God Loves Ugly

God Loves Ugly

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  23 reviews
DO YOU EVER LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND HATE WHAT YOU SEE? Your eyes can lie. Rejection, shame, and self-hatred can poison perceptions and hinder us from seeing and believing what's actually true. In GOD LOVES UGLY Christa Black shares her personal victory against powerful adversaries--her thoughts, feelings, and reflection. From world-touring stadium performer to rehab-bound b...more
Published March 3rd 2011 by Gifford Publishing (first published November 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about God Loves Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Loves Ugly

Prajna
I bought this book after seeing Christa Black at the Revolve Tour with my daughter's youth group, as I related to a lot of her testimony and thought it would be a good book for the girls to pass around. Well, I finally got my turn with it, and I don't think I'll be loaning it out anymore because this is one book I don't want to lose! I finally broke down and grabbed a pen to start underlining all the stuff that stood out to me - and it was a lot.

As a victim of childhood sexual abuse who also st...more
Nikole Hahn
Maybe I’m the only one in America who doesn’t recognize the name, Christa Black, but she knows how to punch you in the gut on the first page. God Loves Ugly and Love Makes Beautiful is raw, authentic, wild, and mixed up.

Christa Black is a singer and songwriter for celebrities like Jordan Sparks and Michael W. Smith. She grew up in a loving home as a pastor’s kid.

A man sexually molested her as a small child making being a “PK’s” life tough (pastor’s kid). Religion seemed more about the rules than...more
Hazel
To start, in compliance with FTC guidelines, I must disclose that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I laughed out loud when I saw that I was being sent this book as I had forgotten why I had put my name down for it. A self help, memoir book about religion being sent to a highly cynical person that does not read self help books and an Atheist/Humanist who respects all religions but does not appreciate being preached to about anyone's religion! Like every book though I st...more
Rachel
Last fall, I was asked to lead a ladies’ book study group for church. We call these groups “Ladies & Lattes,” because we typically meet at restaurants or coffee shops instead of peoples’ homes. Anyway, I had come across this book and was going to read it anyway, so I thought, “Sure, I’ll lead a group. And this is the book I want to do” before I had even read it.

Little did I know that this book would literally change my life! Christa’s life-long struggle with body image and a cycle of drug ab...more
Karen Locklear
This is one of the best books I’ve read in a while.

But yet I’m hesitant to recommend it to everyone.

Christa Black is a Christian musician whose life path included a childhood sexual assault, alcohol and drug abuse, and an eating disorder. And she not only survived, but she lived to tell about it.

That we need to respect. And I do because so much of what she discusses I totally identify with, as probably the better part of the female population does as well.

Black talks about getting “real” with...more
Shannon
While this book did have some good advice that we could all live by, I was a little put off by the religious part of it. Also, although I know that the author is really putting herself out there by telling the story of the trails she went through when she was younger, I just have a natural tendency to dislike stories of people coming from perfect homes and lives and still manage to make a story out of how horrible their lives have been. In comparison with others they have nothing to complain abo...more
Jen
Jun 04, 2014 Jen added it
Not a bad book, but it didn't seem to be useful to me at this time. Might pick it up again. No stars because I didn't read enough to get a feel for it, not because it was bad. Just not for me now.
Dale Stonehouse
I only skimmed this, but she is dead on about the effects of abuse in childhood, which never go away. They can be coped with in destructive ways, sometimes called addictions, or in self-reflective forgiveness. Many abuse survivors succeed in treating others well and being treated well by others; the most difficult seems to be seeing the self as other than terrible. Only when we realize that those who think highly of us are not wrong and stupid can recovery begin.
Degba Maguehi
Grateful for content

This book is a good read and uplifting. I wish the author all the best in the future. I hope other young women are.inspired by the story.
Carly W
This is an amazing book, and I would recommend it to anyone. Christa Black shares her experience of God's love in a way that changes the lives of everyone who reads it. Whether you're facing small insecurities or an eating disorder, this book can help you overcome it.
Meg
This book has helped me so much. I've been in and out of treatment centers for years and I have not been able to look at the way she looks at things. Especially the point of forgiving yourself with the help of God.
Mel
This book is a must read for those who struggle with their identity and self-worth. Christa is so open and transparent. Many times during various chapters it seemed like I was reading a page out of my own journal. She also gives practical and thought-provoking questions and actions steps at the end of each chapter for self-reflection. This book helped to alter some major patterns of negative thinking and gave me tools to work through my issues. For those that are willing to read through God Love...more
Brenda
In this brave memoir, singer-songwriter Christa Black shares her journey from destructive perfectionism to thriving and resting in God's love. While I haven't dealt with an eating disorder, I really connected with Christa's struggles, and have learned similar lessons in my own life (though probably not as thoroughly). Her perspective helped me see a lot of things in a new light, and I commend her for her honesty. I want to go through the book again and do some of the journaling/application at th...more
Heather
This book has changed my life. Christa Black has written such a powerful, moving, and important book for young women who are searching for love. I found myself laughing, crying, and praising God multiple times throughout the book as I read and Christa pretty much wrote my own testimony within her story. I loved this book and look forward to reading it again and journaling through the processes of change that she provides.
Marsha
Fantastic book about living in freedom and loving yourself because God loves you. Great insight shared by Christa Black through her story of growing up with poor image of herself and making bad choices. Great reflection questions at the end of each chapter as well.
Melany
Oh my goodness. This book met me on an incredible journey to finding worth, beauty, and love. The message within the pages of "God Loves Ugly" is absolutely VITAL for all women. I want to give this book to every female that I know. A definite must read.
Katie
I thought it was pretty good, not everything totally applied to me (it seemed like it was written mostly to help people with eating disorders, although the same techniques can be applied to other situations)
Monta
Enlightening journey about a young woman's struggle with food and her life growing up as a preacher's kid (pk). Really eye opening...
Libbi
While I don't have time right now to go into an in-depth review, I will say this. READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW.
Abie Rohde
Awesome and so inspiring! Can't put it in words but Christa's story can definately relate to anyone!
Michele Jennifer
Anyone who has ever dealt with any kind of self-esteem issue needs to read this book. Just do it.
Tieranybuster
So inspiring! Very heartwarming!
Toni
Great book !
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Codie
Codie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
  • Pursued: God's Divine Obsession with You
  • Change Your Words, Change Your Life: Understanding the Power of Every Word You Speak
  • The Day Satan Called: A True Encounter with Demon Possession and Exorcism
  • Unforgiven (Beartooth, Montana, #1)
  • The Lawyer's Lawyer (Jack Tobin, #3)
  • Fall to Grace: A Revolution of God, Self & Society
  • They Disappeared
  • Heaven Should Fall
  • The Shack Revisited: There Is More Going On Here than You Ever Dared to Dream
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • The Lincoln Letter (Peter Fallon, #5)
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
  • Tattooed (Kate Lange #3)
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • An Echo Through the Snow
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?
  • The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)
  • Break Out!: 5 Keys to Go Beyond Your Barriers and Live an Extraordinary Life
God Loves Ugly: & love makes beautiful God Loves Ugly: & Love Makes Beautiful

“Being loved continuously when you believe that you're unlovable is like throwing salt on a wound. It stings like acid. You want it desperately, instinctively knowing deep down you were wired to need it. But the more love given, the more unworthy of love you behave, constantly trying to find ways to make up for the void and pain that reside like a monster inside your heart.” 0 likes
“The storms the wind, the rain have met me once again
And interrupted blue
The sky turned gray, turned cold, turned winter once again

But I'm here for now
Yes, I'm here

Though storm, though wind, though rain have met me once again

I'm still here”