Start by marking “Basket Moon” as Want to Read:
Basket Moon

Basket Moon

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A young boy grows up playing among the ash, oak, hickory, and maple trees that surround his home. He admires his father's basket-making skills and anticipates the time when he finally will be allowed to join his father on his monthly selling trip to the big city. But the boy is unprepared for the taunts of "hillbilly" and "bushwhacker" he encounters, and he begins to quest ...more
Published December 2nd 2005 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Basket Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basket Moon

Victoria Leininger-halpern
As far as stories go, this book had an interesting one, but at times it was fairly dull and lackluster and doesn't really grab your attention. A young boy admires his father's basket weaving skills, and when he finally gets the chance to help him, he is picked on in town and called names, so he decides to abandon the project. But he soon realizes that not everyone is going to agree with the things you like, and it is more important o be yourself than it is to please others.

The story in this boo
Megan Cureton
Basket Moon is about a young boy that grew up admiring and watching his father basket-weave to make baskets from the tress that surrounded their home. He couldn't wait until he was old enough to join his father whenever he went to the big city to sell his baskets. But when he arrives in the city, he wasn't prepared for the hillbilly remarks they get from the city people. This discourages the young boy, but he soon realizes that this is his heritage. I really enjoyed this book. I thought at first ...more
Patricia Stephens
Sep 26, 2014 Patricia Stephens rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
I just did not seem to like this book as much. When I was reading it, it was hard to focus on what I was reading because I felt like the story was not entertaining. It was just a plain story about a boy who dreamed to be a basket maker just like his dad one day and was discouraged after comments shouted towards the two of them when he accompanied his dad into town. The book was also very wordy, mostly when the narrator would list a bunch of items that were seen and when describing the terminolog ...more
Jean Hussey-Stone
Nov 23, 2015 Jean Hussey-Stone rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a wonderful book that tells about a boy coming of age and how listening to the talk of others can change your whole life.
"Basket Moon" is about a boy who wants to be like his father and hear the trees as well as travel to the big town with his father to sell the baskets his father makes by hand. The boy has to wait until his father says he can come and his father is waiting until he is old enough. However, he changes his mind about becoming like his father when some of the to
Hayley Swanson
Our young protagonist wants to go with his father, a basket-weaver, into town. Every full moon his father takes the baskets he's made that month into town and trades them for goods the family needs; because of this, our main character calls this the Basket Moon. When he's eight, he thinks he's old enough to finally go, but alas, he is not, and so he waits and waits as the months pass by. When he's nine, at last, he's old enough, and while things in town seem amazing at first, something happens t ...more
Rosemary
Jun 11, 2015 Rosemary rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
A great story for kids - a way of life that is gone by but should be remembered.
Matthew
Apr 21, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
This account of a boy grows up in a basket-weaving community in the mountains of New York was brilliantly executed. It brought up the the concept of prejudice very briefly as the boy must endure taunting from the townsfolk of Hudson when he goes with his father to sell baskets, but throughout it emphasized the importance of family pride and community support. The characters were strong and gentle. Very nicely done.
Hilary
Dec 10, 2009 Hilary rated it really liked it
Everyone wants to belong. This is true no matter what era a child grows up in. Mean words are hurtful.

But a well-made basket -- an object of practical beauty -- endures. And beauty, since it is in the eye of the beholder, can occur anywhere. Even in "everyday" homey objects.

It is worth remembering that nearly every basket a person uses was made by hand -- even today!
Clara Bowman-Jahn
Dec 12, 2012 Clara Bowman-Jahn rated it it was amazing
I love coming of age books and to find one in a picture book I think is just great. Loved the poetic language and the illustrations were perfect accompanies. The art really told a different story than the text and was a valuable addition. I think I could almost make my own baskets from reading this book because of the illustrations. the book is a five star book. :)
Jessica Tracy
Sep 21, 2010 Jessica Tracy rated it really liked it
This book is great for kids! It is easy to read and keeps your interest. It is not too wordy, but it is a little bit of a longer story. Ray does a great job at showing how it is important to be true to one's self and not give into others perceptions of you or the ones you love. I really enjoyed this book.
Acacia Casner
Dec 14, 2010 Acacia Casner rated it it was amazing
This book is about a boy who dreams of becoming a basket maker like his father. He starts to question his dreams when he goes with his father to the city to sell the baskets. The boy's father and him fall victim to harsh realities of discrimination. Will the boy continue to follow his dreams?
MissInformation
Nov 04, 2008 MissInformation rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Cooney writes stories with substance, and this is no exception. A boy whose family trade is basket making learns how other folks look down on them as "bushwhackers" but learns to be proud of,and true to,who he is.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Jessica Gates
Jun 13, 2012 Jessica Gates rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, it was a quick grab at the library, which turned out to be a favorite!
"Those were some wise words his mom had" was the response my 8 yr old had after reading it. :)
Andd Becker
Feb 23, 2013 Andd Becker rated it really liked it
Barbara Cooney's excellent illustrations enhance Mary Lyn Ray's story about a child's development of self-esteem. Read the book to learn about the art of making baskets.
Tracey
Jul 19, 2012 Tracey rated it it was amazing
Making Meaning Resource Kit grade 4

I really liked this book! Students are going to be learning about a lot of different things starting this school year!
Tammy Wagner
Apr 19, 2011 Tammy Wagner rated it it was amazing
A Making Meaning book that tells of the art of basket making in Hudson, New York back in the 1800's. Good for teaching memoir, and details.
Theresa
Sep 12, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
the traditions and old ways come a life again
Beckett O'Neal
Beckett O'Neal marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Shana.Jackson90yahoo.Com
Shana.Jackson90yahoo.Com marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Galatea Vita
Galatea Vita rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Maryjane Doliente
Maryjane Doliente marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Daniella Chuidian
Daniella Chuidian rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2016
Caryn
Caryn added it
Mar 12, 2016
Teka
Teka marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mary Lyn Ray is a conservationist and author of several picture books for children. She was born in Louisiana in 1946 and grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Ray has lived in New England since 1964, when she first came east to attend college. She currently lives in a 150-year-old farmhouse in South Danbury, New Hampshire, which she restored herself.
More about Mary Lyn Ray...