Start by marking “For Me and My Gal” as Want to Read:
For Me and My Gal

For Me and My Gal

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
It was a day that went from bad to worse. Just fired from her job and besieged by hysterical phone calls from her mother, Shelby Pratt has locked her keys in the car, capping off the lousy week that began with her grandmother breaking her hip. Collapsing in tears on the curb, she’s infuriated when Gwen Lawford, one of the women who just got her fired, stops to offer help.

G
Published May 17th 2011 by Bella Books

To ask other readers questions about For Me and My Gal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Me and My Gal

Susanne
May 10, 2014 Susanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: ff-fiction
Another enjoyable read by Robbi McCoy. Here the World War 2 history in San Francisco is explored, particularly focussing on both the role of women and the difficulties faced by lesbians from their army peers. The story is set in the present, we meet a struggling waitress Shelby who is trying to make ends meet. She has to put up with and appeasing her overbearing mother who can't cope with things not going her way. After being fired from her job and unable to pay her rent, Shelby moves into her g ...more
Ayse
Oct 19, 2012 Ayse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-romance
This book was so charming and feel good that some of the things that generally would annoy me in this genre are all forgiven. I am really enjoying Robbi McCoy's style of writing -- it is adorable without being cutsy, and in this particular story the two love stories are just so much fun in different ways that I cannot even fault the disjointed and rushed nature of it. I am still not sure exactly how long the story in the present day took -- it could have been a week or multiple months. Yet the s ...more
Bib
Aug 29, 2014 Bib rated it really liked it
I am reading Werlinger's Neither Present Time, and it reminds so much of this book. both are well written books. If you enjoyed this, you might like Silver Wings by H.P Munro too. The book was slow at first, hold out for the first 6 chapters, it just gets better.
Pamela
Jul 23, 2011 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Shelby Pratt was fired from her waitressing job at an upscale restaurant because a diner took umbrage with the service and the food. To add to her misery, her grandmother, Lucille, broke her hip and had to move to a rehabilitation facility, and Shelby agreed to temporarily move into Lucille’s home. She also agreed to work in her father’s architectural firm but, knowing it’s not what she wants to do with her architectural degree, put the start date off for a few months.

Gwen Lawford is the Directo
Tracy
Dec 06, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
I'm very stingy with 5 ratings, this one was teetering on the edge, and fell just slightly short. Not certain why, maybe not quite enough action for me. McCoy is always very strong on character and settings. To be fair, romances have a hard time making it past 3 for me, they really need some other original elements. This one had that. I really enjoy history and historical novels, especially when they deal with unknown, ignored and under represented historical events, so the juxtaposition of mode ...more
Ulla
Jul 30, 2011 Ulla rated it it was amazing
This is a truly wonderful story that skillfully combines two stories set in two very different times. It is RICH!
Morgan
Feb 10, 2014 Morgan rated it did not like it
Shelves: lesbian, crap
I don't quite understand the high praise for this book; maybe my expectations are unrealistically high. The story is told half in journal entries from WW2 and half in the present, and as ends up being typical, the story in the past is FAR more interesting than what's taking place in the present. Couple that with wincingly awful, cliched character types and this became a book I just wanted to get through in order to pick up something else more worthwhile.
Kennedy
Jun 26, 2015 Kennedy rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read with five likeable characters and entertaining secondary characters. Informative WWII story with an emphasis on women in the military.
Mary Deutcher
Sep 16, 2012 Mary Deutcher rated it it was amazing
I won this book. As a military person, this book really hit home. It was a beautiful story. I will definitely re-read this one.
Elaine Burnes
Jul 29, 2011 Elaine Burnes marked it as to-read
Recommended by Lambda Literary
Steele Blue
Steele Blue rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Ceejei
Ceejei added it
Apr 21, 2016
Valentina L
Valentina L rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Bryanna Reid
Bryanna Reid rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2016
Kayla Evans
Kayla Evans marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Tj Dinwiddie
Tj Dinwiddie rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
mc_euge
mc_euge rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Anique Johnson
Anique Johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
S
S marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Calee2009
Calee2009 marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Heartlines
Heartlines rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Becca Jenkins
Becca Jenkins marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Clara Ferreira
Clara Ferreira marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Pamcake
Pamcake rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From the author's website:
I was born and live in Northern California equidistant between the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra Nevada mountains. In addition to writing, I enjoy hiking, gardening, cooking, and theater. I am employed by a major west coast distribution company as a computer specialist and web designer.
Having dreamt of being a writer from a very young age, I have published poems, short sto
More about Robbi McCoy...