  • Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words

“Being loved continuously when you believe that you're unlovable is like throwing salt on a wound. It stings like acid. You want it desperately, instinctively knowing deep down you were wired to need it. But the more love given, the more unworthy of love you behave, constantly trying to find ways to make up for the void and pain that reside like a monster inside your heart.” 2 likes
“I forget I can sing when I don’t make a sound” 1 likes