Start by marking “McSweeney's #39” as Want to Read:
McSweeney's #39

McSweeney's #39 (McSweeney's Quarterly Concern #39)

Each issue of the quarterly is completely redesigned. There have been hardcovers and paperbacks, an issue with two spines, an issue with a magnetic binding, an issue that looked like a bundle of junk mail, and an issue that looked like a sweaty human head. McSweeney’s has won multiple literary awards, including two National Magazine Awards for fiction, and has had numerous

Published December 27th 2011 by McSweeney's

To ask other readers questions about McSweeney's #39, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McSweeney's #39

Patrick McCoy
McSweeney's 39 is handsome hard bound volume with some great inserts of photos of people running in various settings by former MTV VJay Tabitha Soren (and current wife of Michael Lewis). However, the real attraction of this volume is that it contained stories by some of my favorite contemporary writers and more than a few surprises. I sold on the promise of a new Karen Sisco (from Out of Sight) story, "Chick Killer," from Elmore Leonard, fiction from Spokane native Jess Walter, "Anything Helps," ...more
Kerry
Jan 18, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it
Every year, I attend the Selected Shorts story readings at the Getty. At the end of the program, the audience is asked to fill out comment cards and suggest stories for future readings. This year, I'll be ready with my recommendations from McSweeney's 39.

This is a really good, strong collection. Just about everything was good, but here are my particular favorites:

--Carlos the Impossible, by J.T.K. Belle (made me a little misty-eyed at the end)
--Fifty Ways to Eat Your Lover, by Amelia Gray
--They
Joe
Jan 23, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
There are some quality pieces in this issue of McSweeney's Quarterly. Tom Barbash on the Shah. Roberto Bolaño poem, "The Neochileans." Yannick Murphy - Secret Language. Amelia Gray's "Fifty Ways to Eat Your Lover" is absolutely magnificent. Elmore Leonard - Chick Killer is also good. And, finally, J.T.K. Belle's fantastic bull-fighting story, "Carlos the Impossible."

This issue is worth your time and money.
Brian
Jul 08, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it
There is a lot to like in this issue as both the nonfiction and fiction entries are great. From a non-fiction perspective, Jennie Erin Smith's "Benjamin Bucks," is a fascinating read into the life of an expat con-man in Africa. From a fiction perspective I really enjoyed Elmore Leonard's "Chick Killer," it was worth the price of admission on it's own. Add Carlos the Impossible, a story by J. T. K. Belle which made me laugh out loud, and you have some great writing.
Cacomixl
Jan 09, 2012 Cacomixl rated it liked it
A solid literary issue with some excellent nonfiction, "The Right-hand Man to the Shah of Iran", "Benjamin Bucks" on Ugandan con men, and Vaclav Havel's "Politics and Conscience" in particular. "Bumsters", "They All Stand Up and Sing", "Secret Language", "Giant of the Sea", and "Carlos the Impossible" were standout fiction pieces.
Lynne Wright
Aug 05, 2015 Lynne Wright rated it really liked it
I think my favourite story was the one about the huge tarantula that appears one day to befriend and bring solace to a dying woman by crouching on her face. Or Fifty Ways to Eat Your Lover, which was simultaneously kick-ass, darkly funny, and poignant.
Erik
Apr 29, 2012 Erik rated it liked it
Some strong stuff toward the end, especially "Carlos the Impossible" by J.T.K. Belles. Superb writing.
Johnpatrick
Jan 11, 2012 Johnpatrick rated it it was amazing
I've been reading the flagship quarterly from McSweeney's religiously for nine years. Given everything I have missed, it's amazing to me that I haven't missed a single issue in nearly a decade, that I continue to pack and unpack them for the purpose of accompanying me in a string of apartments. Issue 39 is a reminder of why I attach such fetishistic value to these books.

This issue is divided fairly evenly between fiction and non-fiction, the non-fiction representing a smattering of speeches, ess
Jamie
Jul 21, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
What is indispensable here: Václav Havel’s essay, “Politics and Conscience.” What is good: Jess Walter’s “Anything Helps.” And what is great fun: Elmore Leonard’s “Chick Killer,” his return of Karen Sisco.

(Karen Sisco!)

But yes, Elmore and Havel, and even Walter, I presume, are to be had in better ways elsewhere. The rest didn’t quite live up to the fun or indispensable. Certainly nothing as indispensable as this, more relevant today than in 1984, Havel echoing Wendell Berry (et. al.) from half a
Elijah Kinch Spector
Nov 19, 2015 Elijah Kinch Spector rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was the first McSweeney's I've read, and while the nonfiction was uniformly great, the fiction was, well, up and down. The Elmore Leonard story was, of course, awesome, and "Anything Helps" and the last two stories were also great. From there things went a little downhill to some stuff that I liked while I was reading it but had issues with as soon as I'd start to think about it, and one piece that I absolutely hated. (I may decide to write about that last one mentioned at lenght someday.)

E
Michael
May 24, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Havel essay and the nonfiction work by Tom Babash, but the real gems for me were the short stories at the end of the book. I sobbed a bit during "Anything Helps" by Jess Walter, smiled a whole lot through "Louella Tarantula" by Benjamin Weissman, and rooted for the bull (and was ultimately satisfied) in J. T. K. Belle's "Carlos The Impossible." Another great issue, McSweeny's...I'll be renewing my subscription!
Mark
Jun 09, 2015 Mark rated it it was ok
this issue of mcsweeneys is more notable for its non-fiction than fiction, in particular for the timely inclusion of a long essay from vaclav havel so close to the great man's passing. that and the piece about reptile smugglers and con men in uganda were the most compelling. among the fiction, 'louella tarantula' (about a son losing his mother to cancer, though also about a spider) had personal resonance but probably 'secret language' and 'giant of the sea' were probably favorites.
Jacob
Feb 10, 2012 Jacob rated it really liked it
Nice solid issue of McSweeney's, I liked the transition for nonfiction/reportage to fiction as the issue progressed. And, even better, this is the second straight issue of the quarterly without problems with the binding.
Arjen
May 23, 2012 Arjen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-dutch
Benjamin Bucks by Jennie Erin Smith, The Shah's Man (Tom Barbash, non-fiction about the last Shah's page) and Vaclac Havel's address stood out for me.

This time there are two mini foto album inserts with nice images to spice things up.
D'Anne
Jul 30, 2015 D'Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, non-fiction
This issue seemed heavier on the non-fiction than fiction. The piece about the Shah of Iran was really interesting. Benjamin Weissman’s "Louella Tarantula" was probably my favorite story if only for the last scene. And I really enjoyed "They All Stand Up and Sing" by Julie Hecht.
Grant
Jun 11, 2013 Grant rated it really liked it
Another solid issue of McSweeney's. I really enjoyed "Benjamin Bucks", "Bumsters", "Secret Language", and "Louella Tarantula". Really the only two I didn't really care for were "The Neochileans" and "Politics and Conscience".
Rand Renfrow
Jan 03, 2014 Rand Renfrow rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
McSweeney's never ceases to amaze me, they never make a mistake, every collection is fantastic. Even still, this one is one of the better ones.
Julia
Dec 26, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
It's always great to read a Havel piece. I also loved Benjamin Weissman’s Louella Tarantula so much. It's the type of language that sounds best read aloud.
Lauren
Apr 01, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
i don't know why, but it wasn't my favorite issues...some issues just grab me and i pore over them while some feel like more of a struggle.
Fritz
Dec 10, 2012 Fritz rated it really liked it
This is great. MSweeney's compiles the greatest short stories AND thoughtprovoking essays. Must read for any literary enthusiasts.
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
James
James rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Ricky
Ricky rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Tom Steele
Tom Steele rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2012
David
David rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Mitch Lillie
Mitch Lillie rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Scott Foley
Scott Foley rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • McSweeney's #13
  • Grantland Quarterly, Vol. 2
  • I.
  • Read Hard: Five Years of Great Writing from the Believer
  • The McSweeney's Book of Poets Picking Poets
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories
  • Further Joy
  • Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...]
  • Monkey Brain Sushi: New Tastes in Japanese Fiction
  • Misadventure
  • Lemon
  • Inside This Place, Not of It: Narratives from Women's Prisons
  • This Shape We're In
  • The Convalescent
  • English as She Is Spoke: Being a Comprehensive Phrasebook of the English Language, Written by Men to Whom English was Entirely Unknown
  • Art of McSweeney's
  • Thanks and Have Fun Running the Country: Kids' Letters to President Obama
Dave Eggers is the author of ten books, including most recently Your Fathers, Where Are They? And the Prophets, Do They Live Forever?, The Circle and A Hologram for the King, which was a finalist for the 2012 National Book Award. He is the founder of McSweeney’s, an independent publishing company based in San Francisco that produces books, a quarterly journal of new writing (McSweeney’s Quarterly ...more
More about Dave Eggers...

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • McSweeney's #1
  • McSweeney's #6
  • McSweeney's #7
  • McSweeney's #8
  • McSweeney's #9
  • McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales (McSweeney's #10)