The Littles

The Littles (The Littles)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  9,534 ratings  ·  144 reviews
The adventures of a tiny family who live within the walls of the Bigg's house.
Published January 1st 1993 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1st 1967)

midnightfaerie
We read over half of this and then just got plain bored. It started out good, but I think there were too many characters too fast and it got confusing for both myself and my 5 yr old. We tried to finish it, but in the end, we thought our time could be put to better use and so picked up the next book in the Chronicles of Narnia series we were also reading. What a difference when a child is engaged. Don't think we'll finish this.
Sara Hannon
1. Fantasy

2. When the family they live with goes on vacation, the Littles, tiny people with tails, have the adventure of a lifetime when a new family moves in for a few months. This new family brings mice and then a cat to give the Littles more than they have ever had to deal with before.

3. This is a well-written children's book. It is written on such a great level for young readers. The wording is clear, the story is adventurous, and the large type is offset by cute little illustrations. Unlik...more
Jodi
Nov 30, 2008 Jodi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jodi by: Gram Henige
Kristine Pratt
My first introduction to The Littles was on Saturday morning when I was a child and they used to have these specials on TV that featured some sort of book or another. I remember the delight with which I found and devoured the first book.

I wasn't sure how the series would hold up with me now, 30 years later. But it does. I still love The Littles and as always am fascinated by their adventures, but even more by the way they live inside the walls. There was a time I was POSITIVE little people lived...more
Cason
I loved the I liked when Tom tied the yarn ball to the cat and sat on the cat!
HeavyReader
When I was a kid, I really wanted to believe that tiny little people lived in the walls of my house and took little things from me and my family to furnish their home. Alas, it was all just fiction.
Wendi
I love all of the Littles books. I read them when I was in grade school. I even thought that maybe the Littles lived in my basement.
Scott Houston
I have read this book with my third graders and we have completed some comprehensive discussions and questions over the first dozen chapters. My cooperating teacher had the entire class read this book together, and I believe that by the time they are finished the first half of the school year will be over or the children will lose interest. This is a good story, and I think it is good for children to make connections with how they would relate to the characters if they were tiny as well. However...more
Ebookwormy
#1 of the Littles series, this is the one book I wanted to make sure to buy. It introduces "the Littles", "the Biggs" and "the Newcombs" with a clever tongue in cheek lightness that makes the books fun for adults as well as little readers.

What makes them fun for kids are simple adventure stories that feature concrete explanations of the ways the Little's have adapted every day materials to their tiny uses. These adaptations allow them to live a life similar to "the Biggs" while preventing their...more
Amy Clinton
Summary:
A fictional story about a family of tiny people with tails who live in the walls like mice. They live in the house with the Big family, one that is clean and neat. But then a messy family moves in and attracks mice which through the balance off. The tiny people have to find out how to clean up this mess while protecting themselves against the mice and cats.

Personal Response:
Super cute childrens book. Very imaginative and it allows the reader to see how messes need to be cleaned up becaus...more
Kazuki Mogi
I wondered about Littles a lot. It makes me thinking maybe there are the Littles. When i was reading, especially at the part of fighting with a mouse my hart was racing. From this book, I learned we can be friends with anyone like Tom did. And common knowledge is not the right thing at all. My favorite character is Tom. Because he tried mant things if some one think it's impossible or fool. I think that's so amazing minding. I thought Uncle Pete is stubborn because he care about old thought and...more
Ricci
Read this one out loud to the kids. It was a good and engaging story. I remember these books from when I as kid and I really liked them. It's about a family of tiny people with tails, who live in the walls of a house owned by normal sized people.
Britny Ohliger
This is the story of a family, the Littles. They are just like everyone else except they are 6 inches tall. They live in a big house (the Bigg's house to be specific and within the walls!) and have everything they need. In exchange for living there, the family fixes up the house, making sure to keep up with repairs. Just when things seemed to be going right, the Biggs leave on summer vacation and the Newcombs come stay to visit. Their mess attracts a dangerous enemy to the Littles; mice! As if i...more
Kerridwen
Oct 20, 2007 Kerridwen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young at heart
Who can't love stories about tiny people who live in the walls of our houses? They take some of our leftovers (food and stuff) and in return help maintain the house wiring, plumbing and so on.

Some readers may remember The Borrowers - this is sort of an updated version (with boy characters). The Littles also have tails and a sense of repaying the host family, which the Borrowers did not. The stories are also a bit more accessible for younger children.

I loved these stories as a kid and my 6yo love...more
Kristi
Gordon: "I didn't like it because when mom would read the book I felt like there was a dangerous animal behind me. I don't like reading the chapter ones, but I do like reading the easy read ones."
Audrey Rozman
A family of tiny people lives in the walls of a regular family. Problems arise and the Littles have to figure out a way to solve them.
Jenny
I loved the littles as a child. I was sure I would find them if I looked hard enough. My daughter also has loved them too.
*Queen Diva*
Wow, this book is a lot like The Borrowers and I think The Littles came out first. Wonder how John Lawrence Peterson feels about that... of course there were differences, but I couldn't help but think they were almost the same story.

First, I checked this book out to see if its one I can use at school. The good news is I can. More good news is that there are more books in the series so now I can add a few more books to my pile.

Second, the book was okay. It was your standard children's book from...more
Michele
I loved The Littles as a child, and still carry them in my school library today based upon that love.

But in asking myself what exactly it is that I loved about them, the first thing that comes to mind is tails! The little people that populate this book and the others following it have tails and that just fascinated me. I loved that some of the Littles lived in trees and had unusual ways of communicating with each other. I loved their adventures.

These stories are not nearly as complex as The Bo...more
Natalie
Fun read with the kids. Not too long, so great for younger elementary.
Liz Price Patel
Recommended by second grade.
Erina Komaki
1. SCHOLASTIC
Level= 3

2.Time 11/4=70min

3. 7words summary:little-family-house-afreid-mice-cat-friend

4.Main characters in this story were very little. If you were little like mice, what would you like to do?
-I'd like to ride dogs. It will be fun. Also, I want to play a trick on my friends.

5.I liked this story because it was easy to read.I could imagine if I were a little person, and it was very interesting. I want to be a friend with a cat and ride a cat like one of main characters.

Corinne
I think my nearly eight year old daughter best summed up the charm of this short, readable book, "What if there are Littles living in OUR walls??" When mice are your biggest enemies and your weapons are swords made of sewing needles, things can get pretty exciting - on a small scale, of course. My children loved this read aloud and begged for me every night. It was nostalgic for me, since I was a huge fan of the movie when I was a kid.

A good read for 2nd graders and up.
Amy
I remember loving this series as a child. I don't love it now as much as I used to, but my son does. The illustrations are excellent and the narrative is engaging. But it's not as fun to read out loud as other books are, meaning that the language is somewhat boring (to me). But the idea of an entire other world inhabited by miniature people (who make bedposts out of pencils and elevators out of soup cans) is still alluring and fascinating.
Jenny
Aug 03, 2013 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Ms. Ford
I read these books when there were no witches and vampires. It was what we read in elementary school. It was a fun series about a family of tiny little people that lived among people and used their cast offs. I have no idea what they would read like now but I remember purchasing this series books and I still have them packed away.

We even had the author come to our elementary school to speak and sign any of the copies we had.
Tanja
Cute little story about a family of tiny people ( with long tails) living in the walls and under the floorboards of a family's house. They leave in peaceful harmony, until the day the family goes on vacation and let's their place to another family. All too soon, this new family threatens the Little's existence and they are forced to take action. Cute little story' quick read, reminded me an awful lot of the Borrowers...
Duke2026
the littles are about little peopel like thumbelena but only they have rat tails.There is a hole family of the littles.There is a little sisster named lusy little and her older bruther tom willioms little.Every thing is perfcct when the peopel that live in the house go on vacation and the newcomes stay.Mrs.littele thinks that the newcomes will bring a cat. will the newcomes bring a cat Read on to finde out.
-julieta
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Tornado
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • The Little Riders
  • Nate the Great
  • Flat Stanley (Flat Stanley, #1)
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • Gooney Bird Greene
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Homer Price
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • Red Sails to Capri
The Littles Have A Wedding The Littles Go Exploring The Littles To The Rescue The Littles And The Trash Tinies The Littles Go To School