Start by marking “By Hook Or By Crook and 27 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year” as Want to Read:

By Hook Or By Crook and 27 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year (The Year's Finest Crime and Mystery Stories #2009)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Short stories from: Dennis Lehane, Kris Nelscott, Sandra Seamans, Dave Zeltserman, SJ Rozan, Nancy Pickard, Marcia Muller, Doug Allyn, Bill Crider, Tom Picirrilli, Richard Lupoff, Mary Higgins Clark, Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins, Greg Bardsley, Dana Cameron, Brendan DuBois, Terence Faherty, Gillian Linscott, Lyndsay Faye, Twist Phelan, Charlie Drees, Bob Randisi, ...more
Published March 2nd 2011 by Tyrus Books (first published January 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about By Hook Or By Crook and 27 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year

Mary
This is a good collection of short stories—a good diversion.
Bcoghill Coghill
I am not a short story reader. I prefer the novel or at least a novelette. This collection was a nice change of pace.
I don't know if this is common with short story collections, Not with ones I read, I found every story different from the others. I very much appreciated this facet of the collection.
The forward was a waste of my time. Why would I care about all of that insider information. Give me the one and a quarter page forward everytime (if one feels the need to publish a forward at all.)
Carla
I'm a huge fan of short stories. These were spectacular! I always start these stories thinking that they're a great book to easily read "on-the-go" so that I can put them down and pick them back up easily. However, I find that once I open them, I just read...and read...and read....
John
Some truly excellent stories, some pretty darn good ones, a few works of genius, one truly oddball concoction, and a few stories too firmly following genre conventions to stand on their own. A mostly enjoyable read.

(PS--too many Sherlock Holmes pastiches.)
Gay Terry
Some of the stories are good, some are not-so-good, some are great. It amazed me how these writers could fit a mystery into the short story form. Definitely entertaining.
Tom Hicks
Excellent book of short stories. Most of them were very good. Highly recommended.
Alex
A variety of mysteries and styles. Some good, others very good.
Phil
Pleasant 'light' crime reading. Some better than others.
Adventure_chick
Good stories, some with great twists!
Mindy
Apr 12, 2012 Eunira marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Kindle
Jay Johnson
Jay Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Janet Fair
Janet Fair marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Tracy Wirick
Tracy Wirick marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
G W
G W marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Erin Coleman emry
Erin Coleman emry marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Riddlers Gift
Riddlers Gift marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Mary Monheim
Mary Monheim marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Crissy Hughes
Crissy Hughes marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Renee Leder abhold
Renee Leder abhold marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
  • Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • 65 Proof
  • Fever Moon
  • Dead Politician Society: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • Getting Sassy
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Ancient Images
  • El Gavilan
  • Trouble Down South and Other Stories
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • The Burned Tower
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • The Book of Rules: The Right Way to Do Everything
  • The Wrecking Crew (Janac's Games, #2)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
Edward Joseph Gorman was born on November 2, 1941 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He spent 20 years in the advertising industry before leaving to write full-time in 1984. Since then, he has been incredibly prolific, averaging 2-3 novels a year in addition to many short stories, editing anthologies, and founding and editing Mystery Scene, the new magazine of the mystery field. He has written in many genres, ...more
More about Ed Gorman...
Predators Stalkers The Day the Music Died (Sam McCain, #1) The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction Once Upon a Crime