Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)

Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  14,661 ratings  ·  765 reviews
True love can blossom in unexpected places. This is Jaden pretending not to notice. . . .

Jaden McEntyre and Parker Whalen are a wrong fit from the start. Jaden is driven and focused, Harvard Med School within reach. Parker has a past-a reputation-and the rumors about his mysterious habits abound. So there's no reason why, when they're assigned to work together on a project...more
Published March 15th 2011 (first published March 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cross My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross My Heart

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenEasy by Tammara WebberAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsFlat-Out Love by Jessica ParkOn the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves
TO DIE FOR 2000 - 2015 STAND-ALONES
26th out of 1,288 books — 4,476 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
best kindle romance books
19th out of 557 books — 1,830 voters

More lists with this book...

~Tina~
Awwwww! This book is freaken so sweet!

I've always been a complete sucker for really adorable romances and this is one of those books that makes you feel all warm and gushy inside.
Cross My Heart stars the very focused-save the world-control freak-good girl Jaden McEntryre who gets partnered up for the English project with no other then Parker Whalen, aka; the motorcycle driving-leather jacket wearing-bad boy loner with a bad rep. As soon as they meet up their defense goes on high. He thinks she'...more
Rosanne - Books Are Better Than Pants
It wasn't bad but I wasn't satisfied either.

The author said in an interview she decided later what would be Parker's secret and it shows. The ending is underdeveloped and it doesn't make any sense. It kinda ruined the rest of the story for me, which was sweet if what cliche. Props to the writer for taking a classic book I didn't know yet, instead of Romeo and Juliet, The Scarlet Letter or Wuthering Heights which are usually used.

What bothered me for example was (view spoiler)...more
Kim
I wouldn't have picked up this book if Jess and Tina hadn't been so OMFGTHISISAWESOME about it, because I usually don't like to read books about romance without a supernatural theme. I don't know why, to be honest, because it's basically the same, only with real-life situations. Nothing about this book was original, as many people have stated before me, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. I wasn't expecting to like it, because I'm in a state where I'm fairly sure real and de...more
Vinaya
Dear Katie Klein,

Can I edit your book? Please?

Surprisingly, I loved Cross My Heart. Not that it didn't have it's faults - oh boy, did it! But. It somehow still managed to be a fun, entertaining love story that left you feeling warm and fuzzy.

So. The bad first. This is a self-pubbed book, and it shows . The writing is very, very... busy. There's no other way to describe it. Every sentence has multiple things happening, every emotion is exaggerated.

"I'm not in a comfort zone." Anger stirs in my...more
Jessica
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Ok, I think we have established that I love good girl/ bad boy stories and so it doesn’t come as a surprise that I wasn’t bothered by the fact that the way our two main characters get to know each other is one of the biggest clichés ever. (They get paired off for a school project). I know, the blurb makes it sound like just another one of those stories and to a certain extent it is, yes, but there are a few things that made "Cross My Heart" special to me.

The sizzling, s...more
Kinsey
3.5 Expect the Unexpected Stars!

Not only am I a liar . . .
I’m selfish.
Selfish enough to want it all.
And I know if I don’t have you . . .
I don’t have anything.

and I’m not going to give up . . .
until I can prove to you . . .
that you are the only thing that matters.
So keep sending me away . . .
but I’ll just keep coming back to you.

Cross My Heart, was a pleasant surpr...more
ivana18
Oh, wow....this is a really nice book. It's not spectacular, but it's really nice, good actually.

Jaden McEntyre is a girl with a plan:
1. graduate as a salutatorian (in the United States and Canada, the title of salutatorian is given to the second-highest graduate of the entire graduating class of an educational institution),
2. get into Harvard,
3. then Harvard Medical school,
4. then save the world....
One day, thanks to her busy schedule, she's late to class and she misses an opportunity to ch...more
Tammara
"There is nothing I cannot handle." ~ Jaden McEntyre's internal mantra... and she's gonna need it.

Jaden is the picture of perfection. Her 4.0 GPA and her social conscience have her dreaming of leaving her small town for Harvard after graduation. It's all she's ever wanted. She loves her family, but is frequently disappointed by them. In return, Jaden's mission in life seems to be to never, ever disappoint anyone.

Late to English class because she was manning a table requesting donations for pover...more
Trinity
Okay so I had this realisation pretty early on
Parker Whalen = Jess Mariano in all his leather jacket wearing book smarts glory.

Needless to say that seriously amped this book up!
I tried to turn Jaden into Rory but it didn't stick, every time she mentioned her auburn hair it just threw me.

ANYWAY I really liked this book it's a totally fun easy romance tooth-aching read. I didn't expect to like Jaden because I normally don't really like the miss school perfect girl but she was well fleshed out and...more
♥Rachel♥
Sep 20, 2011 ♥Rachel♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance and opposites attract lovers
Shelves: books-i-own, kindle
4.5 Stars

I love stories where opposites are thrown together. Situations where people who wouldn’t even register on one another’s radar are forced to work together. Of course it’s even better when they fall for each other. A good example of this is Perfect Chemistry (loved that book!) This story is not as intense as Perfect Chemistry, I’d say it’s more on the fun side, but it’s still really good!

Jaden McEntyre is your typical over-achiever: Harvard bound, cheerleader, perfect attendance, save-the...more
Zemira Warner
Jun 30, 2011 Zemira Warner rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of realistic YA Romance
Cross My Heart was perfect! I was a little skeptic at first because it has this 4.42 rating. I was like-Come on! It can't be that good. But it was.
If Simone Elkeles and Jennifer Echols had a baby it would definitely be Katie Klein. I have to admit,after reading about 10% of the book I thought it was a Nevermore rip-off. But it wasn't. In fact there are no paranormal shenanigans around. This is (just) a normal YA romance. Well,not normal but extraordinary.
I don't want to reveal anything about t...more
Jana (The Book Goddess)
Also posted on: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/

The plot was nothing special. Good girl meets bad boy. Good girl starts falling in love. Everyone hates bad boy for his reputation. Yeah yeah, we know what happens. You think Cross My Heart will be just like any other YA contemporary romance girl-meets-boy story? Well. You are SO wrong. Cross My Heart is a fantastic, coming-of-age story with relatable characters and a super smart plot twist that I definitely did not see coming.

First. Let's...more
Nicola
I thought I had the mystery all figured out but I was wrong! This was completely unpredictable and I loved it! I read it in one sitting because I couldn't tear my eyes away. It was definitely one of the best books I've read this year and I'd recommend it to any contemporary fan!
Sofija
Jul 26, 2011 Sofija marked it as couldn-t-finished
*repeatedly smash my head into the wall*

Lab partners???!!! Really? Again? Well, okay, they are not exactly lab partners. They are English project partners, which is the same to me.

It’s like there is some government conspiracy that forbid authors to write any other ways for teenagers to fall in love. Maybe they try to stop kids from ditching school? They must start produce banners like: “Didn’t go to physics today? Now you will die a spinster!”.
Or: “Still live with your mother at 45? Serves you...more
Paula
This book was super sweet. Fast read, too.

I really loved how Jaden came into her own, learning about life and love just through spending several weeks working on a project with Parker.

I thought the author did a great job of making Jaden really relatable - at least, to me. I know this girl...she is a lot like me - striving for perfection, gravitating towards the 'safe' and 'dependable' route in life. I wonder how I would have turned out differently if I had met a guy like Parker?

Jaden's pain, wh...more
Kat
El verdadero amor puede florecer en lugares inesperados.
Aquí está Jaden fingiendo no darse cuenta..

Parker Whalen y Jaden McEntyre son una mezcla equivocada.

Ella es enérgica, llena de actividades, popular y querida.
Él es solitario, parece tener un pasado oscuro, y no se relaciona con nadie.

Entonces cuando Parker y Jaden son juntados para hacer un proyecto para Inglés, ellos definitivamente solo tendrían que centrarse en hacer el trabajo, y no en..enamorarse. Pero la faceta de chico malo de Parker...more
Andreea
Probabil cel mai potrivit cuvant care imi vine in minte incercand sa caracterizez aceasta carte este "naturalete". A fost o lectura pur si simplu racoritoare. Nu ma asteptam sa imi placa atat de mult.
Credeam ca va urma sablonul tipicelor povesti de dragoste de genul baiatul rau intalneste fata cuminte si desteapta, el are un trecut intunecat dar totusi realizeaza ca ea ii poate imbunatati viata etc.
Am fost surprinsa sa descopar ca defapt Parker nu era cliseul baiatului rau, care isi facea de ca...more
Say
when i came across this book, i told myself, hmmmm....another story of the good girl falling in love with the bad guy. and i was right, but katie klein wrote it beautifully, if not with the busy schedule i had i would have read this in one sitting. honestly speaking this is one of the best books i've read under this category.

the characters jaden and parker, oh but i love them. i cannot hate jaden though she's one hell of a perfectionist, but i felt sorry for her. a lot was expected from her whi...more
Vanessa
Fuck it.

How many times did i stop just to say "fuck", or digest the moment, or to smile, to cry? Countless.

I was surprised how good the story was. Not expecting a lot really, but wow. Just the exact book i was looking for at the moment.

Not just another love story. This will teach you more in life, about decisions, regrets, how it is ok to make mistakes, while making you fall in love and bring back your inner giggly girly self.

I hate you Katie Klein! This book is awesome! Am i allowed i say it's...more
Nicole Williams
An amazing read with interesting, multi-dimensional characters and plenty of surprises to keep you reading late into the night. I finished this one in two days and I'm still thinking about the characters days later. Those who are Sarah Dessen fans will enjoy Cross My Heart!
I'm really torn on this book because I enjoyed it and read it within a 24 hour period, which is very rare for me as I usually don't enjoy chick-lit. But at the same time the story was rather dull and predictable in the beginning. The usual popular, smart, lovable, cheerleader Jaden McEntyre is forced to work on a school project with bad boy Parker Whalen. After just reading Nevermore, I felt like this was a very similar story just without any paranormal aspects. Then BAM 80% into the novel there...more
Asmaa
Rating: 4.75/5

Again, I'm wondering: why do I always push reading the best books?

I've been having this book sitting on my TBR shelf for God knows how long, only to discover after an intense five-hours session of reading that it was my kind of story: a pure swoon-material. I need to make a WHY DIDN'T READ THIS SOONER shelf just in case.

Seriously though, I LOVED this one, it was engrossing and hard to put down, it kept flowing and leading me to think that it'll follow the path of every high school...more
Ariana
"Maybe. But you know, when you love someone you love them. And every day you sit back pretending that you don't is one less day you have with him."

I think "cute" is the right word for this.
I like it when a book takes me by surprise, and this one did quite a good job at it.

I still feel the need to warn you that it felt terribly cliché in the first half (dark boy, popular girl, jealous boyfriend, English project - ringing a bell? because I hear a whole carol in my head), but it got impressively...more
Jenn
Rating Clarification: 4.5 stars

(I would totally read this book again after knowing the plot twist. I figured it out early on however, I was still surprised I was right when I read the twist. Knowing what I know now, I would love to go back and look at all the little hints the author dropped through out the book. I think reading it again, a bit slower this time, might I add, that I will enjoy it even more the second time around.)

Jaden is an all around, save the planet/people, must get in to Harv...more
Jules
Holy zebra..

this book is the reason for the dark circles under my eyes.
I, in all honesty, stayed up till 5 in the morning finishing this book.
Yes, it was on a school night.
I wake up at 6.
Yes, if this Katie Klein wasn't such a fantastic writer, I'd wish to strangle her for my lack of sleep.
But, no, I don't regret it.
I teared up at least 4 times, which is definitely saying something.
for that whole night, as I was about to put the book down, I thought "Just one more page".
every time.

Cross My Heart...more
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
Really cute. What a surprise ending. Some of the story was dragged out a bit, but I love the way he tried to avoid her and she was not having it. I love the friendship they formed and I love the romance that builds. It was realistic and I have a nice headache this morning from staying up until 3:30am reading the book last night. It was worth it!!
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say that this book is PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I want to say thank you to Jen for buddy reading this book with me. Lord I had so much fun texting back and forth about this book and the different things that were happening I could not put the book down and read it in one night.

Jaden is a straight A student who does not get into trouble at home or school. She spends her time raising money for different causes. She has a great boyfriend whom she has been with for a while an...more
Sita Sargeant
I bought this book without even looking to see what it was about. I just went and bought it and boy am I glad I did. This book was one of those HOLY SHAZAMM!! books you sometimes read about. It was amazing and I loved it. I really, really, really, really loved it. Really. It is easily going down as one of the best books I have read all year. So enough of my rambling and onto my actual review of the book.

Cross My Heart is about Jaden (she is a control freak bent on going to Harvard, everyone love...more
Jessica
Holy crap! This book was so much more than I expected. Not only was it brilliant, but it had a plot twist I wouldn't have guessed in a million years. Fabulous book!!

-------------
Review: This book simply blew me away! That's probably why it was featured in so many of my Top 10 of 2011 posts. It is incredible, brilliant, intense, shocking, and all other appraising words you can throw at it. I simply went browsing amazon one day and bumped into it. I was looking for a light, cute read. I got so mu...more
Andreea
Jan 04, 2013 Andreea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Andreea by: book club
Shelves: favourites
Why was Parker not registered? 10 179 Aug 06, 2013 06:52AM
Crazy for Young A...: January 2013: Cross My Heart by Katie Klein 15 91 Feb 22, 2013 03:31AM
what do you think about this book?? 13 147 Feb 16, 2013 01:39PM
  • Heart on a Chain
  • Measuring Up
  • So Over You
  • Unlovable (Port Fare, #1)
  • The Wrong Path
  • Dream Chaser
  • Wishing for Someday Soon
  • Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1)
  • Caleb + Kate
  • Sophie & Carter
  • Winter Longing
  • Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2)
  • The Stillburrow Crush
  • Second Kiss (Second #1)
  • If I Can't Have You
  • All The Wrong Reasons (Wrong Reasons, #1)
  • His Eyes
  • The Boyfriend Thief
Katie Klein is a diehard romantic with a penchant for protagonists who kick butt. She currently resides on the East Coast and is hard at work on her next YA novel. She can be reached at katiekleinwrites@yahoo.com, and maintains a web presence at: http://katiekleinwrites.blogspot.com.
More about Katie Klein...
The Guardian (The Guardians, #1) Collateral Damage (Cross My Heart, #2) Vendetta (The Guardians, #2) Revelation (The Guardians, #3) The Trilogy: The Guardian, Vendetta, and Revelation (3-Book Collection)

“I marvel at how even the wrong choices can keep us on the right path. How the worst mistake can wind up being the best thing that ever happened to us.” 153 likes
“I think you fall in love with someone when you least expect to. When it’s the last thing you want. That’s what’s so great about it.” 147 likes