Start by marking “Time Out Of Mind” as Want to Read:
Time Out Of Mind

Time Out Of Mind

Manhattan executive Corbin is haunted by memories of another time, memories that do not belong to him. Then, in the midst of a raging New York City snowstorm, the inexplicable images become more vivid and real. And before he knows it, Jonathan Corbin has stepped into a bygone world of gaslit streets and horse-drawn carriages -- and into the center of a nineteenth-century m ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 511 pages
Published February 1987 by Tor Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Time Out Of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Out Of Mind

Stephen Russell
Not so much the 'ghost story' that it is pitched as being, given the quotes used on the back of the copy I read, but instead an interesting mystery that, although overly long at times in the minutiae of old school New York City, nevertheless invites you to come down the rabbit hole with its main character, Jonathan Corbin.

The story follows Corbin on a journey of discovery as he struggles to deal with his slipping grasp of reality. Every time it snows, he finds himself misplaced in time; no long
Janet Whalen-Jones
Jonathan Corbin is losing his mind, reliving the experiences of someone else in the 1880s. Thru the course of the book, we learn his memories are ancestral, and a story of love and lies among the bluebloods of old New York unfolds. Family treachery drives the plot. Use of real figures as supporting cast lends a sense of authenticity to the historical sequences which are the heart of the story. The protagonist's loosening grip on temporal reality and battle to retain a sense of self as the past b ...more
Michal
a book I continue to think about. I want to find a copy and reread it.
so I reread it. It's not what I remember, which is a ghost story, or timetravel.
Still a good read. Strong writing in a complex plot. I'm intrigued by the POV he used so well.
Marge Bergland
Aug 17, 2008 Marge Bergland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marge by: Connie Andrew
Good read. Well written
Stephen
Mar 19, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agreat take on time travel, mystery and ancestral memory..some historical. I enjoyed this so much I read it again..
Marian
Aug 16, 2012 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-have-it

Read this in 1986 and loved it. Just recently purchased it and now reading it again!!!
Jessy245
Mar 20, 2011 Jessy245 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Platforms but a really unique book worth reading.
Samantha
Jul 28, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Denise
Jun 26, 2012 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The underlying idea of "genetic memories" is intriguing and "Time of of Mind" was my first exposure to the concept. John Maxim explores the implications of this concept in two ways. The main character, Corbin, experiences genetic memories, perhaps to extreme. Gwen is amazingly accepting of the idea of genetic memories and supports Corbin's efforts to probe the events that devastated his family some 60 years ago.

The "blurb" for this book appealed, so I took advantage of $0 pricing to download the
Kathy
Interesting concept for a story: Johnathon is possessed by his grandfather Tilden's ghost, who shows Johnathon scenes from the past and takes over Johnathon's actions at times. The story covers Johnathon's and Tilden's lives, moving back and forth between them. Johnathon could be walking down a busy, modern New York City street and be confronted by buildings and people from the late 1800's or early 1900's. Could get confusing if you don't pay attention.

Wasn't reformatted properly for Kindle and
Lee Schlesinger
This book has so many flaws I don't know where to begin. It's sort of a time travel novel without real time travel. The author sets up a premise as to how this is accomplished, then promptly violates his own (dumb) rationale, and when he needs the characters to have other psychic powers, whaddaya know, they do. You also get viewpoint characters changing from paragraph to paragraph, and once in a while within a paragraph. And more, but I won't go on. On the plus side, there's some nice research i ...more
Mary
May 28, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story was interesting and the details of 1880s New York City was fascinating. The characters were likeable (or not) and engaged my interest.
On the downside, the formatting was terrible - words in the middle of the line were hyphenated for no reason, "and" became "arid" on more than one occasion. The breaks between the pov's was non-existent, although in reading along it was obvious after a moment. I would read more of this author.
Caryanne
Interesting story line, well developed characters, kept me going. Lot of LONG descriptions, many irrelevant, so I skipped several pages. A bit slow for the first 2/3 or so- kind of repetitive. The last 1/3 definitely exciting. Free Amazon book is why I read it. Overall ok read, but not highly recommended.
Lynn Demsky
Was an awful LONG detailed story -- was difficult for me because the print was too small to read, even on the biggest setting, just wasn't right! Also every hyphen possible in a word was displayed (which made it extremely difficult to read). Pages were not formatted correctly either, every other page was different! Story was just too long, not very believable!
Mildred Slattery
My all time favorite book!!!

I have bought this book several times, including a first edition. It embodies the perfect ghost story, along with adventure and some fascinating tidbits of history along the way. I totally admire the heroes and only wish I could actually meet them, but I'm thrilled to share their lives and worlds through this book.
Amy
Jan 22, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent mystery, suspense, and fantasy. 1890's New York. Get to know Theodore Roosevelt before he was president.Meet the railroad barons. I love this book.
Shereevegas
Jul 07, 2012 Shereevegas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
could not get into this book.. got confused.. to much info that was not needed for the story line might try and read later..
Debbi
Jul 08, 2013 Debbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Debbi by: Mother
This is one of my favorite books. I re-read it often. The premise on which the plot turns has always fascinated me.
Robin Brian
Interesting

It's a fascinating historically influenced story ....a little confusing at times...I suggest trying to read it in one fell swoop!
Cynthia Prasse
Sep 24, 2012 Cynthia Prasse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This absolutely my favorite fiction book. I have worn out 2 copies already.
Ann
May 12, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was truly absorbed by this richly detailed story. It's a blend of historical fiction, time travel, mystery, and romance that had me in its thrall.
Deborah Veres
Deborah Veres rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
May 05, 2011
Bill corrao
Bill corrao rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2011
Lynne Ensign
Lynne Ensign rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Necrophidian
Necrophidian rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Donald Grant
Donald Grant rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
  • Millie's Rose
  • Perigee
  • Sterling Redmond
  • The Four Last Things (Simeon Grist Mystery, #1)
  • Granny Heist
  • The Sun Zebra
  • Seven Ways to Die
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Kindred Crimes
  • Sacrifice (Nicci Beauvoir #3)
  • Gabriel's Angel
  • Dream of a Spring Night (Hollow Reed, #1)
  • The Burned Tower
  • Come Be My Love
  • Monarch
  • The Threshold
  • Lady Scandal
  • Elizabeth's Secrets
19701
John R. Maxim was born in Greenwich Village, NYC, educated at NY Jesuit Schools (Xavier and Fordham) played all the street sports and most team sports.
Comes from a family of cops and a few Feds. After school, took up flying, skydiving and dirt-track stock car racing until the Military decided it could do without him. Then went into marketing and advertising. Several awards. Rose to Senior VP at ma
More about John R. Maxim...