Start by marking “Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings” as Want to Read:
Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings

Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  18 reviews
As a unique feature, the Third Edition includes generous excerpts from Thoreau's journal, reprinted by special arrangements with Princeton University Press from the definitive edition of his writings. Spanning the years 1845-54, these selections vividly display Thoreau's intensive exploration of his local landscape; the fusion of literary and natural history field work tha ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1845)

To ask other readers questions about Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings

Kristi
Collected in this volume with Thoreau's masterpiece *Walden* is a representative selection of Thoreau's signature essays: "Civil Disobedience," "Slavery in Massachusetts," "Walking," and "Wild Apples." These works by Thoreau are among those literary texts that I enjoy more each time I read them. Every time I read Walden I find something new in it and I feel that I have never read this book before. His prose is among the most pithy and poetic. He has a sharp and dry wit that often makes me laugh ...more
Stuart
This is not a collection of quips but a call to evolve as people and a culture to be governed by their conscience and not the state. These views which he strongly voices are very much in the fabric of 'Anarchy' or self rule and abolition of the state.

It's very deep and I'm sure their are book length explanations detailing the contradictions that I read. Overall
I think the message is pretty clear:

"The mass of men serve the state thus, not as men but as machines, with their bodies. They are the st
Peter
Thoreau covers a lot of topics in his book. While I could agree with many of the principles exposes, I usually disagree with Thoreau on the specifics. I liked it most when I treated it as a poetic fictionalized story of Thoreau's time at Walden. His language was certainly pleasing, even if I thought many of his ideas were wrong.
Anne Nikoline
Jan 03, 2013 Anne Nikoline rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: American Renaissances fans
Recommended to Anne Nikoline by: teacher
I find it incredibly dificult to understand why so many people praises Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau because of the following: First of all, Thoreau appears to have had double standards; he praises his life in the woods of Walden like something glorifying, like it almost turned him into some kind of Messiah, yet he does not recommend this nature soft of life to others.

Furthermore he does not approve of hunting of any sorts because he believed humans shoul
Kenny
I finished Walden, finally. It took a good long year or so, and there are real nuggets of wisdom. It is a close pond after all, one I circled once with Kacie discussing nothing really. I got some fun pictures, though Thoreau might have thought they were dull. He definitely would have disapproved of the camera. We can't all do what he did, living such a minimal life of such sacrifice and pure honor to nature. we may have to live with limited means, and comforting words can help, but it doesn't fe ...more
Devon
I'm reading this for a history course this summer, on the American Transcendentalist movement. I read and wrote a critique on "Civil Disobedience," and will be reading Walden this week.

On "Civil Disobedience": While I appreciate the general ideas Thoreau proposes, of conscientious individualism as a foundation for a just and harmonious society among others, Thoreau's tone and attitude toward the majority of his fellow Americans is woefully contemptuous, thus quite upsetting, as it suggests that
Natalie
I have only read Walden so far. Except the descriptions of the ice....I loved it! Hope the kiddies enjoy it this summer, too!
Jimmy
Aug 22, 2009 Jimmy added it
You got to be careful what you give your kids to read, especially around the twelve to thirteen age. Because my mom gave me this back then, and I've basically spouted snippets of it as if they were my own ever since. If you're in a band, you should read it before getting on the road. It'll do wonders.
Brittany Rexroat
Walden really isn't so bad. There's a lot to weed through, but every now and then you find a gem of an idea that's really worthwhile. Reading this in conjunction with Robert Sullivan's "The Thoreau You Don't Know" also really helps with understanding Thoreau's style and humor.
B-MO
Picked the book up to read Civil Disobedience, decided to read Walden first cuz it came first in the book....I think I would have liked it better if read the other way.....

Any of yall been talkin bout that "INto the Wild" might enjoy this though....
Tobey Connor
Glad to have finally read these works thoroughly, pondering them on late nights in bed. Thoreau is a kindred spirit, and even more full of himself than I, which kept me from giving 5 stars. This is a good book to revisit for our times.
Frances
ENDELIG!!!!!!!!!!! endelig er jeg færdig med den (minus side 189-213, som jeg ikke får læst til i morgen i hvert fald..)

jeg håber aldrig jeg skal læse den igen!
Heather
Walden is pretty amazing. I liked it more than I expected, and the next time I visit the pond itself I'll have a new appreciation for it.
Kevin
Rating is for the Norton Critical Edition rather than simply the work, which would be slightly lower (~3
stars).
Mo Tipton
I have no idea why I didn't read this ages ago, but I was completely blown away.
Tom
Aug 30, 2012 Tom marked it as to-read
my book actaully entitled walden and civil disobedience
Jess Eagle
I love Walking. I hate Economy.
Enzo
I read Walden.
Khara Brooks
Khara Brooks marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Logan
Logan added it
Apr 22, 2015
Becca Twitchell
Becca Twitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Priscilla Moreno
Priscilla Moreno marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Simon Andre
Simon Andre marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Prose and Poetry
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Tragedies
  • The Origin of German Tragic Drama
  • Please Don't Call Me Human
  • "You Gotta Be the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents (Language and Literacy Series )
  • Regeneration Through Violence: The Mythology of the American Frontier, 1600–1860
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
  • An Introduction to Hinduism
  • Bhagavad-Gita: The Song of God
  • On Deconstruction
  • Leaves of Grass and Other Writings (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language
  • The Best American Essays 2009
  • The Rape of Shavi: A Novel
  • The Conspiracy of Art: Manifestos, Interviews, Essays
  • Culture and Anarchy
  • All That We Share
  • Fiction and the Figures of Life
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau)was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books,
More about Henry David Thoreau...
Walden Walden & Civil Disobedience Civil Disobedience and Other Essays (Collected Essays) Walking Walden and Other Writings

“It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even to most enormous wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support.” 1 likes