Start by marking “The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry” as Want to Read:
The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry

The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A new selection of tales from one of America's favorite storytellers, designed to appeal to young readers. He's a minster of the surprise ending and champion of the underdog. Includes such favorites as "The Ransom of Red Chief", "Gifts of the Magi", "The Furnished Room", "The Guilty Party", and more.
Published February 4th 1996 by Gramercy

Be the first to ask a question about The Ransom of Red Chief & Other Stories by O. Henry

Namiko
The Ransom of Red Chief is fun. I wonder if American boys is like him. Scared!
Cippi
Sep 23, 2008 Cippi added it
O. Henry's humorous, energetic style shows the influence of Mark Twain and Ambrose Bierce. The story tells about two kidnappers, who make off with the young son of a prominent man. They find out that the child is a real nuisance. In the end they agree to pay the boy's father to take him back. - "Sam," says Bill, "I suppose you'll think I'm a renegade. but I couldn't help it. I'm a grown person with masculine proclivities and habits of self-defense, but there is a time when all systems of egotism ...more
Joshua
Picked this up after reading "Gift of the Magi", "After Twenty Years", and "A Retrieved Reformation" in classes I was a substitute teacher for. Those were probably the best stories in the collection, but the whole thing is a fun read. O Henry has a great sense of humor, but also does excellent poignant stories.
Sharon
I love short stories. This is one of my favorite O. Henrys. Another that is more difficult to find is "The Pimienta Pancakes."
Keyri Velasquez
Keyri Velasquez marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Vilija Elizabeth
Vilija Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Shreyash Kotekar
Shreyash Kotekar marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Maria Acosta
Maria Acosta is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Euskal Srpski
Euskal Srpski marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
sanGulina
sanGulina marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Wolfpabiru
Wolfpabiru marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Viannz
Viannz marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Sandu Santosh
Sandu Santosh marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories The Best Short Stories of O. Henry