Start by marking “Remember Wake” as Want to Read:
Remember Wake

Remember Wake

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Following the heroic battle of Wake Island, Colin Finnely must learn to survive inhuman conditions in a WWII Japanese prison camp. Back home, his fiancé, Maggie Braun, is unsure if Colin is alive. She faces agonizing decisions that could alter their lives.
Published March 12th 2002 by Victory House Press

To ask other readers questions about Remember Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remember Wake

Diane
Reading the side stories and forgotten bits of history can really help to give a bigger picture of the history we learned as kids. Funke does a great job of delivering some of those hidden bits in this fictionalized account of the taking of Wake Island and subsequent Japanese POW stories from WWII. This is a good read after reading Unbroken. It is a good fit for my classroom shelves.
Mike
Ah yes, my sister's first. Actually a very intersting story about factual events of WWII that I had no idea about.

Recommended...
Gwen
We met this author at the Catholic History fair and bought 2 of her books; this one and the No-No Boys, Book 2 in a children's series about different children and their experiences in WWII. Teresa Funke does extensive research and her stories are based on actual interviews of people who lived during that time.

Remember Wake is an appropriate title for a book about an event most people don't remember. In fact a lot of people didn't even hear about Wake during the War or if they did, soon forgot a
Drew
I won a copy through FirstReads. This book was outstanding. It is both packed with emotion and vivid detail. I found myself unable to put it down. It is not my normal genre, however I will definitely be looking into more from this author in the future. This book is at times disturbingly brutal, but does an excellent job at attempting to portray how the conditions actually were during WWII. Because of these conditions, one is never sure what will happen next. Will it be something good or bad? Thi ...more
Teri
I thoroughly enjoyed Teresa R. Funke's Remember Wake. It was a part of WWII (or any war for the matter) that I have not read/researched much about. The story revolves around Colin and Maggie, a young couple engaged to be married. Just before the war, Colin decides to take a short term job on Wake Island in the pacific to save money for their new life together. Based on a true story, Colin's story takes us to Wake Island during Pearl Harbor and the taking of the island by Japanese forces. We see ...more
Christine
I won this book from Goodreads First Reads. It was pretty great. I liked that it not only addressed what the prisoner was going through but it also addressed what his fiancé and family went through while he was in the camps.

The chapters were short which made it easy to get to a good stopping point. Plus, once Colin was put on the ship, I don't know that I could have taken long chapters describing the conditions and treatment. It was all ready gut-wrenching with the length it was.

The author wri
Kitty Honeycutt
Book Title: "Remember Wake”
Author: Teresa R. Funke
Published By: Victory House Press
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: Teresa Funke is a historical fiction writing genius. “Remember Wake,” is a beautifully written novel that brings you up close and personal with the way life truly was in 1941.
The characters are carefully written and their romance is beautiful. This book is a real treasure for history and romance lovers alive.
Jane G Meyer
Jun 02, 2007 Jane G Meyer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults, WWII folk
Shelves: adultfiction
I loved learning about this interesting piece of history. Wake Island was attacked by the Japanese in WWII and the marines and civilians were take to prison camps for the next four year. The tone was pure, and true. At first it felt too simple, compared with the writing that we encounter today, but the book took place in the 40's and after only a short while I was taken by the authentic feel of the characters and their world... It was a great page-turner.
Andrea
Sep 02, 2012 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone - Adult
Recommended to Andrea by: My friend
If you think you have a hard life, read this book. Any war is awful and to see what happens through the pages of a book is as close as you can get to the real thing. Colin is a fighter throught the story using sheer will power to stay alive. Good book.
Noël
I recieved a free copy of this book from the author when I won a giveaway here. I received the book in the mail the other day, and I'm hoping to read it soon, and review it when I'm done.
Nancy (Colorado)
I had Teresa's son, Brian, in my third grade class at Lopez. Got her to come and talk to the class about being a writer (2001-2002 at Lopez Elementary).
Rebecca Zimmerman
I found this a fast read. My only complaint is the story lacked in-depth character development.
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Lily Ribeiro
Lily Ribeiro marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Patricia Stoltey
Patricia Stoltey marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Tera
Tera marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Teresa Funke
Sep 24, 2014 Teresa Funke added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colorado-authors
David B.
David B. marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Georgia Lytton
Georgia Lytton marked it as to-read
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jackie Wolfred
Jackie Wolfred marked it as to-read
Sheri Darby
Sheri Darby marked it as to-read
Read by Theme: Remember wake 1 11 Jul 16, 2012 03:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Removing most popular book image cover 2 42 Jan 20, 2012 02:25PM
  • Seeking Wisdom from God: A Quest for Truth
  • 28 Bunkers
  • Mental Dessert
  • Death at Windsor Castle (Her Majesty Investigates #3)
  • The Trauma Tool Kit: Healing PTSD from the Inside Out
  • Journey to Virginland: CATENA
  • Bootlicker
  • Sandustee: The Search for the Nazarene's Code
  • The Chlorine Revolution: Water Disinfection and the Fight to Save Lives
  • A Cry of Stone
  • Partners In Passion: A Guide to Great Sex, Emotional Intimacy and Long-term Love
  • Nelson's Complete Book of Bible Maps and Charts: Old and New Testament
  • The Ninth Avatar
  • A Spiritual Renegade's Guide to the Good Life
  • Wren
  • Living in Conscious Harmony: A Spiritual Guide to Being in the Now
  • Traveling Between the Worlds: Conversations with Contemporary Shamans
  • Westward to Home (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #1)
Teresa Funke is the author of six novels for adults and children about World War II including Remember Wake, Dancing in Combat Boots, and the Home-Front Heroes Series. She is also a popular writer's coach offering one-on-one and group coaching to clients nationwide. She is also a keynote speaker.

Her short stories, articles, and essays have appeared in numerous magazines, newspapers, and anthologie
More about Teresa R. Funke...
Dancing in Combat Boots The No-No Boys (Home-Front Heroes) V for Victory (Home-Front Heroes) Doing My Part (Home-Front Heroes) Wave Me Good-bye (Home-Front Heroes)

“We make the things that matter, matter.” 8 likes
“I let all that anger and worry go because they don't belong to me any more than the future does. And I don't wanna feel them anyhow, because the truth is, whatever happens when this war ends, here and now, far from Richmond County, I'm freer than I've ever been.” 2 likes