Start by marking “Back Home” as Want to Read:
Back Home

Back Home

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,327 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Rusty Dickinson was sent to the United States from England at the age of seven in 1940 to survive the war. When she returns in 1945, she finds a country and a family she neither understands nor likes, and vice versa.
Published 1984 by Harper & Row

To ask other readers questions about Back Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back Home

CLM
Apr 25, 2009 CLM rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lisa, Abigail, Wendy
When Rusty returns to England after having been evacuated to America during WWII, both her family and the country seem unfamiliar and alien. Adjusting to her old life is not made easier by the fact that she now has an American accent and a free and easy way of challenging authority that does not make her popular with her teachers or peers. Worst of all, Rusty feels as if her mother is a stranger, and not very supportive at that. And boarding school, often the refuge for those unhappy at home, be ...more
Alex Baugh
Michelle Magorian is probably best known for her excellent book Goodnight, Mr. Tom, but she also wrote several other World War II novels for adolescent readers. One of those other books is Back Home.

It begins in the summer of 1945. The war is over and 12 year old Virginia Dickinson is returning to England. Virginia had been a scared, timid 7 year old when she was evacuated to an American family in Connecticut. Five years have passed and she is confident 12 year old who now goes by the name Rust
Trish at Between My Lines
I've read a sample of this thanks to Penguin UK and it has been a reminder of just why I loved this book so many years ago. That sense of not belonging is captured so clearly by all the children returning home to England from America after the war. Their homeland and parents feel like strangers and the struggle to adapt and fit back it makes for a very emotional storyline.

You get hooked in very quickly by twelve-year-old Rusty as she is a very likeable main character but one who plummets into a
Anna
Elizabeth K.
This is an older kidlit title -- I've had this thing for the past year or two where I'm focused on novels and non-fiction accounts of the children who were evacuated from Britain to the US during WWII, based on a conversation that was going on with the Betsy-Tacy group. Kidlit fans may recall that Magorian is probably best known for the five-Kleenex Goodnight, Mr. Tom. In this book, Rusty, our heroine, has returned to England after living in Connecticut for most of the war years, and has a varie ...more
Grammar*Kitten
This was one of my all time favourite books when I was a child.

I remember the copy I had - it had a different cover back then - but it was the most tattered, dog eared book I have perhaps ever owned. I have a sneaking suspicion that I might have actually stolen it from school. Either that or my mum picked it up for me from a second hand book stall at a school fete or something, but either way I'm digressing.

I probably read it nearly twenty times. I used to love stories about this kind of time pe
Christine

(view spoiler)
Susann
Vanessa B. recommended Back Home to me in the 6th grade and, given her great taste in books, I wonder why she and I were only school friends and never played outside of school. This was the first book to pierce my Anglophilia and show me that not everything about England is so dandy.

After five swell years in the States with the bohemian Omsk family, Rusty has a hard time returning to bombed, rationed England and a family she barely remembers.

I thought I remembered how intense Magorian can be an
Vickstar
Continuing on with my boarding school trend, I also picked this up as a recommended boarding school classic. It's an interesting depiction of the immediate post-war era in England and the longer term repercussions of being a child evacuee, with great description that makes the historical feel very real. I was aware that children were evacuated from cities to the countryside during wartime in the UK but not that some were sent overseas; the main character Rusty was sent to the States and the book ...more
Kat Mant
I decided to start the year off with this book as it had been a favourite of mine when I was younger.

I love reading about this time period, imagining myself as an evacuee. It really gets you straight in to the mindset of 12 year old Rusty and I loved being transported to this era.

What I adored, and completely forgot about this book, was that it is set in Devon. I currently live in Exeter and it was lovely to have that even greater sense of connection when reading this the second time around.

It
Pinki Pal
I listened to a BBC radio dramatisation (unabridged I believe) with a dozen voice actors.
When Rusty Dickinson returns to England from the United States where she was evacuated for safekeeping while the United Kingdom was being bombed by the Luftwaffe in World War II, she is dismayed by the stiff reserved and proper expectations which jar with her casual extrovert American lifestyle.

I loved the fish-out-of-water comedy (or tragedy) of manners which ensues when a bright extrovert child confronts s
Sheepdog
If you know Magorian's "Goodnight Mr. Tom" (which I must admit, I only know from the movie), you're half way to understanding Back Home.

Back Home is the story of a girl who was evacuated to the USA at the start of WWII, age 7. We hear little of her days there, except as recollections in the course of her "new" life, back in England, 1945, 12 years old.

It is easy to forget how different the USA and UK of those eras were.

And consider the differenece between a 7 year old and a 12 year old. Poor Rus
Paula
Like 'Goodnight Mr Tom' also by Michelle Magorian which I read earlier this month, I first read 'Back Home' when I was a teenager and like 'Goodnight Mr Tom', I also enjoyed the book the second time as much as I did the first time. 'Back Home' is a story of family and the changes they can and do go through, Rusty returns from a place of safety to a place that has changed drastically because of the war, and her family has changed to, after years of separation, Rusty and her parents barely know ea ...more
LH Johnson
I have a lot of love for Michelle Magorian, one of the great dames of British children's literature. I've spoken about Back Home before, briefly, in a list of books featuring Dartington Hall, the place where I went to University. It was, however, a too brief mention and so I returned to Back Home in order to review it properly.

And, to be honest, I returned because I've spent too long without reading a Michelle Magorian. She's one of those writers who simply is and always will be there in my life
Kate
I have been forgetting to read this for something more than 20 years, and I'm glad I finally got around to it. Magorian wrote Goodnight Mr. Tom, which I still think is a great kids book about abuse and about the WWII evacuation of children to the countryside, good enough to reread every so often when I need a nice sense of faith in humanity and a good hanky-drenching.

This story wasn't quite as good. Rusty was evacuated all the way to the US (I didn't realize they did that!) and when she returns
stephanie
Dec 09, 2013 stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to stephanie by: classroom stacey
i loved this book. if i had read this when i was younger, this clearly would have been a favorite.

yes, it's a bit simple in the plot. rusty was 7 when she was sent to live with american relatives to be safe during the war. she returns at age 13 to a mother she doesn't know, and a country she has no memories of.

however, the undercurrent of the women's movement was really spot-on, authentic, and didn't feel forced. peggy, rusty's mom, has had to adjust to life without a husband. rusty's grandmot
Carina
I really enjoyed this book! I thought when I picked it up that I would hate it, but the ending turned out great. I felt Rusty was an amazing main character, but sometimes the plot dragged along and was depressing. Another character I grew to love was Rusty's mom, Peggy. The ending was so jovial that I ended up enjoying it. The author made me feel sorry for the characters, too which made me sad for them. Overall, I loved this book!

I give it 4/5 stars.
Stephanie
Sep 12, 2008 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone desperate for a positive portrayal of the U.S.
Recommended to Stephanie by: Jill Linden
Shelves: mycuppa
Many years ago, a friend of my mine recommended this book. I bought it and tossed it aside, thinking it boring. After re-reading the same author's masterpiece, Goodnight, Mr. Tom, I decided to give Back Home another try. Boy, am I glad I did. The story so clearly illustrates the sharp difference between postwar England and postwar America. It brought to mind Jessica Mitford's first impressions of the U.S. during the same period: the central heating, the endless optimism, the glorious food. As an ...more
Sarah Adamson
Another excellent book from this very talented author. She brings to life the children's stories from World War Two in the UK allowing modern day children and adults to relate to the real life difficult situations. Beautifully told, historically accurate, unfortunate but well written characters. Positive from the bad times.
Louise Nichols Cook
I have read this book about three times now and i still love it :) The girl (Rusty(or Virginia)) is so like me :) yay :) she even looks like me :p
Its a really sad story and one that admittidly did make me cry when i first read it becuase it genuinely was really sad. The way the author describes everything with enough detail for you to be able to picture what you need to see, but doesn't over do it, really brings home the harshness of the war. Becuase she is right, the war was not fun, it brought
Harrietthespy
*Spoilers ahead*

I first read Back Home when I was about 12 years-old. The dog-eared copy once belonged to my older sister and she loved it. I subsequently dog-eared it even more, returning to it time and time again throughout my early to mid-teens.

I instantly connected with Rusty’s character and could deeply empathise with her alienation and injustices, both at her draconian boarding school (which makes Mallory Towers seem like a holiday club in comparison) and her new home with the ‘Victorian’
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I remember being ridiculously depressed by this book at 14. I'm tempted to re-read it just to see whether what I think of as "depressing" has changed, and how much.
Naomi Bennet
Not the best book. But there must be something good about it, because I keep on re-reading it. But not worth spending money on. Although it IS kinda good. But... yeah. I can't really make up my mind.
Little Things
I absolutely love this book and I have just written a review on my new blog, check it out at littlethingsmaketheworldgoround1.blogspot.co.uk
Laura Scarffe
Probably my favourite book of all time! A fish out of water story, funny but at times very sad too. Beautifully written.
Kitty Golden
You are very sympathetic towards the main character and very enjoyable!
Katie Nairne
Reread this book from my childhood and cried my eyes out...
Reddy Katz
Really not enjoying this book so have decided to out it down and start something more educational
Oh, I loved this book when I was younger! You really learn to love Rusty. The copy I have is falling apart, from when I used to read it practically every few weeks.

It's an amazing book for 10-12 year olds. I wouldn't recommend the film though.
I was given this book a while ago and after reading the back of it hadn't, I didn't feel compelled to read it. But after started it, I surprisingly really got into the story. 12 year old Rusty had been evacuated to America five years previously and now she is coming back to England. You are with her as she feels distant with England and her family, while she hopes to go home to America. I found some of the other characters in the novel hard to read about as they made my blood boil and I felt Rus ...more
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • The Diary of Laura's Twin
  • The Ark
  • Out of the Hitler Time
  • Thursday's Child
  • Carrie's War
  • The Chalet School and the Island (The Chalet School, #25)
  • The Queen's Nose
  • Lisa's War (Lisa's War, #1)
  • The Machine-Gunners
  • Lizzie McGuire: The Orchids and Gumbo Poker Club
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • Never Mind The Goldbergs
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Great Northern? A Scottish Adventure of Swallows & Amazons (Swallows & Amazons, #12)
  • Mrs. Tim Carries On
  • Escape From Warsaw
  • The Diddakoi
British children's author Michelle Magorian - author of the celebrated Goodnight, Mr. Tom (1981), which won The Guardian Children's Fiction Prize - was born in Southsea, Portsmouth, in 1947. She trained to be an actress, studying at the Rose Bruford College of Speech and Drama, and at Marcel Marceau's L'école Internationale de Mime in Paris. While pursuing an acting career, Magorian became interes ...more
More about Michelle Magorian...
Good Night, Mr. Tom A Little Love Song Just Henry A Spoonful of Jam Cuckoo in the Nest