Luke's Surprise (Shifters' Haven, #1)

Luke's Surprise (Shifters' Haven #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  659 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Is true love with your soul mate worth risking your life for?

When werewolf Luke Morgan runs a simple errand with his brother Kelan, the last thing he expects to find at their neighbour’s ranch is his soul mate. The incredibly sexy ranch foreman Mark Malone is every gay man’s fantasy. The only problem? Neither Luke nor Mark is gay.

Unable to deny the attraction they feel for...more
Published April 25th 2011 by Total E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about Luke's Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luke's Surprise

With Caution by J.L. LangleyChange of Heart by Mary CalmesWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
127th out of 652 books — 926 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneWicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
426th out of 438 books — 701 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really enjoyed this one. It was pretty cute and it had quite a bit of suspense.

I loved both of the MCs. Luke was so adorable. He kinda switches off from being a strong character before meeting Mark to becoming timid to becoming strong again when the story is over. He's spunky and cute when he does this adorable blushing thing when anything related to being intimate is said or done. I found it hilarious and then there's his snoring. Mark loved to rag on him about it and Luke would always count...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Apr 06, 2011 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bubbles Hunty by: Everyone
Great story with intriguing characters. The story flowed smoothly with lots of action and a few twists it kept my attention until the end. I loved the two M/C's, they were perfect for each other.

(view spoiler)

description
Heather C
This was a sweet shifter-mate story and I really enjoyed it. Plus it was gay-for-you without any angst! Luke and Mark were so cute and...umm...HOT! (For two straight guys, they had lots and lots of hot gay sex!!!)

Looking forward to reading Cody's story next. Ooh...and Kelan's too; he had such a great sense of humor. (view spoiler)...more
Leaundra
I loved this book and it's a great start to a series. I thought Luke was adorable and I loved him and Mark together. I can't wait for the next one in the series:-)
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I did it to myself, I wanted to read this one...
I always finish books or at least try to, but I didn't get to finish this one..I just couldn't do it, which is saying a lot!
Within the first 10 pages you have again all the tropes ...uhg, I don't mind tropes, a book needs something to keep it moving but please please please do they all need to be in there?
(view spoiler)...more
Deeze
Totally disapointed. With the plot of two straight men finding out they were mated I was looking forward to a indepth look at thier feelings. To be drawn to each other as mates but repelled by the thought of physical contact. Instead of thoughts in turmoil I got straight to it sex. The rest of the plot was too rushed. No sooner did something happen than it was resolved.

A great idea that for me never fullfilled its promise.
Maya
I enjoyed this story very much. Both MC's were fantastic and I really loved the fact that even though Luke was the smaller of the two he was really the stronger character. Even though both MC's aren't gay you would never know it considering the instant physical attraction they had to each other. Their acceptance of having a male mate is rather angst free and they act upon their attraction without much thought or concern. I believe that Cody's book will be next but I have to say that I am really...more
Karen K
I enjoyed this book and I think my love of shifters allowed me to overlook at few things that sometimes pull me from the story. The insta-love, though I know it's common with shifters finding their mates, was a little over-the-top for me basically because the two MCs were straight and had never even considered being with a man. I still liked Luke and Mark a lot - they were both beautiful, thoughtful and interesting characters, I just had to make myself ignore the quick "love" aspect for the firs...more
Lasha
JoAnn
Banging Hot Scale: 5 BUNS

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★★

Luke has just graduated from college and was living at home with his brother and alpha of the wolf pack, Kelan. While helping his brother at a pack member’s farm, Luke finds his mate. Oh, and did I mention that Luke is straight.

Mark just moved to the pack area and was starting a job as foreman on a ranch. While checking out his new job, he also finds his mate and is stunned. His mate is a man and he is straight.

After a rocky start, both Luke and Mark le...more
Jacqueline
What a outstanding read. This particular wolf shifter story takes one on a twisted ride. Obsession to the tenth! The chemistry, between Mark and Luke was HOT! Overall the story was just lovable. LOVED IT!
Janelle
I really loved this book, and I can't wait for the next. If the rest of the series is an indicator from this first book then I will keep reading!
Veronica / Miss V
I really like Luke and Mark they were a wonderful couple, the cover is also to die for.
I did enjoy this novella. I gave it 2 stars for two main reasons. I wish I could give it 2.5 stars.

First, as a stand alone story there are a lot of holes and I was left feeling a little confused. It is clearly part of a bigger picture that will be developed in future installments. There is a sub-story about anti-gay sentiments in the communtiy. That is not really fully fleshed out. There is also a stalker sub-plot. Honestly, not much happened with the stalker sub-plot.

Second, is because Luke and...more
Tara
I liked this book. Luke is straight and surprised when he meets his mate, another straight male. This book covers a lot of things. There is plain old prejudice. There is a not all that stable type of guy chasing our hero. And there is sex. There is also an awful lot of British spelling & phrasing for a book set in what I believe to be Texas. (I'm talking- tyre, kerb, neighbour...) It was a little distracting.

Also by the end of the epilogue, I know when the next two books are set. This is gr...more
Beck
This was an okay shifter romance without anything to pull it out of the mediocre ... there was no twist or wow factor or brilliant word-smithing ... it was simply a formulaic portrayal of fairly ordinary werewolves with the cliché angst one expects from this genre ... the only time I was moved to any depth of emotional response by this book was when the character of Luke was repetitively referred to as 'pretty' & was given an almost feminine role ... in 'gay-for-you' I find it almost like ch...more
Gigi
I enjoyed this book, the first in a series of wolf pack brothers, who all happen to be gay, living on a ranch in Houston, Texas. While I normally find insta-love a plot cop-out, this is a shifter story where wolves have mates, so it is easily explained, making it much easier to swallow.

The first book in the series focuses on youngest brother Luke, just home from collage. Luke is not gay, but soon realizes he has a male mate, Mark, who is also not gay. It takes all of 5 minutes for this to not ma...more
Honey
This was the perfect read for me after a couple of previous disasters I just read. The characters were sweet and great together, even if they verged on clichéd at times, but it was a great start to a new series and I’m happy I don’t have to wait to read the next one since it comes out today! The only thing keeping this from 5 stars was that everything was just a little too perfect. I don't require angst exactly in my books, to be honest too much puts me off, but everything fell into place a litt...more
Lee
Ms. Lewis' series, Shifters' Haven, is very tightly written and in my opinion must be read in order, starting with book one, Luke's Surprise. By not following the series in order you run the risk of missing some of the subtlety placed call-backs to the previous books.

As a wolf shifter story there isn't too much new or inventive that is added in this book, but what we are given is solid, consistent, and entertaining. I have the next three books in the series in my library and I look forward to r

Lauren Wilder

Wow!I loved this book. I was delighted to receive an early copy and I rate it very highly!
I loved the characters and the dialougue flowed smoothly, it really drew me into their lives. The world building was good and the story was suspensful and kept my attention to the very end.
Luke was so loveable and Mark was great as the alpha male always wanting to protect his young lover. There were a couple of grammatical errors but they were easy to overlook and I am sure that was simply because Lavinia...more
Yvonne
The blurb made it seem there would be an issue that Mark & Luke are fated mates but they are both not gay. But Mark & Luke dispenses with it very quickly and makes it a non issue. This takes away any potential conflicts that would have made the story more interesting. Some of the plot & the characters felt a bit cliched. This is still a moderately nice light story if you're looking for that sort of thing.
Davina
at 1st i was like 'blessed be i can't force to finish this' then later on am like wow really nice. guess i was in a foul mood from a previous book when i started reading this one. had me trying to find out who's the bad guy, then what he'll do next. soooo like this
Blackraven's Reviews
Luke’s Surprise is an enjoyable read and right from the beginning I found myself really liking both Luke and his oldest brother Kelan. To read this review in its entirety please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
Makayla Thomas
My Review: How about a rancher with an accounting degree that shifts into a werewolf? I was definitely intrigued just....

READ MORE HERE: http://makaylasbookreviews.blogspot.c...
Trisha Harrington
I really liked the couple, and this is what I would call gay for you. There was a nice bit of drama, but nothing too angsty. This was just right. And although it's not my favourite, I'm so glad I read it.
Tracy
this is a good series, I enjoyed this first book and look forward to reading the rest
MandyM
I feel like I've read this story before. Very light and fluffy.
Kristine Cassan
This was a very well written book. Excellent!!
Phaney
May 23, 2013 Phaney rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
2011 Review:

In its favour, it was totally inoffensive. Okay, so it was about as deep as your average puddle of rainwater and people started to be a lil stupid for effect and the plot was not only overused but hellishly simple, but eh. It was mildly cute for the most part, even if it wasn’t particularly well written.
I actually liked the eldest brother best; he had a fun edge to him, despite being the alpha and all. The main protagonists were satisfyingly mushy about each other.

On the down side, I...more
Kelly Maybedog
I really enjoyed this book because there was lots of suspense and danger and action. It hit all the right buttons. I loved the characters and I liked how the two didn't really even balk at the whole GFY thing. The town was a little too perfect and the bad guys a little too awful, but the MCs and the whole family had issues so they weren't perfect. There were also little teases that made me want to read the next books immediately to see what was going on. That's a really great start to a series.

B...more
  • Mark's Not Gay (Brac Pack, #11)
  • Surviving the Change
  • From Pack to Pride (Supernatural Mates #1)
  • Relentless (Southwestern Shifters, #2)
  • Ethan's Freedom (Portals, #1)
  • Forbidden Mate (Holland Brothers, #4)
  • Pretty Baby  (Wolf Creek Pack, #7)
  • Shy Cowboy (Uncommon Cowboys, #3)
4719830
Lavinia discovered reading at an early age and could always be found with her nose in a book. She loved getting lost in a fantasy world even then. When her parents bought her a typewriter for Christmas at aged eleven, her fate was sealed. She spent hours dreaming up characters and creating stories. Not a lot has changed.

Lavinia is a Welsh Valley girl who has lived all over the UK. Today she lives...more
More about Lavinia Lewis...
Cody's Revelation (Shifters' Haven, #2) Kelan's Pursuit (Shifters' Haven, #3) Aaron's Awakening (Shifters' Haven #4) Nate's Deputy (Shifters' Haven #5) Gregory's Rebellion (Shifters' Haven, #6)