By Hook Or By Crook and 27 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year (The Year's Finest Crime and Mystery Stories #2009)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Short stories from: Dennis Lehane, Kris Nelscott, Sandra Seamans, Dave Zeltserman, SJ Rozan, Nancy Pickard, Marcia Muller, Doug Allyn, Bill Crider, Tom Picirrilli, Richard Lupoff, Mary Higgins Clark, Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins, Greg Bardsley, Dana Cameron, Brendan DuBois, Terence Faherty, Gillian Linscott, Lyndsay Faye, Twist Phelan, Charlie Drees, Bob Randisi,...more
Published March 2nd 2011 by Tyrus Books (first published January 1st 2010)

Bcoghill Coghill
I am not a short story reader. I prefer the novel or at least a novelette. This collection was a nice change of pace.
I don't know if this is common with short story collections, Not with ones I read, I found every story different from the others. I very much appreciated this facet of the collection.
The forward was a waste of my time. Why would I care about all of that insider information. Give me the one and a quarter page forward everytime (if one feels the need to publish a forward at all.)
Carla
I'm a huge fan of short stories. These were spectacular! I always start these stories thinking that they're a great book to easily read "on-the-go" so that I can put them down and pick them back up easily. However, I find that once I open them, I just read...and read...and read....
John
Some truly excellent stories, some pretty darn good ones, a few works of genius, one truly oddball concoction, and a few stories too firmly following genre conventions to stand on their own. A mostly enjoyable read.

(PS--too many Sherlock Holmes pastiches.)
Gay Terry
Some of the stories are good, some are not-so-good, some are great. It amazed me how these writers could fit a mystery into the short story form. Definitely entertaining.
Tom Hicks
Excellent book of short stories. Most of them were very good. Highly recommended.
Alex
A variety of mysteries and styles. Some good, others very good.
Phil
Pleasant 'light' crime reading. Some better than others.
Adventure_chick
Good stories, some with great twists!
Mindy
Apr 12, 2012 Eunira marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Kindle
Debbie
Debbie is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Wendy Christine Allen
Wendy Christine Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jernee
Jernee marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Marisa Boone
Marisa Boone marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Cjmcd5662
Cjmcd5662 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
  • Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Getting Sassy
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • 65 Proof
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Dead Politician Society: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • Sweet's Sweets (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #2)
  • Dial C For Chihuahua (Barking Detective #1)
  • Fever Moon
  • Diary of a Confessions Queen
  • Ultimate Thriller Box Set
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Listen to the Shadows
Edward Joseph Gorman was born somewhere in the U.S. in 1941. He spent 20 years in the advertising industry before leaving to write full-time in 1984. Since then, he has been incredibly prolific, averaging 2-3 novels a year in addition to many short stories, editing anthologies, and founding and editing Mystery Scene, the new magazine of the mystery field. He has written in many genres, particularl...more
More about Ed Gorman...
Predators Stalkers The Day the Music Died (Sam McCain, #1) The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction Once Upon a Crime