Start by marking “Remember Wake” as Want to Read:
Remember Wake

Remember Wake

Following the heroic battle of Wake Island, Colin Finnely must learn to survive inhuman conditions in a WWII Japanese prison camp. Back home, his fiancé, Maggie Braun, is unsure if Colin is alive. She faces agonizing decisions that could alter their lives.
Published March 12th 2002 by Victory House Press

To ask other readers questions about Remember Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remember Wake

Diane
Aug 18, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-classroom
Reading the side stories and forgotten bits of history can really help to give a bigger picture of the history we learned as kids. Funke does a great job of delivering some of those hidden bits in this fictionalized account of the taking of Wake Island and subsequent Japanese POW stories from WWII. This is a good read after reading Unbroken. It is a good fit for my classroom shelves.
Mike
Sep 07, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
Ah yes, my sister's first. Actually a very intersting story about factual events of WWII that I had no idea about.

Recommended...
Gwen
May 05, 2009 Gwen rated it really liked it
We met this author at the Catholic History fair and bought 2 of her books; this one and the No-No Boys, Book 2 in a children's series about different children and their experiences in WWII. Teresa Funke does extensive research and her stories are based on actual interviews of people who lived during that time.

Remember Wake is an appropriate title for a book about an event most people don't remember. In fact a lot of people didn't even hear about Wake during the War or if they did, soon forgot a
Teri
Dec 29, 2012 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I thoroughly enjoyed Teresa R. Funke's Remember Wake. It was a part of WWII (or any war for the matter) that I have not read/researched much about. The story revolves around Colin and Maggie, a young couple engaged to be married. Just before the war, Colin decides to take a short term job on Wake Island in the pacific to save money for their new life together. Based on a true story, Colin's story takes us to Wake Island during Pearl Harbor and the taking of the island by Japanese forces. We see ...more
Drew
Jun 15, 2014 Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy through FirstReads. This book was outstanding. It is both packed with emotion and vivid detail. I found myself unable to put it down. It is not my normal genre, however I will definitely be looking into more from this author in the future. This book is at times disturbingly brutal, but does an excellent job at attempting to portray how the conditions actually were during WWII. Because of these conditions, one is never sure what will happen next. Will it be something good or bad? Thi ...more
Christine
Jul 09, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads. It was pretty great. I liked that it not only addressed what the prisoner was going through but it also addressed what his fiancé and family went through while he was in the camps.

The chapters were short which made it easy to get to a good stopping point. Plus, once Colin was put on the ship, I don't know that I could have taken long chapters describing the conditions and treatment. It was all ready gut-wrenching with the length it was.

The author wri
Kitty Honeycutt
Sep 30, 2012 Kitty Honeycutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Title: "Remember Wake”
Author: Teresa R. Funke
Published By: Victory House Press
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: Teresa Funke is a historical fiction writing genius. “Remember Wake,” is a beautifully written novel that brings you up close and personal with the way life truly was in 1941.
The characters are carefully written and their romance is beautiful. This book is a real treasure for history and romance lovers alive.
Jane G Meyer
Jun 02, 2007 Jane G Meyer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adults, WWII folk
Shelves: adultfiction
I loved learning about this interesting piece of history. Wake Island was attacked by the Japanese in WWII and the marines and civilians were take to prison camps for the next four year. The tone was pure, and true. At first it felt too simple, compared with the writing that we encounter today, but the book took place in the 40's and after only a short while I was taken by the authentic feel of the characters and their world... It was a great page-turner.
Andrea
Aug 29, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone - Adult
Recommended to Andrea by: My friend
If you think you have a hard life, read this book. Any war is awful and to see what happens through the pages of a book is as close as you can get to the real thing. Colin is a fighter throught the story using sheer will power to stay alive. Good book.
Nancy (Colorado)
Jul 15, 2009 Nancy (Colorado) rated it liked it
I had Teresa's son, Brian, in my third grade class at Lopez. Got her to come and talk to the class about being a writer (2001-2002 at Lopez Elementary).
Rebecca Zimmerman
I found this a fast read. My only complaint is the story lacked in-depth character development.
Noël
Jul 09, 2012 Noël rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recieved a free copy of this book from the author when I won a giveaway here. I received the book in the mail the other day, and I'm hoping to read it soon, and review it when I'm done.
Karen G Clesen
Karen G Clesen rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2016
Laura rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2008
Lisa Matheny
Lisa Matheny rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2008
Pauline
Pauline rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Sheala Henke
Sheala Henke rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2015
Mandy
Mandy rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Mary Steiner
Mary Steiner rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Bunny Goshorn
Bunny Goshorn rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2009
John Kitlas
John Kitlas rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Alexa Orr
Alexa Orr rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
Trai Cartwright
Trai Cartwright rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Gloria
Gloria rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Read by Theme: Remember wake 1 11 Jul 16, 2012 03:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Removing most popular book image cover 2 42 Jan 20, 2012 02:25PM
  • Mental Dessert
  • Seeking Wisdom from God: A Quest for Truth
  • The Afterlife of Emerson Tang
  • Death at Windsor Castle (Her Majesty Investigates #3)
  • 28 Bunkers
  • How the Sphinx Got to the Museum
  • The Ninth Avatar
  • The Chlorine Revolution: Water Disinfection and the Fight to Save Lives
  • The Trauma Tool Kit: Healing PTSD from the Inside Out
Teresa Funke is the author of six novels for adults and children about World War II including Remember Wake, Dancing in Combat Boots, and the Home-Front Heroes Series. She is also a popular writer's coach offering one-on-one and group coaching to clients nationwide. She is also a keynote speaker.

Her short stories, articles, and essays have appeared in numerous magazines, newspapers, and anthologie
More about Teresa R. Funke...

“I let all that anger and worry go because they don't belong to me any more than the future does. And I don't wanna feel them anyhow, because the truth is, whatever happens when this war ends, here and now, far from Richmond County, I'm freer than I've ever been.” 2 likes
“This is how hatred begins -- with a muffled laugh on a hot night and a knock on the door.” 2 likes