The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  61,004 ratings  ·  6,528 reviews
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the...more
Published January 2nd 2012 by Poppy/Little Brown (first published January 1st 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberPushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
2012 YA Contemporaries
2nd out of 284 books — 2,441 voters
YA Novels of 2012
45th out of 1,256 books — 10,026 voters

More lists with this book...

Lora
Jan 11, 2012 Lora rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who are looking to meet Anna and the French Kiss's boring stepsister
Honestly, for having a name like The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight and a synopsis promising a British boy named Oliver, this book is pretty damn disappointing. Although it does deliver on the British boy front (who, frankly, really isn't even that great), it doesn't deliver much else.

SPLFS starts off with Hadley Sullivan missing her flight to London at JFK. Granted, Hadley would rather see her dentist than attend her father's wedding to a woman she's never even met, but her fath...more
Lisa O.
This is my second book of the year and the second I read during a sleepless night. The similarity ends there, unfortunately. While Split kept me up because it was so good I just HAD to finish it, this one... well, it was only insomnia. And to think I was so eager to read it. See, I'm all for vanilla romance, it's light, relaxing and cute.
But this book did not even remotely relax me.

The premise is interesting. Hadley, on her way to London to attend her much dreaded father's wedding, misses her f...more
Kristi
This books is so utterly FABULOUS! It’s one my favorite love stories and it happens in a mere twenty four hour period. Don’t worry about the instalove thing happening here. That’s something that I can’t stand and TSPoLaFS (did you like how I shortened the titles there, whew it’s a long one) does not have instalove. It has a progressive, genuine building of a relationship that is sweet and endearing.

Both characters are very relatable and I loved their scenes together. They just play off of each o...more
Giselle
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Now this is what I call a plain ol' romantic love story that has everything you want and more. It's definitely perfect for this time of year when you can cuddle up near a fire and just let your heart be filled. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight will leave you breathless and just when you think you can't take any more sweetness, you find out the reason behind this mouthful of a title and you're swept off your feet y...more
Ariana
If I'll dream tonight, I'll dream of this book.

I think I fell in love.. at first sight.. with this book.
I finished reading it with happy tears in my eyes. It made me sad, it made me happy, it made my heart race even though there wasn’t too much action, but the amount of emotions per page were definitely too many for my heart to handle them properly.

This book went from the ‘must read’ shelf to the ‘most beautiful romances’ shelf in a blink of an eye. I was caught up in this story without knowing...more
Aleeeeeza
*3.5 stars*

it's cute, it's fluffy, and if you go into it expecting anything else...joke's on you! really. it's true that from the summary you think there're gonna be a few more swoony moments and a little less of family drama, but all the same, it's a great relaxing read i would recommend to fans of freshly-written contemps.

and of course, i have to add--it really helped that i imagined oliver as this:

[image error]

suh-woon or what?!
♥Rachel♥
I've been dying to get my hands on this book from the moment I read the blurb on it. It does not disappoint. This is such a sweet and heartbreaking story at the same time. The story is sweet, in the scenes with Oliver, and heartbreaking in the ones with Hadley's dad and family drama.

Hadley is flying from Connecticut to London to attend her father's wedding. She ends up missing her flight by four minutes and is bumped to the next one. This makes things very tight, because now she'll be landing a...more
Emily May
3.5

This was a super-short read - 215 pages of pretty large print - but it was fun, heart-warming and I managed to finish it within a couple of hours. I didn't quite take enough from it to give it 4 stars, but then it was far better than some of the books I've rated 3 stars in the past, hence the rating. I confess that I would not have read this book if the publishers had not provided a free copy for review, I rarely like romance books and need something else to support the novel, a mystery for e...more
Reynje
After all, it’s one thing to run away when someone’s chasing you. It’s entirely another to be running all alone.
As something of a sceptic (well, okay, a romantic trapped in the body of a realist masquerading as a cynic), the title alone was enough to tell me that this book would be fighting an uphill battle with me. While I like the quirk factor of the phrase ”The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight”, I’ll admit that there’s a part of me that reads that line and scoffs. Zero...more
oliviasbooks
The Fermentation Process of Mayonnaise .That would have been one of several other possible title versions for the young adult novel by Jennifer E. Smith. Its connection to the plot would have been only slightly less tangible than that of the ultimately chosen one. For both are simply examples of the fake summer research topics Yale University student Oliver wittily invents on the spot to impress the girl in the airplane seat next to his.

The big difference between the saucy title and the lovey-...more
Jude

and it was

lol, I have no idea how to explain yet. It was a simple story really, sweet, the beginning of a bigger one for Hadley and Oliver; but there were so many little details and things that just made the story so great and complete. I'm smiling like a fool right now, I seriously can't wait to re-read it. It's such a beautiful book that every time I glance at it I just get a bigger smile, and I'm sure it's going to be that way for a long time.

Oliver and Hadley were perfect. Not in a no fla...more
Jasprit

“Hadley presses her forehead against the window
of the taxi and once again finds herself smiling at the
thought of him. He’s like a song she can’t get out of her
head. Hard as she tries the melody of their meeting runs
through her mind on an endless loop each time as surprisingly
sweet as the last, like a lullaby like a hymn and she
doesn’t think she could ever get tired of hearing it”

The statistical probability of love at first sight was one of my highly anticipated books of the year and...more
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, is a cute, fluffy fast read. It's short, sweet, bitter - all lovingly packaged into one.

Hadley is headed to her fathers wedding, but when she misses her flight, she finds herself face to face with gangly, shy, sweet Oliver, who offers to help with her suitcase. At that moment, she feels a familiar flutter at the pit of her stomach. And when their lock eyes, for some reason, she doesn't like the thought of them going their separate ways. As they...more
Nomes
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a story that takes place entirely over a 24 hour period. Hadley is flying to London to attend her fathers wedding and misses her original flight by 4 minutes ~ which means she meets cute British boy, Oliver, instead (and spends the red-eye with him).

Despite the cover and title of the book, the main tension driving the story is not the (fall in love in one day) love story, but the story of Hadley and her father, presented through flashbacks an...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
...and that's why Lisa reads the vanillas and I stick with urban fantasy. This is such a Lisa book. My books have guns and bombs and spells gone wrong. Not airports and divorced parents. Yawn.

EDIT: Okay, so in the end, this was SO not a Lisa book. See? What do I know? If you want to read a real Lisa book, read Catching Jordan, but first make sure to check out her amazing review HERE.
Bayli
 photo KIssinginrain_zps72136665.jpg

Aww! I loved it!

This is a young adult book. There isn't any "steamy" scenes in it. There isn't a lot of cursing or anything like that.

This book was just such a sweet, fun, and all around enjoyable read. I honestly didn't realize how quickly I was flipping through the pages.

So not only is it a sweet read, it's a quick one!
Idunsses
“Eyelash,” he says, rubbing his thumb to get rid of it.
“What about my wish?”
“I made it for you,” he says with a smile so crooked it makes her heart dip.

description

Ah, this novel was such a joy to read, and I was filled with a wonderful feeling of warmth after turning the final page. Even though it’s very short, only 200 or so pages, it is overflowing with such an amazing vocabulary, perfectly describing all the emotions (or “all the things”, as John Green said, when he recommended this book in one of h...more
Booknut
One of the best books I've read in a long time.

Everything came together like magic - the plot, the emotion (so real some of the sad parts choked me), the raw realness of it and especially the '24 hour' countdown per chapter. It was a book unlike any other with characters that will stay with me forever.

Hadley and Oliver. I swear, the way they met...it's every girl's dream to meet a guy like Oliver (and did I mention he's British?!) on an airplane trip to London. To be seat buddies. To confide in...more
Misty
Alright, I have some catching up to do. And if Twitter and Tumblr and Pinterest would just leave me alone for five minutes*, I could do it...
Um. Yeah... So I'm going to kick off the catch-up with a VERY belated mini-review of The Statistical Probability of the World's Longest Title of Love at First Sight, which I read in Februaryand really should have talked about by now.
So. Let's talk....more
Arlene
Jan 10, 2012 Arlene rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker - January Group Read
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

In The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight we get the chance to meet Hadley who is on her way to her father’s wedding in London. After continuous mishaps throughout the day, she finds herself four minutes late to her flight… and four minutes is all it takes to change the course of events for the next twenty four hours.

The title of the book The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a bit deceiving when it comes to representing what this story...more
~Tina~
I'm not sure if I believe in soul mates or love at first sight. However, I do believe in destiny. Everyone has a path and everything happens for a reason. Noting is merely a coincidence. I also believe in fate. How it can be cruel and unfair but it can also be your kindest friend and ally...

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is about 4 minutes of fates time to make sure Hadley Sullivan misses her flight to her father's wedding in London. A wedding that Hadley wasn't to keen on at...more
Susane Colasanti
This phenomenal depiction of an instant connection shows that everything happens for a reason. Smith's unique story will make you contemplate the magic of fate. I've been waiting for a love story like this forever.
Emily
Oh, gosh... I wanted to like it, I really did.

This book is just not my cup of tea.
Brodie
Oct 02, 2011 Brodie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Hadley Sullivan is four minutes late for the flight that will take her to England to see her father get remarried. She doesn't want to go, she's never even met the woman he's about to marry and the thought of spending the next few hours at 40,000 feet above ground, with no escape, isn't exactly comforting to a girl who's claustrophobic. But those 4 minutes - a mere 240 seconds - completely change the next 24 hours for Hadley and quite possibly, the rest of her life.

Hadly is carrying a lot of hur...more
Olivia McCloskey
If I recall correctly, this book was a Christmas present and my third read of the year. The previous two books I read kept me up at night, simply because they were well-written and immediately captured my attention. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for this book. I abstained from my late-night reading while I slowly struggled through this book. Though I felt well rested the next day, I was utterly bored while reading this and was tempted to throw up the white flag and move on.

The only rea...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I'm not really sure what to say about this book. I'm giving it two stars because, while I enjoyed reading it, I wasn't wowed, not even slightly. Standard, formulaic, and predictable, the only thing that really saves this story is the better-than-average-YA writing. I'm not sure how big of a compliment that is these days since the YA waters are teeming with the likes of Stephenie Meyer, Alyson Noel, and countless other fan-girl-posing-as-serious-author types, but I digress...

Hadley is not a very...more
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)
Okay, ignore my last status update, because about two pages after that, it picked up. If I weren't such a picky 5-star giver, this would be a five star.

UPDATE 3-6-12: That's it, I'm changing it to five stars.

Let me just say this first; the cover and title of this book is misleading. Very misleading. You see it and you groan inwardly thinking; Another cutesy little teen love story...

Here's what I say to those people:

description

It's not all about the two main characters falling in love, it's about their fam...more
Joana

" Is it better to have had a good thing and lost it, or never to have had it?"

Hadley never thought that 4 minutes could change her life.
For those 4 minutes she missed her flight, and she will be late for her father wedding. The thing is she doesn't want to go, she haven't seen her dad for over a year and she never even met her future stepmother.
Then, while waiting for the next flight, she met Oliver. Then, they realize they will both sit in the same row in the plane.
That meant they talked to ea...more
Dre
Aww...the feels! Makes me want to travel weekly or camp out in an airport!

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a mouthful, isn't it? Say it three times. C'mon! Yeah, that's right. The blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Looking at the title of the book, I was expecting to read about two people falling in love. Everything happened within 24 hours. My first thought was,will this be a case of a bad instant love affair? Well, it wasn't the case at all. Yes, part of the book includes...more
Sierra Abrams
*Update - the second time around... I basically bawled and want to curl up on my bed with the book tucked in my arms and cry for seven hours because this book is perfect and beautiful. My eyes are once again opened and I'm amazed and I will keep going if I don't stop here. Just keep reading my review - it says a lot more. (But not everything, because I could never say enough about this book. Ever.)*

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
  • Meant to Be
  • Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
  • A Midsummer's Nightmare
  • Sean Griswold's Head
  • My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door, #1)
  • Purity
  • Past Perfect
  • Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
  • In Honor
  • Don't Breathe a Word
  • The List
  • Something like Normal
  • Getting Over Garrett Delaney
Jennifer E. Smith is the author of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, The Storm Makers, You Are Here, and The Comeback Season. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and currently works as an editor in New York City. Her writing has been translated into 28 languages.
More about Jennifer E. Smith...
This is What Happy Looks Like The Geography of You and Me You Are Here The Comeback Season The Storm Makers

“It's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity.” 869 likes
“Love is the strangest, most illogical thing in the world.” 692 likes