Start by marking “Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings” as Want to Read:
Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings

Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings

"Reviews and Posthumous Assessments" for this edition collects eight new reviews of Thoreau's antislavery and late environmental essays as well as ofWalden. To the influential portraits of Thoreau by Ralph Waldo Emerson and James Russell Lowell, the Third Edition adds John Burroughs's "Another Word on Thoreau," his response to them and to his great predecessor. "Recent Cri ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1845)

To ask other readers questions about Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings

Kristi
Mar 10, 2013 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Collected in this volume with Thoreau's masterpiece *Walden* is a representative selection of Thoreau's signature essays: "Civil Disobedience," "Slavery in Massachusetts," "Walking," and "Wild Apples." These works by Thoreau are among those literary texts that I enjoy more each time I read them. Every time I read Walden I find something new in it and I feel that I have never read this book before. His prose is among the most pithy and poetic. He has a sharp and dry wit that often makes me laugh ...more
Katie
Jan 02, 2017 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ugh I can't do it. Been picking it up on and off for two-plus years now to read Walden, and it feels like a waste of time to finish. It's just. so. boring. Rich dude lives in the woods and passes judgment on everyone else for not living a simpler life. Thoreau just seems so out of touch with reality. I think this book should be replaced with more diverse options in the canon.

Two stars for Walden. But I've read Civil Disobedience in the past and remember really liking it and being impressed with
Stuart
Feb 24, 2015 Stuart rated it really liked it
This is not a collection of quips but a call to evolve as people and a culture to be governed by their conscience and not the state. These views which he strongly voices are very much in the fabric of 'Anarchy' or self rule and abolition of the state.

It's very deep and I'm sure their are book length explanations detailing the contradictions that I read. Overall
I think the message is pretty clear:

"The mass of men serve the state thus, not as men but as machines, with their bodies. They are the st
Nikoline
Sep 12, 2012 Nikoline rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: American Renaissances fans
Recommended to Nikoline by: teacher
I find it incredibly dificult to understand why so many people praises Walden, Civil Disobedience, and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau because of the following: First of all, Thoreau appears to have had double standards; he praises his life in the woods of Walden like something glorifying, like it almost turned him into some kind of Messiah, yet he does not recommend this nature soft of life to others.

Furthermore he does not approve of hunting of any sorts because he believed humans shoul
Kenny
I finished Walden, finally. It took a good long year or so, and there are real nuggets of wisdom. It is a close pond after all, one I circled once with Kacie discussing nothing really. I got some fun pictures, though Thoreau might have thought they were dull. He definitely would have disapproved of the camera. We can't all do what he did, living such a minimal life of such sacrifice and pure honor to nature. we may have to live with limited means, and comforting words can help, but it doesn't fe ...more
Devon
Jun 09, 2009 Devon rated it liked it
I'm reading this for a history course this summer, on the American Transcendentalist movement. I read and wrote a critique on "Civil Disobedience," and will be reading Walden this week.

On "Civil Disobedience": While I appreciate the general ideas Thoreau proposes, of conscientious individualism as a foundation for a just and harmonious society among others, Thoreau's tone and attitude toward the majority of his fellow Americans is woefully contemptuous, thus quite upsetting, as it suggests that
Peter
Jan 09, 2015 Peter rated it it was ok
Thoreau covers a lot of topics in his book. While I could agree with many of the principles exposes, I usually disagree with Thoreau on the specifics. I liked it most when I treated it as a poetic fictionalized story of Thoreau's time at Walden. His language was certainly pleasing, even if I thought many of his ideas were wrong.
Ashley Adams
It probably helps that I read Walden around the age of 30. When I was already sufficiently downtrodden by a workforce that treats me as a machine. Thoreau's experiment in self-sufficiency is truly inspiring. Though certainly imperfect, Thoreau encourages readers to think about what is truly important in our individual lives.
Tobey Connor
Sep 07, 2013 Tobey Connor rated it really liked it
Glad to have finally read these works thoroughly, pondering them on late nights in bed. Thoreau is a kindred spirit, and even more full of himself than I, which kept me from giving 5 stars. This is a good book to revisit for our times.
Brittany Rexroat
Aug 25, 2010 Brittany Rexroat rated it liked it
Shelves: school, classics
Walden really isn't so bad. There's a lot to weed through, but every now and then you find a gem of an idea that's really worthwhile. Reading this in conjunction with Robert Sullivan's "The Thoreau You Don't Know" also really helps with understanding Thoreau's style and humor.
B-MO
Nov 17, 2008 B-MO rated it liked it
Picked the book up to read Civil Disobedience, decided to read Walden first cuz it came first in the book....I think I would have liked it better if read the other way.....

Any of yall been talkin bout that "INto the Wild" might enjoy this though....
Chrisanne
Sep 18, 2015 Chrisanne rated it really liked it
The works of the transcendentalists bring up good points, but their journals and parts of their writings bring up other facts: that they were just as insecure about their ideas as the average man-- interspersed with spurts of egocentrism.

May I never go to that egocentric place in my life. Ever.
Kacey
Dec 10, 2012 Kacey rated it really liked it
I loved reading and analyzing Thoreau's works in the classroom setting. I learned a lot and was able to connect what I read with a lot of other classic works. I enjoyed his writing style as well.
Kevin
Dec 05, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Rating is for the Norton Critical Edition rather than simply the work, which would be slightly lower (~3
stars).
Enzo
Feb 15, 2011 Enzo rated it it was amazing
I read Walden.
Melissa
Dec 26, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I have no idea why I didn't read this ages ago, but I was completely blown away.
Victory Lee
Jul 24, 2016 Victory Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. I also like the fact that this version combines 3 Thoreau classics.
Tracy Lowe
Feb 16, 2016 Tracy Lowe rated it really liked it
A friend recommended this - the Walden part of the book - and I'm glad he did. I particularly like the discussions re essentials of life versus luxuries of life.... thought provoking.
Tom
Aug 30, 2012 Tom marked it as to-read
my book actaully entitled walden and civil disobedience
Frances
Aug 22, 2012 Frances rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
ENDELIG!!!!!!!!!!! endelig er jeg færdig med den (minus side 189-213, som jeg ikke får læst til i morgen i hvert fald..)

jeg håber aldrig jeg skal læse den igen!
Natalie
Jun 09, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
I have only read Walden so far. Except the descriptions of the ice....I loved it! Hope the kiddies enjoy it this summer, too!
Jess Eagle
Feb 09, 2010 Jess Eagle rated it really liked it
I love Walking. I hate Economy.
Heather
Apr 13, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: orals-list
Walden is pretty amazing. I liked it more than I expected, and the next time I visit the pond itself I'll have a new appreciation for it.
Candice Richardson
Candice Richardson rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Kristen Riot
Kristen Riot rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Daniel Gillespie
Daniel Gillespie rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Josh Katzenmeyer
Josh Katzenmeyer rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2014
David Archer
David Archer rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
  • Prose and Poetry
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Tragedies
  • The Origin of German Tragic Drama
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tales
  • The Pursuit of Signs: Semiotics, Literature, Deconstruction
  • "You Gotta Be the Book": Teaching Engaged and Reflective Reading With Adolescents (Language and Literacy Series )
  • Leaves of Grass and Other Writings
  • An Introduction to Hinduism
  • Vermeer in Bosnia: Selected Writings
  • Please Don't Call Me Human
  • The Canterbury Tales: Fifteen Tales and the General Prologue
  • Touchstone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction: Work from 1970 to the Present
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
  • Love is a Choice:  Making Your Marriage and Family Stronger
  • The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language
  • All That We Share
  • Ecocriticism
  • The Reckless Mind: Intellectuals in Politics
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau) was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books
More about Henry David Thoreau...

“It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even to most enormous wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support.” 2 likes
“We should treat our minds, that is, ourselves, as innocent and ingenuous children, whose guardians we are, and be careful what objects and what subjects we thrust on their attention.” 0 likes